BR News

[News] Eisenberg: 5 Thoughts On Ravens 2017 Schedule

29 posts in this topic

Good God ending with the Bengals again! Its just insane how they are stuck on us and the Bengals ending every damn regular season. Of course, the Steelers end with the Browns as always! Other then that, its a schedule I can live with.

Its not an easy schedule but..No NE, no Redskins no Dallas and No NY teams. 5 out of 6 losses last year.
So we need to turn the Raiders game into a win, do some damage to the AFC South and NFC North while they are re-building and kick some division butt!

Its doable, need to establish a running game- show an improved secondary- control the clock- and score TD's instead of FG. 4 big weaknesses last year.

Thankfully the Ravens are the visitors in London so they still get all 8 of their home games.....and the London game is really a neutral site game, so only 7 away games.

1. If Ravens can't win ten of these games, its time for changes
2. Most of the tough games are against their division. Prove yourselves
3. Not facing a lot of great QBs. Ben, Rogers, Stafford?, Carr after injury
4. Draft must create separation from AFC South. None of those teams should beat the Ravens if Ravens address NEEDS.
5. Must win 4 games in the division. Steeler and Bengals will run through AFC south and NFC north, so Ravens must personally put Ls on their record to make playoffs

19 minutes ago, law215 said:

4. Draft must create separation from AFC South. None of those teams should beat the Ravens if Ravens address NEEDS.
5. Must win 4 games in the division. Steeler and Bengals will run through AFC south and NFC north, so Ravens must personally put Ls on their record to make playoffs

I'm curious what makes you think the Bengals will be better next year after losing their starting LT and RG? This is on top of all of the players they lost in 2016 that led to a 6-1-9 record. 

34 minutes ago, law215 said:

I'm curious what makes you think the Bengals will be better next year after losing their starting LT and RG? This is on top of all of the players they lost in 2016 that led to a 6-1-9 record. 

They have difference makers. Eifort, AJ Green, Bernard, Atkins on that Dline. A stud can erase faults on your team. The Bengals have playmakers

1 hour ago, law215 said:

They have difference makers. Eifort, AJ Green, Bernard, Atkins on that Dline. A stud can erase faults on your team. The Bengals have playmakers

So why didn't they last year?  Their team is right now all of those "playmakers" but with even LESS talent around them then when they stunk it up this year.

1 hour ago, ByTheBay said:
  1 hour ago, law215 said:

Bernard a difference maker? You do realize Andrew Luck had more rushing yards and Perriman scored as many TDs right? And Eifert has never played a full season. Bernard is coming off a Torn ACL. Eifert had major back surgery. They lost their 2 best O-linemen (Think what the Ravens would be without Stanley & Yanda) and are starting 2 high draft pick busts at LT & RT. Not too mention an old broke down Smith at RG. And the entire ship is being led by an $17 million choke artist QB and a lame duck Coach who's not coming back next year.

The Bungles will lose more games this year than the Brownies.....

Not a bad schedule at all. Having our last 2 games at home will be a big help.
The Bye is in a good place and I think who we play, opens up the opportunity to be 6-3 by then (when looking at the schedule with my purple glasses on).

The Bye is in a good place and I think who we play, opens up the opportunity to be 6-3 by then (when looking at the schedule with my purple glasses on).

6-3? I think 8-1 is more likely.
I know all the haters will disagree, but if we do really well next week, and get even average coaching, I see 7-2 at worst heading into the bye

1 hour ago, KidNme said:

I know all the haters will disagree, but if we do really well next week, and get even average coaching, I see 7-2 at worst heading into the bye

Why is anyone who is realistic, and disagrees with a ridiculous 8-1 prediction, a hater? Oh, that's right. Cause they disagree with you.

I agree. It's not an especially "favourable" schedule - it's simply a fair one - and I think this is how it should be. It has its flaws and bright spots - but you don't make an NFL schedule which won't have any... it's just impossible. So, having a fair schedule is the perfect scenario.

2 hours ago, KidNme said:

Making predictions about NFL games 5-7 months in advance is like trying to predict the exact weather for those game days: guesswork and little more. A huge lot of things can happen in the summer. We can have a brutal "injury epidemic" like 2 seasons ago. Or our opponents can have one... It could turn out that Mohrningweg's own offense system is even worse than Trestman's was... Things like that... Could it be 8-1 or 7-2? Sure. Could it be 2-7? Yes. Likely? Not, but possible. Was there anyone predicting before the start of the 2015 season that after week 7 the Ravens are gonna be an 1-6 team, losing to the Raiders, the Browns in Baltimore and the lowly 49ers?
Nobody. And then it happened.

It's way, way, way too soon to make meaningful predictions about the season.

Most pundits predict a lousy seasoin for the Bengals. They let their two best O-liners walk, with no clear successor, for example...

Thankfully the Ravens are the visitors in London so they still get all 8 of their home games.....and the London game is really a neutral site game, so only 7 away games.

I think I remember something about the Ravens surely not having a home game in London as the stadium contract says all their home games must be in the Bank?

Somebody with a better memory than me (not an especially high bar)?

I can see us winning 9 games and taking the back door to the playoffs this year if we play well and stay healthy.

9 games looks very safe, 10 probable, 11 possible, 12 means the Ravens have done all the right things. So I wonder of that chance.

Interesting enough most teams that have made major changes to improve secondary, improved running game, while keeping a pro-bowl QB and avoided major in-house staff changes...have done quite well on the re-bound ie- 1980 Steelers, 1988 Redskins, 1990 49rs, 1996 Packers, 2006 Colts 2015 Broncos, , all won Super bowls with aging QB and improved comeback secondary's- Others that did well in playoffs 1992 Dolphins, 2013 Saints.
Most of these teams focused on two things secondary and running game. Sound like something familiar?

5 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

I think I remember something about the Ravens surely not having a home game in London as the stadium contract says all their home games must be in the Bank?

True

21 hours ago, Flamengo1265 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was specific to the Bank. I believe the Stadium Authority dictated that the game must be played within the State of Maryland, but not necessarily at the Bank. Could be wrong about that though.

Regardless, I've heard similar premises from others in the media with better knowledge. Basically we don't have to expect to have an international home game anytime soon. If we go abroad, it will be on the road, which is obviously much more beneficial.

Right time pretty much all the international games are reserved for the home teams that are transitioning into new stadiums (Rams, Raiders, Chargers) or for teams that have trouble selling tickets consistently (Bills, Jags, Bengals, etc.).

5 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

9 games looks very safe, 10 probable, 11 possible, 12 means the Ravens have done all the right things. So I wonder of that chance.

Interesting enough most teams that have made major changes to improve secondary, improved running game, while keeping a pro-bowl QB and avoided major in-house staff changes...have done quite well on the re-bound ie- 1980 Steelers, 1988 Redskins, 1990 49rs, 1996 Packers, 2006 Colts 2015 Broncos, , all won Super bowls with aging QB and improved comeback secondary's- Others that did well in playoffs 1992 Dolphins, 2013 Saints.
Most of these teams focused on two things secondary and running game. Sound like something familiar?

I love your optimism and would like to share it but reality keeps beating me up!

It's too bad the Ravens don't play the following:
-- either MN or GB at home;
-- the PIT @ BAL as the 2nd of their two meetings.
TN will be tough; I put that in the L column.
10 wins is very doable, injuries notwithstanding.

1 hour ago, ellicottraven said:

I love your optimism and would like to share it but reality keeps beating me up!

im seeing it more as pessimism in that reality says there are not 8 games you should be picking against the Ravens.  Obviously they will lose some games they should win and win some games they should lose but on paper he pretty much has it right. I would say Ravens are favored in about 10 of those games easily and I am probably giving the rest of the AFCN more credit than it deserves this year.

I agree. It's not an especially "favourable" schedule - it's simply a fair one - and I think this is how it should be. It has its flaws and bright spots - but you don't make an NFL schedule which won't have any... it's just impossible. So, having a fair schedule is the perfect scenario.

That being said, check out Pittsburgh's cushy early schedule.
If they don't win 11 games this year I will be surprised.
Just about any team they play that looks like a tough game, they get to play at home. They get us after we've traveled to London and back.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:43 PM, bigcatfrank1 said:

Reality? It's not like he predicted 14-2?? at all? Where has the confidence gone in our fans? I know the past few years haven't been what we're used to but every year is a new season, and frankly I agree with him 100%, if not I have even more optimism.
We are very close. With an excellent draft we will be a top 3 team this year in the AFC. We must have an excellent draft to jump back on top of the the Pats and Steelers though, which is very possible. Especially considering this draft, the Pats don't have a first rounder, and we have much better picks than them. I know we won't be able to tell right away, but Thursday and Friday are going to determine whether we're back to being a top 3 team in the conference every year for at least the next 5 years, or if our fans are going to be calling for Ozzie and John's head next offseason. This draft is going to make at least 3 or 4 franchises