BR News

[News] Pass Rusher Derek Barnett Could Slide To Ravens Like Terrell Suggs

38 posts in this topic

NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah believes the Tennessee product could fall down the draft board based on his combine testing, similar to the way Terrell Suggs did in 2003.

View the full article

So many directions we can go because we have a lot of needs and this draft class is very deep in a couple of the need areas for us.

"Not content to just set the edge -- wants to make the play." -That is from the NFL draft prospect page on Barnett.

That is EXACTLY the style that make Suggs such a lethal force. I would lose it if we came away with Barnett!

You just can not win if you do not put points on the board and our offense is pretty depleted right now. We have drafted edge rushers each of the last several years and it's time for one of them to step up! Coaching staff needs to show an ability to develop the raw talent that has been drafted ie Correra!

We need to focus on offense this year, OL and Receiver at the high end of the draft and I would be much happier with a CB who can cover than another edge rusher if we go defense again.

Everyone says we need more pressure to help the corners BUT if the corners can hold just a little longer in solid coverage the rush that we have may just have the time to get there! Today's NFL is shorter, quick routes which further establishes the need for solid corners who can play the bump game well because outside pressure is probably not going to get there on the quick release routes anyway. Priority on Defense is CB not edge rusher IMO. but we also need to fix the dam offense once and for all!

You just can not win if you do not put points on the board and our offense is pretty depleted right now. We have drafted edge rushers each of the last several years and it's time for one of them to step up! Coaching staff needs to show an ability to develop the raw talent that has been drafted ie Correra!

We need to focus on offense this year, OL and Receiver at the high end of the draft and I would be much happier with a CB who can cover than another edge rusher if we go defense again.

Everyone says we need more pressure to help the corners BUT if the corners can hold just a little longer in solid coverage the rush that we have may just have the time to get there! Today's NFL is shorter, quick routes which further establishes the need for solid corners who can play the bump game well because outside pressure is probably not going to get there on the quick release routes anyway. Priority on Defense is CB not edge rusher IMO. but we also need to fix the dam offense once and for all!

Drafted Perriman, Stanley first round the past 2 years. That seems to skew offense in my book recently.

2 hours ago, MadStorkSociety said:

What if Corey Davis & Derek Barnett are both on the board??

I would be extremely excited for who we picked, then bummed for who we passed up. Lol! 

"We need to focus on offense this year, OL and Receiver at the high end of the draft "

We drafted a LT with our first pick last year, and the year before we used our first pick on a WR, and 2nd round pick on a TE. The offense has been priority each of the last two drafts. I might throw up if we use this year's first pick on a WR.
Given the fragility of Jimmy Smith and the diminishing effectiveness of Suggs, I'd say drafting a CB or Pass Rusher are the bigger priorities.

Barnett's combine numbers were down because he was very, very sick. But he still did all the drills (unlike some of the other players who got sick). He's a stud and I don't think he falls (NFL teams know the story behind the combine numbers - rather than some media "expert" just looking at the stats). Ravens will have to move up if they want him.

2 hours ago, objective view said:

Drafted Perriman, Stanley first round the past 2 years. That seems to skew offense in my book recently.

We released Zuthah, Lost SS SR, Lost Wagner, Lost Akin, Lost Juszczyk last year Lost Osemele and do not have quality back ups for the O line, so unless you want to loose 10 to zip or 14 to 3, you might rethink your position...

I would still move up and go for TE Howard, to help our poor offense, but if Ozzie is going all defense ( free agents and draft ) this year this guy could be good.

I would still move up and go for TE Howard, to help our poor offense, but if Ozzie is going all defense ( free agents and draft ) this year this guy could be good.

Chuck I think I have figured you out. I think OJ Howard is the only guy in the draft that you know anything about.

8 hours ago, MadStorkSociety said:

What if Corey Davis & Derek Barnett are both on the board??

Tough choice. We need both LOL. But any one of them l'll be happy with either Ozzie chooses between these two if it comes down like that. Lol. 👍

Edited by hen826957

11 hours ago, objective view said:
11 hours ago, designermaryland said:
  13 hours ago, objective view said:

We released Zuthah, Lost SS SR, Lost Wagner, Lost Akin, Lost Juszczyk last year Lost Osemele and do not have quality back ups for the O line, so unless you want to loose 10 to zip or 14 to 3, you might rethink your position...

With so many holes on our roster you have to take the bpa with the exception of QBs and TE in the first. In situations like this getting value for your pick takes precedent over needs. If the FO went into the first with a plan to only select guys from a few selective positions they could get painted into a corner. And end up taking a guy way to early or passing on a guy that the FO thought would be long gone by the time we got on the clock.

Edited by billiejean

Someone release a fake video of Barnett smoking a bong please! Just make sure our FO is the only ones that know it's fake

11 hours ago, TheConquerorWorm said:

Barnett's combine numbers were down because he was very, very sick. But he still did all the drills (unlike some of the other players who got sick). He's a stud and I don't think he falls (NFL teams know the story behind the combine numbers - rather than some media "expert" just looking at the stats). Ravens will have to move up if they want him.

His pro day numbers were almost identical to his combine so we can throw that argument out. Barnett is probably a top 5 talent to 4-3 teams. His burst is not comparable to elite 3-4 OLBs so don't expect him to have a 16 sack season anytime soon. But I do like the fact that we play hybrid and line up in a 4-3 set about 40 percent of the time so Barnett would play both very well. Very similar to Suggs, he'd set the edge as well as anyone and his motor is insane! I'm still a lil on the fence on this guy being a top 10 talent to a 3-4 team but surely wouldn't mind having him as he'd be a perfect long term replacement to Suggs.

10 hours ago, Chuckx999 said:

I literally love Howard as a prospect. He's gonna do some damage in the NFL but I'm afraid he's not our guy. Just wrong time and place for him and us.

Barnett falling to us would be dream scenario in my eyes. Sack production generally carries over to the pros. Corey Davis a close second.
My money is on Reuben Foster though, can't see Ozzie resisting if he's there.(To be fair think he's an even better prospect than Moseley, just can't built a team in 2017 by putting all your resources into G,NT,ILB,S)

Jesus, please pray for Todd Heap and his family! They are dealing with a tragic event.

It broke my heart to hear it