BR News

[News] Late For Work 4/20: Ravens Don't Need More Weapons? That's What Joe Flacco And Mike Wallace Say

53 posts in this topic

"IF POSSIBLE" can Ozzie trade Flacco,our 16th pick for Brown's #1! picks,then sign Kapernick or even Cutler as stopgap till next year's QB rich draft? #1 PASS RUSHER,CB at 33?

"IF POSSIBLE" can Ozzie trade Flacco,our 16th pick for Brown's #1! picks,then sign Kapernick or even Cutler as stopgap till next year's QB rich draft? #1 PASS RUSHER,CB at 33?

Great idea... we wouldnt even be able to sign our draft picks at that point because all of Flacco's guaranteed money would accelerate as a dead cap hit this year and put us WAY over the salary cap.

Brilliant.

The schedule is released tonight. Although trying to guess an NFL schedule makes about as much sense as trying to correctly guess all the draft picks correctly - no chance that it - it is at least fun... I've made three schedule scenarios: a "dream schedule" in which everything goes our way (realistically, of course...); a "nightmare" version, where nothing goes our was (once again, realistically), and a third one I called "realistic" - which is neither particularly favourable, nor particularly unfavourable for us.

First, the "dream" schedule:

ravens_dream.jpg

The dream version has us open and close the regular season in the Bank; it has no run-ons of home or road games: no three-game runs of either; it gives us home MNF, SNF and TNF games; it grants our requests not to have our bye after the London game; it sends us in Green Bay in the front side of the autumn, when it's not a frozen tundra there yet; it has the TNF game before the London game, bringing us 3 more days to get acclimated to the London scene and time zone; it gives us an easy home game (v MIA) after the London trip; it gets rid of the "Week 17 @ CIN" routine that's older now than Tom Brady, and sees usd close out the season v the Browns; it brings us to Cincinatti in Week #2 when the Bengals are hopefully not gelling so greatly, improving our chances of finally winning one there; the distribution of easier and harder games is quite even.

Now, the "nightmare" version:

ravens_nightmare.jpg

The "nightmare" version is the one we get after the scheduling guy discovers his wife has cheated on him with a Ravens-fan. It has us open and close the season out on the road. We open at Heinz Field - nuff said; we get a SNF game before the London week, giving us 3 and ahalf days less tiome to prepare than the "dream" version; we are not granted the later bye, it "stays" at Week #4; we have a series of home-game and road-game runs; we close out the regular season with two road games: in Green Bay... IN DECEMBER!!!, and - you would never guess - in Cincinatti...; Only our SNF game is a home game, our TNF and MNF outings are on the road, the MNF game being the Week#16 clash in the ice field of the Lambeau; most of our easier games come in the first half, with most of our heavy weight opponents (PIT, both CIN games, OAK, GB, MIN, IND) coming in the back stretch; the OAK trip is a TNF game, giving us minimal time to shake the jet lag off; our SNF game is v the Lions - not an especially classic one...

As for the final, "realistic" version - I'll get back to it in another comment, as apperntly I'm only allowed to upload two images worth of data in one comment.

Edited by bioLarzen

I do believe that Moore and Perriman will break out this season by being our 1 & 2.
I'd like to see our O line get better as it is the key to everything we want to do.
Protect Joe and open running lanes. Our current WR's can get the job done.
We need a center we can count on too.

5 minutes ago, axisofeeble said:

Yeah sure. Let's trade away our highly paid QB for a one-year deal with someone else and then start from scratch the following year with QBs who may or may not be what we expect, and all with an immense cap hit.

Smart.

And, finally the version I call "realistic": neither too great, nor too much of a pain

ravens_realistric_smaller.jpg.dfd4eb3ddcc869719d49b7343fc94a3e.jpg

In this scenario we see some of thew recurring themes well... recur: a road MNF game, a game in CIN to close the season out; we open the season in the Bank v PIT - a classic one; we have a TNF game before the London trip, and an easier home game after that; we have a wave of home games (4 home games in W 1-6) in the opening stretch and a run of road games (4 of 5 games on the road W 5-10) in the mid-stretch (meaning no home games between 15 Oct and 19 Nov) and a fairly evenly distributed home stretch; we are granted the later bye (Week 9); we have the OAK trip after the bye, giving us ample time to allow smooth time zone switch, and what might be the easiest home game (v CHI) after the trip; sadly, we go to GB in decem,ber - albeit early; we have a road MNF game, but a winnable one ( in MIN); our closing stretch is if not brutal, it's not really kind: trips to GB, PIT and CIN and home games v DET and IND;

(Sorry for the small image size, there is a total file size limit)

22 minutes ago, axisofeeble said:

This trade would not make the slightest of sense for either trade parties. Sorry to be so harsh, but this is the truth. Let me explain why:

by giving away your franchise QB and replacing him with the likes of Kaepernick or Cutler (which alone, in itself is madness, as we already have a QB - Mallett - on our roster at least as promising as these two, and already familiar with the system, playbook, language and personnel, unlike his two afore-mentioned colleagues) would essentially mean giving up on the 2017 season - one where heavy investments have already been made. How would you rationalize all this investments to the owner for a season you then give up by removing your franchise QB? And then you do it all in hope of finding a QB next draft who MAY BE able to replace Flacco...

Nope, sorry, this would be by far the worst move Ozzie would ever make... and I think maybe even the last one he made as the GM of the Ravens, because it could easily get him fired.

Edited by bioLarzen

OMG! STOP IT.

The schedule is released tonight. Although trying to guess an NFL schedule makes about as much sense as trying to correctly guess all the draft picks correctly - no chance that it - it is at least fun... I've made three schedule scenarios: a "dream schedule" in which everything goes our way (realistically, of course...); a "nightmare" version, where nothing goes our was (once again, realistically), and a third one I called "realistic" - which is neither particularly favourable, nor particularly unfavourable for us.

First, the "dream" schedule:

ravens_dream.jpg

The dream version has us open and close the regular season in the Bank; it has no run-ons of home or road games: no three-game runs of either; it gives us home MNF, SNF and TNF games; it grants our requests not to have our bye after the London game; it sends us in Green Bay in the front side of the autumn, when it's not a frozen tundra there yet; it has the TNF game before the London game, bringing us 3 more days to get acclimated to the London scene and time zone; it gives us an easy home game (v MIA) after the London trip; it gets rid of the "Week 17 @ CIN" routine that's older now than Tom Brady, and sees usd close out the season v the Browns; it brings us to Cincinatti in Week #2 when the Bengals are hopefully not gelling so greatly, improving our chances of finally winning one there; the distribution of easier and harder games is quite even.

Now, the "nightmare" version:

ravens_nightmare.jpg

The "nightmare" version is the one we get after the scheduling guy discovers his wife has cheated on him with a Ravens-fan. It has us open and close the season out on the road. We open at Heinz Field - nuff said; we get a SNF game before the London week, giving us 3 and ahalf days less tiome to prepare than the "dream" version; we are not granted the later bye, it "stays" at Week #4; we have a series of home-game and road-game runs; we close out the regular season with two road games: in Green Bay... IN DECEMBER!!!, and - you would never guess - in Cincinatti...; Only our SNF game is a home game, our TNF and MNF outings are on the road, the MNF game being the Week#16 clash in the ice field of the Lambeau; most of our easier games come in the first half, with most of our heavy weight opponents (PIT, both CIN games, OAK, GB, MIN, IND) coming in the back stretch; the OAK trip is a TNF game, giving us minimal time to shake the jet lag off; our SNF game is v the Lions - not an especially classic one...

As for the final, "realistic" version - I'll get back to it in another comment, as apperntly I'm only allowed to upload two images worth of data in one comment.

Like the work you put into this Bio. I think the only thing that we might be able to count on is that we will get the first two games at home based on the O's schedule as they are on the road 9-10 and 9-17.Titans and Packers looking like great road games to go to.

1 minute ago, whobilly said:

Like the work you put into this Bio. I think the only thing that we might be able to count on is that we will get the first two games at home based on the O's schedule as they are on the road 9-10 and 9-17.Titans and Packers looking like great road games to go to.

I'm not sure we won't get a road game for Week#1 - a short trip like CLE, CIN, PIT or even TEN. But I agree, two home games before the London trip sounds more reasonable.

We cannot think going into this year that Permian is going to make it a whole season. I hope Moore has learned how to catch this offseason. Besides Wallace the rest of the core is ??????? This position has been a whole ever since the Ravens have arrived in Baltimore.

My second thought is I keep hearing we need to trade back this year to get more picks. I translate that in to good maybe solid players but not impact players. Our drafts have been on the decline and i Look at the draft that set the tone. The year Dalles jumped right infant of us and took Dez Bryant was the year we missed it big. That was a perfect wideout for this team and we should have traded up to get him. We new Dalles was going to trade up because Jerry Jones said publicly how he missed on Randy Moss. I get trading back if you have STARS on the team and we just need a few pieces. The way we got our Stars was to trade up Suggs, Nhagta, Peter B, and other greats. Who are the playmakers on this team now. Williams is coming and Mosley are on there way but not there yet.

We have drafted a lot of what if guys now its time to draft game changers.

You always need more weapons..... injuries occur and its fairly clear we lack depth at the "playmaker" spot. I believe in Wallace and Perriman but injuries don't care about mine or their opinions. Not to mention our Backfield scares no one

First, Flacco and Wallace are wrong not thinking they don't need more weapons. Second thought....if Mel Kiper always gives the Ravens A and A+ Draft grades how did we become so mediocre?

51 minutes ago, axisofeeble said:

Myles Garrett would be a pretty dope addition, our D would be truly fearsome. But replacing Flacco with Kap/Cutler... that's just a nightmare. 

I also would like to get rid of Flacco, but we can't. They could redo his contract to help his CAP HIT and let us get a few more free agents, like a WR.
I've never been a Mel Kiper fan and doubt his mock draft choices.

The do RAVEN'S need a lot of offensive help. With all the TE's we have signed who can play a solid game?? That's why I preach TE Howard from Ala. The guy can be a beast anywhere on the field. He will pull a LB away from the line and help our poor O line to open holes.

At RB, who cares who we have. When it's 4th and one we have to pass the ball, that's just sad.
The O line help is a must. After Howard with the first pick, a LB/Edge with the second, use the third or fourth for a O lineman and a RB. I think we can get more LB's, WR's and/or CB's in the later rounds.

But what we all think is nothing. It's all up to Ozzie and his staff.

36 minutes ago, The Negotiator said:

We cannot think going into this year that Permian is going to make it a whole season.

It's a little strange claim - considering he has just had a 16-game season...

35 minutes ago, whobilly said:

First, Flacco and Wallace are wrong not thinking they don't need more weapons.

So, you think we are in a better position to judge this than those two are?

In regards to Flacco and Wallace, in terms of wide receivers we have 8, which on paper sounds terrific. The problem is only a fraction of them have shown enough offensive production to be considered good weapons, them being Wallace himself and Perriman. Campanaro is decent but he's played in a total of 11 games in his 3 years here and only notched 2 TDs. Chris Moore has had a couple good catches but his only TDs were on special teams. Chris Matthews has only scored once in his entire career. Vince Mayle is on his 3rd team in 2 years. And both Kenny Bell and Keenan Reynolds haven't done anything.

Now it's entirely possible that one of those guys might be the diamond in the rough we're looking for, and that's the scenario we all want to happen. It's not a guarantee which is why picking a WR in the draft is more than necessary.

Our WR core right now is, Moore, Wallace and Perriman who I believe are great or going to be great players for us but we also have Kenny Bell, Vince Mayle, Chris Matthews and don't forget Keenan Reynolds. I realize half of these guys are unproven but we did pick them up for a reason and it's time to throw them into the fire in training camp. I don't put all of our WR woes on just the WR's. We know Joe hasn't been the greatest at eluding pressure then making great passes and dump offs are his forte plus, 1st year guys (whether they're rookies or just their fist year on our team) aren't going to always run the right routes etc. We upgrade our O line and I believe these guys will do even better this year.

Flacco and Wallace are saying what they need to say in order to pay respect to their teammates. Fact is this team has a below-average receiving corps as-is. There's a reason our FO was close to signing Alshon Jeffery (according to RSR).

Lets not forget we have a whole bunch of TEs who all have good hands and can run the short outs and crossing routes. Also our running backs are pretty good receivers also so we don't lack when it comes to pass catchers.

I do believe that Moore and Perriman will break out this season by being our 1 & 2.
I'd like to see our O line get better as it is the key to everything we want to do.
Protect Joe and open running lanes. Our current WR's can get the job done.
We need a center we can count on too.

Wallace is no slouch at receiver, even at his advanced age it would be hard for me to see both Moore and Perriman surpassing him on the depth chart. Another year with Joe and without Steve should increase his production. And we will be picking up some WR in the draft to come in and compete.

Even if it was possible I can assure you that the front office is not pondering this type of deal. You can throw out as many outlandish scenarios as you want, but to think that the FO would actually act on one of them isn't in the realm of possibility.

20 minutes ago, sami said:

Lets not forget we have a whole bunch of TEs who all have good hands and can run the short outs and crossing routes. Also our running backs are pretty good receivers also so we don't lack when it comes to pass catchers.

The problem is that there's a fair chance a considerable portion of that huge TE group will be gone/injured/inactive on game days. We don't know what we can expect of Ben Watson; we cannot really trust Gillmore to stay healthy; we have yet to see Maxx Williams become what he was drafted for to become; we don't know if Boyle can stay clean this time; Waller is promising - but he is depth at this point. And there you go with Pitta once again :) It can be a hugely rich crop - and just as well a seriously diminished one... no way of knowing.

Edited by bioLarzen

2 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

ravens_nightmare.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if the NFL doesn't listen to the Ravens request and schedules the bye after the London game. 

Edited by 757RavensFan

If Flacco figures out a way to utilize all his options in 3rd down situations, the offense will be well served. Last year, defenses baited him into throwing to Pitta that they exploited. Flacco needs to see more than Pitta during critical situations and not be so predictable. Hopefully it was just the knee doing its thing with his head and him looking for him comfort zone but that cannot continue this year. Pitta cannot be the be all end all in critical situations or else we'll fail miserably all over again as an offense.

We cannot think going into this year that Permian is going to make it a whole season. I hope Moore has learned how to catch this offseason. Besides Wallace the rest of the core is ??????? This position has been a whole ever since the Ravens have arrived in Baltimore.

My second thought is I keep hearing we need to trade back this year to get more picks. I translate that in to good maybe solid players but not impact players. Our drafts have been on the decline and i Look at the draft that set the tone. The year Dalles jumped right infant of us and took Dez Bryant was the year we missed it big. That was a perfect wideout for this team and we should have traded up to get him. We new Dalles was going to trade up because Jerry Jones said publicly how he missed on Randy Moss. I get trading back if you have STARS on the team and we just need a few pieces. The way we got our Stars was to trade up Suggs, Nhagta, Peter B, and other greats. Who are the playmakers on this team now. Williams is coming and Mosley are on there way but not there yet.

We have drafted a lot of what if guys now its time to draft game changers.

Well Perriman made it a whole season last year, so obviously quite reasonable to think he will play a whole season this year.

Certainly not at any more risk of injury then any of the other guys who play for us this year.

I also would like to get rid of Flacco, but we can't. They could redo his contract to help his CAP HIT and let us get a few more free agents, like a WR.
I've never been a Mel Kiper fan and doubt his mock draft choices.

The do RAVEN'S need a lot of offensive help. With all the TE's we have signed who can play a solid game?? That's why I preach TE Howard from Ala. The guy can be a beast anywhere on the field. He will pull a LB away from the line and help our poor O line to open holes.

At RB, who cares who we have. When it's 4th and one we have to pass the ball, that's just sad.
The O line help is a must. After Howard with the first pick, a LB/Edge with the second, use the third or fourth for a O lineman and a RB. I think we can get more LB's, WR's and/or CB's in the later rounds.

But what we all think is nothing. It's all up to Ozzie and his staff.

Actually, there's pretty much nothing redoing his contract would accomplish either.

If you really think the team needs the money that badly, then donate your salary for the year to them.

That's more justifiable than asking Joe to take a paycut from $6M.

Wake up.