Jonah DeVito

Who would you be most upset with at the 16th pick?

190 posts in this topic

So does anyone here think we'll break the LSU duck? Will we draft any LSU player this year? any round?

we must be the only team to have never drafted an LSU player.

Just now, Sami84 said:

So does anyone here think we'll break the LSU duck? Will we draft any LSU player this year? any round?

we must be the only team to have never drafted an LSU player.

I mean if White is there round two I could see it. I see Adams and Fournette gone before the Ravens pick. 

Just now, trevorsteadman said:

I mean if White is there round two I could see it. I see Adams and Fournette gone before the Ravens pick. 

Yeah, I was thinking perhaps the later rounds? 

They seem to have always produced better NFL talents. btw I think White is the best corner in this draft..and thats saying a lot because I know lattimore is legit but i really think white is the best all round corner.

as much as ozzie and co preach BPA, i cant see them taking forrest lamp or white, who IMO, are all pro's in the making and safer bets in their position than any likely pass rushers or wideouts that would be available at 16

24 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I think Fournette is going to go 2nd to the 9ers, no idea why but just a hunch

Just now, usmccharles said:

I think if they are smart they go Adams. By far more talented than Fournette. I know it is a position that would impact this team more day one if they got Fournette, but I really hope they pick the better player in Adams. They should know by now it will be a 2-3 year process to turn that team around.

5 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

i just cant see that - they have carlos hyde already there who has been phenomenal in spurts and they have so many needs at other positions that i cant see them passing over adams, thomas, allen, hooker for a running back even if it is fournette - i think the bears could be a darkhorse if they fall in love with him despite having jordan howard because it would help out mike glennon but i dont think fournette legitimately has a chance to go before jax unless a team trades up to get ahead of jax like the panthers or jets

42 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

Yeah, I was thinking perhaps the later rounds? 

They seem to have always produced better NFL talents. btw I think White is the best corner in this draft..and thats saying a lot because I know lattimore is legit but i really think white is the best all round corner.

I think white is certainly the safest corner. You rarely see a cb prospect that makes you believe he is fail safe and will almost certainly produce a solid NFL starter, and white is that guy.

12 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

i just cant see that - they have carlos hyde already there who has been phenomenal in spurts and they have so many needs at other positions that i cant see them passing over adams, thomas, allen, hooker for a running back even if it is fournette - i think the bears could be a darkhorse if they fall in love with him despite having jordan howard because it would help out mike glennon but i dont think fournette legitimately has a chance to go before jax unless a team trades up to get ahead of jax like the panthers or jets

Rumor is that they don't view Hyde as a long term piece though.  Injured too often.

19 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I think if they are smart they go Adams. By far more talented than Fournette. I know it is a position that would impact this team more day one if they got Fournette, but I really hope they pick the better player in Adams. They should know by now it will be a 2-3 year process to turn that team around.

12 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

Yea I agree they shouldn't go that route, but with the HC there, not to mention Hyde has never played a full season and will be a FA next year.  Just a hunch but definitely wouldn't be my pick with the type of defensive guys in this draft

32 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Rumor is that they don't view Hyde as a long term piece though.  Injured too often.

28 minutes ago, usmccharles said:

Yea I agree they shouldn't go that route, but with the HC there, not to mention Hyde has never played a full season and will be a FA next year.  Just a hunch but definitely wouldn't be my pick with the type of defensive guys in this draft

i mean if shanahan is confident that he can stop hyde from bouncing runs to the outside every snap then i dont think there's any way they get rid of him tbh - the reports of him being on the hot seat are ridiculous given the fact that shanahan hasn't even worked with him yet.. the injuries might be a problem but he also has star quality - it would seem stupid for such a talent poor team to try and fill a hole that's mostly full already

free agency next year is a compelling argument i suppose but i just think there's too much value at other positions of need for them to pass up - especially with the running back talent in next year's draft at the top

5 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

i mean if shanahan is confident that he can stop hyde from bouncing runs to the outside every snap then i dont think there's any way they get rid of him tbh - the reports of him being on the hot seat are ridiculous given the fact that shanahan hasn't even worked with him yet.. the injuries might be a problem but he also has star quality - it would seem stupid for such a talent poor team to try and fill a hole that's mostly full already

free agency next year is a compelling argument i suppose but i just think there's too much value at other positions of need for them to pass up - especially with the running back talent in next year's draft at the top

I agree with you in the sense that it wouldn't be who I would draft in their position. 

6 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

It's a completely new regime though.  GM and HC could want their own guys.  For what it's worth, I doubt they go Fournette, but it wouldn't shock me either.  Hyde certainly wouldn't stop me if Fournette is my guy.

7 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

I'll straight up call for Ozzie to be fired if we draft McDowell, especially with the flat earth stuff. Not impressed with him at all. But I honestly don't think we go dline early in spite of the worst trade we've ever made. My paitence is wearing thin with Ozzie because frankly, the Jernigan deal was THAT bad, but drafting McDowell would be the icing on the cake. He was not impressive imo.

I have to ask, what was so bad about the Jernigan deal?

8 hours ago, Somerset Ravens said:

I have to ask, what was so bad about the Jernigan deal?

We traded away a very good(albeit inconsistent) player for basically nothing, when we have plenty of cap space next year. It just wasn't worth it. That deal is terrible. And I would have picked Timmy over Brandon personally. 

1 hour ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

We traded away a very good(albeit inconsistent) player for basically nothing, when we have plenty of cap space next year. It just wasn't worth it. That deal is terrible. And I would have picked Timmy over Brandon personally. 

In theory I agree but a number of factors made Timmy expendable (even if I still don't think he should have been expended) including declining production, inconsistent play, demanding more work, Brandon Williams signing 

I likewise had always thought that we'd sign Timmy over Brandon but all of the above problems I think meant we could never commit to him like we could to Brandon - I'll never complain about a good player staying but I'm not going to pretend I like the amount of money we gave up

like some others here I probably would have preferred an extra pick but the value actually works out that the number of spots we moved up is equivalent to more than a 4th round pick so in terms of value we did well but my issue with it still is that it doesn't increase the number of picks we have in the draft

3 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

In theory I agree but a number of factors made Timmy expendable (even if I still don't think he should have been expended) including declining production, inconsistent play, demanding more work, Brandon Williams signing

Not to mention that Jerinigan seemed to attract some dumb penalties during the season, which did hurt the defense at times. I think that also played a role in Ozzie and company seeing him as expendable.

8 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

I think giving Timmy a big deal would've been a mistake, even if he was the best damn DT in the league in 2017, Timmy strikes me as the type who will be the most frustrating person on the team for 3 years and then ball out in his contract year for more money, showing he always had the ability but only put it together when he wanted to get paid. and that's not a guy I want on my team. And if he DOESNT ball out in his contract year, then he's truly unable to stay consistent. It's a lose-lose to sign Jernigan. 

And keeping him here is a one year rental, something I'm definitely not fond of. If we aren't going to be winning it all this year with Timmy playing a major role, and he won't be back the following year, then get some compensation for him. This is the kind of move that makes bellichick a genius, but when we do it for a completely average player who produces more penalty yardage than he does sack/TFL yardage it's horrible? I don't get it. 

I liked Jernigan personally, but im not vastly overrating him like so many are. Based on the reactions I'd say Jernigan just may have been the most overrated Ravens defender 

2 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I think giving Timmy a big deal would've been a mistake, even if he was the best damn DT in the league in 2017, Timmy strikes me as the type who will be the most frustrating person on the team for 3 years and then ball out in his contract year for more money, showing he always had the ability but only put it together when he wanted to get paid. and that's not a guy I want on my team. And if he DOESNT ball out in his contract year, then he's truly unable to stay consistent. It's a lose-lose to sign Jernigan. 

And keeping him here is a one year rental, something I'm definitely not fond of. If we aren't going to be winning it all this year with Timmy playing a major role, and he won't be back the following year, then get some compensation for him. This is the kind of move that makes bellichick a genius, but when we do it for a completely average player who produces more penalty yardage than he does sack/TFL yardage it's horrible? I don't get it. 

I liked Jernigan personally, but im not vastly overrating him like so many are. Based on the reactions I'd say Jernigan just may have been the most overrated Ravens defender 

He really was and to be honest I think a lot of us fell in love with his pass rushing ceililng rather than his actual production. He is very inconsistent. I think it is better for this team if they keep a guy who has solidified the Ravens running defense since Ngata rather than a guy who has struggled to stay on the field because of inconsistent production. The defense took a step back the day the Ravens traded him away in sack production, but in the long run it was the safer option and as of now the better option as of today. Next year we may be thinking otherwise.

The timmy trade- I'll judge it based on what we do in the draft and/or how willie henry/kaufusi/ pierce do.

If timmy balls out for the eagles and those 3 guys do jackall and our draft pick at 74 turns out to be a bum..

then yeah.

for now, i can live without jernigan..unless it was our scheme ( possible as i never saw him as a great fit for our d when we drafted him) we aint losing some transcendental player. Frankly, i'd have felt the same way about brandon williams who's not going to be anything more than what we have seen. He's not kelly gregg who used to be a lot more nimble as well as excellent in the run game. Gregg used to generate a lot of interior QB pressures. Williams does not..

On 4/15/2017 at 11:46 AM, Jonah DeVito said:

I've seen a lot of discussion about who everyone wants at 16, but not so much the other way around. In terms of players being commonly mocked to us, MWill, Barnett, McKinley, Ross, Davis, Reddick, Robinson, Lamp, etc, who would you be least excited for if we took them in the 1st?

I know this is just filler material post and no pick is going to satisfy all fans but whoever the Ravens draft at 16 will be an organizational pick. If there are multiple options Ozzie will still submit a name that, in the organizations opinion, most benefits the team. Second-guess them all you like but even Myles Garrett is not a sure thing.

24 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

The timmy trade- I'll judge it based on what we do in the draft and/or how willie henry/kaufusi/ pierce do.

If timmy balls out for the eagles and those 3 guys do jackall and our draft pick at 74 turns out to be a bum..

then yeah.

for now, i can live without jernigan..unless it was our scheme ( possible as i never saw him as a great fit for our d when we drafted him) we aint losing some transcendental player. Frankly, i'd have felt the same way about brandon williams who's not going to be anything more than what we have seen. He's not kelly gregg who used to be a lot more nimble as well as excellent in the run game. Gregg used to generate a lot of interior QB pressures. Williams does not..

See, thats fine for a fan to do... but thats not what the people making personnel decisions get to do.

You have to judge it purely on what youve seen from Jernigan, what you expected of him and your team this season, whether you expected to resign him, and what you got in compensation... purely that and not what the pick turns into.

There are so many variables. Jernigan may ball out for the Eagles, but it could be due to playing next to Fletcher Cox in an aggressive one gap, pressure scheme. That doesnt mean he would have played any better here had we kept him.

And we could draft an absolute stud in terms of talent at 74 that def wouldnt have been available at 99, but then he breaks both his legs in a freak accident and never gets to play. Doesnt mean it was the bad pick to make at the time.

Waiting for the end result to judge is all well and good for a fan to do.... but it has nothing to do with reality. Saying youre going to wait to decide is a cop out. 

Youre typically pretty harsh when you dont like something the team does. Well then, critique on an even playing field. Make your judgement when all you have is the same info they did. Start doing that, and we'll judge your track record. 

6 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

See, thats fine for a fan to do... but thats not what the people making personnel decisions get to do.

You have to judge it purely on what youve seen from Jernigan, what you expected of him and your team this season, whether you expected to resign him, and what you got in compensation... purely that and not what the pick turns into.

There are so many variables. Jernigan may ball out for the Eagles, but it could be due to playing next to Fletcher Cox in an aggressive one gap, pressure scheme. That doesnt mean he would have played any better here had we kept him.

And we could draft an absolute stud in terms of talent at 74 that def wouldnt have been available at 99, but then he breaks both his legs in a freak accident and never gets to play. Doesnt mean it was the bad pick to make at the time.

Waiting for the end result to judge is all well and good for a fan to do.... but it has nothing to do with reality. Saying youre going to wait to decide is a cop out. 

Youre typically pretty harsh when you dont like something the team does. Well then, critique on an even playing field. Make your judgement when all you have is the same info they did. Start doing that, and we'll judge your track record. 

Like i said, it's a balance. Based on what he's done, i'd have done the trade too IF i was going to use that 25 spot increase for a trade up in the 2nd round or for maneuvering around in general.

Also, i'd have done it if i felt that this was as good as i was getting with jernigian. No way i'd have given him a contract based on what hes done so far next year so it's better than nothing.

Overall though he did play decently in stretches. Like i said, this is like brandon williams..he doesnt make our team monumentally better or worse if he goes. We should be able to get production that can match what he did from our younger players if they are even half decent.

I'd have used the money we spent on williams on wagner and zeitler as a FA.

Edited by Sami84

2 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

Like i said, it's a balance. Based on what he's done, i'd have done the trade too IF i was going to use that 25 spot increase for a trade up in the 2nd round or for maneuvering around in general.

Also, i'd have done it if i felt that this was as good as i was getting with jernigian. No way i'd have given him a contract based on what hes done so far next year so it's better than nothing.

Overall though he did play decently in stretches. Like i said, this is like brandon williams..he doesnt make our team monumentally better or worse. We should be able to get production that can match what he did from our younger players if they are even half decent

But thats the problem with the if's.... if youre going to critique the move you have to answer those if's for yourself, not wait until you have the answers.

In this draft i see that early 3rd round as a sweet spot where there will still be a bunch of highly rated prospects available that wont make it to the late 3rd. I also feel that Jernigan has shown who he was going to be in this defense. And I wouldnt have resigned him.

So im happy with the trade. I'll be upset if we draft a bum, and it will suck if Jernigan is killing it in Philly this year. But I also see their scheme as much better suited to his skill set, so it wont shock me and i wouldnt equate that to the idea that jernigan wouldve had the same success had we kept him for this year.

5 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

But thats the problem with the if's.... if youre going to critique the move you have to answer those if's for yourself, not wait until you have the answers.

In this draft i see that early 3rd round as a sweet spot where there will still be a bunch of highly rated prospects available that wont make it to the late 3rd. I also feel that Jernigan has shown who he was going to be in this defense. And I wouldnt have resigned him.

So im happy with the trade. I'll be upset if we draft a bum, and it will suck if Jernigan is killing it in Philly this year. But I also see their scheme as much better suited to his skill set, so it wont shock me and i wouldnt equate that to the idea that jernigan wouldve had the same success had we kept him for this year.

Like i said, I'm okay with the trade as i THINK what the ravens could get out of jernigian is what we have seen.

now as long as we don't draft

Taco Charlton

Jabrill Peppers

Charles Harris

Cam Robinson

We should be ok ;)

Edited by Sami84

22 hours ago, rmw10 said:

It's a completely new regime though.  GM and HC could want their own guys.  For what it's worth, I doubt they go Fournette, but it wouldn't shock me either.  Hyde certainly wouldn't stop me if Fournette is my guy.

Mike Shanahan wasn't one to draft a rb in the first round.  I'm assuming his son, Kyle, goes the same route and picks up a RB in one of the other rounds.   San Fran wants to trade out of round 2 and this is just hype to get the Jags or another team with high interest in Fournette trade up for him. 

Edited by RavensFanMania

I'd probably be most upset at taking Cam Robinson with the 16th pick, but feel he will probably end up being a good pick.  I'd love for them to take Forrest Lamp though.  

3 minutes ago, RavensFanMania said:

I'd probably be most upset at taking Cam Robinson with the 16th pick, but feel he will probably end up being a good pick.  I'd love for them to take Forrest Lamp though.  

for me of all the players i mentioned jabrill peppers is my matt elam/perriman ''please no'' pick. Think The ravens know this and will pick him just to piss me off? It's so odd that i singled out elam and perriman before the drafts as my please for the love of talent NO and yet they got picked :/

6 minutes ago, RavensFanMania said:

I love Lamp. I can't see the ravens picking him though..

I'd only like the cam robinson pick if it happened in the 2nd round.