OLD SCHOOL SMASH BALL

What Is Your Top Criteria For A Draft Pick?

44 posts in this topic

Obviously this answer may vary depending on position, so to clarify, lets go Position, then Top Criteria this position player must posess in your opinion.

I am going to go first, I will say if we go Inside linebacker, my top criteria would be HEART, Speed, and instincts. 

I have seen a lot of tall athletic linebackers over the years, that had the height, athleticizm, and the look, but lacked the heart to dominate.

Undersized backers like our own Ray Ray, even Derek Brooks, that had heart and desire, which trumped everything else. 

9 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Better yet. A collection of cells that forms a coherent human being

continuation-

that's not named matt elam.

56 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

continuation-

Matt Elam is not eligible for the draft.

As are players with out a pulse.

Edited by K-Dog

28 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Matt Elam is not eligible for the draft.

As are players with out a pulse.

:P

2 hours ago, SepticeyePoe said:

alpha males with that fast twitch muscle 

everyone else is a guaranteed bust

After their first NFL game. 

4 hours ago, Sami84 said:

continuation-

Going by Elam's Twitter feed I think he was already ruled out by LiT's criteria.

Edited by Inqui

33 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

After their first NFL game. 

But I'll give my favorite prospect 6 weeks.

Serious answer. In general, talent would be the number one thing that I look for. If you don't have at least some talent, then I wouldn't want to draft that player. After that, I would want someone passionate for football and some intelligence, because talent doesn't mean anything if you're not on the field. 

Players with a high roof. The traits and work ethic to be great. Players should Love to play the game and want to be great. Scratch and claw their way to be the best. As well as hatred of losing. players that are the biggest sore losers in all of pro sports are ideal

First round:- I usually like a player with the highest floor. I don't need him to make a pro bowl but id like him to be a 4 year starter. Low risk, no off field stuff, no injury concerns.

second round:- Il take anyone that's a first round tslent that falls for any reason. Take some risk, even if you have to redshirt a guy thats virtually a first rounder next year.

third round:- I love me some small shook guys that could be first round talents but need a lot of developing. B.Williams comes to mind. Never draft of need! 

4-7:- BPA all the way. Theyr not all gonna pan out so take the ones with crazy attributes. Things that money can't buy. Speed, intangibles, size, strength. At least one trait that you can build on. The ones that don't pan out are a sunk cost for the ones that do I guess.

He has to be Mountain Dew.

No wait. Ice Tea.

What was the drink everyone was calling our players?

Decaf ?

He has to be some kind of drink.

A love of football and the nasty side of it. The work rate, a love of contact and hitting. That goes for all positions. 

And then a translatable skill set. 

19 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

A love of football and the nasty side of it. The work rate, a love of contact and hitting. That goes for all positions. 

And then a translatable skill set. 

He has to be a football player, and by that I mean he has to be tough, love the game, and want to improve every aspect of his game.  He should have the determination to be the best. 

A true football player who has a nasty look, can tear phone books in half with his bare hands and drools excessively would be ok by me.

3 hours ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

A true football player who has a nasty look, can tear phone books in half with his bare hands and drools excessively would be ok by me.

Phone book?

What is that?

;)

3 hours ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

Looooooool

you won the Internet and it's not even close 

1 hour ago, K-Dog said:

Phone book?

What is that?

;)

Lol, Isn't that the thing they keep delivering year in and year out that no one ever looks at. It's only good for tearing in half or fueling your pit fire.

5 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

Lol, Isn't that the thing they keep delivering year in and year out that no one ever looks at. It's only good for tearing in half or fueling your pit fire.

I pick mine up and drop it in the recycle bin.

7 minutes ago, Moderator 3 said:

Sounds like a plan. They do burn well though, better than starter logs and no creosote.

1 hour ago, Moderator 3 said:

Yup.  Doesn't even enter the house.  Straight from curb to bin. 

So other than the hackneyed, hopelessly cliche, and overused traits like heart and effort (gross), the general traits I look for in all positions are a craving for physicality, a fast burst off the line (10 yard split), and good technique. Here's why.

- Football is a violent game, and if you avoid contact, you're going to suck, no matter what position you play, whether you're in the trenches or on the outside.

- The game is won at the LOS -- at every position, arguably. The quicker and stronger you are off the snap, the better you are. Whether you're a center or a wide receiver, that 10 yard split is the best measure of game speed. How often do guys go further than ten yards? Other than WR/DB, it's infrequent, and if you are a WR/DB, those first ten yards make the difference on most plays.

- There's this idea that an NFL coach can take a raw but athletic freak and turn him into a HOFer. It's a myth. There's a reason guys like Julian Edelman dominate: they have good technique. If you do the little things right, you're gonna be in good shape. 

After that, my criteria gets a lot more specific.

On 4/16/2017 at 1:09 PM, Rav'n Maniac said:

I have a phone rolodex that is a whole 2 pages thick. Does that count?