BR News

[News] Baltimore Ravens Announce 2017 Schedule

52 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, axisofeeble said:

Maybe 6-10 if WE get very lucky early in the season. Pray Bears&Browns don't torch our secondary "if" we have Suggs lead us in sacks this year.

I don't believe that either will "Torch our secondary" this season.

1 hour ago, axisofeeble said:

"IF" Browns would take Flacco &our 16th for their 1st&33rd we could FIX defense and sign Kapernick or even Cutler as stopgap REBUILD decent team. Flacco & our 16th,74th for 1st&12th would be DREAM scenario.

If Kapernik even visits M&T, I am becoming an Eagles fan. Have you ever seen a game outside of Pit.?

1 hour ago, axisofeeble said:

"IF" Browns would take Flacco &our 16th for their 1st&33rd we could FIX defense and sign Kapernick or even Cutler as stopgap REBUILD decent team. Flacco & our 16th,74th for 1st&12th would be DREAM scenario.

Yeah, 'cause Harbaugh and Kaepernick would get along so well together!

I think 6-3 headed into the break is realistic.... 5-4 is very possible but 4-5 would be unacceptable. IF we go 6-3 before the break... 11-5 is a very realistic expectation. 12-4 would be lofty but possible. 10-6 would be the minimum expectation.

We should not sleep the Jags (great young defense and a lot of offensive weapons). The Texans will be much improved also. They will have one of the best defenses in the NFL this year and they do have weapons at WR! They will not be an easy out. The Titans are another team that could scare us.... they have a very good OL with a very solid defense and a great RB. The titans will not be an easy out this year. The Dolphins are supposed to be much improved this year also...

The Lions - Bears and Colts should be wins.
The Browns are never an easy out for us but need to also be counted as wins.
That would give us 5 wins just right there

The formula remains the same as always however. Win the divisional games and home games. If we have the best record in the division vs divisional opponents... and win the home games we are sitting pretty.

In fact if we won all of our divisional games and home games we would be 11-5.

If we split with the sqeelers and won the rest of our divisional games but won on the road vs Minn and Jax we would only need to win 3 of the next 5 home games vs (Chi,Miami,Tex, Lions and Colts) to go 10-6

In other words with
Browns 2x, Cincy (split) Pitt (Split), wins over Minn, Jax, Chi, Miami, Det, Hou, and Indy) that would leave us at 11 wins

Additional Win vs the Titans, and could leave us with 12 wins..

Leaving us with 2 throw away games on the road vs the Raiders and Pack... even a split there would leave us with the top seed. and 13 wins.

We always find ways to make it interesting and drop games we shouldnt drop (Tenn, Hou, or a Browns, Bengals game)

SO I am calling our season record. 11-5 or 10-6. 10 -6 would be a little bit disappointing.

I would have preferred the bye in week 4 or a non-divisional game rather than playing the Steelers at home. That means it will be a short week for the Ravens, tons of travel, AND a home game against the Steelers which could decide who gets the division crown because we can't afford to lose either game to a division rival, home or away. Since it is obvious the away game would be tougher to win than the home game, even the away game would have been preferable to being beat down before one of the most important games of the season at home. I guess that was the NFL's way of saying if you want input into the schedule then we are going to get you one way or the other. If not starting the season with 5 away games, or getting a ridiculous bye, the NFL has had it out for the Ravens with the schedule since game 1 in Baltimore. Year after year, season after season, the NFL sticks it to the Ravens. I'm sure there is a story just writing about how many times the NFL shafted us with the schedule.

2 hours ago, Bruce_Almty said:

We play 8 games vs teams Vegas ranks a higher probability of reaching the super bowl than the Ravens. Home vs away record (Flacco struggles) is likely 5-3 & 3-5. Splits with the Steelers and Bengals; Raven team composition at this time tells me the Ravens are an 8-8 team (plus or minus 1). At the moment, the Ravens as a team give no indication of being a 10, 11 or 12 win team. The draft could change that.

DO you really want to face the Browns 2x with Flacco at QB and Gordon, Coleman and more at WR? They would no longer be just counted as a win for us. Especially if we had Kappernick at QB.

I get Cutler but he is so undependable that his contribution in 8 games or less would virtually make Mallet our starter.... do you really think we would be better off there?

I get it... I dont like Joes ridiculous contract but a trade like that would set us back 5 years.

Teams without franchise QBs just DO NOT win in this league. That is why the Browns are the Browns.

Now it would be different if we could trade Joe for a Phillip Rivers or Joe for Matt Stafford..... etc. Not saying that they are better then Joe but they are franchise Qbs who we could continue to build around...

Problem is why would those teams trade those guys to us for Joe... take on Joes contract and still give something else up?????

3 hours ago, Bruce_Almty said:

We play 8 games vs teams Vegas ranks a higher probability of reaching the super bowl than the Ravens. Home vs away record (Flacco struggles) is likely 5-3 & 3-5. Splits with the Steelers and Bengals; Raven team composition at this time tells me the Ravens are an 8-8 team (plus or minus 1). At the moment, the Ravens as a team give no indication of being a 10, 11 or 12 win team. The draft could change that.

Good-Ness... why do folks believe we'd trade Flacco away? This isn't the first time I have seen this... IT'S RIDICULOUS. Please Stop the nonsense.

One good thing The Ravens Bye they have time to get ready to go on the road against a team nobody give Ravens a chance to win. (except John H.)

2 hours ago, axisofeeble said:
  4 hours ago, Bruce_Almty said:

DO you really want to face the Browns 2x with Flacco at QB and Gordon, Coleman and more at WR? They would no longer be just counted as a win for us. Especially if we had Kappernick at QB.

I get Cutler but he is so undependable that his contribution in 8 games or less would virtually make Mallet our starter.... do you really think we would be better off there?

I get it... I dont like Joes ridiculous contract but a trade like that would set us back 5 years.

Teams without franchise QBs just DO NOT win in this league. That is why the Browns are the Browns.

Now it would be different if we could trade Joe for a Phillip Rivers or Joe for Matt Stafford..... etc. Not saying that they are better then Joe but they are franchise Qbs who we could continue to build around...

Problem is why would those teams trade those guys to us for Joe... take on Joes contract and still give something else up?????

None of those guys have a Super Bowl Win... As a matter of fact, none of them have won in the playoffs either. Yes, some of the ridiculousness continues.

I would have preferred the bye in week 4 or a non-divisional game rather than playing the Steelers at home. That means it will be a short week for the Ravens, tons of travel, AND a home game against the Steelers which could decide who gets the division crown because we can't afford to lose either game to a division rival, home or away. Since it is obvious the away game would be tougher to win than the home game, even the away game would have been preferable to being beat down before one of the most important games of the season at home. I guess that was the NFL's way of saying if you want input into the schedule then we are going to get you one way or the other. If not starting the season with 5 away games, or getting a ridiculous bye, the NFL has had it out for the Ravens with the schedule since game 1 in Baltimore. Year after year, season after season, the NFL sticks it to the Ravens. I'm sure there is a story just writing about how many times the NFL shafted us with the schedule.

And the same story is written about every franchise every year.

If the biggest knock on our schedule this year is that we have to play the Steelers AT HOME after a London game, you're pretty much acknowledging that our schedule is favorable.

And obviously we CAN afford to lose a game to a division rival. We do it every year, including years where we won the SB and were SB contenders. The idea of any team in our division going 6-0 frankly seems kind of silly at this point, and I would expect fans to know better by now. 5-1 is even a stretch in the last decade or so.

4 hours ago, Bruce_Almty said:

Actually we couldn't afford to sign either of them or anybody. You'd have to cut most of our good players to be able to even afford to trade Joe.

I strongly recommend you do some research on the salary cap and the impact of trades like the one you're proposing, because you sound very ignorant right now.

Just so we can put this whole "trade for Joe Flacco thing to bed", here's the salary cap perspective on IF a trade like this were to happen:

The moment you trade Joe, his 2017 cap number INCREASES from $24.55M to $47.3M, so that's an increase of 22.75M.

According to Spotrac, we have roughly $4.5M in cap space available right now.

So that means that we would need to create $18.25M in cap space if we trade Joe. Note that all this does is get us to no cap space, thus not allowing us to sign our draft picks until we create more.

So in order to do that, lets look at some possible cuts:
Wallace: $4.75M - a must cut in order to make this move happen.
Watson: $3M
Arrington: $2.1M

Cutting those three guys would be a must. That gets us halfway there. While most would say its not a big deal to could Watson or Arrington (which we will likely do anyway), the key here is to note that we have zero choice but to cut Wallace the moment we trade Joe.

Still need to create about another $8.5M in space. Lets look at mixture of cuts there:
Yanda: $1.55M
Suggs: $1.05M
Hurst: $1.8M
Jensen: $1.8M
West: $1.8M
Mallett: $1M

If we cut those six guys, we'll clear $9M in space, so that gets us there.

So I guess if you REALLY want to trade Joe, it could happen. All you'd have to do is cut Wallace, Suggs, Yanda, Mallett (so now we have no QBs on the roster), West and Jensen (and a handful of other players we probably don't care about).

And remember... this only gets us to break even. We can't use our draft picks yet, because we don't have the cap space to sign them. And we need to sign a QB as well.

Outstanding team management there isn't it?

Just so we can put this whole "trade for Joe Flacco thing to bed", here's the salary cap perspective on IF a trade like this were to happen:

The moment you trade Joe, his 2017 cap number INCREASES from $24.55M to $47.3M, so that's an increase of 22.75M.

According to Spotrac, we have roughly $4.5M in cap space available right now.

So that means that we would need to create $18.25M in cap space if we trade Joe. Note that all this does is get us to no cap space, thus not allowing us to sign our draft picks until we create more.

So in order to do that, lets look at some possible cuts:
Wallace: $4.75M - a must cut in order to make this move happen.
Watson: $3M
Arrington: $2.1M

Cutting those three guys would be a must. That gets us halfway there. While most would say its not a big deal to could Watson or Arrington (which we will likely do anyway), the key here is to note that we have zero choice but to cut Wallace the moment we trade Joe.

Still need to create about another $8.5M in space. Lets look at mixture of cuts there:
Yanda: $1.55M
Suggs: $1.05M
Hurst: $1.8M
Jensen: $1.8M
West: $1.8M
Mallett: $1M

If we cut those six guys, we'll clear $9M in space, so that gets us there.

So I guess if you REALLY want to trade Joe, it could happen. All you'd have to do is cut Wallace, Suggs, Yanda, Mallett (so now we have no QBs on the roster), West and Jensen (and a handful of other players we probably don't care about).

And remember... this only gets us to break even. We can't use our draft picks yet, because we don't have the cap space to sign them. And we need to sign a QB as well.

Outstanding team management there isn't it?

Very well presented, factual post.....which has NO business being in here. LOL.

Just now, poescrows said:

Very well presented, factual post.....which has NO business being in here. LOL.

And the trolls who think trading Flacco solves literally any problem have no business being fans of this team.

Maybe 6-10 if WE get very lucky early in the season. Pray Bears&Browns don't torch our secondary "if" we have Suggs lead us in sacks this year.

So you're implying that the Ravens 2017 secondary, which several NFL pundits have already called one of the best in the league, will get "torched"?

4 hours ago, fusuymada said:

And the same story is written about every franchise every year.

If the biggest knock on our schedule this year is that we have to play the Steelers AT HOME after a London game, you're pretty much acknowledging that our schedule is favorable.

And obviously we CAN afford to lose a game to a division rival. We do it every year, including years where we won the SB and were SB contenders. The idea of any team in our division going 6-0 frankly seems kind of silly at this point, and I would expect fans to know better by now. 5-1 is even a stretch in the last decade or so.

When was the last time another franchise started the season with 5 away games. The only other team was the Ravens...

Yes I think when you finish out of the running your season is going to be easier because you will face teams consistent with your last season. We also have our bye week right after a Sunday game following a Thursday so we will have two weeks off after just having 12 days off.

Yes every team can complain about their schedule, but I pointed out items that other teams didn't have to contend with and your snarky comment doesn't address the points I put forward, it was simply meant to be condescending but noting your other comments, you seem to believe you are smarter than everyone else and the expert here based on your personal assessment of yourself.

Those first 4 games are scary with just 2 Running backs, both who have had their ups and downs in the NFL.
The Ravens would be smart to consider RB as a priority at sometime before the pre-season starts so that they can get some looks at the backfield.
Can Dixon play in pre-season?

2 hours ago, fusuymada said:

When was the last time another franchise started the season with 5 away games. The only other team was the Ravens...

Yes I think when you finish out of the running your season is going to be easier because you will face teams consistent with your last season. We also have our bye week right after a Sunday game following a Thursday so we will have two weeks off after just having 12 days off.

Yes every team can complain about their schedule, but I pointed out items that other teams didn't have to contend with and your snarky comment doesn't address the points I put forward, it was simply meant to be condescending but noting your other comments, you seem to believe you are smarter than everyone else and the expert here based on your personal assessment of yourself.

1. Which year specifically did the Ravens play five away games consecutively to open the season? Or better yet... what year did the Ravens ever play more than 3 consecutive road games at ANY POINT during the regular season?

You literally just made this up.

I assume that you're still somehow whining about 2015, when we play 5 of our first 7 on the road (which were not consecutively, of course), and included consecutive road stretches on the WC (which our coach asked for).

I'll point out the same thing I pointed out to all the other clowns who think this was somehow a catastrophic problem... everybody ignores the fact that we didn't leave the city of Baltimore from Halloween to Thanksgiving (3 straight home games with a bye in the middle), or the fact that we got three straight home games in December, which rarely happens.

How quickly fans dismiss the fact that no matter how you slice it, its 8 home, 8 on the road.

2. There's only two teams on our schedule in every single year that are "consistent with our schedule". That's 2 out of 16. The other 8 (excluding the six division games which are the same every year) are on a rotation and its the same rotation as our fellow division rivals. Those games have nothing to do with how good we were the previous year.

If I were super serious about playing the "whine about the schedule" game with you, I'd gladly go look at all the other teams schedules and point out all the things those teams have to deal with that the Ravens don't. And I guarantee I could find something for every single one of them.