Edgar

Edgar Mock Six

37 posts in this topic

TRADE IN ROUND ONE: RAVENS SWAP FIRST ROUND SELECTION WITH HOUSTON, GARNERING ADDITIONAL SECOND ROUND PICK (57).

Houston moves to get quarterback in front of Redskins.

ROUND ONE (25), RAVENS SELECT :

GARETT BOLLES- TACKLE, UTAH

This guy is supremely athletic. This isn't simple hyperbole. He really is special athletically. Plays with nasty edge.

I'm not sure how he shakes out position wise. I suspect at right tackle but I think he would fit anywhere on the line. Needs to add weight and become stronger but adds versatility and great athleticism.

ROUND TWO, RAVENS SELECT:

RYAN ANDERSON - OLB, ALABAMA

Just a Raven type player through and through. Tough, non stop physical football player. Powerful hands jolting tackles. Assignment sound and undervalued off the edge.

ROUND TWO, ( From Texans), RAVENS SELECT:

PAT ELFLEIN - C/G, OHIO STATE

Another versatile lineman. Will start at center.

ROUND THREE, RAVENS SELECT:

AKHELLO WITHERSPOON, DB, COLORADO

Big surprise, I know. Terrific corner.

ROUND THREE, RAVENS SELECT:

RYAN SWITZER, WR, NORTH CAROLINA

Not sure if this is a bit rich but I don't think it's worth waiting to find out. Will be as productive as projected first round receivers from this draft out of the slot. Joe will love playing with this guy.

ROUND FOUR, RAVENS SELECT:

JOE MATHIS, OLB, WASHINGTON

Injuries and limited tape are the only question marks I have for this guy.

A Better overall player than Tim Williams, better pass rusher than Takkarist McKinley. A steal if he's healthy. The thought of he and Anderson together......

ROUND FIVE, RAVENS SELECT:

CHANNING STRIBBLING, DB, MICHIGAN

a favorite of mine. Long...good ball skills. Good awareness in run game. Needs more weight.

ROUND SIX, RAVENS SELECT:

JORDAN WESTERKAMP, WR, NEBRASKA

Fearless over the middle, great hands. Very competitive. Will high point ball and routinely wins in tight space and contested 50/50 situations.

-2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think .ist of these guys got taken a round earlier than they should've. I do like where you're at and what you're thinking, but again I think most of these guys could've been taken one round later. Also I'm not a fan of Bolles. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

not a great draft IMO.

 

No game changers here.

True, However he is correct on Bolles. He is as fast, flexible, nasty and athletic a tackle you will find! If Bolles were stronger and grown into his frame like 310-315 range he would be a top5 pick. And probably Would go directly after  Myles Garrett.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

True, However he is correct on Bolles. He is as fast, flexible, nasty and athletic a tackle you will find! If Bolles were stronger and grown into his frame like 310-315 range he would be a top5 pick. And probably Would go directly after  Myles Garrett.

 

isnt he 26 years old?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sami84 said:

not a great draft IMO.

 

No game changers here.

Understand that in this scenario, guys like Reddick, Davis,etc. are all off board at 16.

I get your point but this draft dramatically changes our offensive line thus changing the game significantly.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Understand that in this scenario, guys like Reddick, Davis,etc. are all off board at 16.

I get your point but this draft dramatically changes our offensive line thus changing the game significantly.

 

 

 

What about Jordan Willis? Anyway this is one of the many scenarios you've put up..eventually one had to be meh :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Bolles. Best Run Blocker in this class by far. No other lineman in this draft has his instincts, ability to get to the second level, or his edge. Not an Anderson guy though. Still + from me though. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Understand that in this scenario, guys like Reddick, Davis,etc. are all off board at 16.

I get your point but this draft dramatically changes our offensive line thus changing the game significantly.

 

 

I get that the board changes in the 20s and that we need a better offensive line, but Bolles is a project. There are still likely to be other safer or more electric picks at 25, such as Jabrill Peppers, Tim Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Malik McDowell, etc. 

I like Elflein and Witherspoon in their slots, but Anderson might be a reach. I do think however that he is a very underrated player and could be worth it in the second. 

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

What about Jordan Willis? Anyway this is one of the many scenarios you've put up..eventually one had to be meh :P

That's funny.:rolleyes:

Jordan Willis in which spot?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

I get that the board changes in the 20s and that we need a better offensive line, but Bolles is a project. There are still likely to be other safer or more electric picks at 25, such as Jabrill Peppers, Tim Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Malik McDowell, etc. 

I like Elflein and Witherspoon in their slots, but Anderson might be a reach. I do think however that he is a very underrated player and could be worth it in the second. 

Neither Peppers nor McDowell are safe picks...not even Tim Williams is. 

Edited by Jonah DeVito
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

I get that the board changes in the 20s and that we need a better offensive line, but Bolles is a project. There are still likely to be other safer or more electric picks at 25, such as Jabrill Peppers, Tim Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Malik McDowell, etc. 

I like Elflein and Witherspoon in their slots, but Anderson might be a reach. I do think however that he is a very underrated player and could be worth it in the second. 

...also would probably take McDowell over Bolles, the others, no. I considered Tim Williams but opted for Anderson/Mathis

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sami84 said:

not a great draft IMO.

 

No game changers here.

i dont often agree with you but i do here - this is a mock draft full of lots of potential solid starters but no one who might develop into a dominant, top-level at his position guy

at 25 i'd be looking at one of the corners or edge guys for sure - carl lawson, tim williams, takk mckinley, tj watt, tredavious white, quincy wilson

and honestly, i think ryan anderson, switzer and stribling are all taken a bit early here...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be too thrilled with this.

Ryan Switzer is my "late round" guy this year, but round 3 is too early for him.  I LOVE him and I don't think I'd even consider him before the 4th, but the 5th or 6th round is probably the highest most teams will draft him at because of his size.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldnt be very happy with this draft.

I'd feel like we didnt hit on a playmaking pass rusher or WR... arguably 2 of our biggest need.

I like the Elflein and Witherspoon picks a lot. Other than that, everything feels reached for. Coming away with maybe the 2nd or 3rd best RT prospect in the 1st round wouldnt make me feel too good, especially with talented pass rushers and CBs guaranteed to be on the board there.

 

To me, we have to come away from this draft feeling like we've got a play making WR or pass rusher. Definitely one of them, if not both. The selections at both positions are kinda bleh for me, especially WR. 

If we're getting Anderson, Elflein and Witherspoon... and theres a legit pass rush or WR prospect in the 1st -- im loving it.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with this team isn't that we don't have good depth and good contributors. We lack elite high end players. Especially at skill positions. I don't think this draft philosophy really fits what we need.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Edgar said:

Understand that in this scenario, guys like Reddick, Davis,etc. are all off board at 16.

I get your point but this draft dramatically changes our offensive line thus changing the game significantly.

Really need context to judge drafts with any type of informed opinion.  Who all were the first 15 picks?  Then who was available after the trade-back when we took Bolles? Id be happy with us building the OL, but im just not a fan of Anderson.  Its hard not to be happy building the OL, but even then there isnt much to get excited here for me. 

One thing i will say, like i stated above, i dont get people who do mock drafts but yet dont at least list the players off the board.  Not saying to do a full player to team description, but without knowing who is available its hard to say if the trade back was worth it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Really need context to judge drafts with any type of informed opinion.  Who all were the first 15 picks?  Then who was available after the trade-back when we took Bolles? Id be happy with us building the OL, but im just not a fan of Anderson.  Its hard not to be happy building the OL, but even then there isnt much to get excited here for me. 

One thing i will say, like i stated above, i dont get people who do mock drafts but yet dont at least list the players off the board.  Not saying to do a full player to team description, but without knowing who is available its hard to say if the trade back was worth it. 

even without that i say it is bad value to be honest given where i have these players on my board:

forewarning - i know this sounds like hubris but i promise its not

he picks bolles at 25 when i have bolles 30th on my board - and likely we will at minimum get the 23rd player on the board because 1 qb will go ahead of us to the texans who traded us the pick, and another team is likely to take one as well or the trade wouldnt need to happen

he picks anderson at 47 when I have him as the 42nd player on my board - that is feasible i suppose and maybe the right range but we'd be unlucky if we only get our 42nd best player at 47 given that at least 3 and maybe 5 qbs will have gone by then - every other team would literally have to be operating off of my big board for that to happen - this pick is probably fair but i fully expect us to get a late 1st/early 2nd rated guy

obviously it's my board not the raven's board but i cant imagine these guys being BPA at either picks unless the ravens have fallen in love with one of them

pat elflein i think is probably good value on my board at the 57th pick there but i feel like he's a lot lower on many other board members' boards as well as media boards but i think he's good value at 57

witherspoon is even better value that's a great pick

i see no way that switzer is a day 2 pick and certainly not near the top of the 3rd round... he's picked here at 78 - i think i've been kind compared to some members when i have him at 112 on my board which would make him a 4th round pick if everyone used my board as a cheat sheet - i think he likely goes in the 5th but maybe even the 6th - if you want to make sure you get him the 4th would be when to do it - certainly not a day 2 pick

joe mathis is 101 on my board so its fair to take him there in the 4th although again i imagine there will be higher players available when we pick

channing stribling i personally think is a reach but i could see how his value might fluctuate from person to person and team to team given his lack of flexibility in schemes due to his lack of speed and playing time - i think he's fair game in the 6th - he's 170th on my board and we pick at 186 but the 5th feels too rich

jordan westerkamp i dont know much about - i havent watched anything of him so he's not on my board...

i write all of this with the massive proviso that i dont think im right about all of these guys and likely am 100% wrong but the value of all of them just feels to be a little bit low at pretty much every spot - this feels like the kind of draft the seahawks could have and be hailed for finding value towards the back of each round but given our draft spot this feels too rich everywhere except elflein and witherspoon and maybe mathis - but of course that's just... like my opinion... man

obviously context helps but i think the value of these guys is such that even without context we can judge it ok

Edited by rossihunter2
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

even without that i say it is bad value to be honest given where i have these players on my board:

forewarning - i know this sounds like hubris but i promise its not

he picks bolles at 25 when i have bolles 30th on my board - and likely we will at minimum get the 23rd player on the board because 1 qb will go ahead of us to the texans who traded us the pick, and another team is likely to take one as well or the trade wouldnt need to happen

he picks anderson at 47 when I have him as the 42nd player on my board - that is feasible i suppose and maybe the right range but we'd be unlucky if we only get our 42nd best player at 47 given that at least 3 and maybe 5 qbs will have gone by then - every other team would literally have to be operating off of my big board for that to happen - this pick is probably fair but i fully expect us to get a late 1st/early 2nd rated guy

obviously it's my board not the raven's board but i cant imagine these guys being BPA at either picks unless the ravens have fallen in love with one of them

pat elflein i think is probably good value on my board at the 57th pick there but i feel like he's a lot lower on many other board members' boards as well as media boards but i think he's good value at 57

witherspoon is even better value that's a great pick

i see no way that switzer is a day 2 pick and certainly not near the top of the 3rd round... he's picked here at 78 - i think i've been kind compared to some members when i have him at 112 on my board which would make him a 4th round pick if everyone used my board as a cheat sheet - i think he likely goes in the 5th but maybe even the 6th - if you want to make sure you get him the 4th would be when to do it - certainly not a day 2 pick

joe mathis is 101 on my board so its fair to take him there in the 4th although again i imagine there will be higher players available when we pick

channing stribling i personally think is a reach but i could see how his value might fluctuate from person to person and team to team given his lack of flexibility in schemes due to his lack of speed and playing time - i think he's fair game in the 6th - he's 170th on my board and we pick at 186 but the 5th feels too rich

jordan westerkamp i dont know much about - i havent watched anything of him so he's not on my board...

i write all of this with the massive proviso that i dont think im right about all of these guys and likely am 100% wrong but the value of all of them just feels to be a little bit low at pretty much every spot - this feels like the kind of draft the seahawks could have and be hailed for finding value towards the back of each round but given our draft spot this feels too rich everywhere except elflein and witherspoon and maybe mathis - but of course that's just... like my opinion... man

obviously context helps but i think the value of these guys is such that even without context we can judge it ok

Sounds like hubris. :D

Have you actually watched Mathis?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Sounds like hubris. :D

Have you actually watched Mathis?

the injuries worry me a little and i think he's been overhyped too - he doesnt bend with great balance, seems strong in the run game but too easily taken out of the passing game at times - he runs way too straight and with not much in his locker with regards to disengaging or rush moves - he works his hands ok and uses his upper body well to shed blocks in the run game and occasionally bully a pass blocker

he certainly has potential but i definitely dont think his ceiling is as high as you described - he's nowhere near as good a prospect in edge rushing or setting the edge in the run game as tim williams or takk mckinley - i think the 4th round is maybe ok value but i personally dont think he'll be bpa until the 5th to be honest

i think the stanford and oregon games just before his injury made him seem better than he maybe is - especially given that he essentially had sacks in 4 games in a row at that point - im not saying he's a bad prospect but i think he's overhyped

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

the injuries worry me a little and i think he's been overhyped too - he doesnt bend with great balance, seems strong in the run game but too easily taken out of the passing game at times - he runs way too straight and with not much in his locker with regards to disengaging or rush moves - he works his hands ok and uses his upper body well to shed blocks in the run game and occasionally bully a pass blocker

he certainly has potential but i definitely dont think his ceiling is as high as you described - he's nowhere near as good a prospect in edge rushing or setting the edge in the run game as tim williams or takk mckinley - i think the 4th round is maybe ok value but i personally dont think he'll be bpa until the 5th to be honest

i think the stanford and oregon games just before his injury made him seem better than he maybe is - especially given that he essentially had sacks in 4 games in a row at that point - im not saying he's a bad prospect but i think he's overhyped

 

the Oregon and Stanford games didn't make him appear better than he is. He's actually that good.

He actually has a lot of answers rushing the quarterback. Far more than Takkarist. He wins the edge consistently because he understands how to set tackles up.

He does run funny,though.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Edgar said:

 

the Oregon and Stanford games didn't make him appear better than he is. He's actually that good.

He actually has a lot of answers rushing the quarterback. Far more than Takkarist. He wins the edge consistently because he understands how to set tackles up.

He does run funny,though.

 

Don't get me wrong I like Joe Mathis but he's a day 3 guy if ever I saw one - he's a guy who I think can maybe earn snaps setting the edge early in his career but who'll need a lot of work to become a consistent threat on passing downs - the difference between him and takk is athleticism and violence both of which takk is far superior in - Mathis will never dominate whereas takk's ceiling is a dominant guy

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

Don't get me wrong I like Joe Mathis but he's a day 3 guy if ever I saw one - he's a guy who I think can maybe earn snaps setting the edge early in his career but who'll need a lot of work to become a consistent threat on passing downs - the difference between him and takk is athleticism and violence both of which takk is far superior in - Mathis will never dominate whereas takk's ceiling is a dominant guy

Takk being more athletic is extremely obvious.

There is no comparison in terms of who has more skills as a pass rusher. It's Mathis. He wins the edge with technique, with great bend and because he can actually win with his hands and win inside.

If Takk learns what Joe already knows in that regard he will be unstoppable. He has a ways to go to however..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jboy19 said:

I love Bolles. Best Run Blocker in this class by far. No other lineman in this draft has his instincts, ability to get to the second level, or his edge. Not an Anderson guy though. Still + from me though. 

Agree. If Bolles grows into his frame like Lane Johnson did he will be a perennial pro bowler. Most athletic tackle since Ogden. The dude is fluid and fluid. He can bend like a smaller player. With his explosion and athleticism he always initiates contact. Most surprising thing about his play is the movement he gets in run game for a player under 300 lbs. He has the frame to add weight.

And scouts project him to once he gets to his NFL team. When he bulks up to the size of a prototypical tackle he will be a monster. If Bolles were 22 yrs old and played his college career in D1 school that partially bulked him up closer to a normal 305-310 he would be drafted after Garrett overall.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Edgar said:

Takk being more athletic is extremely obvious.

There is no comparison in terms of who has more skills as a pass rusher. It's Mathis. He wins the edge with technique, with great bend and because he can actually win with his hands and win inside.

If Takk learns what Joe already knows in that regard he will be unstoppable. He has a ways to go to however..

I don't see a great bend and particularly good hands with Mathis at all - he has ok technique with how he uses his upper body strength and some decent quickness but I don't see him as a better edge rusher than takk even at this point

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now