Ravens at Browns      Game Rewind      Rice Jersey Exchange   

Photo

The Ravens Requested No Prime-time Game In Pitts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

#21 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Let's face it, as supremely confident as we all are in our Ravens, there's only something like a 30% chance of winning what is essentially another homecoming game for the Steelers. To play the defending Super Bowl champions in their home stadium, on a night with the same atmosphere as a coronation, is like being a lamb led to slaughter.

And seriously, a loss to start the season 0-1 is demoralizing, even though it's early. It especially doesn't help the psyche of the younger players, to play in such a hostile environment with all odds against them, and to come out with a loss. On the flip side, it would, of course, be a huge boost to have a repeat of the Dallas game last season and beat the Steelers at home on one of the biggest nights in team history -- but lightning doesn't always strike twice in that regard.

It's a nice idea, to upset the defending champs at home in Week 1, but I'd rather start the season healthy, if you know what I mean. EVERY Ravens-Steelers game has ended with a player getting hurt on both teams, and we don't need a key starter going down so early.

Posted Image

#22 neepo13

neepo13

Purple K0Olaid Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Not to mention when we start the season with a loss, we dont make the playoffs that year. It is extremally important for us to win our first game just based on our recent track record when we lose on opening day.

Edited by neepo13, 20 March 2009 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image

#23 thewarden86

thewarden86

Steeler Fan Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

oh stop your laughing.

We've played prime time in your house every year.

Its time you come to our house.

Btw I swear it seems like everytime i see Pittsburgh it seems like there at home, anybody else think that too?

Wasn't the game in B-More this year prime-time?

Posted Image

"You have earned some latitude and you generally make sense, even if it's silly Pittsburgh sense."

#24 neepo13

neepo13

Purple K0Olaid Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Wasn't the game in B-More this year prime-time?

Depends on if you consider 4 p.m. primetime. Primetime to me, are games being played while no other game is on. TNF, MNF, SNF.
Posted Image

#25 thewarden86

thewarden86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

Depends on if you consider 4 p.m. primetime. Primetime to me, are games being played while no other game is on. TNF, MNF, SNF.

I thought I remembered it being at night but that's because it was bumped to 4pm. No, you're right: Night games are after 8:30 pm.

Posted Image

"You have earned some latitude and you generally make sense, even if it's silly Pittsburgh sense."

#26 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Who cares if the Ravens requested it or not? Watch the league still screw Baltimore over and make them play that game anyway! Remember this past season when we got no BYE week? If you've been a Baltimore fan long enough, you already know to expect the worst when it comes to the league, the officials, etc.

#27 thewarden86

thewarden86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

Who cares if the Ravens requested it or not? Watch the league still screw Baltimore over and make them play that game anyway! Remember this past season when we got no BYE week? If you've been a Baltimore fan long enough, you already know to expect the worst when it comes to the league, the officials, etc.

That's because God hates the Ravens. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#28 edreedfromtheu

edreedfromtheu

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

haha, i wouldn't be surprised!

#29 thewarden86

thewarden86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

:lol:

Posted Image

#30 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Well there was that playclock miracle against the Titans.

I agree with you though: if the defending champs want to play us, then we'll probably have no choice. However, don't forget that the Steelers know they are going to get hurt playing us; they might not want to start the season out with injuries either.

EdReedTrain.png

#31 SupaBwandin

SupaBwandin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Doesnt matter to me.

Edited by SupaBwandin, 20 March 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#32 rayvenfan_52

rayvenfan_52

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

Well if the 1st game of the season does happen to be the Steelers vs Ravens then here is one thing Id like not to happen.

Rain

The rain is evil from Heinz Stadium. Sure it helps teams sometimes but it gives the Steelers a TD on defense once every time it rains. It never ceases to amaze me how many times the rain would help any team just a little but when its the Steelers turn it gives them key stuff like say a defensive TD for instance.

May it never rain at Heinz Stadium ever again... (during the Ravens games only)
nani??? <--- means too much anime

#33 Ravnet

Ravnet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Let's face it, as supremely confident as we all are in our Ravens, there's only something like a 30% chance of winning what is essentially another homecoming game for the Steelers. To play the defending Super Bowl champions in their home stadium, on a night with the same atmosphere as a coronation, is like being a lamb led to slaughter.

I'm not scared of the "Super Bowl champions," it's just that the Steelers match up with our team all too well. Our teams are carbon copies of each other, and at least right now, Ben is better than Flacco, especially in the deciding moments of the game. Things will even up this year, but not by week one.

Honestly though, when was the last time Pittsburgh came to our house on Sunday/Monday/Saturday/Thursday night?

Going on the road is one thing, but playing on an unkempt field against a team that matches up too well is another.

Irrespective of the fact that it makes sense, they're our rival, and we're backing down, which is still embarrassing.

#34 Ravnet

Ravnet

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

haha, i wouldn't be surprised!

I'd say we've gotten our fair share of lucky breaks.

Anyway, why would the NFL ever agree to this? The Ravens - Steelers would probably draw more viewers than pretty much any other opponent.

Edited by Ravnet, 20 March 2009 - 06:16 PM.

#35 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,128 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Anyway, why would the NFL ever agree to this? The Ravens - Steelers would probably draw more viewers than pretty much any other opponent.

Agreed. At least, the game would draw more viewers than any other opponent that the team could conceivably play at home in their slate of '09 opponents. If the NFL had its way, Steelers-Cowboys would be this year's Week 1 season opener because of their huge fanbases -- but obviously, can't happen this year.

So, looking at their home opponents, if the Ravens aren't play the Steelers in Week 1, then the only "money" games I see are the Chargers or Titans. A divisional game with the Bengals or Browns could easily turn into a snoozefest if those two teams are anything like they were last season. And an interconference game with either the Packers or Vikings wouldn't really be that easy to promote, given how little recent history they have with the Steelers.

I say the Steelers get a rematch with the Titans in Week 1, only because of the towel-stomping incident from last season.

Posted Image

#36 FerrariFan87

FerrariFan87

Trust Me, A Jedi I Am

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,290 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I hate night games period, but against the Squealers, it makes it that much worse...

2550rra.jpg

#37 neepo13

neepo13

Purple K0Olaid Drinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,037 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

I hate night games period, but against the Squealers, it makes it that much worse...

I wouldnt mind playing them in a primetime game in OUR HOUSE. Every time we play a primetime game vs Pitt, its in Pitt.
Posted Image

#38 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,755 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Another thought on this too- if they played it that way the Ravens would be able to have they home opener until 3weeks into the season because of the Orioles schedule they only open dates are the September 13 and 27th and then again October 11th. Because the stadiums share parking lots they will not schedule games the same weekend. I would almost bet money this is the reasoning.
68f2a8.jpg

#39 plesiosaur

plesiosaur

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Nah, because the refs loved Santonio Holmes!!!! :lol:

#40 BmoreRav

BmoreRav

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Am i the only one who thinks this would be perfect???

Think about it, we play the Steelers when their 'cold', the best time to play them at Heinz Field and if we do win we begin the season top of the division and with great confidence!!!

If we do lose we can basically move on because we are not expected to win that game anyway!!!! (who expects us to win at Heinz Field?)

I know momentum is a big thing but if we have the opportunity to start the season with Pittsburgh on the back foot or worst case scenario lose a game we're expected to lose anyway then its a no brainer for me.
Posted Image