letitgosometimes

How will the Ravens lift the weight of "8 and 8"?

78 posts in this topic

"8 and 8" is a collar around the Ravens' neck going into this fall 2017 season.  How will the Ravens break their pattern of 8-8 level of football?  The answer starts at the top with wholesale changes.  If you coach the same, you get the same results on the field.       

Considering we've only gone 8-8 twice in the last 9 years I'm not worried about an 8-8 "collar"

Let me make it easier for you to understand, Ross.  The "8-8" stigma is code for "Average Team".  So, the concern stands: when will the Ravens break the pattern of being "average" in the NFL?  

According to sporttrac Flacco's cap hit this year is $24.5 mil. If we could get some of that back to help fix the O-line and our offense, we could do better the an 8-8 team.... 

25 minutes ago, Underdogsontop! said:

According to sporttrac Flacco's cap hit this year is $24.5 mil. If we could get some of that back to help fix the O-line and our offense, we could do better the an 8-8 team.... 

Except the reason for that is that for the first 3 years of his post super bowl contract his cap hits were 6M 14M and 14M.  The numbers that were being put off are finally owe for now which is why his actual salary this year is only 6M.

Ignoring that,  every option in FA at RT suffers from not being very good so your idea is flawed in multiple levels 

18 minutes ago, Adreme said:

Except the reason for that is that for the first 3 years of his post super bowl contract his cap hits were 6M 14M and 14M.  The numbers that were being put off are finally owe for now which is why his actual salary this year is only 6M.

Ignoring that,  every option in FA at RT suffers from not being very good so your idea is flawed in multiple levels 

My idea is flawed on multiple levels? His salary base is 6mil not inclueding his bonuses. So his total cap hit is $24.5mil for 2017. Look it up before you accuse people of flaws. I personally think the OT in this years draft is not strong at all. There's a lot more options that could be had if there was more $ available with the salary cap. We could make a trade, wait till cuts are made. There's obviously a lot more options if we had more money to play with rather then sit in this situation. Better qb's are getting paid less. Bottom line we need to get this running game up and running. We need to protect flacco.  $ is the problem right now if you take a look at the salary cap. No sense paying flacco big $ if he's on his back in the game or IR right? Now give me my neg. lol

Edited by Underdogsontop!

5 minutes ago, Underdogsontop! said:

My idea is flawed on multiple levels? His salary base is 6mil not inclueding his bonuses. So his total cap hit is $24.5mil for 2017. Look it up before you accuse people of flaws. I personally think the OT in this years draft is not strong at all. There's a lot more options that could be had if there was more $ available with the salary cap. We could make a trade, wait till cuts are made. There's obviously a lot more options if we had more money to play with rather then sit in this situation. Better qb's are getting paid less. Bottom line we need to get this running game up and running and need to protect flacco and then $ is the problem right now if you take a look at the salary cap. 

We've made a pretty big splash in free agency this year - what would we do with extra cap space at this point? Who's on the market that we would want to throw money / long-term deals at?

Just now, rossihunter2 said:

We've made a pretty big splash in free agency this year - what would we do with extra cap space at this point? Who's on the market that we would want to throw money / long-term deals at?

All the splashes were defense... OK so we are set at O line with the loss of Wagner?  Our O line was weak as heck last season already. 

1 minute ago, Underdogsontop! said:

All the splashes were defense... OK so we are set at O line with the loss of Wagner?  Our O line was weak as heck last season already. 

I think Ross meant if we do have Flacco take a pay cut this year then what FAs would actually be a surefire way of fixing the O-line. As in where would the money from Flacco's cut go.

11 minutes ago, Underdogsontop! said:

My idea is flawed on multiple levels? His salary base is 6mil not inclueding his bonuses. So his total cap hit is $24.5mil for 2017. Look it up before you accuse people of flaws. I personally think the OT in this years draft is not strong at all. There's a lot more options that could be had if there was more $ available with the salary cap. We could make a trade, wait till cuts are made. There's obviously a lot more options if we had more money to play with rather then sit in this situation. Better qb's are getting paid less. Bottom line we need to get this running game up and running and need to protect flacco and then $ is the problem right now if you take a look at the salary cap. 

underdawg the postas here doan realy understan the cap and cap hit. they jus doan and say figurs that are off by milions. we culd stil trade joe this yr but we signd guys that make gettin betta off that trad harder.  joe is a good guy but he is a mediogre qb cept for those 4 weeks in 2012

1 hour ago, Underdogsontop! said:

yah and a late trade wuld work to nevah wanted clevelands 1st this yr. want it next 2. regardin betta than 8 -8 doan think pitsburg was that good and cant see what gets us betta. 8-8 wuld be a good yr

Edited by RayRayRaven

3 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

underdawg the postas here doan realy understan the cap and cap hit. they jus doan and say figurs that are off by milions. we culd stil trade joe this yr but we signd guys that make gettin betta off that trad harder.  joe is a good guy but he is a mediogre qb cept for those 4 weeks in 2012

i argee. trad joe hes ogre qb. dey shuld of lefft him at da swomp. wut wii do w/o rayray

1 minute ago, purpletide said:

i argee. trad joe hes ogre qb. dey shuld of lefft him at da swomp. wut wii do w/o rayray

Your username should be Dolan Pls

5 hours ago, Underdogsontop! said:

My idea is flawed on multiple levels? His salary base is 6mil not inclueding his bonuses. So his total cap hit is $24.5mil for 2017. Look it up before you accuse people of flaws. I personally think the OT in this years draft is not strong at all. There's a lot more options that could be had if there was more $ available with the salary cap. We could make a trade, wait till cuts are made. There's obviously a lot more options if we had more money to play with rather then sit in this situation. Better qb's are getting paid less. Bottom line we need to get this running game up and running. We need to protect flacco.  $ is the problem right now if you take a look at the salary cap. No sense paying flacco big $ if he's on his back in the game or IR right? Now give me my neg. lol

You do not understand how bonuses work thats why when people say he is getting 6M this year that is what he is getting.  his cap hit is 24M but thats because of those first 3 years you delayed the cap hits until now when its time to pay them up, there is no reason to delay them any further when there is nothing left to get in FA.

5 hours ago, Underdogsontop! said:

The problem is the FA options are WORSE.  The free agent options at RT at the moment all suffer from not being very good at RT.  The Ravens have enough cap space to grab whoever they want they just are not good enough to be worth grabbing.

5 hours ago, RayRayRaven said:

I honestly dont think you understand how NFL trades work.  If they traded him it would be effectively be the same as cutting him for cap purposes and I believe that would give the Ravens cap hits of 46M this year and around 30M next year (someone can probably check those numbers I am less sure on them).   I mean you could do it but the result is going to put you over the cap so a lot of talented players are going to have to be cut to get under the cap number for the year. and also next year you might as well forget about trying to sign anyone.

Continuing to reply to the mindless posts doesn't help and the dude is ruining just about every thread now. Might as well just shut the boards down now. 

5 hours ago, Adreme said:

I honestly dont think you understand how NFL trades work.  If they traded him it would be effectively be the same as cutting him for cap purposes and I believe that would give the Ravens cap hits of 46M this year and around 30M next year (someone can probably check those numbers I am less sure on them).   I mean you could do it but the result is going to put you over the cap so a lot of talented players are going to have to be cut to get under the cap number for the year. and also next year you might as well forget about trying to sign anyone.

in da end u have to ask arer we closer to the superbowl or closer to a reboot. as we are today which way are we headin. when u have ur direction u can say betta or worse than 8-8. when I look at are rosta I doan see a superbowl any wheres near on the hoarison. I see a rosta of ovah draffed playas many of who r at best useful but not differenc makers and that's why I say 8-8 wuld be a good record. compared to 2010 to 2012 rostas we hav crashed an burned.  so which way are we headin? now bout the cap hit of tradin joe you are not factorin the salary we doan have to pay. let me ask u this. if u say the joe cap is 47 mil now when is the joe cap 24 mil?  and ya I wuld trade joe for that joe cap hit in a ny m inute wich is 2 secons. becuz its part of the comprehensuv plan. is there pain yah there is but sweet lemonaid comes from sour lemons. if u can answer that one than u know

3 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

in da end u have to ask arer we closer to the superbowl or closer to a reboot. as we are today which way are we headin. when u have ur direction u can say betta or worse than 8-8. when I look at are rosta I doan see a superbowl any wheres near on the hoarison. I see a rosta of ovah draffed playas many of who r at best useful but not differenc makers and that's why I say 8-8 wuld be a good record. compared to 2010 to 2012 rostas we hav crashed an burned.  so which way are we headin? now bout the cap hit of tradin joe you are not factorin the salary we doan have to pay. let me ask u this. if u say the joe cap is 47 mil now when is the joe cap 24 mil?  and ya I wuld trade joe for that joe cap hit in a ny m inute wich is 2 secons. becuz its part of the comprehensuv plan. is there pain yah there is but sweet lemonaid comes from sour lemons. if u can answer that one than u know

The flacco cap hit is 24 mill now - that only changes if you trade him - then it's 47 mill

if you get rid of Joe you have to find a starting qb for negative 23 million dollars which is impossible

10 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

The flacco cap hit is 24 mill now - that only changes if you trade him - then it's 47 mill

if you get rid of Joe you have to find a starting qb for negative 23 million dollars which is impossible

the comprehensuv plan involve startin mallet. timin is everythin. the plan involve the numba 1 selection in 2018, not this yr and multiple numba 1 pics the joe cap hit wil not be 47 mil but time is runnin out  not tellin the board tryin to let the board tell me jus ask urselfs when is the joe cap lower?

29 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

the comprehensuv plan involve startin mallet. timin is everythin. the plan involve the numba 1 selection in 2018, not this yr and multiple numba 1 pics the joe cap hit wil not be 47 mil but time is runnin out  not tellin the board tryin to let the board tell me jus ask urselfs when is the joe cap lower?

First off, Mallet is not a better QB.  Secondly, your plan is to go from a playoff level team to tanking the next 2 years when the Ravens already have a pretty young core of players?  You plan things badly and should stop making plans.

2 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

Continuing to reply to the mindless posts doesn't help and the dude is ruining just about every thread now. Might as well just shut the boards down now. 

tank u know when u talk bout betta than 8-8 in the nfl ur talkin playoffs sereous r u seeing that?  whut do u see when you look at r rosta? been tryin to tell  whut I see i see a rosta all bout joe flacco i see a rosta poissoned by hopefull wishin. theres plenty i did not want to part iwth. i was all bout keepin haloti an osemele an wagner an othas  but afta what joe showed in 2013 and 2015 and evry yr but them 4 wintar weeks in 2012 wuld you have resign him when he was bout to play out his deal? not me not in a milion yrs.  and heres the thing if u've hitched ur wagon to the wrong star do u really let that rope drag u down or do u cut it an make somethin good outta it that restrucsure was way outta line

55 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

If you want to trade Flacco, then go play Madden where you can do what you want with the franchise. 

36 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

tank u know when u talk bout betta than 8-8 in the nfl ur talkin playoffs sereous r u seeing that?  whut do u see when you look at r rosta? been tryin to tell  whut I see i see a rosta all bout joe flacco i see a rosta poissoned by hopefull wishin. theres plenty i did not want to part iwth. i was all bout keepin haloti an osemele an wagner an othas  but afta what joe showed in 2013 and 2015 and evry yr but them 4 wintar weeks in 2012 wuld you have resign him when he was bout to play out his deal? not me not in a milion yrs.  and heres the thing if u've hitched ur wagon to the wrong star do u really let that rope drag u down or do u cut it an make somethin good outta it that restrucsure was way outta line

Don't bother, I can't read this.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:06 PM, letitgosometimes said:

"8 and 8" is a collar around the Ravens' neck going into this fall 2017 season.  How will the Ravens break their pattern of 8-8 level of football?  The answer starts at the top with wholesale changes.  If you coach the same, you get the same results on the field.       

Shutting down the team's official message boards?

To get away from the "average" moniker that has surrounded this team, for the past couple years is for Flacco to simply play better during the regular season.

2 hours ago, Ravens4Real said:

To get away from the "average" moniker that has surrounded this team, for the past couple years is for Flacco to simply play better during the regular season.

And for that to happen we need consistent blocking, better YPA on runs, better WR separation and less drops overall , and not constant turnover with OC and philosophy.

2 hours ago, OUravensfan said:

Shutting down the team's official message boards?

That should work. Oh, and more Eisenburg editorials.

Oh I dunno, maybe go out and get a top 5 ranked S to replace the 17th ranked. Maybe pick up the 11th ranked corner to replace the outgoing 35th ranked, replacing the OL coach that was ranked near the bottom with a coach that was in the top 5? Etc....