BR News

[News] Report: Ravens Re-Sign Defensive Back Lardarius Webb

47 posts in this topic

I LOVE this news.

See avatar.

Edited by K-Dog

I'm just happy that Webb is back where he belongs. He is after all one of the few life long Ravens! Good for him and better for all of us! Welcome back and the first order of business is obviously to reclaim that #21!

best move of the offseason. 

the difference this makes in our secondary is so big. cheap signing, for a longtime team first hard working guy. 

when healthy, webb plays boundary corner, slot corner, ss, and fs, at a very respectable level, and does so with more knowledge of the pees defense than probably anyone on the team as he is a very high iq savvy veteran db. by making him a depth piece, his age becomes much less of a factor, when his number is called he is rested, familiar, and ready to go, and it helps to reduce the risk of injury theoretically. 

if webb stays healthy, then we are no longer gonna see our defense dwindle into a joke just because we lose one db, we now have a solid veteran backup who can step into any spot. jimmy gets hurt? move carr to 1 and put webb at 2, carr gets hurt? put webb at 2. tavon gets hurt? put webb at slot. either safety gets hurt? simply slide webb in. one more young and healthy corner would be great to really take a full measure, but the moves that have been made like jefferson and carr and webb, really helps us avoid the same problem that buries us every year.

Webb was part of the secondary that routinely surrenders 4th quarter leads. I don't get how adding him makes the Ravens better or add quality depth. What happened to getting younger and faster?

Solidifies the Secondary and Webb is a very versatile Player. If the D-Line and OLBs can pressure the QBs and start actually getting Sacks again ? The DBs won't be trying to run after WRs all day long !

45 minutes ago, law215 said:

Webb was part of the secondary that routinely surrenders 4th quarter leads. I don't get how adding him makes the Ravens better or add quality depth. What happened to getting younger and faster?

suggs was part of a pass rush that routinely surrendered 4th quarter leads, guess we should cut him?

Glad to have Webb back. We officially have a top 5 secondary that can handle injuries as they come. 

Looks like Tony Jefferson will be switching his Jersey Number !
I suggest # 25 .

6 hours ago, law215 said:

Like any business you need a mix of young and old to make it work. Too many young players may provide speed but they lack the experience to put themselves in the correct position to make a play. While too many vets and players know where to be but just can't always get there in time. If we can add a player or two in the draft we will have a nice balance. 

6 hours ago, GeeWallee said:

I suggest # 25 .

Would be good to see Walker's number back in use again.

Anytime a big name Raven gets cut and falls off the face of the Earth in terms of being a free agent, they re-sign. Dumervil will re-sign as well, just watch.

6 hours ago, GeeWallee said:

I suggest # 25 .

I was thinking 23. It would be the ying to Weddle's 32 yang. 

7 hours ago, GeeWallee said:

I suggest # 25 .

I kind of like 23 better for Jefferson. I think that number looks good on him. 👍 Weddle 32 Jefferson 23 flip flop numbers. Lol. 😅

Edited by hen826957

We have so many holes to fill in the draft that this move makes sense. Webb actually was playing fairly well as the season progressed last year. This takes some of the pressure off to use a high pick on a corner; allowing us to look toward the OL and a WR. If the season started today our OL would be our biggest weakness so we need some serious moves to shore it up.

I still would love us to grab Sidney Jones in the draft and then it would really solidify the secondary. 👍

8 hours ago, law215 said:

suggs was part of a pass rush that routinely surrendered 4th quarter leads, guess we should cut him?

Suggs brings more to the table. You already have Young, Smith, Carr, Jefferson, and Weddle in the secondary. Who do Ravens have if Suggs is gone?

To put Webb in a category of Suggs is ridiculous.

This is great news. Webb did start off the season last year, not on top of his game but after Harbaugh and the team called him out on the carpet, his play changed dramatically. This is a great signing as it gives us a vet backup if needed.
I got his Jersey signed and framed last year and then he got cut. I got Nghata to sign a Jersey, right before he left too so I was starting to think I couldn't wear the jersey of anyone I wanted to stay any more. (It started with my "Boller" Jersey but that departure turned out OK :-)
(If only I had that kind of pull!)

Well, I don't see why getting a hometown favorite (except for you of course), the 16th rated safety in the NFL, and a good guy for CONSIDERABLY less money than he made last year, is so hard to get. Makes perfect sense to me.

9 hours ago, law215 said:

Well, I don't see why getting a hometown favorite (except for you of course), the 16th rated safety in the NFL, and a good guy for CONSIDERABLY less money than he made last year, is so hard to get. Makes perfect sense to me.

If Webb was any good some other team would have picked him up. The fact that in a passing league he was available after being cut should say its time to move on.

1 hour ago, 20306cab said:
  10 hours ago, law215 said:

If Webb was any good some other team would have picked him up. The fact that in a passing league he was available after being cut should say its time to move on.

It gives you a vet to help the younger players that we bring in to learn our D. Plus gives another back to play Nickel and dime packages . You made argument he let us down in 4th quarter.. well maybe this year since he's playing a more limited role maybe he will have more the tank for the 4 quarter

Grab a CB with one of our top four draft selections and we're looking very solid all around in our secondary. Great move re-signing Webb for less money, utilizing him as a kind of super-utility man in our backfield, should be fresh when called upon, knows our system very well...all around smart move by the Raven's. Welcome home, Webbie!

13 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

best move of the offseason. 

the difference this makes in our secondary is so big. cheap signing, for a longtime team first hard working guy. 

when healthy, webb plays boundary corner, slot corner, ss, and fs, at a very respectable level, and does so with more knowledge of the pees defense than probably anyone on the team as he is a very high iq savvy veteran db. by making him a depth piece, his age becomes much less of a factor, when his number is called he is rested, familiar, and ready to go, and it helps to reduce the risk of injury theoretically. 

if webb stays healthy, then we are no longer gonna see our defense dwindle into a joke just because we lose one db, we now have a solid veteran backup who can step into any spot. jimmy gets hurt? move carr to 1 and put webb at 2, carr gets hurt? put webb at 2. tavon gets hurt? put webb at slot. either safety gets hurt? simply slide webb in. one more young and healthy corner would be great to really take a full measure, but the moves that have been made like jefferson and carr and webb, really helps us avoid the same problem that buries us every year.

I agree. And add an ilb that can play the run physical and run and cover like Foster Zack Brown and Reddick and defense will control the intermediate range.

3 hours ago, law215 said:

Suggs brings more to the table. You already have Young, Smith, Carr, Jefferson, and Weddle in the secondary. Who do Ravens have if Suggs is gone?

How often does Suggs go down and we are left scrambling for pass rush depth? Hint, it happened once

how many times have our cbs went down and we watch an otherwise solid team become abysmal because of practice squadders starting in the secondary? Literally every year

3 hours ago, law215 said:

How often does Suggs go down and we are left scrambling for pass rush depth? Hint, it happened once

how many times have our cbs went down and we watch an otherwise solid team become abysmal because of practice squadders starting in the secondary? Literally every year

IS Webb at this point in his career worth spending money on with so many holes at Wr, OL, Pass rush? IMO no.