BR News

[News] With His Knee Injury Behind Him, Joe Flacco Is Building A Better Foundation

9 posts in this topic

The Ravens quarterback reiterated that his knee did not affect his play last season, but it did leave him catching up during the offseason. Flacco is happy that he’ll have more time with his young receivers and won’t have his knee as a distraction.

View the full article

I honestly hope he's wrong in asserting that the knee injury wasn't the cause of his terrible performance last season, otherwise it would mean that he is declining for some other reason. There's hope he improves from last season if it was just his knee bothering him: he wasn't stepping into his throws, and he was much less accurate as a result. I hope the knee was just on his mind, causing hesitation when he should have been stepping into his throws--that might be an easier fix.

I honestly hope he's wrong in asserting that the knee injury wasn't the cause of his terrible performance last season, otherwise it would mean that he is declining for some other reason. There's hope he improves from last season if it was just his knee bothering him: he wasn't stepping into his throws, and he was much less accurate as a result. I hope the knee was just on his mind, causing hesitation when he should have been stepping into his throws--that might be an easier fix.

The knee definitely had something to do with it, whether it was all of it or not. You're right, I could see it in his throws. But the thing that drove me insane was his pocket confidence and mobility. He was just about as ski-dish as possible in the pocket all year, then his mobility getting out of there was about as bad as you'll see as well. Sure some people want to blame that on the line, but I was watching Flacco all year, especially when our line was doing well.
I don't know if anyone remembers this, but I feel like it was somewhere around the middle of the season. I think Flacco had about a 15-18 run at home. Before the run, he panicked and kind of did a 360 while spinning out of the pocket like he was avoiding 2 or 3 rushers in the process. Unless I just missed it when I was watching live ( and drinking), there wasn't one person putting serious pressure on him at the time. It was just a classic example of how uneasy he was in the pocket the whole year. That had to do a lot with his knee. I think Joe will have a bounce back year. Gotta take care of business next week, but I'm expecting the Ravens to return to a top 3 AFC team this year. That is if Harbaugh doesn't sabotage things again like last year

Flacco obviously wasn't comfortable in his pocket last year and i think it comes down to 3 reasons.

1- The Oline was never close to full strength. That would cause most QBs to force throws early or just check down un necesarrily.

2- Coming back from a serious knee injury is not easy and I absolutely get it. I also commend Flacco for not using it as an excuse but we all know it factored.

3- most importantly, the scheme was a horrible horrible fit! Flacco never has been and never will be a timing or touch passer. Flacco needs his first read to run an intermediate route. His second read should always be someone that finds a sweet spot in coverage 6-12 yards. Finally, he needs a WR going deep at any given play so that he can throw up a 50/50 ball to him of the first two reads are covered. That means the deep guy has 1vs1 and that's playing to Flaccos strength!

id also like to see Flacco have the option to audible to a run when defenses show obvious 7 players in coverage. Just run behind your overload and take 6 yards. Then no huddle and take 6 more yards when defenses disrespect us with playing 7 DBs.

11 hours ago, MadStorkSociety said:

You thinking improved endurance? I'm thinking reduced injuries.

I'm also thinking reduce injuries. If we can reduce injuries by 10 percent then that will be the best addition of the offseason lol

i honestly don't know how much Saunders can help Flacco. I for one am anticipating Flacco renting a farm in the middle of no where and invite all his WRs for a nice few weeks of running routes. Now that would do wonders! And the WR that doesn't show up can enjoy warming the bench for the starters

I hope Jimmy stays healthy, too. When he is out, we're a much different defense. At least we were last season. Time will tell, I guess. I think the Ravens will wait to draft a CB until later rounds, but do think one will be drafted.

Flacco on offense and Jimmy Smith on defense are the two most important players that need to stay healthy this year for us to have any shot at the playoffs.