BR News

[News] Pass Rusher Derek Barnett Could Slide To Ravens Like Terrell Suggs

40 posts in this topic

With the insane talent and depth in this class, I don't think anyone is worth moving up for

from 16 that is

17 hours ago, Chuckx999 said:

I would still move up and go for TE Howard, to help our poor offense, but if Ozzie is going all defense ( free agents and draft ) this year this guy could be good.

When Barnett struggles with NFL tackles. Nobody complains

18 hours ago, TheConquerorWorm said:

Barnett's combine numbers were down because he was very, very sick. But he still did all the drills (unlike some of the other players who got sick). He's a stud and I don't think he falls (NFL teams know the story behind the combine numbers - rather than some media "expert" just looking at the stats). Ravens will have to move up if they want him.

His pro day numbers were almost identical to his combine so we can throw that argument out. Barnett is probably a top 5 talent to 4-3 teams. His burst is not comparable to elite 3-4 OLBs so don't expect him to have a 16 sack season anytime soon. But I do like the fact that we play hybrid and line up in a 4-3 set about 40 percent of the time so Barnett would play both very well. Very similar to Suggs, he'd set the edge as well as anyone and his motor is insane! I'm still a lil on the fence on this guy being a top 10 talent to a 3-4 team but surely wouldn't mind having him as he'd be a perfect long term replacement to Suggs.

Except he was battling a hamstring issue at his Pro Day as well. Granted, his numbers wouldn't be THAT much better but at the end of the day, the tape doesn't lie. I think he's a much better fit as a 3-4 OLB (he doesn't have the length to play DE in a 4-3). Having great hands negates that OT punch and allows him to use that rip move (a la Suggs) to create a lane to the QB. I disagree about his "burst". It may not be "elite" but it's as good as some of the best pass rushers currently in the NFL - his 3 cone drill & 20 yard shuttle prove that. He's not Suggs, Mack or Beasley but he's a better prospect than Dee Ford or Shane Ray. Could easily be a Justin Houston/Nick Perry player in the NFL

Barnett in a heartbeat! Of course the Ravens are aware of this guy and certainly have him on their big board.

I say this with great hesitation,
Here is the thing about picking a LB/DE with the first pick at 16, more than likely this year the Ravens are probably strong in this position. Sure pass rush seemed weak last year however with an improved secondary a team sacks, most probably, will increase on average.

This leaves the Ravens with 47, 74, 78, 90 to make up ground at CB, WR and OL and C. Not to mention a weakened running game for at least 4 games.

If Suggs replacement is looming, I'm not sure that I would sacrifice a shot at improving the immediate needs in order to seal a playoff run.

I absolutely would take Barnett if he was available at 16 along with lower board players, but not pick him over other options of top 10 draftees if they in turn are available.

This years draft and sophomore class is really going to come down to player development at the NFL level. We can only ask that the players who make the team will contribute to a high level.

Barnett in a heartbeat! Of course the Ravens are aware of this guy and certainly have him on their big board.

I say this with great hesitation,
Here is the thing about picking a LB/DE with the first pick at 16, more than likely this year the Ravens are probably strong in this position. Sure pass rush seemed weak last year however with an improved secondary a team sacks, most probably, will increase on average.

This leaves the Ravens with 47, 74, 78, 90 to make up ground at CB, WR and OL and C. Not to mention a weakened running game for at least 4 games.

If Suggs replacement is looming, I'm not sure that I would sacrifice a shot at improving the immediate needs in order to seal a playoff run.

I absolutely would take Barnett if he was available at 16 along with lower board players, but not pick him over other options of top 10 draftees if they in turn are available.

This years draft and sophomore class is really going to come down to player development at the NFL level. We can only ask that the players who make the team will contribute to a high level.

A strong secondary does not increase a defenses capability to get sacks.

27 minutes ago, Ravensfansince03 said:

A strong secondary does not increase a defenses capability to get sacks.

So if all receivers are covered and the QB has to run around trying to find a way to get rid of the ball....that time the secondary gives you doesn't increase the chances of getting a sack?!?

Barnett was never going to wow the scouts with his combine numbers, but the tape and collegiate career production doesn't lie. He is a gamer and his motor does not shut off. Honestly, he is very much in the Suggs mold. Their combine numbers and size measurables are eerily similar. So was their collegiate production.

Obviously Suggs had a season for the ages in '02, but you have to take into consideration he was facing P12 tackles and in a very blitz, rush happy ASU defense. Put Barnett on the Sun Devils and his numbers go up. His numbers against SEC OLmen are impressive in themselves. I think Barnett has the make-up to be a stud. Please let him slide to us at 16.

As much as I love Corey Davis and Reuben Foster, I'd have a hard time passing on Barnett. Those are my three top wants(realistic wants) and I'd be happy with either one of them, but we need Suggs replacement and I'm just not sure we currently have that guy on the roster.

Edited by BMoreDuck

1 hour ago, BMoreDuck said:

Barnett was never going to wow the scouts with his combine numbers, but the tape and collegiate career production doesn't lie. He is a gamer and his motor does not shut off. Honestly, he is very much in the Suggs mold. Their combine numbers and size measurables are eerily similar. So was their collegiate production.

Obviously Suggs had a season for the ages in '02, but you have to take into consideration he was facing P12 tackles and in a very blitz, rush happy ASU defense. Put Barnett on the Sun Devils and his numbers go up. His numbers against SEC OLmen are impressive in themselves. I think Barnett has the make-up to be a stud. Please let him slide to us at 16.

As much as I love Corey Davis and Reuben Foster, I'd have a hard time passing on Barnett. Those are my three top wants(realistic wants) and I'd be happy with either one of them, but we need Suggs replacement and I'm just not sure we currently have that guy on the roster.

Great post! Agree 100 percent

Why can't we have a 3rd day draft pick that turns out like Tyreek Hill? Can we get lucky once please? I want a damn 5th or 6th rounder to be our Rookie of the year with some amazing plays? Is that too much to ask?

When Barnett is not a double digit sack artist. Fans that are saying he is going to be a sack artist are going to call him a successful pick for playing hard and trying to set edge. Even when he doesn't get sacks and QB hits.