BR News

[News] Mayock Names Cornerbacks Who Ravens Could Target On Day 2 Of NFL Draft

28 posts in this topic

I will be really upset if we don't pounce on a DB in the second or third round of the draft. I hope we're able to grab a WR or pass rusher with our 1 pick if not RB is the top guy is there.

I will be really upset if we don't pounce on a DB in the second or third round of the draft. I hope we're able to grab a WR or pass rusher with our 1 pick if not RB is the top guy is there.

Yeah me too. Since Sidney Jones is injured, the best guy l hope for the Ravens to get is Desmond King. He's a physical corner and got ball skills and also could help the KR and PR duty. I hope he falls to the second round because if he does, l would like the Ravens to trade up and get him. Perfect second round pick but he could also be drafted like the end of the 1st round though because the Cowboys need corner help. Darn. I hope we get either Mike Williams/Barnett with our 1st pick.

I don't see the logic in picking a WR or a RB in the first round with all the holes the Ravens have on the offensive line. Best to build the defense & Special teams for the future maybe they can start scoring TD again.

IDK, I'm starting to think we won't take a WR or a Corner in the 1st round. A DB possibly. Of course, it all depends a lot on how the board works out during the draft but I believe we'll start with a stud for our O line, be it a Center or Guard. Could even be a RB if a top flight guy is there at 16. I know it's not a sexy pick but if nothing else, my guess is probably as good as any.

I don't see the logic in picking a WR or a RB in the first round with all the holes the Ravens have on the offensive line. Best to build the defense & Special teams for the future maybe they can start scoring TD again.

I agree but this is a weak year for OL in the draft. You don't pass on Mike Williams because your lacking a right tackle.

I believe that we will - there is a lot of depth at the CB position in this years draft... but we also have a lot of needs. I do think the offense could get a lot of love in the early part of the draft and I believe that if a Dalvin Cook or a Cam Robinson is still there at 16 we may just take them.

But if not... I can see our draft addressing pass rushers... corners ...wide receivers and OLmen

Below is what I would love to see (or something similar)

Round 1. Takkarist McKinley - OLB- UCLA
(great athlete- great speed and big frame and can get after the QB)

Round 2. Tre Davious White- CB- LSU
(I think he is the most under rated CB in his deep class)

Round 3. Sid Jones- CB- Washington
(If he is still there we have to take him... nice cornerstone for the future)

Round 3. De De Westbrook- WR- Oklahoma
(his draft stock has dropped but may be the best pure playmaker in the draft... he is a steal in round 3)

Round 4. Zach Banner- OT / OG - USC
(He is a giant guy at 6'8 353 and can play G or compete for Wagners position and with Greg Roman here... Banner will improve his tech)

Round 5. JJ Dielman- OT Utah
(6'5 310 and a better athlete then Banner - he will compete for both a G or Wagners position- physical and nasty and ideal in Romans system)

Round 6. Speedy Knoll- WR- Texas A&M
(the playmaker in the slot that we are looking for. Undersized but plays with an attitude... maybe the perfect replacement for SSS)

14 minutes ago, steelcityraven said:

In the third?  Wasn't he talked about as a first rounder

18 minutes ago, steelcityraven said:

In the third?  Wasn't he talked about as a first rounder

Until his injury he was, now it will be who is willing to try for a guy who is injured and red shirt him the first year and then have him ready come his sophomore year. I could see someone grabbing him late 2nd early third. However, Teez Tabor has dropped down the draft list and was a day 1 guy, now listed as a day two. I don't know whether it is a good thing he will be there on round 2 or a bad thing he keeps dropping and is he a risk?

2 minutes ago, fusuymada said:

Until his injury he was, now it will be who is willing to try for a guy who is injured and red shirt him the first year and then have him ready come his sophomore year. I could see someone grabbing him late 2nd early third. However, Teez Tabor has dropped down the draft list and was a day 1 guy, now listed as a day two. I don't know whether it is a good thing he will be there on round 2 or a bad thing he keeps dropping and is he a risk?

What injury did he have? 

Just take the guy with the highest ceiling. We don't need him to start day 1 so we can be patient as he matures. It would be awesome to one day have two top 10 cbs on this team

21 minutes ago, fusuymada said:

What injury did he have? 

Achilles tendon.

18 minutes ago, Halshayeji said:

Just take the guy with the highest ceiling. We don't need him to start day 1 so we can be patient as he matures. It would be awesome to one day have two top 10 cbs on this team

I still would like the draft corner to contribute though. Let him rotate into the secondary with Young.

Edited by hen826957

Just now, hen826957 said:

I still would like the draft corner to contribute though. Let him rotate in the secondary with Young.

Oh he better contribute lol

its just that he won't need to cover #1 WRs anytime soon. Even if J.Smith gets hurt Carr will play 1 and rookie 2 with young killing at slot.

2 hours ago, Space11jams said:

I believe that we will - there is a lot of depth at the CB position in this years draft... but we also have a lot of needs. I do think the offense could get a lot of love in the early part of the draft and I believe that if a Dalvin Cook or a Cam Robinson is still there at 16 we may just take them.

But if not... I can see our draft addressing pass rushers... corners ...wide receivers and OLmen

(his draft stock has dropped but may be the best pure playmaker in the draft... he is a steal in round 3)

(He is a giant guy at 6'8 353 and can play G or compete for Wagners position and with Greg Roman here... Banner will improve his tech)

(6'5 310 and a better athlete then Banner - he will compete for both a G or Wagners position- physical and nasty and ideal in Romans system)

(the playmaker in the slot that we are looking for. Undersized but plays with an attitude... maybe the perfect replacement for SSS)

I wouldn't mind if we took Desmond King in the second and then Sidney Jones in the third. That would be sweet. 👍

Sidney Jones will be gone by the 3rd round, one way or another. Nice thought, but utterly in vain.

Probably but it's nice to think about. 👍

Whoever we choose, my only wish is that we get defensive players in round 1-2-3 (but at least 1-2). We have seen now what happens if our historically defensive team tries to thrive on the other side of the ball (results were not awful all the time, but its just was not "Us"). This year practically all experts say: its a special D stacked draft. We should not miss out. Its crystal clear now we are still thin on OL and WR, and we should do our best to fill those gaps, but without spending the first few rounds.

This could be a year where we solidify our already dominant D again for a significant period. Then we can build on this in the upcoming years: on our foundation, on our True Identity. Lets have a rock solid D, even at a cost of a mediocre O, lets improve the latter while having the earlier (and not the other way around). This is our recipe! We have seen it working!

I know sentences with "if", but I still wish we had our essential building block called D# when SSS came to us...

round 1 WR/LB
round 2 OL
round 3 OL
round 3 CB
round 4 WR/RB
round 5 OL
round 6 DL
but i also expect ozzie to make a trade and get a 4th or 5th rounder because there will be a CB there that he covets or a LB

1 hour ago, Ravenous_Ravens said:

Sidney Jones will be gone by the 3rd round, one way or another. Nice thought, but utterly in vain.

Depends how much time he will miss. If he will miss most of the 2017 season him going in the third round is very reasonable, especially with so many other quality defensive backs available in the draft.

After seeing what has been lost on the offensive line, if we don't replace within the first three rounds, Joe will be constantly on his back. Our running attack would
become non-existent. We need big boys on the line. Pocic, Moton, Robinson, Bisnowaty, Feeney, Lamp, etc.Let's move back in the first and collect a second
#2 pick. Pick offensive line #1, with our first #2 pick draft a DB. The second #2
pick can be a receiver. In the third our first #3 go pass rusher. The comp#3 pick,
we can draft another offensive lineman. Picks #4-6 go defense.

4 hours ago, Space11jams said:

McKinley is out 5-6 months with major shoulder surgery and will miss all of training camp, pre-season, etc.

Sidney Jones is talented but very, very few CB ever come back from an Achilles injury (see Dee Milliner)

Dede has domestic violence past - Will NOT draft per Owner Stevie B

Banner is not an NFL o-lineman - he's big but is so slow, he couldn't make it to the 2nd level to take on mediocre college LBers.

I would love to see:

1. Derek Barnett/Cam Robinson/Cook/Ross
2. CB White (I agree..underrated),Adoree/WR JuJu, Zay
3. S Desmond King, Marcus Williams/CB Moreau, Tankersley
3. RB D'Onta Foreman/WR Malachi Dupree/C Ethan Pocic
4. LB Duke Riley, Elijah Lee/C Tyler Orlosky/TE Jordan Leggett
5. T Julie'N Davenport/ILB Jaylen Reeves-Maybin/WR Speedy Noil
6. RB TJ Logan, Donnell Pumphrey/DT DeAngelo Brown
7. QB Brady Gustafson

Some combo of WR, CB, & DE (pass rusher) seem to be our first 3 rounds.

CB, C/G/T, WR, OLB or DE in any order but I don't see the Ravens waiting until 4th pick for a Center/G/T O line strength.
I see the one of 2 top Centers looking very good for the Ravens this year. Elflein and Pocic can play multiple O-line positions with specialty at Center. so most likely I see that pick comes in at 48 or 80.

Even a RB or Safety is in the picture within the top 100. But I can see them waiting late.

Its really going to interesting to see how the picks shape up. Good thing is that it looks like the Ravens will have some nice choices in each round. Lets hope so.

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM, Crusader said:

I agree but this is a weak year for OL in the draft. You don't pass on Mike Williams because your lacking a right tackle.

It's going to be a tactical decision. Mike might not be at 16 but John Ross could be. I wish Hooker is still there but it's a dream.

want one of the 6 ft. cb's

Awuzie looks really versatile and underrated. Tough kid that can play inside and outside. I think that would be a terrific 2nd round pick if he's still there. Though I'm really hoping we Ju Ju Smith in the 2nd if we don't take a wr in the first.
There are about 4 positions I wish we would go between the first and second round which is tough- Pass Rush, Wr, CB, and Center
I would love it if we traded up in the second round to take at least 2 2nd round picks. Especially considering at least half of the second rounders this year would normally go in the first in most drafts. I really don't think there's much of a drop off between picks 20-50 or 60 this year.
Here are 4 names. I really hope we draft at least 2 of them
Ju Ju Smith
Chidobe Awuzie
Ethan Pocic
Barnett

3 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Awuzie looks really versatile and underrated. Tough kid that can play inside and outside. I think that would be a terrific 2nd round pick if he's still there. Though I'm really hoping we Ju Ju Smith in the 2nd if we don't take a wr in the first.
There are about 4 positions I wish we would go between the first and second round which is tough- Pass Rush, Wr, CB, and Center
I would love it if we traded up in the second round to take at least 2 2nd round picks. Especially considering at least half of the second rounders this year would normally go in the first in most drafts. I really don't think there's much of a drop off between picks 20-50 or 60 this year.
Here are 4 names. I really hope we draft at least 2 of them
Ju Ju Smith
Chidobe Awuzie
Ethan Pocic
Barnett

unfortunately i see ozzie trading back to hoard more picks but it would be nice to see him stay put