Jonah DeVito

Who would you be most upset with at the 16th pick?

195 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of discussion about who everyone wants at 16, but not so much the other way around. In terms of players being commonly mocked to us, MWill, Barnett, McKinley, Ross, Davis, Reddick, Robinson, Lamp, etc, who would you be least excited for if we took them in the 1st?

Taco Charlton is my go-to for this. i think the first is way to high for a player that struggles to get off blocks. Just because the guy is athletic doesn't mean he can play EDGE, I hear people constantly putting him at EDGE based on his size and athleticism, but when has he shown the ability to play standing up? A front 7 player that can't get off blocks and doesn't have many pass rush moves is the kiss of death. I'm not touching him with a 10 foot pole in the first.

Anyone O-linemen just think we can get better value later in the draft. Really the only prospects that I would really like at 16 are M. Willams, Davis and Barnett. Which means none will be there. 😩

1 minute ago, ALI624 said:

Anyone O-linemen just think we can get better value later in the draft. Really the only prospects that I would really like at 16 are M. Willams, Davis and Barnett. Which means none will be there. 😩

I'll disagree here..im certain one of those 3 will be there at 16

Derek Barnett. Could be a solid player. But he doesn't bring anything that threatens NFL tackles. And if we go defense it has to be a game changer. Many of sec players thought their numbers remain the same in NFL. Because it is the SEC. Only to learn the SEC isn't the NFL. Jonathan Allen and Derek Barnett are about to learn that themselves. As is who ever drafts.

43 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

Taco Charlton is my go-to for this. i think the first is way to high for a player that struggles to get off blocks. Just because the guy is athletic doesn't mean he can play EDGE, I hear people constantly putting him at EDGE based on his size and athleticism, but when has he shown the ability to play standing up? A front 7 player that can't get off blocks and doesn't have many pass rush moves is the kiss of death. I'm not touching him with a 10 foot pole in the first.

I can buy your argument bout whether he's a good standup player but its absolutely not fair to say Taco cant get off of blocks. He'd be a great pickup for a 4-3 team like the Lions. You want a player that cant get off blocks take a close look at Charles Harris. Good initial move but then gets stonewalled if it doesn't work and is horrible at setting the edge. Harris is my upset pick at 16 or even 47,74 or 78.

https://youtu.be/k9ZoN63ekR0

Any CB outside of Marshon Lattimore because Idk where they would play, even if Jimmy or someone gets hurt tavon or Webb can move to spots plus we also have Carr too so 

Edited by Ravenskid52752

32 minutes ago, jboy19 said:

Cam Robinson and John Ross by far. 

I'm with you on this. I'd be stunned if they took Ross. I think I'd extend Cam Robinson to really any O lineman - unless we trade back (which in and of itself will be a little disappointing). I'll thrown in O.J. Howard ... cause unless he turns out to be a true generational talent at his position, it would just sicken me to see us giving up on all the TEs we've invested in unless we're talking about an astronomical upgrade.

34 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Derek Barnett. Could be a solid player. But he doesn't bring anything that threatens NFL tackles. And if we go defense it has to be a game changer. Many of sec players thought their numbers remain the same in NFL. Because it is the SEC. Only to learn the SEC isn't the NFL. Jonathan Allen and Derek Barnett are about to learn that themselves. As is who ever drafts.

Huh ... I find Barnett to be an unexpected entry on this thread. I have to think that, if he's available, there is a strong likelihood that you will be upset by our selection. 

Derek Barnett is going to look like a kangaroo trying to get off blocks of NFL tackles. Everybody talks about this Cam Robinson tape. A coach in the NFL would have to be drunk to play Cam at Tackle as a rookie. After couple years of coaching then maybe Cam could play Tackle. Then you would see. Not often rookie tackles are ready to play. See Barnett vs Lael Collins. And that is what you are getting when he plays NFL.

1 hour ago, ALI624 said:

I agree ... I don't think there are any that are worthy of the #16 pick. I guess it could make sense to draft one of them if we traded back, but of course trading back has some level of disappointment, because the sense is that if we go that route, there were players we were hoping would fall to us that simply didn't. 

1 hour ago, Sami84 said:

I'll disagree here..im certain one of those 3 will be there at 16

M. Willams, Davis and Barnett - as ALI624 said are his hopefuls - are I think a very common group of guys that fans are hoping fall to us. I'm not as certain as you as to whether one will be there - but not as pessimistic as ALI624.

Honestly, I think it all comes down to the QBs. If everyone tries to act smart and say they aren't reaching for a QB in the top 15 of this draft (despite their obvious needs), I do think the odds are good that they will all be gone. If 1 team ahead of us goes QB, the chances are greatly improved and if 2 go QB, I think the odds are better than 50-50 that one of these 3 will be there. IMO, only 1 will be taken (Cleveland with pick #12), so to me it is kind of a coin toss as to who would be there for us and if I were to guess which of the 3 it would be, I'm guessing Davis. 

Then - the Ravens will take someone else, because they don't necessarily go with what is "conventional wisdom". 

23 minutes ago, Willbacker said:

I can buy your argument bout whether he's a good standup player but its absolutely not fair to say Taco cant get off of blocks. He'd be a great pickup for a 4-3 team like the Lions. You want a player that cant get off blocks take a close look at Charles Harris. Good initial move but then gets stonewalled if it doesn't work and is horrible at setting the edge. Harris is my upset pick at 16 or even 47,74 or 78.

https://youtu.be/k9ZoN63ekR0

I don't like Harris either, but everytime I watch Taco he's struggling to get off blocks

8 minutes ago, PurpleHorseman said:

Derek Barnett is going to look like a kangaroo trying to get off blocks of NFL tackles. Everybody talks about this Cam Robinson tape. A coach in the NFL would have to be drunk to play Cam at Tackle as a rookie. After couple years of coaching then maybe Cam could play Tackle. Then you would see. Not often rookie tackles are ready to play. See Barnett vs Lael Collins. And that is what you are getting when he plays NFL.

So your gonna judge his play against a senior tackle when he was a freshman!?really lol good one

Edited by Ravenskid52752

Just now, Ravenskid52752 said:

So your gonna judge his play against a senior tackle when he was a freshman!?really lol good one

don't waste your breathe. Kelly didn't blow up his pro day so now we're going to have to hear him push Collins non-stop, regardless f how ridiculous his praise is.

3 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I don't like Harris either, but everytime I watch Taco he's struggling to get off blocks

Did you watch the youtube link? You might get a different opinion. It was the bowl game they played against FSU. Also watched an Ohio St youtube and he looked solid. There was times he was soundly blocked but even then he was driving the guy back. I do think he is mainly a hands in the dirt and not a standup guy especially when I seen no coverage out of him at all except peeling off on a RB in the flat.

Just now, Willbacker said:

Did you watch the youtube link? You might get a different opinion. It was the bowl game they played against FSU. Also watched an Ohio St youtube and he looked solid. There was times he was soundly blocked but even then he was driving the guy back. I do think he is mainly a hands in the dirt and not a standup guy especially when I seen no coverage out of him at all except peeling off on a RB in the flat.

I've already watched his tape and what I've said is what I came away feeling about him. I don't think one game is indicative of a player being good or bad, every player has good games and bad games, same reason I think Thomas is super overrated as well. Pushing the lineman back is one thing, haven't criticized him for that, but when it's time to disengage and make the play I don't see him doing it.

John Ross- we don't need an injury prone WR no matter how fast. 

Ruben Foster- I just feel our FO has been successful finding gems with UDFA's to play ILB. We have a lot of other glaring holes. 

Any O linemen- our FO has been good at finding talent in later rounds. This year the o line class is not too strong IMO. I would like an O linemen in the 2nd or even 3rd round though. 

Any CB- CB draft class is crazy deep and can be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Plus lattimore who's a top CB according to analyst is sort of injury prone. 

I doubt it, but I'm still hoping there's a push and qb scare before us so some top talent falls.  

I'd be upset with John Ross, Taco, and prob Takk. 

But I could eventually get behind them once my initial shock wears off. 

Jabrill Peppers though.... I'd break my TV. 

5 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

you'd think with the matt elam debacle they wouldnt pick a guy like peppers but you never know this this FO..i'll agree that of all the bad picks possible he would top the list. I honestly wouldnt touch him with anything more than a 4th rounder

7 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

takk is an odd one..A lot of really good and a lot of not so much.

For me I'd be content with him if we traded back and got a 2nd round pick. say pick 28 or something.. I think TJ watt, Tim Williams, Jordan Willis, T.Hendrickson ( in the 3rd perhaps? ) represent better value.

1 minute ago, Sami84 said:

you'd think with the matt elam debacle they wouldnt pick a guy like peppers but you never know this this FO..i'll agree that of all the bad picks possible he would top the list. I honestly wouldnt touch him with anything more than a 4th rounder

I don't want Peppers in the first, but it's a bit unfair to compare him to Elam, Peppers has never had a problem with missed tackles and he displays instincts around the LOS that Elam never did. As a moneybacker or box safety I bet he'll be fine in the NFL and be successful unlike Elam.

Taco, and cam as a OT would have me livid, if he's drafted to play G then I'm hype. 

If we took ross over Corey Davis or mike Williams I'd throw a fit, but Ross on his own isn't My favorite but I'd be excited about all the speed we'd have

33 minutes ago, hn68wb4 said:

I don't want Peppers in the first, but it's a bit unfair to compare him to Elam, Peppers has never had a problem with missed tackles and he displays instincts around the LOS that Elam never did. As a moneybacker or box safety I bet he'll be fine in the NFL and be successful unlike Elam.

lots of similar traits to elam...lots of flash in college but ratio of flash to substance not very good ..now if we could take him with our 5th round pick for punt return duties i'd not be so upset

36 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Taco, and cam as a OT would have me livid, if he's drafted to play G then I'm hype. 

If we took ross over Corey Davis or mike Williams I'd throw a fit, but Ross on his own isn't My favorite but I'd be excited about all the speed we'd have

my gut tells me that one of those two will be ravens.

I can guarantee we'll be drafting Alabama or Michigan players and of course, like we always do, snub LSU guys.

as much as i hate cam robinson as RT, as a guard, that's a different story altogether. He has KO like potential at guard.Him and stanley would be great together.

5 minutes ago, Sami84 said:

my gut tells me that one of those two will be ravens.

I can guarantee we'll be drafting Alabama or Michigan players and of course, like we always do, snub LSU guys.

I would agree with that. But I don't see any LSU guys worth taking at 16, I'd make an argument for tredavious white but I wouldn't make that call.

8 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

I would agree with that. But I don't see any LSU guys worth taking at 16, I'd make an argument for tredavious white but I wouldn't make that call.

I would love to have Tre White on this team but with the addition of Carr I truly believe we wont take a CB at 16 but he's worth it.

There are a ton of great players but we need to address where the most value is. The guys that might slip that I'd be extremely excited to draft would be: 

Barnett, Foster, M. Williams and Corey Davis. 

Realistically who will be there that still has good value even without a trade back: 

Forrest Lamp, Reddick, Cam Robinson(G), Gareon Conley, John Ross. 

Then there are the guys that look good, but would make me scratch my head because they have major question marks with development, injuries, or scheme fits--some might think Ross fits in here and I do agree, but I have a guy feeling that Ross turns into an electric talent:

Taco, Takk McKinley, Malik McDowell, Jabrill Peppers (16)