BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Bolstering Defense Is Part Of Surrounding Joe Flacco With Right Tools

70 posts in this topic

The Ravens have consistently said they need to give quarterback Joe Flacco better tools to succeed, and an improved defense is part of that equation. Flacco had the team in winning situations several times last season, only for the defense to give away leads.

View the full article

This is a great article. Although Flacco did not have the best of seasons, he played well enough in that Giant's game behind a make shift line to win. In the Pittsburgh game, he played lights out and if it wasn't for a Pitta drop, a Waller drop, we would have won. Pitta also failed to sit in a zone Flacco realized the Steelers were in pre snap late in the game on third down (resulted in a field goal).  The key denominator in both of these games for the defense was Jimmy Smith was out (in first half against OBJ, out for the second half). We need him to be healthy as he is a crucial piece to our defense. Let's help the defensive secondary with our first pick with the best way to defend the pass....a pass rusher!

Yeah, lets work on Offense now instead of relying on Tucker or waiting until the second half to get things going. Being ranked in the top 7 in D is pretty dang good and now they have to be better to give Joe a chance...

1 hour ago, bdog920 said:

This is a great article. Although Flacco did not have the best of seasons, he played well enough in that Giant's game behind a make shift line to win. In the Pittsburgh game, he played lights out and if it wasn't for a Pitta drop, a Waller drop, we would have won. Pitta also failed to sit in a zone Flacco realized the Steelers were in pre snap late in the game on third down (resulted in a field goal).  The key denominator in both of these games for the defense was Jimmy Smith was out (in first half against OBJ, out for the second half). We need him to be healthy as he is a crucial piece to our defense. Let's help the defensive secondary with our first pick with the best way to defend the pass....a pass rusher!

Thje Giants game - plus the Raiders game, the Eagles game and the Pittsburgh game. All three games the O put the D into the position where all they had to do was stopping the opponent's O "one more time" to march down the field and score. And all three times they failed.

(The Eagles game is somewhat different of course, where it was Flacco's flagrant mistake that put the Eagles in a position to start that march down the field the first place - but then the D was unable to stop it... And, if they don't elect to go for 2 instead of a simple PAT, a well-won game would have, in all probability, gone to overtime...)

Edited by bioLarzen

All we need now is a good quarterback. And going by ship for that game in GB is similar to staying in Calif for a week between games a few years back. We all saw how that went. You get in a plane, you get there quick. You get on a ship and you just float for days. Who is making these decisions?

4 minutes ago, drillem said:

All we need now is a good quarterback. And going by ship for that game in GB is similar to staying in Calif for a week between games a few years back. We all saw how that went. You get in a plane, you get there quick. You get on a ship and you just float for days. Who is making these decisions?

Well... sorry to have to break it to you, but...

1.) we already have a good QB - one that played rather poorly at stretches of last season - but not a bad QB by any measure;

2.) I'm afraid you've been fooled. That ship-thing was an April's fool prank.

Edited by bioLarzen

I know that we have a lot of slightly above average RBs but if the Ravens draft a gamebreaking RB like a Dalvin Cook, Ravens will be really good. Build from the inside out, plus we already have the pieces to have a great run game (stout linemen, great defense, WR that stretch the field, Greg Roman). If the first round pick is used on a WR, that makes us more unidimensional.

I see a lot of resemblance between the SB offense we had. We are only missing a Ray Rice-type RB and Anquan-type receiver on the team

Edited by Orange_Peanut

I know that we have a lot of slightly above average RBs but if the Ravens draft a gamebreaking RB like a Dalvin Cook, Ravens will be really good. Build from the inside out, plus we already have the pieces to have a great run game (stout linemen, great defense, WR that stretch the field, Greg Roman). If the first round pick is used on a WR, that makes us more unidimensional.

I see a lot of resemblance between the SB offense we had. We are only missing a Ray Rice-type RB and Anquan-type receiver on the team

Plus a Birk-caliber C, a KO-type LG and a Ray Lewis-Ed Reed-Birk-Boldin type locker room leadership ;)

1 hour ago, drillem said:

1.) we already have a good QB - one that played rather poorly at stretches of last season - but not a bad QB by any measure;

Sorry to break it to YOU! No, the Ravens do NOT have a good QB. PJ's living quite famously off a wing and a prayer heave, botched by the safety. A lifetime QB rating of 84% for a ten year starter is AWFUL! You can see how bad Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John have been since Lewis retired. You can make every excuse in the book you want for these two, but it doesn't change the facts.

26 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

Plus a Birk-caliber C, a KO-type LG and a Ray Lewis-Ed Reed-Birk-Boldin type locker room leadership ;)

KO was not the same KO that we know today, he was above average at best because he was hurt all the time, so Urschel is comparable. Jensen is an average center but it should work out. Worse comes to worst, put Jensen at G and Urschel at C.

The leadership will never be at that level, but Weddle and Suggs are doing a pretty darn good job in my opinion. The addition of Jefferson will also boost the confidence and swagger of the secondary. CJ is another up-and-coming guy after he takes Correa under his wing. My gut feeling also tells me that Dumervil returns. Flacco, Yanda and a grown-up Wallace will take on the leadership roles on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by Orange_Peanut

obviously you certainly don't know the difference, We have a very Good Quarterback.

The Ship thing probably was a joke however based on your opinions I stick with what they decide.

1 hour ago, bioLarzen said:

Sorry to break it to YOU! No, the Ravens do NOT have a good QB. PJ's living quite famously off a wing and a prayer heave, botched by the safety. A lifetime QB rating of 84% for a ten year starter is AWFUL! You can see how bad Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John have been since Lewis retired. You can make every excuse in the book you want for these two, but it doesn't change the facts.

I guess 24 TDs and 4 ints in the playoffs since 2010 isn't good. And blaming the best postseason of all time on one play is ridiculous. Did you forget about the special teams giving up 2 TDs in that game, or the other 10 TD passes Joe threw? How about the fact that he would've been in consecutive SBs if Lee Evans could catch? Qb rating doesn't take into account pass protection or playmakers, so that's not a valid argument. Look at our top receivers since Ray Lewis retired, and look how they play without Joe. In 2013, it was Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown. Torrey has done nothing in SF, and is Marlon even in the league anymore? In 2014, we got SSS, who only had about 700 yards in his final season in CAR, and he had over 1,000 yd s with Flacco, who was once again the best postseason qb, but our injury depleted secondary couldn't hold 2 14 point leads. In 2015, every skill player on offense got injured. Last year, we brought in Mike Wallace, who was not productive at all in Minn, but he also had a resurgent year with Joe. EVERY qb needs a good supporting cast to win.

1 hour ago, bioLarzen said:

I do hope you know that you are the only one who knows what the nickname that you have given Joe stands for. PJ? I would also like to inform you that QBR is NOT a percentage. Matt Stafford Steve Mcnair, Matt Hasselbeck, Troy Aikman, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, Dan Fouts, John Elway, Bernie Kosar, Fran Tarkington, Otto Grahm, Drew Bledsoe Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Johnny Unitas, and Phil Simms all have QBRs lower than Joes. Directly above him is Jim Kelly 84.39, Brett Favre 86, and Dan Marino 86.38. It is quite clear that you have very little idea of what QBR is and have absolutely no idea how it is calculated. I am not saying that Joe is better or worse than any of the guys I have mentioned. I am saying that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I know that we have a lot of slightly above average RBs but if the Ravens draft a gamebreaking RB like a Dalvin Cook, Ravens will be really good. Build from the inside out, plus we already have the pieces to have a great run game
(stout linemen, great defense, WR that stretch the field). If the first round pick is used on a WR, that makes us more unidimensional.

I think you have a decent point. if Cook is there with the likes of the lower edge, WR, Cb players I think he is a good pick for the Ravens at 16.

The biggest factor is can he start and carry the Ravens as a rookie in the NFL. I just don't have the information to know that. I would say that only the top decision makers will have to decide that.

If the Ravens do not take a RB early, I think they should consider someone like Hightower or maybe Hillman in FA. A relatively inexpensive vet, downhill, big guy who can bust into a D line and hopefully get some first downs.

I'm just not sure about West yet. He did ok but he needed Dixon to spread the load. He seemed to have trouble with 2nd down, or better put, back to back running plays. With Dixon out, Woodhead will be called on. I really like Woodhead, but he is also not that downhill- bust into the line- type of RB.

As far as WR I'm a little less worried, though I think the Ravens pick up at least one WR in the draft and another veteran FA. If the Ravens can get the running game in gear, I think we see Perriman and Wallace both break 1000 yds each. With Pitta, Woodhead, Dixon all around 500. Joe will be right around the 4000 mark once again but he should improve rating, TD and completion ratios.

33 minutes ago, bioLarzen said:

KO was not the same KO that we know today, he was above average at best because he was hurt all the time, so Urschel is comparable. Jensen is an average center but it should work out. Worse comes to worst, put Jensen at G and Urschel at C.

The leadership will never be at that level, but Weddle and Suggs are doing a pretty darn good job in my opinion. The addition of Jefferson will also boost the confidence and swagger of the secondary. CJ is another up-and-coming guy after he takes Correa under his wing. My gut feeling also tells me that Dumervil returns. Flacco, Yanda and a grown-up Wallace will take on the leadership roles on the offensive side of the ball.

KO has missed only 14 games in 5 seasons which really isnt a terrible number. Urschel is not comparable and quite frankly not even close to comparable. And neither is Jensen but I think he has a better chance to start than Urschel does at this point. We will draft some interior guys and hopefully they will be able to beat out those guys.

51 minutes ago, 20306cab said:

I agree with bigcat that you don't know the difference between a good qb and a bad qb.  If you think qb rating determines good and bad you are sadly mistaken. QB rating is far from the be all end all.  Flacco has the best won lost record for any qb in away games in the playoffs and he is clutch.  If our defense could have made those stops we would have been in the playoffs and most likely the championship game again.  

he had a down year this year, mostly due to his brace.  He will be back next season and so will the Ravens.

26 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

obviously you certainly don't know the difference, We have a very Good Quarterback.

The Ship thing probably was a joke however based on your opinions I stick with what they decide.

2 hours ago, Orange_Peanut said:

I know that we have a lot of slightly above average RBs but if the Ravens draft a gamebreaking RB like a Dalvin Cook, Ravens will be really good. Build from the inside out, plus we already have the pieces to have a great run game
(stout linemen, great defense, WR that stretch the field). If the first round pick is used on a WR, that makes us more unidimensional.

I think you have a decent point. if Cook is there with the likes of the lower edge, WR, Cb players I think he is a good pick for the Ravens at 16.

The biggest factor is can he start and carry the Ravens as a rookie in the NFL. I just don't have the information to know that. I would say that only the top decision makers will have to decide that.

If the Ravens do not take a RB early, I think they should consider someone like Hightower or maybe Hillman in FA. A relatively inexpensive vet, downhill, big guy who can bust into a D line and hopefully get some first downs.

I'm just not sure about West yet. He did ok but he needed Dixon to spread the load. He seemed to have trouble with 2nd down, or better put, back to back running plays. With Dixon out, Woodhead will be called on. I really like Woodhead, but he is also not that downhill- bust into the line- type of RB.

As far as WR I'm a little less worried, though I think the Ravens pick up at least one WR in the draft and another veteran FA. If the Ravens can get the running game in gear, I think we see Perriman and Wallace both break 1000 yds each. With Pitta, Woodhead, Dixon all around 500. Joe will be right around the 4000 mark once again but he should improve rating, TD and completion ratios.

If they draft Cook, then they probably will cut somebody. I don't see how they will carry 4 RBs. But honestly, l think we need more of a passrusher or Wr in the 1st and a corner between the 2nd or 3rd round. I don't want to see Ozzie wait into the 4th round and draft a corner when mostly all of those talent corners will be gone by then.

2 hours ago, bioLarzen said:
  2 hours ago, drillem said:

"A lifetime rating of 84 is AWFUL."

Sorry to break it to you but numbers aren't everything. Jim Kelly's career rating was 84. Dan Marino's career rating was just 2 points higher at 86. Both of them are in the Hall of Fame.

5 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

I missed the prank,but how do you get to GB by boat anyway

Said it many times and will do so one more time...they need a legit. D lineman who can not only pressure the QB but be able to handle an O lineman. It's tough for a LB to get around an O lineman who weighs 50-75 lbs more. Oh, and one other thing...draft someone who will be able to get and stay on the field and not just be a paper player.

4 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

Urschel comparable to KO??? Do you really believe that?

Cannot throw our Defense under the bus like that! The Offense left them hangin in several games so I'm not buying this not at all! Every position on this team is being thrown under the bus except one! Smh whom next the water boy?! Our Defense isn't like that of the past but all teams are giving up leads but their QB gets it back just like brady just did in the Super Bowl!

The defense is why we actually won some games last year. We fell apart at the end on defense due to a lack of depth at Pass Rusher and CB. Our offense was Turrible (Charles Barkley Voice) in almost every game we played. So much garbage time catch up.

6 hours ago, 20306cab said:
  7 hours ago, bioLarzen said:
  7 hours ago, drillem said:

"A lifetime rating of 84 is AWFUL."

Sorry to break it to you but numbers aren't everything. Jim Kelly's career rating was 84. Dan Marino's career rating was just 2 points higher at 86. Both of them are in the Hall of Fame.

In today's pass happy game an 84 QB rating is below average. Flacco has been a below average Regular season QB with stacked talent around him. He somehow always plays his best ball in January.

I still believe that we don't have the right offensive system for Flacco. It all started with the SB run where we somehow thought he would turn into Tom Brady because he had some stupid numbers in the 2012 postseason. We need a run heavy attack. Kubiak was awesome. We need someone like Kubiak or Shanahan to run our offense. Problem is, these guys get HC gigs fast.

Remember when we only scored 10 points against the Redskins at home? That was embarrassing. The Redskins defense has been bad for the last 20 years.

6 hours ago, 20306cab said:
  7 hours ago, bioLarzen said:
  7 hours ago, drillem said:

I guess 24 TDs and 4 ints in the playoffs since 2010 isn't good. And blaming the best postseason of all time on one play is ridiculous. Did you forget about the special teams giving up 2 TDs in that game, or the other 10 TD passes Joe threw? How about the fact that he would've been in consecutive SBs if Lee Evans could catch? Qb rating doesn't take into account pass protection or playmakers, so that's not a valid argument. Look at our top receivers since Ray Lewis retired, and look how they play without Joe. In 2013, it was Torrey Smith and Marlon Brown. Torrey has done nothing in SF, and is Marlon even in the league anymore? In 2014, we got SSS, who only had about 700 yards in his final season in CAR, and he had over 1,000 yd s with Flacco, who was once again the best postseason qb, but our injury depleted secondary couldn't hold 2 14 point leads. In 2015, every skill player on offense got injured. Last year, we brought in Mike Wallace, who was not productive at all in Minn, but he also had a resurgent year with Joe. EVERY qb needs a good supporting cast to win.

People also forget how good Ray Rice was. It's a shame he was blackballed by the NFL and the Ravens.

Ya John, our Defense let us down a few times but they were on the field for 45 out of the 60 minutes played and exhausted. Offense has to stay on the field long enough for the defense to get a breather.

9 hours ago, bioLarzen said:

I missed the prank,but how do you get to GB by boat anyway

Well, you can if you want - but it's not too practical :)

7 hours ago, Orange_Peanut said:

KO was not the same KO that we know today, he was above average at best because he was hurt all the time.

KO hurt all the time? He played in all 16 games in the season in question...

(and yes, he missed half the season the next year - but he had a grand total of 4 missed game since... "hurt all the time"?)

As for Urschel... He's been overtaken in the depth chart by a rookie (Lewis) and a lifetime journeyman (Ducasse)... Do you really think this is comparable to KO?

Remember this: if a player is known in the NFL for any other thing than his play - for example that he is a maths wiz - then he's not really a great player...

Edited by bioLarzen