IceUpSon89

Players changing positions

10 posts in this topic

Last year, Baltimore had a need at safety. Webb was getting too slow for a CB so he switched and held his own. This year, they have a need at WR and FB. The obvious one is have Waller go back to being a WR but in my opinion, his position title doesn't really matter. He isn't strong enough to warrant a safety or linebacker so I expect CBs to line up against him for a while. He's also one of our best gunners so I don't expect him to go anywhere. The 3 guys I wanna talk about it Allen, Taliafero, and Boyle. Allen and Taliafero are both 6ft 220+ pounds. If Allen slimmed down, he could switch to WR and if taliafero bulked up, he could go FB. I also think Boyle could be a serviceable FB. I'm just looking places for guys that didn't see the field often. We spent picks on these guys so we're invested. I think we should try everything possible to get as much out of them as we can. Anyone else you could imagine changing positions?

I think Boyle is being considered for juices old role, he fits the bill perfectly as a hard nosed road grader and good route runner who can catch. He may actually be an improvement. 

Allen would need a lot of coaching for that change, he wouldn't need to slim down much because it would take away from his powerful style, but it's an interesting concept, just a long shot. Wouldn't be against the experiment

I'd like to see Waller go back to WR, at least for some random looks.  I think he could really shine if used properly. 

On the oline I'd rather see Yanda move to RT than Lewis if need to be. Taliaferro to FB is also interesting and I believe our best candidate since I sure as heck don't want to draft one and Waller to WR since we have no redzone targets out there and I can see mismatches.

I'd like to keep Waller in the 6'6 240 range. I think he's a little heavier than that right now, but his versatility is probably best preserved at 240. I don't think he has a true position, but I like him as a a matchup disaster, whether it's killing LBs in the seams or mossing guys outside the hashes. Unfortunately, he hasn't proven yet to be able to moss guys regularly.

Fullback is interesting to me. Lorenzo Taliaferro is the closest fit we have to the modern fullback in the mold of Mike Tolbert. He's already an ample pass blocker, and if you get him to 240, I think he'll be able to handle blocking many (but maybe not most) linebackers, and he'll demolish safeties. One thing I like about Tali is that he's more mobile than Juice which will make him a better blocker in the open field, and frankly, that's what we need a fullback to be 2017. A guy who can just crack that last defender, be it a backer or a safety, to spring the play. Juice wasn't the most agile fella, and he wasn't the best open field blocker because of it.

Now, Boyle I think can fill that traditional fullback role, but he's definitely a bit too tall and, well, slow, to be a fullback. Being a good fullback is dependent on getting to the landmark before your assignment does. A slow fullback means a linebacker blowing up your back for a two yard loss. With his height, too, he'll have no leverage -- which is crucial in the trenches.

The thing is that linebackers are getting faster and oftentimes smaller. I don't have data to prove it, but empirically, that seems to be the trend. Going off of that, Tali is my pick for fullback. He's a true triple threat as a blocker, runner, or receiver, and Boyle isn't. He's also much more athletic, and as defenders are increasingly more athletic, you need an athletic fullback to keep up. I do not support Buck Allen at fullback. Way too gifted as a runner to be used as a blocker.

On the line, Yanda at RG or LG, period, sorry. I think Alex Lewis will be fine at RT if it comes down to it.

Edited by The Raven

Idk if Waller transitioning back to WR is necesarrily a good thing. He's been practicing to be a TE all year and even bulked up a bit for it. it's not as simple as a CB moving to Safety. I'm not comparing Waller to J.Graham but I think that should be his role. 60 percent second TE with little blocking duties or slot in short yard situations 40 percent. 

Boyle is an option at FB but I'm assuming we don't use a FB very often anyways. We're gonna have TEs in the backfield or 2 RBs instead of the old fashions I formation. I'd like to see Boyle try to make the move before he's just flat out cut.

LT is the opposite of Waller. He's been working hard to lose weight ever since he was drafted so moving him to FB would force him to add 20 or 30 pounds that he worked so hard to lose. I also don't know if he ever was great blocker in the first place. Idk let's see how the offseason plays out.

allen is a RB and shouldn't even attempt to play FB or WR. If I had to put money on it, I think he's the first to get released of the previous 4 mentioned.

the guy I'd like to to see play out of position the most is Woodhead, I don't want him to be a WR but I'd hope he plays a loooooot of slot. We could line up with 2rbs and just move him around to make pre snap reads easy for Joe and always give Joe a hot route instead of just dumping it off for a 3 yard gain. 

On April 16, 2017 at 1:53 AM, Tank 92 said:

I'd like to see Waller go back to WR, at least for some random looks.  I think he could really shine if used properly. 

I think Waller could be a better version of Pitta if he gets his head in the right place. He needs to earn Flaccos trust and find the holes in zone coverages. not necesarrily a full time WR but Pitta isn't a full time TE either lol

I just don't know about a 6'4 FB if nick Boyle does make that change. Wonder if height factors much in that role or not 

9 minutes ago, Davesta said:

I just don't know about a 6'4 FB if nick Boyle does make that change. Wonder if height factors much in that role or not 

I think blocking as a full back is less of blocking like a lineman and more angles and reading where your plays are going and their defensive pieces are going.

Yeah as that is what the FB is known for. That of blocking so that the RB can run in between the holes.