Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

Is Cam Cameron Right For Our Team?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:17 AM

I tried to stay faithful to our coaches and trust that they know football better than I do. Cameron's play calling seems to be the undoing of our offense. We have play makers. We have four menacing RB that could be unstoppable if used right.

I was blown away last night that on 4th and 1 he tried to sneak Flacco. Seriously, you got 260lbs of McClain or Neal at 255lbs and you sneak Flacco? Which was no sneak by the way. It was pretty obvious that Flacco wasn't comfortable with the call, he lined up for it and then called a time out to talk it over. Why not send McClain up the gut or off the tackle? Pretty sure that we would win the battle in the trench. Gaithers was holding up fine against Harrison. We have some gorillas on the front line and they can, will, and have moved the defensive lines of some of the best in the league this year.

Seems to me that almost every set of downs starts with a short run off tackle, followed by a quick sweep, and then a desperation toss to Mason or Clayton. I mean I see that patient methodical approach he is trying to establish. How many times have we stayed with this method when we were behind and needing a fast moving offense to get on the board? I can not believe how many times he ran McGahee off tackles on 3rd and 8. Why not get Heap in the rotation on 3rd and longs? Heap over the middle was one of Bohlers favorite targets and this year was barely noticeable.

What other team puts there starting QB out as a WR? Why not just put the whole season in jeopardy to gain ten yards? You have to protect the QB at all times. Having him out in the open field is risky at best. Flacco was out in the flats way to often and luckily didn't sustain injury. Yes it did work occasionally but we have Mason and Clayton making big bucks to play WR. What is next is Cam going to try the wild cat up here Raven country?

I do realize that Flacco being a rookie meant doing things a little different. When you have opposing coaches saying he is not a rookie anymore, it is time to show some faith in the man and let him throw the ball. Maybe it will be different next year, but I think Cam only got us this far because the defense covered his mistakes up time and time again. Seriously, Cameron led a 1-15 team last year! Why in the heck would we want that calling our offense for us? I'm glad that Billick is gone and we actually went with an offensive coordinator this year. I just think that Cam is the wrong man for the job in Baltimore.

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"We got the better Harbaugh!" Sherry Huggler

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

#2 raylewismvp

raylewismvp

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

yes. no doubt about it. atleast we scored this year haha
" pain is only temporary no matter how long it last, but victory last forever "

#3 Troy SmiTH Xx

Troy SmiTH Xx

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

No one can sit here, reasonably, for a second, and think that ANY of our coaching staff is right for our team. What they were able to do this year is just plain INCREDIBLE. And they should get as much credit as our players get. I wouldn't get rid of any of them.

United States Navy

Naval Oceanography and Anti-Submarine Warfare DET Kadena

Okinawa, Japan

Deployments:
Guam, Australia, Bahrain, Qatar, Misawa

"The reason that the American Navy does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Americans practice chaos on a daily basis."
---Adm. Karl Doenitz, of the German Kriegsmarine

#4 Bullrush

Bullrush

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:26 AM

We have terrible depth on our team. There wasn't much Cam could do with only 2 receivers. Rex had the same issues on defense, we don't even have a solid starting corner right now. Next season with Demetrius and another WR trough the draft, Joe's progression and all that i think we will be much more explosive on offense and you will see more 3 or 4 WR sets, better playcalling etc.

I would like to blame Cam for the conservative playcalling but i think he tried everything he could with the guys available to him. He tried a few trick plays, screen passes to Rice, RB draw's up the middle, sweep plays by McGahee, McClain up the middle, trick plays that included Flacco (run to the outside). It just didn't work. We don't have any weapons. Defenses can just sit back and cover Mason, his go to guy. Heap is still too inconsistent and Clayton is a slot receiver.
Shield on my arm
Sword in my right
Cape on my back
This is where we fight
Baltimore! We built for this!
- Terrell Suggs

#5 RoflDogs

RoflDogs

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Remember the 2006 chargers? Cam cameron was the OC of that squad...

and as I was looking at Gaither, He was getting man-handled a bit, by Harrison.

They were not trying to use McClain because he was injured...

The first game against the steelers, on 3rd and long, Flacco got sacked and fumbled for a TD

Conservative is not bad all the time

Posted Image

#6 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

No one can sit here, reasonably, for a second, and think that ANY of our coaching staff is right for our team. What they were able to do this year is just plain INCREDIBLE. And they should get as much credit as our players get. I wouldn't get rid of any of them.

Not trying to disrespect anything that was accomplished. I believe that we have the weapons to devastate any team in the league. I think that Cam was far too patient and to stead fast to his game plan when it was obviously not working. How many 3 and outs can a offense go before you take a serious look at the man calling the shots.

Side bar- Good luck with SEAL training. You'll be one bad SOB when you walk out that door! I worked with SEALS while I was in the Navy and they are a cut above the rest!!

"“All of a sudden, and I had not officially met Ray yet, I feel this presence over my shoulder and this voice: ‘Ray Rice, this is Ray Lewis. I love the way you play. But, you should pull your pants up.’”

Asked what it’s like to see a deep ball from Flacco, Jones likened it to Starburst candy.
“It’s juicy, it’s good,” Jones said. “It’s like candy. Everybody loves candy. Who don’t like candy?”

"Finally"

"My descriptions of my actions on that play are a lot of things - embarrassing, inexcusable, a blunder would be a myriad of things I use to describe it." Mike Tomlin (a cheating Stealer)

#7 heapitup247

heapitup247

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

I want you to take a look at what cam cameron had to work with. A rookie QB. His leading rusher hurt all season. The youngest offensive line in the league going into the season. 2 WR with more than 1 catch. I dont know how our offense even got a first down, let alone moved the ball more consistently than ive seen in a while.

#8 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

I myself have had several topics where I critized the offensive play calling. That said, our offense still outperformed even my wildest expectations. I mean a rookie quarterback, youg offensive line, and not a legit number 1 receiver...c'mon. Mistakes were made but I for one am really excited about what our offense can do next year.

#9 Bmore

Bmore

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:32 AM

I do think Cam is good but there's no denying he was very conservative in big games this year.

Also, I have no idea why we didn't use Rice more. No clue.

#10 ravensfan160

ravensfan160

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:45 AM

I do think Cam is good but there's no denying he was very conservative in big games this year.

Totally agree. I for one wasn't surprised at all that Ray's first catch was for 20 yards. Why we didn't throw it to him more out of the backfield when it was obvious the Steelers game plan was to take away the intermediate pass with zone coverage is beyond me.

#11 Loyola Punker

Loyola Punker

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

all those big games that he was conservative were against good defenses. Last night he was up against the #1 D in the league... playing anything but conservative for 90% of the game will cause mistakes. those trick plays and formations only work against bad D's ... just like we bragged that the 'wildcat' offense wouldn't work against us, doing other things against the pitt D was not going to work either.

Now, I think he should have been more conservative and gone back to running / screen passes, but I certainly don't think he was too conservative last night ... we took several shots downfield and joe simply over-threw several of them and we got some good interference calls to set up our two touchdowns...

that's the formula for success, and had our D been it's usual form (suggs healthy and rolle out there) and been able to stop 50-75 yards of the steelers pass game, then I think the outcome could have been different, and we would all be praising cameron's play calling ... i think he did a wonderful job this year, and am very hopeful for next year w/ the development of the o-line, picking up some more talent at WR, and building on RB success (hope willis is OK).

we just have to address the FA thing along with depth @ CB (again) and this is another deep run into the playoffs
"A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football..." -#52

#12 YABOY

YABOY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:54 AM

cam did a great this year this offens was a work in progress anyway
BOLDIN VACATIONS ON REVIS ISLAND

#13 catty112

catty112

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

I think its pretty easy after a loss like this to find someone to blame. Was it Cam? Maybe, but he's not the sole reason. Yeah his playcalling was a bit conservative but we are realllly limited on offense. We have two WR's, both had pretty poor showings, neither one of them would be considered a definite #1. A once epic tight end who obviously isn't the same as he once was for whatever reason. A banged up running back who all season fought countless injuries and negative comments from fans and critics. One of the YOUNGEST offensive lines in all of football. Oh yeah and a ROOKIE QUARTERBACK.

Now if you know someone who could've been put in our situation and done better and be able to prove it then I will retract my opinion. But as it rests Cam Cam is one of thee better things to happen to us this season. In times like these its real easy to dwell on such a painful loss and an end to an awesome season. But we need to look at the bright side. We finally have franchise QB with TONS of potential, a young dynamic offensive line that far exceeded everyones expectations, and we still have in place a feature RB who looks like he still has some kick left in him (just needs a good offseason to get him back to where he needs to be) Not to mention Clayton seemed to come around at times this season, Mason will be a solid receiver for another year or two, we got at least one young WR whos got potential to be a target next year, hopefully Heap with an offseason to recover can come back big.

So give Cam Cam some time to put in place his offense, it takes more than one offseason, before you drop the ball on him

#14 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

Cam turned the Ravens offense around and for once we started throwing deep. Ravens have more plays over 20 yards then they ever had since they have been a franchise.
Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

#15 RavensIQ

RavensIQ

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

LEt us not forget that Our starting Quarterback was a 1st year rookie in a new 1st year offense led by a 1st year rookie head coach....AND WE MADE IT TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP!!

How can anyone question this coaching staff? We we're 5-11 last year. Look how far we came since then. How can anyone question whether or not Cam Cameron is right for this team?

Was it Cams fault we lost the AFC Cahmpionship? If that's the question you keep asking yourselves then let me answer it with another question. Is it Cam Cameron's fault that Joe Flacco had a 43% pass completion percentage, threw 3 interceptions, 1 that was returned for a touchdown, only 141 yards all game, and 0 touchdowns?

Our Defense gave up 16 points. The Steelers Defense gave up 14 points. We all knew coming into this game in order for us to win it would have to come down to the quarterback play. Big Ben had 240+ yards through the air, 1 touchdown and 0 interceptions. That's why pittsburgh is representing the AFC in the superbowl this year. Flacco had a chance to become a legend in the final minutes of the 4th quarter last night but his experience or lack there of finally caught up with him. Big Ben made the plays needed to become a champion, Joe Flacco Didn't. Don't put it on Cam Cameron.

We got out coached, out played, and outscored. Doesn't mean there's something wrong with our team it just means Pittsburgh did everything right. They are a great team and we came 5 minutes within beating them. If it wasn't for Cam Cameron we wouldn't even be talking about last nights game.

I guess now that the ride has stopped you want to get off the wagon?

Edited by RavensIQ, 19 January 2009 - 12:12 PM.

#16 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Please don't read this as trying to blame last nights loss on an individual. That is not the point of my post at all and I apologize if it came off that way. My observations of the offense this year are that we could have accomplished more if we were more aggressive. Seemed that plays that worked well were shied away from.

I'll be the first to admit the man had a little to work with and got a lot done. I am not passing judgment solely on last night. Look back to the Giants game, we were down twenty points in the third quarter and he is still running traps and draws. These plays are designed to gain 2-3 yards and hope that a bigger gain is earned. Why not take shots down the field? We played ourselves right out of that game. The defense couldn't get it done and offense needed to step up. When the Colts went for 33 points on us it was the same roll over and cry mercy mentality.

I believe we can hang with the best in the league and proved it this year. Hopefully I can dig this post up in a years time and eat crow! If Cam is to stay and keep running this offense he needs to be prepared to step away from Thursday game plan on Sunday afternoon when it just isn't working.

As far as who would be a better fit, hard to say. I guess I need to start reviewing some resumes :o

"Finally"

#17 12th man

12th man

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Play calling on sunday was just wrong.Whatever happened to run it till you can't run anymoreit never happened.Cam wanted to throw it at least in all the first half it was bad play calling on his part.I was hoping after the half we would run more put rice in, throw some short passes but no so yes it's cam fault

#18 Neal Could Block the SUN!!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:23 PM

I guess now that the ride has stopped you want to get off the wagon?

Bandwagon- not me

I've been with this team since '98 and will be staying thru the ups and downs

My flag still waves proudly

Posted Image

"Finally"

#19 PIG 20

PIG 20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

Yes, he is right for this team. There is no better coach for grooming a rookie QB than Cam Cameron. Look at Philip Rivers and then tell me that Cam Cameron isn't the guy we need for Joe.

#20 YABOY

YABOY

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yes, he is right for this team. There is no better coach for grooming a rookie QB than Cam Cameron. Look at Philip Rivers and then tell me that Cam Cameron isn't the guy we need for Joe.

he helped drew brees to
BOLDIN VACATIONS ON REVIS ISLAND