RaineV1

Who have you cooled on as we got closer to the draft?

22 posts in this topic

It's common for people to get hyped for a prospect in the early parts of the draft season and then lose interest in them the more they see them. Who did you really like earlier on and now just aren't really a fan of?

For me, I guess it would be Charles Harris. Initially I wanted him for in the first round, but now I think I'd take Derek Rivers or Jordan Willis over him in the second round. I still think Harris could be decent as the complementary edge rusher but I just don't see him as the instant big impact guy that I initially did. His lack of bend worries me and how easily he can be taken out of the play if the tackle actually gets ahold of him.

Edited by RaineV1
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the first round goes I don't think I've cooled on anyone. The guys I liked at the start of the process are pretty much the same guys I like now - and pretty much the same for the players I didn't like.

Some later guys though:

Eddie Jackson - every early mock, whether published or not, had Jackson going to us, thought the guy was going to be the biggest steal ever when the process started. I still like him and all, but that praise was obviously lofty to say the least and I don't see much of a scenario in which we take him.

Ejuan Price - much the same as Jackson, thought he be a huge steal as a situational pass rusher and wanted him bad, now I'm not pushing him hard at all. I still want him and I think he'll be a great pass rusher, though.

Pretty much every center - though I wasn't a big fan of the class to start with. Elflein is still my #1 in the class, but it's a pretty lukewarm class to say the least.

that's just off the top of my head, I may edit more in when it's not 3am... 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dalvin Cook. I like him but not as much. I don't think he is a big upgrade over Dixon.  On a side note many don't realize how great Dixon could be. The runner the Cowboys took was thought by scouts to be the better player. Almost as shifty as Dixon but a bigger tougher runner. When in fact Dixon has proven to be a tougher stronger runner with all his elusiveness. When the offensive line wasn't playing well. Dixon is bigger than many think at nearly 220. He was breaking a lot of tackles when the offensive line wasn't playing to well

Back on topic. Dalvin wasn't my favorite pick. But I was on board with it if ravens drafted him at No.16. As much as I bash Barnett. I tried talking myself into liking him. Because of his intensity and love for the game. As well as his pride. If only he got a little better jump off the line and accelerated off blocks with more burst. But I wasn't ever quite convinced he should be the pick like Cook

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marshon Lattimore. I was the first one here to name him the best CB in the draft, and still think on the field he's elite, but with his harmstring issues I wouldn't want him here, and yes even at pick 16.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I've cooled on Harris as well. 

Also I've cooled on tj watt due to the injuries

You cooled on Watt??  If he is injury free would you be as hot? Harris I'm lukewarm to like Barnett. He may be a very good edge rusher in a 3-4 but I would never want him round1. Round 1 I like Tim Williams and maybe Carl Lawson. Williams is the best speed rushing edge bender. Everything else can be learned. He has skills that can't be taught. He is the closest thing to Vic Beasley Von Miller in the draft. It may sound like I totally dislike Barnett/Harris. But really it is I wouldn't want Barnett/Harris with Williams left on the board.

Edited by PurpleHorseman
-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jacquouille said:

Marshon Lattimore. I was the first one here to name him the best CB in the draft, and still think on the field he's elite, but with his harmstring issues I wouldn't want him here, and yes even at pick 16.

Remember at the beginning of the process you were the conductor on his hype train in the DB thread?🤣 

I always had Sid Jones 1 before his injury, now I have no clue who will be the best rookie CB in this class. Daring guess, Kevin King or Gareon Conley ? 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

You cooled on Watt??  If he is injury free would you be as hot? Harris I'm lukewarm to like Barnett. He may be a very good edge rusher in a 3-4 but I would never want him round1. Round 1 I like Tim Williams and maybe Carl Lawson. Williams is the best speed rushing edge bender. Everything else can be learned. He has skills that can't be taught. He is the closest thing to Vic Beasley Von Miller in the draft. It may sound like I totally dislike Barnett/Harris. But really it is I wouldn't want Barnett/Harris with Williams left on the board.

I would want watt at 16 if he was injury free, I've made it well known that I'm a watt fan. 

But ive also made it known that I'm a Tim williams fan. I actually only like Barnett slightly more than williams, but I think williams is gonna be a menace and his run defense is a lot better than given credit for. TBH I wouldn't bat an eye if we took williams at 16

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I would want watt at 16 if he was injury free, I've made it well known that I'm a watt fan. 

But ive also made it known that I'm a Tim williams fan. I actually only like Barnett slightly more than williams, but I think williams is gonna be a menace and his run defense is a lot better than given credit for. TBH I wouldn't bat an eye if we took williams at 16

I think its certainly possible Williams falls to the 2nd. Ideally Davis or Williams falls to us at 16 and then we'd trade up with one of our thirds and a future pick to get Williams if he's still there in the 2nd. Then we grab the best remaining corner with our last third. Use 4 and 6 to beef up the O line and take a RB with our 5.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

Remember at the beginning of the process you were the conductor on his hype train in the DB thread?🤣 

I always had Sid Jones 1 before his injury, now I have no clue who will be the best rookie CB in this class. Daring guess, Kevin King or Gareon Conley ? 

 

Yeah and then Jeremiah put him at 2 in his big board, so everyone kinda went to his tape and came back sold.

Conley all day, he has instincts that I love and feels the game so well. Apart from his poor tackling and a horrible game vs Michigan (he still shows the willingness so he'll improve) he's near flawless. King was my sleeper during the process but he lacks some scheme versatility and some mental processing right now. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Jacquouille said:

Yeah and then Jeremiah put him at 2 in his big board, so everyone kinda went to his tape and came back sold.

Conley all day, he has instincts that I love and feels the game so well. Apart from his poor tackling and a horrible game vs Michigan (he still shows the willingness so he'll improve) he's near flawless. King was my sleeper during the process but he lacks some scheme versatility and some mental processing right now. 

Agreed. I have warned up to the idea of Conley at 16. It's only his lack of aggression and tackling that I knock him for. Besides that he doesn't have too many other flaws. 

Lattimore is so gifted but after getting injured at the combine it just seems like an omen of what is it come and with already having a player like that in Jimmy, we cannot afford to first round corners who barely can suit up 14/16 games a season.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

Remember at the beginning of the process you were the conductor on his hype train in the DB thread?🤣 

I always had Sid Jones 1 before his injury, now I have no clue who will be the best rookie CB in this class. Daring guess, Kevin King or Gareon Conley ? 

 

id go conley over king - king looks like a guy who will be a great system guy, especially as a number 2 with safety help but i dont see him becoming a shutdown guy and i think he will be overdrafted - not that i dont like him but i think he's more developmental than his eventual draft position would lead any of us to believe

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ethan Pocic has token a tumble to me. Its not being fair but I want a center that can get lower leverage.

Mike Williams a little bit cuz the lack of separation bothers me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread idea that needs a bump. And let's add to it. Not only players cooled on but players warmed up to. Players you changed your opinion on as it gets closer to D Day. I know as everybody watches more tape analysis of players move.

The players I have cooled and heated up to I believe some here will agree on.

Forrest Lamp.He was really hyped up around combine time. And many bought in. But when I watched the complete game against Bama I wasn't impressed. Don't get me wrong he is going to be a good player in the NFL. But the Zack Martin comparisons are totally ridiculous.

On contrary I heated up to Garrett Bolles. He is more athletic and holds blocks better. And is only scratching the surface of his potential. When he fills out to a normal 305-310 lb Tackle he is going to be a monster. He surprisingly gets movement in run game at under 300lbs and rarely is pushed back. This dude moves and bends like a far smaller player can bend. Freakishly athletic for 6'5 1/2.  If he were 23 and played D1 every year of his college career he would be closer to his ideal prototypical 310 lbs. and he would by far be the consensus NO.2 pick in draft behind only Garrett. If we took him at 16 I would be fine with it. He is 24 but will play 10 yrs at left tackle. He is one of those players that can lose a step and yet be more than athletic enough to play at an elite level.

Edited by PurpleHorseman
-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive cooled on all the CBs.

Early on i thought for sure we'd be taking CB round 1 and wouldve been happy with any of Lattimore, Sidney Jones, Humphrey, or Wilson.

Now i probably wouldnt be ecstatic if we took Lattimore.... depending on who else is available.

 

Ive heated up on taking a WR at 16. At first I thought id only do it if several CBs, Barnett, Tim Williams and Charles Harris were off the board.

Now, the only guy id take over Williams in that group is Barnett.... and ive opened up to taking Corey Davis.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also cooled a bit on Harris like many others, but still like him.   I have heated up tremendously on Haason Reddick and Forrest Lamp just over the past couple weeks.

Edited by RavensFanMania
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RavensFanMania said:

Funny, I like him a lot more now.

I think its more because ive been watching other guys lately. I watched enough of his tape a long time ago lol

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Ive cooled on Takk Mckinley. I used to be crazy about him 

I've gone the other way as well lol - I'm as high as I've ever been on McKinley at the moment (but I recently watched his film) - he's still not in my top tier guys but he's above a load of other guys on my board who I consider top possibilities at 16

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now