BR News

[News] Eisenberg: People Seem Completely Unaware Of How Much Change Ravens Have Undergone

61 posts in this topic

After missing the playoffs in three of the last four years, it’s understandable why outsiders are skeptical of success in 2017. But what is being overlooked is the Ravens have almost completely moved on from their underperforming squads.

View the full article

Sorry John but I do not see it as of YET. We still have major pieces missing especially on the offense. Harbaugh's constant rah rah gets old truefullyBUT what do you expect him to say??? My problem is that I am starting to believe that HE believes what he is saying and not clearly seeing the teams shortfall. Perhaps he should listen more to the fans ....

Ravens have a great start

Stanley and Lewis could be book end tackles for years.
Strong up the defensive middle in Williams (DT), Mosley (ILB) and Jefferson (SS).
Speed at WR in Perriman and Wallace.
Depth at TE and RB

What they need from this draft are play makers. Whether it be at Wr, RB, TE, Pass rusher, CB, S.

If they avoid the temptation to follow analytics and 'value' , trust their scouts and select BPA, one of those playmaking positions will be there at #16 and possibly #47.

In 2011 they got J Smith and T Smith. Torrey allowed Bolding to play one on one. J. Smith covered the big receivers. Huge role in championship run.

I was in Vegas last week and saw the odds at 43 to1 for the SuperBowl. Yes, I put $300 on them as I feel it could be a sure bet. We are close, now lets seal the deal!

What do you expect the coach to say? I think they might have a deal in place with Anquan Boldin. He won't fix all the problems, but as far as offense goes his "big pressure moment" chemistry with Joe should go a long way. Outside of that we absolutely need impact players at pass rusher and multiple at offensive line in this draft.
There are a couple of scenarios where we could get one of Williams, Davis or Ross in round 1 and still fill the pass rush and O-line holes later on, but it is a gamble. I wouldn't be disappointed with taking the sure fire pass rusher in round 1. We then need to find two "Alex Lewis types" later in the draft.

Ravens have many holes to fill; have been less than successful on the road; have failed to defend the house. Yes, the Ravens are "new and improved" but are they better than 8-8? Time will tell.

I was in Vegas last week and saw the odds at 43 to1 for the SuperBowl. Yes, I put $300 on them as I feel it could be a sure bet. We are close, now lets seal the deal!

43-1 odds tells me the Vegas bookmakers are feeling 7-9 for the Ravens.

They are still "WAY" behind the Steelers. The offense hasn't changed. Play calling will be the same people, so that's at least 4 losses. WR's are poor, TE's are poor, the OL is "WHO EVER SHOWS UP PLAYS" ???? QB plays like his knee is still bad and his throws are way off!!
The "D" might be better but there isn't a Ray Lewis or Ed Reed to make them play like the are a top 5 "D" in the 4th quarter.
We still have years to wait .

it all comes down to the draft we need 4 starters out of this draft class or we will not make the playoffs and we will have a new coach

if we end up with a new coach than i hope we end up with a new gm as well. years of bad picks, bad luck, bad contracts and bad personnel moves have taken a toll but i hope things are turning around for the better. last years draft seems like it was solid and hopefully kc and kaufusi make that draft class solid by contributing this season

12 minutes ago, Chuckx999 said:

They are still "WAY" behind the Steelers. The offense hasn't changed. Play calling will be the same people, so that's at least 4 losses. WR's are poor, TE's are poor, the OL is "WHO EVER SHOWS UP PLAYS" ???? QB plays like his knee is still bad and his throws are way off!!
The "D" might be better but there isn't a Ray Lewis or Ed Reed to make them play like the are a top 5 "D" in the 4th quarter.

You know nothing Jon Snow. lol

Sorry John but I do not see it as of YET. We still have major pieces missing especially on the offense. Harbaugh's constant rah rah gets old truefullyBUT what do you expect him to say??? My problem is that I am starting to believe that HE believes what he is saying and not clearly seeing the teams shortfall. Perhaps he should listen more to the fans ....

So if your kid is failing at something you're not going to excite him/her to chase success and greatness? Your logic makes no sense, I'm sorry. I appreciate someone looking at the bright side like harbs do because we would fall into a pit of doom if you were our coach. We were a play away from making the playoffs. One stop! I say we're on the right path to put us back in the SB convo. Yes we have holes and place we need to fill but this isn't baseball. We have a cap which is limited. The best teams seams to never have money. Why? They try to lock up home grown players and not wildly spend. Those guys fought their hearts out for John. He hasn't lost the locker room and everyone is still confident. Why cause issues when their is none? We just need to put ourselves in a better position to win games. If that's call plays effectively, coaching or drafting. Flacco can't throw more than 35 passes. Run the ball! Lots of play action. Def need to be scrappy and physical within the rules. Get greedy. Hit everything thats moving. Send a message on every tackle. Defense need to have that cocky identity which is what ed and ray brought. Know your opponent. We start thinking like Ravens again we'll be fine.

So many changes... I'm excited about this coming season. Our defense looks really good.

Our offense still needs to plug up some holes, and we all know that's been a weakness before.

I am starving for Football.... Let's get this season going.

So many changes... I'm excited about this coming season. Our defense looks really good.

Our offense still needs to plug up some holes, and we all know that's been a weakness before.

I am starving for Football.... Let's get this season going.

Ya. I'm excited too. But this time, I'm not setting expectations. I'm just going to enjoy it and hope for the best.

I think Harbs is right. I think we are close to being a top team again. And I do appreciate that they are trying to get better. Just takes time to turn a big ship around.

I'm a little concerned! Terrible record for the past 3 out of 4 years, They say we want to run the ball, but are missing 2 starting lineman..................We really need to ace this draft or it will be long heart breaking season and I'm not ready for another bad season!!!!!!!!!!

Why are the Ravens more optimistic than others about their 2017 prospects? John I suppose that is because they can ill afford pessimism with regard to their chances in 2017. I can't think of one team of the 32 that isn't optimistic about a season that is yet to begin. But, one should understand that the same degree of optimism existed prior to the last couple of seasons as well. Optimism doesn't win games, but good coaching, good health and good play surely do. Here's to hoping our optimism is truly justified and we do make it to the SB.

This article is misleading. It's insinuating that since the team has stripped away most of the starting players we had during our 2015 season, that somehow it will equate to us having a shot at a championship this season, and that pundits are wrong for overlooking us this season.. Seriously Mink?

We are overlooked right now for GOOD REASON. Nobody deserves to get credit unless credit is due. This team has been consistently going downhill since our 2012 SB season. You can rearrange, shuffle, cut & resign players all day, that does nothing but mess up a locker room. Years ago, when we cut, traded or released a player it was either because he was not valuable, or THERE WAS A CLEAR BACK UP GUY that was READY TO PERFORM. Hence, Jarret Johnson, Bart Scott, Osemele, etc. Under harbaugh, this team cuts starting players with NO CLUE of who can fill the shoes.

This article is misleading. It's insinuating that since the team has stripped away most of the starting players we had during our 2015 season, that somehow it will equate to us having a shot at a championship this season, and that pundits are wrong for overlooking us this season.. Seriously Mink?

We are overlooked right now for GOOD REASON. Nobody deserves to get credit unless credit is due. This team has been consistently going downhill since our 2012 SB season. You can rearrange, shuffle, cut & resign players all day, that does nothing but mess up a locker room. Years ago, when we cut, traded or released a player it was either because he was not valuable, or THERE WAS A CLEAR BACK UP GUY that was READY TO PERFORM. Hence, Jarret Johnson, Bart Scott, Osemele, etc. Under harbaugh, this team cuts starting players with NO CLUE of who can fill the shoes.

I guess it is hard for people to grasp who does what job in the Ravens hierarchy. I guess I can envision twenty or thirty interviews where Ozzie clearly states that he gets input from everyone, including Harbaugh but ultimately, all decision reside with him. The Ravens failure under Harbaugh has more to do with how we draft and the players that Harbaugh has, than from the coach drafting, kicking out or signing players. Ever since the "revolt" of 2012, people have been on this Harbaugh kick out "type A" players kick, which Steve Smith Sr has proven is just garbage. (Not to mention Harbaughs wanting to reacquire Boldin, which he would not do if he had a problem with him.)

An article on this site a week or so ago really states my point where Eisenberg did an interview with Eric DeCosta and Eric was clear in the explanation that just 5 years ago, the Ravens could count on getting great players late in the draft, because other teams were just bad at drafting players. Routinely, DeCosta stated, that at the end of their draft, several of their top 100 players hadn't even been drafted, BUT, here recently, as teams have improved their drafting abilities, no longer are there great players overlooked late in the draft, they are all gone. It is clear, with that explanation, as to just why the Ravens and their drafts have been less than stellar as compared to Ozzie's drafts earlier in the Ravens existence. Its not that the Ravens have gotten bad at the draft or that Harbaugh just wants robots, it is that the other teams have gotten better, putting pressure on the Ravens to find new ways to get better than everyone else. I believe Ozzie has determined recently that 12 draft picks don't do you any good if 8 of those you have to cut so Ozzie has concentrated more on free agents and moving in the draft to get players and not picks.

I will never convince the Harbaugh naysayers who are banging the drum of getting rid of him that their arguments don't hold water and are just based on personal bias, but they will continue to follow their hearts instead of their heads. If someone believes the world is flat, you just have to shake your head and laugh.

I think this upcoming draft will prove my point even more.

Sure they made a lot of changes - unfortunately too many key ones were not of their choosing, e.g. KO/R Wagner, et al!!!
And still, the key change necessary is: can/will Flacco play to the level of 2012 or 2014!!! A repeat of last year's performance will make 8-8 look pretty good.

Ravens have a great start

Stanley and Lewis could be book end tackles for years.
Strong up the defensive middle in Williams (DT), Mosley (ILB) and Jefferson (SS).
Speed at WR in Perriman and Wallace.
Depth at TE and RB

What they need from this draft are play makers. Whether it be at Wr, RB, TE, Pass rusher, CB, S.

If they avoid the temptation to follow analytics and 'value' , trust their scouts and select BPA, one of those playmaking positions will be there at #16 and possibly #47.

In 2011 they got J Smith and T Smith. Torrey allowed Bolding to play one on one. J. Smith covered the big receivers. Huge role in championship run.

I think we should probably pump the brakes a bit on the bookend tackles. It was there Rookie years and they had some growing pains but towards the end Stanley was impressive. Lewis on the other hand not so much. When he did play tackle he was overwhelmed and didn't fair to much better at guard, but he was in and out of the lineup because of injury and its tough when you can't get into a rhythm. That said projecting him to play RT for years to come based on last season is probably a bit overly optimistic at this point. It is very possible that he never plays tackle and stays at guard.

I know it was two years ago but the we had a pretty good season that year. And yes it has been two years since we have made it to the play offs which as Ravens fans we aren't used to but the whole selective memory thing is getting a bit old.

1 hour ago, fusuymada said:

I guess it is hard for people to grasp who does what job in the Ravens hierarchy. I guess I can envision twenty or thirty interviews where Ozzie clearly states that he gets input from everyone, including Harbaugh but ultimately, all decision reside with him. The Ravens failure under Harbaugh has more to do with how we draft and the players that Harbaugh has, than from the coach drafting, kicking out or signing players. Ever since the "revolt" of 2012, people have been on this Harbaugh kick out "type A" players kick, which Steve Smith Sr has proven is just garbage. (Not to mention Harbaughs wanting to reacquire Boldin, which he would not do if he had a problem with him.)

An article on this site a week or so ago really states my point where Eisenberg did an interview with Eric DeCosta and Eric was clear in the explanation that just 5 years ago, the Ravens could count on getting great players late in the draft, because other teams were just bad at drafting players. Routinely, DeCosta stated, that at the end of their draft, several of their top 100 players hadn't even been drafted, BUT, here recently, as teams have improved their drafting abilities, no longer are there great players overlooked late in the draft, they are all gone. It is clear, with that explanation, as to just why the Ravens and their drafts have been less than stellar as compared to Ozzie's drafts earlier in the Ravens existence. Its not that the Ravens have gotten bad at the draft or that Harbaugh just wants robots, it is that the other teams have gotten better, putting pressure on the Ravens to find new ways to get better than everyone else. I believe Ozzie has determined recently that 12 draft picks don't do you any good if 8 of those you have to cut so Ozzie has concentrated more on free agents and moving in the draft to get players and not picks.

I will never convince the Harbaugh naysayers who are banging the drum of getting rid of him that their arguments don't hold water and are just based on personal bias, but they will continue to follow their hearts instead of their heads. If someone believes the world is flat, you just have to shake your head and laugh.

I think this upcoming draft will prove my point even more.

Well said and im in agreement with you.  I think we saw a bit of a change in Oz and Co. philosophy, yet the funny thing is that all the haters still find a way to complain about who we decide to sign.  People really complaining that we bring back Webb as depth?  Or that we have signed two of the top ranked safeties two years in a row? Or signed a CB that may not be a shutdown corner (because those are just chilling in FA ) but is a reliable #2? 

I think a lot of people compare our drafted players too much to our greats of the past, I mean, anytime we start discussing draft picks, someone (usually a negative ned) always brings up how we don't have any Ray Lewis' or Ed Reeds on this roster. I am not saying im content with where we stand, but we are making moves that have gotten me pretty excited for this year.  We have a lot of young players from last year and the year before that could really change the make up of our team and we have a draft that's loaded with talent this year.  I think OZ and Co. will shut up a lot of fans with this draft coming up, or at least I hope. 

"But what is being overlooked is the Ravens have almost completely moved on from their underperforming squads".
When you say, "underperforming", you mean the entire team, as well as the coaches, etc., correct?
Those "same people" are probably many of the ones who think Dunkin Joenuts is a better than average QB, which continue to take up for him and make excuses. We'll see. No...actually I will see, while many of you space out in your rose colored glasses. Its all good though because I will not be let down, however.....

years to wait? LOL, you are trippin Chucky Boy!!

The Ravens have an incredible talented sophomore class returning. Its really possibly falling on their shoulders this year.

We have to figure that Suggs, Woodhead, Smith, Pitta, Webb, Yanda and even- the guy who was left completely out of the article -Wallace ( remember #1 yds. rec leader)- might not make it for the complete 16 games. This will inevitably put multiple sophomores into motion.

Sure I think that the team looks pretty good, however we are talking about going up against the best in the NFL if this young team can pull off a playoff run.

So development, player leadership (aka Flacco), coaching, play calling and execution is what will push this team over the top in my opinion. John needs to develop his staff, leaders, the play book and his players; that will be a lot to accomplish with such big squad changes.

Maybe he is up for it, but his will be an entire franchise effort for sure!

John your point is well stated, but an "8 and 8" record is a collar around the Ravens' neck going into this fall 2017 season. How will the Ravens break their pattern of 8-8 level of football? The answer starts at the top with wholesale changes. If you coach the same, you get the same results on the field, no matter who is on the field.

Harbaugh is just not tough enough on his coaching staff, to many cronies. Hopefully Steve B will man up and fire harbaugh if we go 8-8 again, that's the only way we get back to championship football. John Harbaugh should have fired Morningweg after he admitted that it was the worst play call ever and called the same thing the following week geez...But it is what it is so lets move on to the DRAFT...