January J

JJ mock draft 3.0

47 posts in this topic

1) Corey Davis ( WR)- flacco and Co. Are playing it off like they don't need another receiver. Seems like your classic smokescreen to me. Williams will be gone and Ross won't even be a consideration. The closer the draft approaches the more and more I get the hunch Davis will be our guy. He's just gonna be right in that range where it will only make sense.. And he also just looks like a player Ozzie would covet- physically and personality wise.

2) Quincy Wilson (CB)this draft has so much depth at corner your guess is as good as mine. However I think this first round talent slips to the 2nd and we take him.

3) Tyrus Bowser (OLB)his stock has been improving as of late ..and he also just visited with us. We won't wait any longer than this pick to take a pass rusher- and he will be the best available at the time.

3) Ethan Pocic (OL)Some people think that we have our starting center already on the team. Some have suggested Urschel will get the starting job- others have even speculated that Alex Lewis could move there. Yeah I'm not buying it. We draft our future starting center whether he starts this year or not. He can literally play anywhere on the line- and we love players with the flexibility to move around when others may get injured. If he makes it this far I think its a no brainer.

4) Cameron Sutton ( CB)-  double dipping at corner for obvious reasons. Will better the chances of us landing that future shutdown corner. Questionable how he'll transition to the NFL  but worth the risk and is pretty good value here in the fourth.

5) Vincent Taylor (NT)-  hard to say if he'll make it here but if he does I think we grab him. Interior pass rush is needed for obvious reasons.

6) Samaje Perine (RB)- honestly I don't think he'll make it here. I didnt want to include trades in this mock but I'm sure we'll tradeback at some point to acquire an extra 4th or 5th- which is where we might take him. Big physical bruiser- which is kind of what we're looking for. Had to split carries with Mixon  and still put up respectable numbers. Had a huge freshman year. Had one game where he went for over 420 yards and 5 TDs.  Doesn't catch many passes- but with Woodhead on the team that's not really what we need him to do. Has gotten somewhat overshadowed by all the Mixon  hype- but he could end up being a great back himself. Everybody knows I like Donnell Pumphrey- but once again I just wanted to shake things up. De'veon Smith from Michigan is also a strong option here.

Like I said- didn't wanna include trades in this mock- but no way do I think we'll be content with 7 picks with all the spots we need to fill. A tradeback or maybe even a few is to be expected- in which case we will probably double dip at pass rusher and maybe add another Tackle.

Would love this draft and it's pretty realistic. Hits all the needs, good value, good players, hopefully something along these lines happens. What do you think of basham over bowser?

I typically try not to comment on values, but I think this is on the ambitious side as far as getting a lot of those guys where they're slotted.  Wilson, Bowser, Perine, and maybe even Sutton I question.

31 minutes ago, January J said:

1) Corey Davis ( WR)- flacco and Co. Are playing it off like they don't need another receiver. Seems like your classic smokescreen to me. Williams will be gone and Ross won't even be a consideration. The closer the draft approaches the more and more I get the hunch Davis will be our guy. He's just gonna be right in that range where it will only make sense.. And he also just looks like a player Ozzie would covet- physically and personality wise.

2) Quincy Wilson (CB)this draft has so much depth at corner your guess is as good as mine. However I think this first round talent slips to the 2nd and we take him.

3) Tyrus Bowser (OLB)his stock has been improving as of late ..and he also just visited with us. We won't wait any longer than this pick to take a pass rusher- and he will be the best available at the time.

3) Ethan Pocic (OL)Some people think that we have our starting center already on the team. Some have suggested Urschel will get the starting job- others have even speculated that Alex Lewis could move there. Yeah I'm not buying it. We draft our future starting center whether he starts this year or not. He can literally play anywhere on the line- and we love players with the flexibility to move around when others may get injured. If he makes it this far I think its a no brainer.

4) Cameron Sutton ( CB)-  double dipping at corner for obvious reasons. Will better the chances of us landing that future shutdown corner. Questionable how he'll transition to the NFL  but worth the risk and is pretty good value here in the fourth.

5) Vincent Taylor (NT)-  hard to say if he'll make it here but if he does I think we grab him. Interior pass rush is needed for obvious reasons.

6) Samaje Perine (RB)- honestly I don't think he'll make it here. I didnt want to include trades in this mock but I'm sure we'll tradeback at some point to acquire an extra 4th or 5th- which is where we might take him. Big physical bruiser- which is kind of what we're looking for. Had to split carries with Mixon  and still put up respectable numbers. Had a huge freshman year. Had one game where he went for over 420 yards and 5 TDs.  Doesn't catch many passes- but with Woodhead on the team that's not really what we need him to do. Has gotten somewhat overshadowed by all the Mixon  hype- but he could end up being a great back himself. Everybody knows I like Donnell Pumphrey- but once again I just wanted to shake things up. De'veon Smith from Michigan is also a strong option here.

Like I said- didn't wanna include trades in this mock- but no way do I think we'll be content with 7 picks with all the spots we need to fill. A tradeback or maybe even a few is to be expected- in which case we will probably double dip at pass rusher and maybe add another Tackle.

Q in the second doesn't sound plausible. No RT? No ILB? No DE to fill the voids from the departure of Timmy and Guy?

24 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Would love this draft and it's pretty realistic. Hits all the needs, good value, good players, hopefully something along these lines happens. What do you think of basham over bowser?

Basham looks more realistic here and I love the fit with him here.

31 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I think bowser's the better player at this point especially if you include his abilities in coverage but basham might be the better physical fit to just come flying off the edge for us

1) I think this guys rookie year is reminiscent of Anquan's, in terms of production and immediate impact.

2) slightly ambitious to think he will be there but a nice selection if he happens to be.

3) Dont like it. A straight need pick to me. And one based on projections.

Really a bit of a tweeter. Very good athleticism but I don't see him as being able to hold up on the edge and don't see him as being very physical. Gets overwhelmed in the run game. Not a refined rusher by any stretch. ( believe his name is Tyus).

3) I can see The Ravens taking Pocic but don't care for him as a prospect.

4)seems like a slot guy to me. I do like the player and the motivation but there are a few corners I would take before him in the fourth.

5) Haven't watched this guy

6) If he's available round six this is a value to me.

Edited by Edgar

1 hour ago, Drew P said:

Q in the second doesn't sound plausible. No RT? No ILB? No DE to fill the voids from the departure of Timmy and Guy?

RT, ILB, and 3/5T are all positions where the ravens can and should feel comfortable with what they already have on the roster. 

You don't always need to draft a player to replace a departure. If you have young unproven guys in house already, then what's the difference between using those unprovens vs drafting another unproven? A potential waste of picks, that's the difference

1 minute ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

RT, ILB, and 3/5T are all positions where the ravens can and should feel comfortable with what they already have on the roster. 

You don't always need to draft a player to replace a departure. If you have young unproven guys in house already, then what's the difference between using those unprovens vs drafting another unproven? A potential waste of picks, that's the difference

To add to this, there is still a wave of free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 veterans are brought in for cheap after the draft.

7 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

To add to this, there is still a wave of free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 or 3 veterans are brought in for cheap after the draft.

Oh yeah we always seem to make one late summer signing that really helps us out throughout the season it seems. 

The difference between positions like cb/wr/edge and positions like RT/ILB/DT is our history at those positions. We have always done extremely well in all of those spots and have a surplus of guys who can potentially step in currently. We have almost nothing at edge currently and even less for the future, we have never done well with WRs and we have only one meaningful guy that is staying past this season, and we have always needed depth at cb and you can never have too many quality corners. Comparing these positions is just apples and oranges

4 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Oh yeah we always seem to make one late summer signing that really helps us out throughout the season it seems. 

The difference between positions like cb/wr/edge and positions like RT/ILB/DT is our history at those positions. We have always done extremely well in all of those spots and have a surplus of guys who can potentially step in currently. We have almost nothing at edge currently and even less for the future, we have never done well with WRs and we have only one meaningful guy that is staying past this season, and we have always needed depth at cb and you can never have too many quality corners. Comparing these positions is just apples and oranges

Yep there is certainly some versatility on the offensive line and defensive line. ILB is probably one of the more concerning but the fact there is a 2nd round pick from last year and the team probably ran more of a 4-3 than 3-4 last year.. I'm not too concerned. 

Honestly I'd be thrilled with Wilson and Bowser in Rounds 1 and 2. Corey Davis is just the icing on the cake. Im not sure why Wilson's stock has been falling so much, but this would be an ideal draft for the Ravens imo. Good job. 

I disagree with those saying its optimistic that Wilson will be there in the 2nd.... id actually be surprised if he goes before that.

Bowser is shooting up boards apparently. im not a huge fan and would prefer to address pass rusher with one of our top 2 picks. And while I think Bowser has more upside as a pure edge rusher than Ryan Anderson, id probably prefer Anderson there if available. I see him as a much safer bet to become a legit 3 down player at OLB for us.... bringing enough pass rush to stay on the field on the money downs.

If it were me, and theres someone like Tim Williams, Charles Harris, Carl Lawson, Jordan Willis or TJ Watt there in the 2nd - i take the pass rusher there and wait til the 3rd for CB when hopefully some combination of Witherspoon, Sidney Jones, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor, Chidobe Awuzie, Howard Wilson should still be there. 

But thats just personal preference and not really an issue.

My main issue is Pocic. While i think he can be a good player in the NFL, i dont see him doing so for us. Just doesnt fit the profile of what the FO and coaching staff has said they want on the OL. Hes much more Jeremy Zuttah, Rick Wagner, John Urschel than he is Yanda, KO, Jensen. And theyve said they want the latter.

And 4th round and beyond is largely a crap shoot. Your best guess is as good as mine in terms of who will be there, who is value and who will pan out.

1 hour ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Whom are the guys they are comfy with in those said positions? I'm ok with Onwuasor potentially at ILB. KC looks like a spare. Hurst at RT? Take a look at the current depth chart and the spots I noted are thin as hell

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/BAL

10 minutes ago, Drew P said:

Whom are the guys they are comfy with in those said positions? I'm ok with Onwuasor potentially at ILB. KC looks like a spare. Hurst at RT? Take a look at the current depth chart and the spots I noted are thin as hell

RT: Lewis, De'Ondre Wesley, Nembot, and Hurst

ILB: Correa, McLellan, Levine, Onwuasor, Cavellis Luckett, Boseko Lokombo, Lamar Louis

5T: Urban, Kaufusi, Willie Henry

3T: Pierce, Davis, Henry

Wesley and Nembot are definitely intriguing. Remember we didnt know or think much about Wagner after 1 year.

The coaching staff is excited about Correa. McLellan has proven he can play at least like an average starter -- prob wont make many plays but also wont hurt you bad. And Levine/Onwuasor both bring an interesting component with their coverage ability as dimebackers. And Luckett, Lokombo and Louis could be the next Orr... you never know.

Urban was actually very productive on a per snap basis last year. Made a bunch of splash plays... blocking kicks, swatting passes, and getting pressure. Kaufusi with a full season now to get his core and lower body strength up could be a good sub package rusher. And Henry has size plus burst. We've seen nothing from him yet, but is full of upside.

And Pierce may not be the slashing penetrator that Jernigan was at times, but he showed an ability to get in the backfield and make plays. Put him and Williams on the field together and you almost have to double both or youre asking for trouble. If they get 1on1's they're going to win, and if they get doubled that's going to open up the rest of the front 7 to get after it.

If he's not bringing enough pass rush you give Henry a shot on 3rd downs to generate pressure. But youre not going to run up the middle with BWill and Pierce in there.

We essentially have a 3rd round pick going to the 5T spot since Kaufusi didnt play last year. No different than using a 3rd this year on it.

We essentially are using a 4th round pick on 3T since Henry wasnt needed last year.

I think a combo of McLellan on early downs with Levine/Onwuasor in sub packages is the safe bet answer at ILB, with Correa providing the singular, high upside answer.

And Wesley was really playing well last pre-season, he just got injured.

We also have young guards, who if one of them proves to be one of the top 5 OL then you can kick Lewis out to RT.

Plenty of young, day 2 early 3 draft picks that havent been given a chance that deserve it before we go wasting more picks when theres better players potentially available. 

31 minutes ago, Drew P said:

I don't see how KC is a spare. He probably would have been the 2nd ILB had zach Orr hadn't suddenly become a world beater. He might struggle to disengage in the pass rush but he still has a universal kind of skillset that lends itself well to playing ILB. Peanut looks more likely the spare imo. 

And the ravens supposedly like nembot and skura a lot. Whether or not that plays out is yet to be seen, but most didn't want zach Orr as the second ILB last year because he was nothing but a ST and reserves guy, pitta was a nobody while ed Dickson looked damn good in front of him for a while, Michael pierce had us comfortable enough to let Brandon williams test the market and he came out of nowhere. This kind of thing happens all the time, total no names put in work and develop really nicely and break out. Taking flyers on late round OL guys would obviously give us a better chance, but it's far from necessary

49 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

ILB: Correa, McLellan, Levine, Onwuasor, Cavellis Luckett, Boseko Lokombo, Lamar Louis

Wesley and Nembot are definitely intriguing. Remember we didnt know or think much about Wagner after 1 year.

The coaching staff is excited about Correa. McLellan has proven he can play at least like an average starter -- prob wont make many plays but also wont hurt you bad. And Levine/Onwuasor both bring an interesting component with their coverage ability as dimebackers. And Luckett, Lokombo and Louis could be the next Orr... you never know.

Urban was actually very productive on a per snap basis last year. Made a bunch of splash plays... blocking kicks, swatting passes, and getting pressure. Kaufusi with a full season now to get his core and lower body strength up could be a good sub package rusher. And Henry has size plus burst. We've seen nothing from him yet, but is full of upside.

And Pierce may not be the slashing penetrator that Jernigan was at times, but he showed an ability to get in the backfield and make plays. Put him and Williams on the field together and you almost have to double both or youre asking for trouble. If they get 1on1's they're going to win, and if they get doubled that's going to open up the rest of the front 7 to get after it.

If he's not bringing enough pass rush you give Henry a shot on 3rd downs to generate pressure. But youre not going to run up the middle with BWill and Pierce in there.

We essentially have a 3rd round pick going to the 5T spot since Kaufusi didnt play last year. No different than using a 3rd this year on it.

We essentially are using a 4th round pick on 3T since Henry wasnt needed last year.

I think a combo of McLellan on early downs with Levine/Onwuasor in sub packages is the safe bet answer at ILB, with Correa providing the singular, high upside answer.

And Wesley was really playing well last pre-season, he just got injured.

We also have young guards, who if one of them proves to be one of the top 5 OL then you can kick Lewis out to RT.

Plenty of young, day 2 early 3 draft picks that havent been given a chance that deserve it before we go wasting more picks when theres better players potentially available. 

Underwhelming to say the least. Reads like a cast from Mork and Mindy script..ST players from the CFL...jeesh

22 minutes ago, Drew P said:

Underwhelming to say the least. Reads like a cast from Mork and Mindy script..ST players from the CFL...jeesh

And 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks.

Which is the solution.... but only if they come from this draft? Makes sense.  

4 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

And 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks.

Which is the solution.... but only if they come from this draft? Makes sense.  

Another season of watching the playoffs from the sofa Oz and co. will be updating their resume's this time next year

Just now, Drew P said:

Another season of watching the playoffs from the sofa Oz and co. will be updating their resume's this time next year

Not sure how this is relevant to the subject at hand

I like it. Not completely ideal but I like it. If pocic gets stronger he would be perennial pro bowler at multiple positions. But with his height he has to get stronger. It's amazing he generates the leverage he can at 6'7. If he can grow into that frame he would be really really dominant.

i would prefer a cornerback and safety to 2 cornerbacks unless one could convert to free safety. In round6 I would prefer take a chance on small school athletic Linebacker to begin coaching up.

2 hours ago, Drew P said:

Scroll up

i saw the full context of the conversation, still irrelevant. 

youre saying that ozzie who has found guys in mid rounds and in the UDFA pool that they are comfortable with stepping in, means he will be fired? 

I would love this draft, I wont comment on value because it will obviously vary drastically. 

I am more of a Mwill guy, but I do like Davis and would welcome either.  I will most likely punt a baby seal if we take Ross. 

Bowser is a guy I have really started to like, I hope he is on our roster

Perine is a guy I talked a lot about last.  I would be stoked about this draft for sure.

21 hours ago, Drew P said:

See bottom of my post. Obviously we won't be content with just 7 picks so atleast 1 or 2 will be added which may address a few of those positions. Regardless though like a previous poster stated -I think we are content with a lot of the guys we already have on the roster- esp at ILB.  My guess is Patrick Onswaur will surprisingly get the nod when all is said and done. As far as RT- we have a few options there as well - ( albeit unproven) but if Pocic doesn't win the center job he can play anywhere on the line. I realize many don't like him too much but you have to value the versatility. And lastly- we still got a few waves of FA and cuts after the draft. Additions will obviously be made. King Dunlap is still out there along with Some other possibilities. We have a lot of guys that are able to move around and we'll just have to see how things shake out.

18 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I disagree with those saying its optimistic that Wilson will be there in the 2nd.... id actually be surprised if he goes before that.

Bowser is shooting up boards apparently. im not a huge fan and would prefer to address pass rusher with one of our top 2 picks. And while I think Bowser has more upside as a pure edge rusher than Ryan Anderson, id probably prefer Anderson there if available. I see him as a much safer bet to become a legit 3 down player at OLB for us.... bringing enough pass rush to stay on the field on the money downs.

If it were me, and theres someone like Tim Williams, Charles Harris, Carl Lawson, Jordan Willis or TJ Watt there in the 2nd - i take the pass rusher there and wait til the 3rd for CB when hopefully some combination of Witherspoon, Sidney Jones, Fabian Moreau, Teez Tabor, Chidobe Awuzie, Howard Wilson should still be there. 

But thats just personal preference and not really an issue.

My main issue is Pocic. While i think he can be a good player in the NFL, i dont see him doing so for us. Just doesnt fit the profile of what the FO and coaching staff has said they want on the OL. Hes much more Jeremy Zuttah, Rick Wagner, John Urschel than he is Yanda, KO, Jensen. And theyve said they want the latter.

And 4th round and beyond is largely a crap shoot. Your best guess is as good as mine in terms of who will be there, who is value and who will pan out.

Yeah Wilson has been falling as of late- there's just so much cb depth in this draft its hard to say who will go where. A lot of them are pretty even in potential so it will come down to who the individual teams like more from the interviews etc.  But yeah I think there's a very good chance he will be there- along with a few other guys that unexpectedly fall which will be nothing new. 

Im with you id prefer to draft pass rusher sooner too- I just don't think it will play out that way if we don't take one in the first. My hope is Barnett will fall to us at 16- or Watt will fall to our 2nd.. Unfortunately I don't see it happening. But that first 3rd pick is the absolute latest I see us taking one for sure. Funny you mention Anderson BC I actually debated between those two in my mind for a few minutes. Would definitely be satisfied with either. If any of those guys you mentioned ( Williams ,Harris, Lawson, Willis, Watt) make it to our second pick- absolutely id rather take any of them and wait until the third and take a Witherspoon , Douglas ( my personal fav) or even Kazee. However I just don't see those guys making it to us. I  think there will be a strong run on pass rushers in the early 2nd... if one starts to slip the question is do we offer up one of our thirds to jump up and take them? For Watt or Tim Williams I'd absolutely consider it. Willis I'm not so sure about..if he makes it all the way to our 2nd then yeah I'd probably take him-  maybe I'm crazy but for some reason I see him as an early third round guy though.  But hey if we like him we like him and might as well pull the trigger.

Edited by January J

21 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Thanks bro. Honestly not too familiar with Basham I'll have to check him out. How bout those names though? Bowser and Basham. Savage as hell lol

14 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

i saw the full context of the conversation, still irrelevant. 

youre saying that ozzie who has found guys in mid rounds and in the UDFA pool that they are comfortable with stepping in, means he will be fired? 

Once again scroll up. I clearly stated if they do not make the playoffs its time to move on from Oz. Who couldn't hit on a mid round pick when they get a ton of compensatory picks each year? Of course you will spin that around or state its irrelevant. Oh yeah its not like they "find" UDFA's. These guys more than likely get multiple invites but naturally they will select a team that they think they have a shot making the roster.

58 minutes ago, Drew P said:

Once again scroll up. I clearly stated if they do not make the playoffs its time to move on from Oz. Who couldn't hit on a mid round pick when they get a ton of compensatory picks each year? Of course you will spin that around or state its irrelevant. Oh yeah its not like they "find" UDFA's. These guys more than likely get multiple invites but naturally they will select a team that they think they have a shot making the roster.

So oz cant hit on a mid round pick? Did you watch us play in 2016? Tavon, Dixon, Judon, Lewis.. the best guard in the league was a 3rd round pick by Ozzie. The best NT in the league was a 3rd round pick by Ozzie, a 4th by Ozzie just about doubled the highest contract ever for a FB, there is plenty more on that list of ozzie mid round home runs.

And if that's the case then how come not every team finds quality UDFAs? Prospects have to be sought out and actively pursued, these guys might have 1 or 2 teams calling them. The ravens are absolutely finding UDFAs not just waiting for them to come. What do you think they just walk into the castle and say "hey I'd like a contract here" and the FO rejoices at the opportunity? No lol