757RavensFan

Jernigan traded to the Eagles

282 posts in this topic

Well if I am not mistaken that's 2 guys this year Oz and the front office has made moves like this with Zuttah and now Jernigan. 

Didn't we give the 9ers Zuttah and swap pick with them too?

I am sure Oz has a plan I just hope it works.

3 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

I'm ok with trading Jernigan but l want a 3rd round pick in return not just swapping picks. Eagles got Jernigan just by swapping picks. They really didn't lose nothing in this trade. I didn't like it. 

What if say... a guy like Elflein is available at 74 and wouldn't have been at 99 and moving Jernigan is the difference between us landing a franchise C for the next 10 years or picking a backup CB or something. 

This move will be judged on how Pierce/Henry play and what we get at 74. Period. 

Just now, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

What if say... a guy like Elflein is available at 74 and wouldn't have been at 99 and moving Jernigan is the difference between us landing a franchise C for the next 10 years or picking a backup CB or something. 

This move will be judged on how Pierce/Henry play and what we get at 74. Period. 

And how Jernigan plays.

Well 1 bonus is our younger DL are going to get to compete for more snaps. But it's only a positive if they play better than Jernigan.

Just now, SepticeyePoe said:

And how Jernigan plays.

Not really bc there's no guarantee he would've played that way here. 

Not only that I've got to imagine they only felt comfortable making this move bc they planned on increasing Pierce's role regardless. 

Good luck to Jernigan and I hope he plays well. 

But if he does it doesn't make this move bad imo. We weren't keeping him. Pierce will be here and that pick will end up here. 

So if the 2 pieces of the puzzle that do end up here play well and prove big parts of the future, Jernigans play has no impact for me. 

11 minutes ago, Purple_City39 said:

It wouldn't have been two years, would have been next year.

And a d-lineman that's pretty good against the run but can also rush the passer would have definitely netted a decent comp pick.  Unless he gets injured, I can't imagine Jernigan not getting 10M a season when whatever teams signs him next year. 

It would have been two years. He would have been a free agent next year (2018) and signed and the comp pick would have been given in the 2019 draft. 

2 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I can agree with your statement. I don' really like the swapping of picks but it does move us up to have more players available to us. 

YES!!!YES!!! YES!!! it will be judged on how well Pierce and Henry play.

I hate this move. It'll be even more painful when we trade back, and back, and back, and back, to get a handful of 6th and 7th rounders that won't even make the team. 

6 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I guess it does favors us to get the player we wanted early but the Eagles wouldn't mind waiting a couple of spots. 😅

1 minute ago, Deflated Football said:

I hate this move. It'll be even more painful when we trade back, and back, and back, and back, to get a handful of 6th and 7th rounders that won't even make the team. 

Please NO!!! I really hope that's not Oz's plan moving forward.

Edited by ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

3 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Not really bc there's no guarantee he would've played that way here. 

Not only that I've got to imagine they only felt comfortable making this move bc they planned on increasing Pierce's role regardless. 

Good luck to Jernigan and I hope he plays well. 

But if he does it doesn't make this move bad imo. We weren't keeping him. Pierce will be here and that pick will end up here. 

So if the 2 pieces of the puzzle that do end up here play well and prove big parts of the future, Jernigans play has no impact for me. 

That's true, I guess.

1 minute ago, hen826957 said:

I guess it does favors us to get the player we wanted early but the Eagles wouldn't mind waiting a couple of spots. 😅

Whoever the Eagles would be targeting at 74 would probably not be available at 99. 

21 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

I don't like it for the shear fact that he was pretty much the only semblance of interior pass rush we had, even though the back half of his season was pretty atrocious.  With that being said, there seem to be quite a few allusions to it being more than an on the field decision.  Apparently he didn't take it too well when his playing time was reduced late in the season.  Coming from a strictly on field perspective, I don't like it.  If it's deeper than that, I guess you could say I'm okay with it.

I  don't get why he was so upset with his snap count because the  less amount snaps he got was around 20+snaps and that was against The Cowboy which mostly due to the  team  keeping him fresh since he  was labeled as  being questionable with shoulder injury before the game.  He was getting like 40 snaps early in the season and his snap count later on drop to like 30+ snaps but I would think with less snaps he would be more consistent which he wasn't., I know his snap count dropped but it wasn't that big of  a drop to be mad in my opinion but he obviously didn't prove to the coaching staff  why he should get more snaps.

Edited by jazz1988

I could see this move working out great for both teams. 

Jernigan should fit in well with their wide 9 front playing next to Fletcher Cox. 

With Cox getting double teams and the tackles stretched out wider it should give Jernigan gaps to knife through. I could see him having a great year there. 

And his upside as a pass rusher allows them to keep Vinny Curry on the end on the 3rd downs. Takes some of their need for another pass rusher away too. 

And we can move Pierce into a more prominent role. I can see Pierce being every bit as good a run defender and being a better pass rusher in our scheme. 

Plus this gives me the feeling that we have some targets in the Top 75 of this draft that we really really like that weren't likely to fall to 99. 

Keep in mind the Eagles have no cap space so they traded for only a 1 year guarantee. They weren't going to give up much. And if he plays well enough that they want to keep him they're going to have to shell out some cash to do so. 

This is interesting... because at first I didn't like it.

But we move up in a deep draft, an save around a million dollars which could go elsewhere. It's not a not of money in perspective, but it could be a dealbreaker for a FA. At least we hopefully won't have to deal with some done Unnecessary roughness or personal foul penalties Timmy would've done. Ozzie will address this move tomorrow in his press conference. I'm sure he has a plan.

I do not agree `giving up a 2nd round player and a 3rd round pick for only a 3 round pick in return. If I am not seeing the value please explain it to me.

I'm surprised. When pressed on whether or not the trade rumors were real, we talked about moving him, but that we "weren't going to give him away". For me, that meant more than moving up in the 3rd round. I guess giving him away would be swapping 4th round picks. 

So much for this 1st round talent that we got in the 2nd round. Just another 2nd rounder with limited impact on the team's success. 

Jernigan was the best and only good pass rusher we had. And he had the highest run stopping grade from pff of any 3-4 DE. And he's only 24 years old. Eagles got a great deal

6 minutes ago, ALSKAN RAVEN FAN said:

Please NO!!! I really hope that's not Oz's plan moving forward.

It's not. Don't worry. 

This reads clearly to me that they see a significant drop off in talent at a certain point... prob around 65-75 players. 

And while we see only 25 spots we moved up... they're confident the quality of player likely to be available at 74 has a much much higher grade than those likely to be available at 100. 

So the # of spots they moved up is less significant. If they feel at 74 they'll get a player with a 2nd round grade on their board... and at 99 they were likely to have players with late 3rd-4th round grades then in value it could be like a 2 round jump. 

So outside of our 2 down NT who we overpaid to begin with, we now have either guys that are overaged and declining or young guys who we truly know not too much about. I just don't like the trade.

Jernigan was a first round talent coming out that fell to the second in the draft. He has shown flashes of being a very good player. Getting him in the right environment and getting his motor going 100% all of the time and he'd be a stud DE. 

And who is even to say that we'd lose him next year? May be we could have signed him even if he did have a awesome year. I think this move may help us in the long term but won't help this year. Unless, it happens to help a major position of need and a rookie comes in and actually contributes (rarely happens the first year).

I don't think that is worth moving a very young DE who is on the rise and has major potential. I'd like this trade if it was for a 3rd rounder and Jernigan straight up. So we lost our 2nd round pic for basically moving up 25 spots in a round? I don't even know what that equates to but that isn't a fair deal on our end. Obviously I know other things play a factor in the decision. 

If anything, I think this just speaks to the inability this FO has at resigning their drafted talent. 

5 minutes ago, Sunday QB said:

I do not agree `giving up a 2nd round player and a 3rd round pick for only a 3 round pick in return. If I am not seeing the value please explain it to me.

It's not that simple. Timmys value is no longer that of a 2nd rounder -- you get them for 4 years on a cheap deal. 

Whereas Jernigan had 1 yr left and likely a reduced role with the emergence of Pierce. 

Plus they could see 75 players with a 2nd round value or higher in this draft, and essentially feel they'll be getting a much much better player at 74 than would be available at 99.  

So its possible they moved on from what was going to be a rotational DL to draft what they hope can be an impact starter for the next 4-10 years. 

It all depends on how Pierce/Henry/Davis play and who they end up taking at 74. 

I mean really.... if you don't see yourself as a sure fire contender this year you might as well improve your assets that could make you that contender for the next 4-5 years. 

2 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

So outside of our 2 down NT who we overpaid to begin with, we now have either guys that are overaged and declining or young guys who we truly know not too much about. I just don't like the trade.

Jernigan was a first round talent coming out that fell to the second in the draft. He has shown flashes of being a very good player. Getting him in the right environment and getting his motor going 100% all of the time and he'd be a stud DE. 

And who is even to say that we'd lose him next year? May be we could have signed him even if he did have a awesome year. I think this move may help us in the long term but won't help this year. Unless, it happens to help a major position of need and a rookie comes in and actually contributes (rarely happens the first year).

I don't think that is worth moving a very young DE who is on the rise and has major potential. I'd like this trade if it was for a 3rd rounder and Jernigan straight up. So we lost our 2nd round pic for basically moving up 25 spots in a round? I don't even know what that equates to but that isn't a fair deal on our end. Obviously I know other things play a factor in the decision. 

If anything, I think this just speaks to the inability this FO has at resigning their drafted talent. 

Well if the plan was to resign him you can still do that. 

The eagles have no cap space so they're not extending him now. 

And he'll likely want to hit FA next year unless the Eagles blow him away with an offer. 

They werent going to resign him... I think that's clear. But in your hypothetical they still can. 

I liked timmys porential, but got frustrated with him for some of his dumb rpenalties. He probably would have done better being that this is his contract year. I just wish we got a 2nd round pick for him and our 3rd. Thst would have been pretty sweet

Edited by Underdogsontop!

Man, some of y'all really support every single thing this FO does. It's okay to disagree with a move and still be a fan. 

4 picks out of the top 78, can't be mad about that. 

Rd 1: 16th pick

Rd: 2: 15th pick

Rd: 3: 10th(eagles trade) and 14th pick

37 minutes ago, 52520Andrew said:

Welp, we got a 3rd rounder for him... by giving up our 3rd rounder. 

Between 74 and 99 board can get completely cleaned up 

2 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

Man, some of y'all really support every single thing this FO does. It's okay to disagree with a move and still be a fan. 

LOL true. I don't agree on everything that the front office does. This is 50-50 to me. Rmcjacket probably always does. 👍

Lmao.
Another amazing trade by the FO! 

How about trading Mosley and our 16th for the Colts 15th? After all, Mosley will need a new contract soon and is one of our best young defensive players also. And we would get 1 pick closer!!!

Teams in the NFL must be happy to trade with us. It costs them basically nothing and they get a ProBowler-typish player.

7 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

im not so sure, i fee like the boneheaded penalties by jeinigan, specially the ones he had late in games, cost us at least 2 games. I mean he had some of the dumbest penalties that i'd seen in a long time. it doesn't matter if your getting sacks or pass rushes, when your giving them the yards and then some back on the next play.