Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonymontana45

The Ravens Requested No Prime-time Game In Pitts

149 posts in this topic

[url="http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens320,0,7828732.story"]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,7828732.story[/url]

Source: Ravens ask NFL for no prime-time game in Pittsburgh

By Jamison Hensley | jamison.hensley@baltsun.com

Contrary to rumors, the Ravens are not expected to kick off the 2009 regular season at the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers in the Thursday night season opener.

As part of their scheduling requests to the league, the Ravens asked not to play a prime-time game at Heinz Field this season, a team official told The Baltimore Sun.

The Ravens have played a nationally televised game at Pittsburgh for three of the past four seasons, including the past two years. The Ravens have never won a prime-time game at Pittsburgh, losing all four times.

It has become tradition that the defending Super Bowl champion opens the NFL season with a nationally televised game at home. There were rumors that the league would begin with Ravens-Steelers, a rematch of the AFC championship game.

The first games of the 2009 season -- the prime-time games for Thursday, Sunday and Monday nights -- are expected to be announced next week at the NFL owners meetings. The rest of the regular-season schedule is usually announced in April.

I for one am happy and would rather play at home week one against an easier opponent. We don't need to play in pitts week one, when they have their superbowl celebration.

who in their right mind would want to open the season at Pittsburgh in what would basically be a "homcoming game"

[quote name='DTenGil' post='170798' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:23 PM']who in their right mind would want to open the season at Pittsburgh in what would basically be a "homcoming game"[/quote]
The Steelers. Lol, probably someone like the Browns will get stuck with it.

[quote name='darklight1216' post='170799' date='Mar 20 2009, 01:25 PM']The Steelers. Lol, probably someone like the Browns will get stuck with it.[/quote]

Ah the Browns.... what a mess lol. That would be just their luck.

[quote name='RavenWarrior11' post='170820' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:35 PM']Ah the Browns.... what a mess lol. That would be just their luck.[/quote]
Lol, i laughed so hard. I don't wish that on anyone. I bet it will be the titans. If they played the Jets this year I would say move the Jets to that game since they want to be us.

[url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=8478"]http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=8478[/url]

.....already being discussed.

[url="http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=8478"]http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=8478[/url]

[quote name='OnOurWaytoSIX' post='170828' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:11 PM']<troll post>..

Hmmm, who would have thought.[/quote]

In essence, its similar to the whole Ravens at Dallas deal.. Dallas requested a game against an "easy" opponent to ensure a victory as the last game in their stadium.. But nobody is calling them chicken.. Quite frankly, i dont blame the Ravens, im not saying we would lose the game against Pitt, but id much rather play an easy opponent and start off 1-0 instead of starting the season off against a tough opponent with the possibility of starting 0-1..

I know we are not lucky on prime time against the steelers but so what let the players play dammit. It will be a hell of a win.

It wouldn't make much sense for the Ravens to open their season with another loss. We're one of the better team in the league, but playing in Pittsburgh at night is just a death trap.

Why don't they come to our place once in a while on Monday night?

Why can't Pitt play here? It does look strange all the Prime Time games are there. No prime Time games would be fine too :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Moderator 2' post='170845' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:53 PM']Why can't Pitt play here? It does look strange all the Prime Time games are there. No prime Time games would be fine too :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I wouldn't be against opening in WK 1 in PIT on a Monday night and then closing in WK 17 in BAL on a Monday night. It's always a great game.

[quote name='thewarden86' post='170819' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:35 PM']:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

oh stop your laughing.

We've played prime time in your house every year.

Its time you come to our house.

Btw I swear it seems like everytime i see Pittsburgh it seems like there at home, anybody else think that too?

Let's face it, as supremely confident as we all are in our Ravens, there's only something like a 30% chance of winning what is essentially another homecoming game for the Steelers. To play the defending Super Bowl champions in their home stadium, on a night with the same atmosphere as a coronation, is like being a lamb led to slaughter.

And seriously, a loss to start the season 0-1 is demoralizing, even though it's early. It especially doesn't help the psyche of the younger players, to play in such a hostile environment with all odds against them, and to come out with a loss. On the flip side, it would, of course, be a huge boost to have a repeat of the Dallas game last season and beat the Steelers at home on one of the biggest nights in team history -- but lightning doesn't always strike twice in that regard.

It's a nice idea, to upset the defending champs at home in Week 1, but I'd rather start the season healthy, if you know what I mean. EVERY Ravens-Steelers game has ended with a player getting hurt on both teams, and we don't need a key starter going down so early.

Not to mention when we start the season with a loss, we dont make the playoffs that year. It is extremally important for us to win our first game just based on our recent track record when we lose on opening day.

[quote name='Ravenskid2085' post='170851' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:22 PM']oh stop your laughing.

We've played prime time in your house every year.

Its time you come to our house.

Btw I swear it seems like everytime i see Pittsburgh it seems like there at home, anybody else think that too?[/quote]

Wasn't the game in B-More this year prime-time?

[quote name='thewarden86' post='170858' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:09 PM']Wasn't the game in B-More this year prime-time?[/quote]

Depends on if you consider 4 p.m. primetime. Primetime to me, are games being played while no other game is on. TNF, MNF, SNF.

[quote name='neepo13' post='170861' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:13 PM']Depends on if you consider 4 p.m. primetime. Primetime to me, are games being played while no other game is on. TNF, MNF, SNF.[/quote]

I thought I remembered it being at night but that's because it was bumped to 4pm. No, you're right: Night games are after 8:30 pm.

Who cares if the Ravens requested it or not? Watch the league still screw Baltimore over and make them play that game anyway! Remember this past season when we got no BYE week? If you've been a Baltimore fan long enough, you already know to expect the worst when it comes to the league, the officials, etc.

[quote name='edreedfromtheu' post='170863' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:21 PM']Who cares if the Ravens requested it or not? Watch the league still screw Baltimore over and make them play that game anyway! Remember this past season when we got no BYE week? If you've been a Baltimore fan long enough, you already know to expect the worst when it comes to the league, the officials, etc.[/quote]

That's because God hates the Ravens. :rolleyes:

[quote name='thewarden86' post='170864' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:23 PM']That's because God hates the Ravens. :rolleyes:[/quote]

haha, i wouldn't be surprised!

[quote name='edreedfromtheu' post='170863' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:21 PM']Who cares if the Ravens requested it or not? Watch the league still screw Baltimore over and make them play that game anyway! Remember this past season when we got no BYE week? If you've been a Baltimore fan long enough, you already know to expect the worst when it comes to the league, the [b]officials[/b], etc.[/quote]
Well there was that playclock miracle against the Titans.

I agree with you though: if the defending champs want to play us, then we'll probably have no choice. However, don't forget that the Steelers know they are going to get hurt playing us; they might not want to start the season out with injuries either.

Well if the 1st game of the season does happen to be the Steelers vs Ravens then here is one thing Id like not to happen.

[b]Rain[/b]

The rain is evil from Heinz Stadium. Sure it helps teams sometimes but it gives the Steelers a TD on defense once every time it rains. It never ceases to amaze me how many times the rain would help any team just a little but when its the Steelers turn it gives them key stuff like say a defensive TD for instance.

May it never rain at Heinz Stadium ever again... (during the Ravens games only)

[quote name='theFRANCHISE' post='170855' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:42 PM']Let's face it, as supremely confident as we all are in our Ravens, there's only something like a 30% chance of winning what is essentially another homecoming game for the Steelers. To play the defending Super Bowl champions in their home stadium, on a night with the same atmosphere as a coronation, is like being a lamb led to slaughter.[/quote]

I'm not scared of the "Super Bowl champions," it's just that the Steelers match up with our team all too well. Our teams are carbon copies of each other, and at least right now, Ben is better than Flacco, especially in the deciding moments of the game. Things will even up this year, but not by week one.

Honestly though, when was the last time Pittsburgh came to our house on Sunday/Monday/Saturday/Thursday night?

Going on the road is one thing, but playing on an unkempt field against a team that matches up too well is another.

Irrespective of the fact that it makes sense, they're our rival, and we're backing down, which is still embarrassing.

[quote name='edreedfromtheu' post='170867' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:27 PM']haha, i wouldn't be surprised![/quote]

I'd say we've gotten our fair share of lucky breaks.

Anyway, why would the NFL ever agree to this? The Ravens - Steelers would probably draw more viewers than pretty much any other opponent.

[quote name='Ravnet' post='170904' date='Mar 20 2009, 07:04 PM']Anyway, why would the NFL ever agree to this? The Ravens - Steelers would probably draw more viewers than pretty much any other opponent.[/quote]
Agreed. At least, the game would draw more viewers than any other opponent that the team could conceivably play at home in their slate of '09 opponents. If the NFL had its way, Steelers-Cowboys would be this year's Week 1 season opener because of their huge fanbases -- but obviously, can't happen this year.

So, looking at their home opponents, if the Ravens aren't play the Steelers in Week 1, then the only "money" games I see are the Chargers or Titans. A divisional game with the Bengals or Browns could easily turn into a snoozefest if those two teams are anything like they were last season. And an interconference game with either the Packers or Vikings wouldn't really be that easy to promote, given how little recent history they have with the Steelers.

I say the Steelers get a rematch with the Titans in Week 1, only because of the towel-stomping incident from last season.

I hate night games period, but against the Squealers, it makes it that much worse...

[quote name='FerrariFan87' post='170934' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:47 PM']I hate night games period, but against the Squealers, it makes it that much worse...[/quote]

I wouldnt mind playing them in a primetime game in OUR HOUSE. Every time we play a primetime game vs Pitt, its in Pitt.

Another thought on this too- if they played it that way the Ravens would be able to have they home opener until 3weeks into the season because of the Orioles schedule they only open dates are the September 13 and 27th and then again October 11th. Because the stadiums share parking lots they will not schedule games the same weekend. I would almost bet money this is the reasoning.

[quote name='thewarden86' post='170864' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:23 PM']That's because God hates the Ravens. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Nah, because the refs loved Santonio Holmes!!!! :lol:

Am i the only one who thinks this would be perfect???

Think about it, we play the Steelers when their 'cold', the best time to play them at Heinz Field and if we do win we begin the season top of the division and with great confidence!!!

If we do lose we can basically move on because we are not expected to win that game anyway!!!! (who expects us to win at Heinz Field?)

I know momentum is a big thing but if we have the opportunity to start the season with Pittsburgh on the back foot or worst case scenario lose a game we're expected to lose anyway then its a no brainer for me.

I'm thinking their tired of the refs giving them the game. Maybe their thinking that if it's not nationally televised the refs will be less willing to make sure the Steelers win.

Yay, we've had bad luck in Pitt primetime game wise.. I still haven't gotton over the horriable pathetic loss we had in 06 I think it was when Mcnair was QB and it was raining, I left at the end of the 2nd quarter because we were already losing 27-zipppppp... bad bad times. If anything I'd much rather not play them at all.. but let the first game be an easily beatable team. I hate when we start the season off losing a game!

[quote name='Moderator 2' post='170948' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:31 PM']Another thought on this too- if they played it that way the Ravens would be able to have they home opener until 3weeks into the season because of the Orioles schedule they only open dates are the September 13 and 27th and then again October 11th. Because the stadiums share parking lots they will not schedule games the same weekend. I would almost bet money this is the reasoning.[/quote]

I overlooked that; great point.

[quote name='thewarden86' post='170858' date='Mar 20 2009, 05:09 PM']Wasn't the game in B-More this year prime-time?[/quote]
it got moved to 4:15.
I'm saying we always play Monday Night in Pittsburgh.

As much as I'd like to get another shot at Pittsburgh at Ketchupville Primetime again, thanks, but no thanks for the ring ceremony night, and I'm sure this is what the Front Office felt.

[quote name='macbrak' post='170997' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:08 PM']As much as I'd like to get another shot at Pittsburgh at Ketchupville Primetime again, thanks, but no thanks for the ring ceremony night, and I'm sure this is what the Front Office felt.[/quote]

Another good point if it's on that night.

[quote name='ravens world' post='170999' date='Mar 20 2009, 11:09 PM']They should of requested to not play pittsburg at all thats 2 losses we could take away.[/quote]
Oh, we can beat them.
This year was the first time in like 6 years they ever swept us.
we'll get at least 1 W in that series next year.

Why cant we play the steelers at home on primetime we always go to pittsburg for primetime ? Maybe playing at home vs the sb champs on monday night will help the ravens beat the steelers .