JO_75

Draft Rumor Mill

270 posts in this topic

I figured to post a draft rumors thread since we are one week away from the draft. Post any rumors here, and I'll start with one involving a Browns-Jets trade. There is a report that the Browns will draft Garrett number one and strike a deal with the Jets at 6 in order to grab Trubisky. 

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Browns-talking-trade-with-Jets-52376731

41 minutes ago, JO_75 said:

I figured to post a draft rumors thread since we are one week away from the draft. Post any rumors here, and I'll start with one involving a Browns-Jets trade. There is a report that the Browns will draft Garrett number one and strike a deal with the Jets at 6 in order to grab Trubisky. 

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Browns-talking-trade-with-Jets-52376731

Something like this has always made a lot of sense although I have to think that if the jets are willing to trade down then they probably aren't as in love with trubisky as has been reported in places - maybe that source really was a titans front office guy trying to lay the groundwork for a trade that benefits them

this move would make sense - I can't see the browns using all of their picks over the next 2 years because they have so many so I fully expect them to package picks at times - if they do love trubisky then it makes a lot of sense but this definitely won't happen until draft day if it does simplest because the 49ers, bears and jags likely won't but could take the Indy

I wasn't sure where to post it the other day, but multiple media outlets are reporting that McCaffrey received a draft guarantee from a team in the teens.

7 hours ago, Maryland said:

I wasn't sure where to post it the other day, but multiple media outlets are reporting that McCaffrey received a draft guarantee from a team in the teens.

That's got to be either the eagles or the bucs surely...

7 hours ago, Maryland said:

I heard this as well. Apparently that's why he's not doing any private workouts for teams. I'm thinking saints or colts

edit: Rossi pointed out the eagles which would make more sense than either of them.

Edited by JoeyFlex5

26 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I heard this as well. Apparently that's why he's not doing any private workouts for teams. I'm thinking saints or colts

edit: Rossi pointed out the eagles which would make more sense than either of them.

I think it could be the Saints or Colts. The Saints have tried to run a heavy run offense and the past two years has flopped to the point Brees still throws the most in the league. McCaffery would be a good complement to Ingram in their offense. That is if they are confident in finding a top notch corner at #32. 

8 hours ago, Maryland said:

Good as long is it is before 16

20 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I think it could be the Saints or Colts. The Saints have tried to run a heavy run offense and the past two years has flopped to the point Brees still throws the most in the league. McCaffery would be a good complement to Ingram in their offense. That is if they are confident in finding a top notch corner at #32. 

He'd be exciting in the saints offense but I just think they have to be focusing on defense - brees will put up yards and lead a top 10-5 offense no matter who they have on offense but their defense has consistently ruined any potential chances to progress - I don't see how they don't go defense

id like the colts to go rb because it would mean they aren't improving in the front office despite jettisoning Ryan grigson

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

He'd be exciting in the saints offense but I just think they have to be focusing on defense - brees will put up yards and lead a top 10-5 offense no matter who they have on offense but their defense has consistently ruined any potential chances to progress - I don't see how they don't go defense

id like the colts to go rb because it would mean they aren't improving in the front office despite jettisoning Ryan grigson

Colts still need a rb though. They've been squeezing every little bit of life out of frank gore that they can and to keep Andrew luck upright and to keep him from throwing picks they need to give him an easy outlet. 

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

I love Brees and I think he is a top 3 quarterback in the league but I do think his stats are really inflated from garbage time. I think defense is more of a concern but they do have 2 first round picks and both necessarily don't have to go to defense. Having a 1-2 punch on the ground will do what they want to do and will keep their defense off the field longer. 

I would scratch my head if the Colts took a running back.

1 minute ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Colts still need a rb though. They've been squeezing every little bit of life out of frank gore that they can and to keep Andrew luck upright and to keep him from throwing picks they need to give him an easy outlet. 

I actually think the best way for their offense to flourish is to upgrade the offensive line. 

44 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I actually think the best way for their offense to flourish is to upgrade the offensive line. 

Oh for sure, unless you're the cowboys raiders or browns then an OL upgrade will always be one of the best ways to improve the offense. 

But at 15, are there really options there at OL?

3 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

That's got to be either the eagles or the bucs surely...

I live in the Philly market and a lot of the beat writers and local insiders dont expect the Eagles to touch McCaffery. A good portion of the fan base wants him bad, but most of the "experts" say they'd be shocked.

I agree it makes a ton of sense... he reminds me a lot of Brian Westbrook who thrived in Andy Reids offense for years, and who has almost always preferred diverse backs that can catch the ball out of the back field or out of the slot.

But Joe Douglas is running their draft board now... who is an Ozzie/Decosta disciple.... and McCaffery just doesnt feel like a pick theyd make that high. But who knows. Maybe Pederson and Roseman will over rule him.

I posted this somewhere else... but rumor is that a good portion of teams have Marlon Humphrey #1 or 2 on their board for CB's, and should be off the board in the first half of round 1.

Chidobe Awuzie is apparently somewhat of a polarizing prospect where some teams in the mid-teens of the 1st round have said he's in the conversation for their pick, while others have a 3rd round grade on him.

10 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I posted this somewhere else... but rumor is that a good portion of teams have Marlon Humphrey #1 or 2 on their board for CB's, and should be off the board in the first half of round 1.

Chidobe Awuzie is apparently somewhat of a polarizing prospect where some teams in the mid-teens of the 1st round have said he's in the conversation for their pick, while others have a 3rd round grade on him.

Of course you never know who's blowing smoke at this time of year, but I've seen some say they're hearing almost a 3 way split between Lattimore, Conley, and Humphrey for the #1 CB spot.

3 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Of course you never know who's blowing smoke at this time of year, but I've seen some say they're hearing almost a 3 way split between Lattimore, Conley, and Humphrey for the #1 CB spot.

It wouldnt surprise me, because that seemed to be the consensus when the tape was all anyone had to go on.

It wasnt until the combine and pro days that you started hearing other names in the mix.

1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

It wouldnt surprise me, because that seemed to be the consensus when the tape was all anyone had to go on.

It wasnt until the combine and pro days that you started hearing other names in the mix.

I think Lattimore's injury history has a big play in it, or at least it seems.  Regardless, you're looking at a very talented trio of top options and a couple after them could easily be in the same conversation.

4 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

I think Lattimore's injury history has a big play in it, or at least it seems.  Regardless, you're looking at a very talented trio of top options and a couple after them could easily be in the same conversation.

I could see there being a big run on CB's starting in the mid/late teens through to the 2nd round.

Once Lattimore and Humphrey/Conley go, i think we're going to see a bunch of teams panic and start to grab guys and the teams that didnt get one in the Top 10 will want to get one early 2nd.

Wouldnt shock me one bit if we see like Lattimore, Humphrey and Conley go top 14-18 picks... and then any number of Tre White, Chidobe Awuzie, Kevin King, Adoree Jackson, Sidney Jones, Quincy Wilson, Ahkello Witherspoon, Fabian Moreau, Tank, and Tabor all go off the board in a run in the top 50 or so picks.

Hope not bc i dont want to have to grab a CB in the top 2 rounds.... hoping a good one falls to us in the 3rd. And while i think theres upside with some of the guys like Howard Wilson, Rasul Douglas, Cam Sutton, Kazee, Cutrer; id feel like we missed the boat once again if that was the crew we had left to pick from.

4 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Second round or second pick?

I believe 2nd pick. Looks like they're one of the teams that Charlie spoke with in the middle of round 1 that have Awuzie in the convo for their pick.

7 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Second round or second pick?

At 18 overall according to Tony pauline 

Could be going WR with 1st . Makes sense if they presume all 3 wideouts  gone by their pick at 18.

They also are apparently high on Conley there.

Edited by Edgar

8 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Walter Football also linking McCaffrey to the BENGALS,  jets and Panthers inside top ten.

Panthers seem to be the hot name right now since Fournette to the Jags is considered a strong possibility at this point.

5 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Apparently one team found Kevin King to have seventh round film, but first round size, weight, speed.

That's gotta be a smokescreen, I'm not as high on King as some people have been after the combine - I still don't see him as a first rounder - but 7th rounder tape is stretching it more than a bit.

16 minutes ago, RavensFanMania said:

Rueben Foster had a failed drug test at the combine per rotoworld.  It was diluted which counts as a failed test.  Rumors he could slip into round 2

It was a diluted sample I believe. I think we absolutely draft him at 16 or maybe even draft down into the low 20s' if he sliding and still draft him. He's a generational talent and a good kid who'll be a great complement to Mosley for the next decade.

13 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Apparently one team found Kevin King to have seventh round film, but first round size, weight, speed.

Lol....that team will be the one to draft him high