757RavensFan

Jernigan traded to the Eagles

282 posts in this topic

Eh, they obviously had some issues with Jernigan other than this being the last year on his rookie contract. For me it's not that big of a deal losing him. He's been inconsistent and has made some pretty dumb mistakes. Good they were able to move up in the third round in a deep draft. 

Edited by Tank 92

People are also assuming that Pierce was going to eventually take his spot on the DL. We have no clue how Pierce is going to handle a full workload. We have seen in the past that some guys are much better suited to being a rotational piece. 

Also, our other DT spot is a total mess. Urban can't stay healthy and can be just as invisible as Jernigan. We also have no clue about Kaufusi. I didn't follow his college career. Is he injury prone? Can he even handle being a starting DT in this league? No one has a clue at this time. 

At least this year, at worst, our starting D line could have been Pierce-Williams-Jernigan. Now? I have no clue how bad it actually could get.

Also, another talking point that no one is bringing up, who in the hell is going to rush the passer this year??

We very well could be league worst in sacks this year. I don't need to sit here and explain how horrible that will be to our D/Secondary

1 minute ago, Ravens4Real said:

People are also assuming that Pierce was going to eventually take his spot on the DL. We have no clue how Pierce is going to handle a full workload. We have seen in the past that some guys are much better suited to being a rotational piece. 

Also, our other DT spot is a total mess. Urban can't stay healthy and can be just as invisible as Jernigan. We also have no clue about Kaufusi. I didn't follow his college career. Is he injury prone? Can he even handle being a starting DT in this league? No one has a clue at this time. 

At least this year, at worst, our starting D line could have been Pierce-Williams-Jernigan. Now? I have no clue how bad it actually could get.

well we know what Jernigan can do with a full work load, and it was very inconsistent at best. Sometimes down right head scratching. 

Just now, eek said:

well we know what Jernigan can do with a full work load, and it was very inconsistent at best. Sometimes down right head scratching. 

Above average sometimes to below average other times is 100x better than guys sitting on the bench with injuries providing nothing at all to the team. Jernigan is also 24 years old. His best years are ahead of him. Not behind him.

32 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

I hate this move. It'll be even more painful when we trade back, and back, and back, and back, to get a handful of 6th and 7th rounders that won't even make the team. 

If this is Ozzie strategy, then the Jernigan trade would be a waste because you be almost going back to the same position which we were before the trade. Ozzie should not trade back in the 3rd round or this trade is a waste. 

8 minutes ago, Supychou said:

Lmao.
Another amazing trade by the FO! 

How about trading Mosley and our 16th for the Colts 15th? After all, Mosley will need a new contract soon and is one of our best young defensive players also. And we would get 1 pick closer!!!

Teams in the NFL must be happy to trade with us. It costs them basically nothing and they get a ProBowler-typish player.

Name a player they've recently traded that was a "ProBowler-typish player" after the trade.  

11 minutes ago, Supychou said:

Lmao.
Another amazing trade by the FO! 

How about trading Mosley and our 16th for the Colts 15th? After all, Mosley will need a new contract soon and is one of our best young defensive players also. And we would get 1 pick closer!!!

Teams in the NFL must be happy to trade with us. It costs them basically nothing and they get a ProBowler-typish player.

You mean pro-bowler who made more penalties than plays in his career so far?

As someone who mostly sees the sense in front office moves I have to say that this seems a little cheap to be getting rid of Jernigan unless maybe there's an issue that we are unaware of (but you have to think the eagles would know about it too)

even if we land someone at 74 that comes in and contributes and even if we really believe in willie henry (I'd have to think it's him they trust given the play styles rather than Carl Davis or Michael pierce), this still feels a little cheap - if we could have turned that 4th into a 3rd I'd feel a lot better about this

im a fan of Timmy's and the way he vocally led the defensive lineman on game day so I'm sad to see him go - i really want him to go and earn his money but I wish it had been after a contract year with us - I almost feel like a pure 4th (as an extra pick) would have been a better deal just because of the depth in this draft

i have to say I'm really not even lukewarm about this and given the other moves the front office has made I'm a little confused: we obviously aren't rebuilding yet we've got rid of a solid contributor who occasionally flashes brilliance in a contract year

i dunno - I still have faith so I guess I just have to stick to the in Ozzie we trust mantra although i certainly am not seeing the bigger picture on this one

3 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

If this is Ozzie strategy, then the Jernigan trade would be a waste because you be almost going back to the same position which we were before the trade. Ozzie should not trade back in the 3rd round or this trade is a waste. 

By going back we get extra 4th or 5th pick. So it won't be the same like we re at 99.

15 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Between 74 and 99 board can get completely cleaned up 

So that is worth giving ourselves another hole on defense? It isn't like our pass rush was that great to start with. 

1 minute ago, 52520Andrew said:

So that is worth giving ourselves another hole on defense? It isn't like our pass rush was that great to start with. 

I can't even name a single person on our roster that has a 25% chance of getting double digit sacks.

This would sit a little easier with me, if we would still had L. Guy.  

We've lost 2 starting DLmen and trying to replace them w/ guys who have a year of experience or less. 

1 hour ago, RavensDieHard21 said:

What a dumb move! What a horrendous trade. A player that is very likely to ball out in a contract year was traded for a swapped pick. 

Trying to make patriot like deals yet we aren't really getting squat. 

I have to disagree. Jernigan was penalty prone and inconsistent as all hell. There's no guarantee he was going to be some stud in his contract year, and no guarantee we were going to get a decent comp pick after he left. This big of a move up in a draft that's loaded at positions we need is a good deal.

4 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

I think Kaufusi can replace his production in a pass rush department and that we can load up on quality edge players this draft

Just now, Ravens4Real said:

I can't even name a single person on our roster that has a 25% chance of getting double digit sacks.

We have an old Suggs, Judon, and Willie Henry as our best pass rushers. And it isn't like we don't have holes on O-line, at WR, and ILB. I hate to say it but the way things look right now, we could have a lot of new faces next year.

2 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

This would sit a little easier with me, if we would still had L. Guy.  

We've lost 2 starting DLmen and trying to replace them w/ guys who have a year of experience or less. 

We are pretty much hoping Kaufusi and Henry can be starters right now

5 minutes ago, RaineV1 said:

I have to disagree. Jernigan was penalty prone and inconsistent as all hell. There's no guarantee he was going to be some stud in his contract year, and no guarantee we were going to get a decent comp pick after he left. This big of a move up in a draft that's loaded at positions we need is a good deal.

You are playing the what if game with Jernigan. 

Theres also no guaruntee that moving up 25 spots will get us a great, good or even average player. They could be a complete bust. You also have no clue what other teams will draft like. We could move up 25 spots to see all of the guys at our positions of need taken before that pick. 

Edited by Ravens4Real

1 minute ago, allblackraven said:

I think Kaufusi can replace his production in a pass rush department and that we can load up on quality edge players this draft

Yeah, I think the team likes Kaufusi as a replacement. And we have Henry and Pierce. Not to mention other guys possibly through the draft or UDFA. The Ravens always find more d-linemen to plug holes.

Let's not forget Kaufusi will be back. He could soften the blow too. We have too many "young DE's with potential" and finally they can unleash that potential....at least thats what I'm hoping lol. Plus two early(ish) 3rd round picks this year is looking quite nice B)

2 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

Name a player they've recently traded that was a "ProBowler-typish player" after the trade.  

Well, Zuttah, without being the best C in the NFL made it to the ProBowl. And still without being the best C in the NFL, he had his struggles in run block but was pretty good (and I am being nice because I think he had no sack the whole year against him) in pass protection. And we still traded him for more than nothing.

I am not saying Jernigan will be a beast in Philly. Just saying that if you want to trade one of your best young players, at least get something in return.

Everybody is saying "amazing to get 20ish better spots in a deep draft!". Shouldn't it be the opposite? If this drat is so deep, it means you can get great players late, and being at the beginning of the 3rd or end of the 3rd makes no difference. You would still be able to get a good player if this draft is "so deep".

The only way this trade will have value is if we decide to trade up for one of our first 2 picks to get basically two 1st round caliber players. And only time will tell.

But for now, this trade is definitely a bad one.
Except if you think Davis (ridiculous number of snaps in NFL), Henry (never played in NFL), Kafausi (never played in NFL) or Urban (even more inconsistent than Jernigan, when not injured) will be amazing for our defense. And in this case, it is worth playing the lottery because you can see future.

Tbh, I don't see how you can do such a good FA for your defense, and possibly destroy it within few weeks.

2 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

We have an old Suggs, Judon, and Willie Henry as our best pass rushers. And it isn't like we don't have holes on O-line, at WR, and ILB. I hate to say it but the way things look right now, we could have a lot of new faces next year.

Can't forget about their third round pick Carl Davis 

2 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

Kaufusi is already replacing Guy, I see Willie Henry as the guy we are probably going to depend on at 3-tech and asking them both to be starting caliber players is a big risk.

Just now, jazz1988 said:

Has he shown anything? Doesn't seemed to be favored by the team

1 minute ago, 52520Andrew said:

Kaufusi never made it out of TC and Henry never saw the field.  That's a bit of a stretch to think they can be starters. 

I'm thinking, they're expecting; Pierce, Urban and Carl Davis to provide an immediate impact.  With Kaufusi and Henry as rotational players. 

1 minute ago, jazz1988 said:

I don't want to hear anyone mention Jernigan as inconsistent and then try to say Carl Davis can replace him. It's just stupid. Davis is worse than Jernigan at disappearing. He managed to do it for the whole year outside of the preseason and a game or two early.

They must be high on kaufusi. I'm guessing DL will be a position we address pretty early in the draft.

20 minutes ago, leziRav said:

By going back we get extra 4th or 5th pick. So it won't be the same like we re at 99.

If Ozzie trade back 4 or 5 spots in the 3rd round then it's fine but if they trade back almost to they were at 99, then the Jernigan deal feels like it effect us more than gaining value. 

Edited by hen826957

Honestly, I'm not upset at the slightest and I don't think Jernigan had a shot to come back here to begin with. Love the guy but he couldn't register a full season with us. He seemed to play at his best in the start, middle or end of the season. We never got a full year of productivity from him here and its not worth paying a high price. To add, Jernigan disappeared very badly at the end of the year and was probably our worst DL, I personally think that cost him big time. I don't think he's going to break FA. I've honestly been fine about the idea of trading Jernigan since the trade rumors came about. I can understand the frustration but he was not going to be here next year. Not happening. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

6 minutes ago, Supychou said:

Tbh, I don't see how you can do such a good FA for your defense, and possibly destroy it within few weeks.

LOL wait, wait wait, so losing one player is destroying our defense? damn i had no idea our whole defense road on jernigans shoulders. 

Ken McKusick (aka FilmStudy) tweet:  

Per PFT draft chart pick 99 is worth 104 pts, 74 is worth 220, so I think of it as an extra #99 for Jernigan

Read into it as you like. 

Edited by 757RavensFan