BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/20: Free-Agent Market Heating Up For Kamar Aiken

62 posts in this topic

Brandon Carr’s contract is looking like a one-year ‘prove it’ deal. Unlikely, but not crazy, for Ravens to pursue Adrian Peterson … in May. Harbaughs sound off on firing of brother-in-law Tom Crean. Shocker: Ben Roethlisberger ‘leaning toward’ playing in 2017.

View the full article

no its not crazy to pursue A.Peterson or L.Blount. But it's crazy to hold t.west hostage until we figure it out. Teams are filling up their rosters and west deserves to make a few visits before he makes up his mind. Just my humble opinion.

Mangold and Clady are the 2 guys I'd love to see in Baltimore ASAP! boyh were rumored to be trade targets last year but it would have been hard to fit them in the cap. This time round we don't need to invest any picks in them and their injuries have dropped their value even more. Seal the deal and let whoever you draft develop untill linemen eventually go down

That awkward moment for Aiken when he slowly begins to realize his role may be biggest on the team he chastised for limiting his role the previous year. 

Id take him but he is not the answer, id also take Boldin but he is not the answer either. Mike Williams is the answer IMO

That awkward moment for Aiken when he slowly begins to realize his role may be biggest on the team he chastised for limiting his role the previous year. 

Id take him but he is not the answer, id also take Boldin but he is not the answer either. Mike Williams is the answer IMO

Aiken or Boldin would work if you can get them to come back for small money. It will be interesting to see what Aiken will get. Boldin on the other hand will likely sign with a team that will offer him the same deal the Lions did last year. One year 2 million.

no its not crazy to pursue A.Peterson or L.Blount. But it's crazy to hold t.west hostage until we figure it out. Teams are filling up their rosters and west deserves to make a few visits before he makes up his mind. Just my humble opinion.

West isn't a FA. He is a RFA and we tendered him. He doesn't have a choice. Regardless of that, letting him go because we pick up A Peterson or L. Blount wouldn't be a good idea (chances are very slim that we pick of either of them). I wouldn't count on either of those to guys to step up and be the feature back. Peterson is no spring chicken and hes only been healthy for 20 games in the last three years which would make signing him a huge risk. I don't see us taking Blount either. He had a career year in 2016 based on yards gained, but he only averaged 3.9 yards a carry. I also don't think John would even consider bring him in because of his attitude. When he played for the Steelers in 2014 the guy went into the locker room before a MNF game had ended because he didn't get any carries during the game. And because of that the Steelers let him go.

43 minutes ago, OUravensfan said:

Aiken or Boldin would work if you can get them to come back for small money. It will be interesting to see what Aiken will get. Boldin on the other hand will likely sign with a team that will offer him the same deal the Lions did last year. One year 2 million.

Again,

1. He made $3.25M last year.

2. He's not going to just go sign with anybody. He will likely stay in Detroit or play somewhere close to home... or for a contender. None of those things gives off "Ravens" in any way.

Still wouldn't mind getting Zach Brown and possibly King Dunlap/Clady. Forget the fifth rounder for Juice next year.

Moot point of course, because we aren't going to pursue either of those guys, nor am I certain they'd want to play for us anyway.

But neither really does much for us. One year stop gap fillers at a position where we don't need a stop gap filler.

I also still don't understand why people think Blount is a good RB...

Withdraw the tender offered to West so the poor chap can find a good landing place if you are considering adding RB either in the draft or getting AP. Its the right thing to do.

Withdraw the tender offered to West so the poor chap can find a good landing place if you are considering adding RB either in the draft or getting AP. Its the right thing to do.

1. We're always looking to add competition at any position, and you don't just cut the guys on your roster just to be nice. I seriously doubt that addition comes in FA though, so it makes no sense to cut West until May at the earliest.

2. Lets not kid ourselves. West isn't going to start for barely anybody. The amount of money he's getting paid by the Ravens this year would almost certainly exceed anything he would get on the open market, because he's simply not a hot commodity. Most teams in the league already have a back with similar or better skill sets than him.

So lets not pretend like he's being hamstrung by anything here.

Aikens not coming back IMO Carr is a great pick up and I like the way his contract is set up AP is a long shot to come here and if he did it would be cool but its still not a fix to the RB problem

1 hour ago, billiejean said:

West isn't a FA. He is a RFA and we tendered him. He doesn't have a choice. Regardless of that, letting him go because we pick up A Peterson or L. Blount wouldn't be a good idea (chances are very slim that we pick of either of them). I wouldn't count on either of those to guys to step up and be the feature back. Peterson is no spring chicken and hes only been healthy for 20 games in the last three years which would make signing him a huge risk. I don't see us taking Blount either. He had a career year in 2016 based on yards gained, but he only averaged 3.9 yards a carry. I also don't think John would even consider bring him in because of his attitude. When he played for the Steelers in 2014 the guy went into the locker room before a MNF game had ended because he didn't get any carries during the game. And because of that the Steelers let him go.

I agree, Peterson is not a great fit in terms of how we'd utilize him but you can't say Peterson is injury prone when we just signed Woodhead who's just as injury prone. Blount is probably not someone Harbs would entertain signing because of his off field mess. But 3.9 yards and 18 TDs is not something you sneeze at. Especially considering so many of those runs were goal line or 3rd and 1 where really he's not expected to gain 10 yards anyways lol. My point was that if we are planning on signing a RB then retract the tender from west now and let him be a FA. It's not fair to the player if we wait until May when no one will sign him for more than the minimum.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Moot point of course, because we aren't going to pursue either of those guys, nor am I certain they'd want to play for us anyway.

But neither really does much for us. One year stop gap fillers at a position where we don't need a stop gap filler.

Maybe because he had 1161 yards,18 TDs and did great in short yard situations. No one is claiming he's the next Jamal Lewis but he'd def help as we often failed to convert on 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal.

i honestly don't understand why you won't even call him a "good" player?

if the tender is retracted from west and we add half a mil to it then we probably land a power back like Blount. Blount carrying the load on short yardage and Woodhead on 3rd downs and slot would be a prity nice one two punch.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Maybe because he had 1161 yards,18 TDs and did great in short yard situations. No one is claiming he's the next Jamal Lewis but he'd def help as we often failed to convert on 3rd and 1 or 1st and goal.

i honestly don't understand why you won't even call him a "good" player?

if the tender is retracted from west and we add half a mil to it then we probably land a power back like Blount. Blount carrying the load on short yardage and Woodhead on 3rd downs and slot would be a prity nice one two punch.

Exactly how I wanted you to respond...

I noticed you only referenced 2016 statistics... any particular reason for this? I mean with good players, you'd expect to see some consistency over an extended period of time.

So why did he only have 6 TDs in 2015? Or 5 in 2014? Or why did he have 18 TDs TOTAL over a three year period of 13-15?

Why has his YPC dropped every single season since 2013? Is that an indication of a good RB? How about his 3.9 YPC in 2016? Is that good or bad? What if I told you that ranked 30th in the NFL for RBs, and it was basically the same as Terrence West's?

What, did he all of the sudden "peak" as a RB at 30 years old?

Or how about this... why don't the Patriots want him back? The guy had 18 TDs last year and the Patriots, with plenty of cap space, don't appear to be interested at all?

Probably because they know what everybody else knows... he's a plodder. You hand the ball to him and he falls forward for 2-3 yards. And in fact, if you actually looked at his "short yardage" numbers, he's not nearly as good at converting as you think he is.

Anybody can be an effective short yardage back with a quality Oline. Justin Forsett was a very good short yardage back when he was here, and nobody even noticed. He was better than Taliaferro, who is much more of a "big bruiser".

Funny how people want to be nice and release guys just because we might (or might not) sign another running back or draft one. It is 6 months until the season starts and people aren't beating the door down to get Terrance West. Actually, when we signed West, there was no one interested after his lack of effort and production in the places he went to. He had some issues with management in Cleveland and though he had a pretty good season for them, they chose to keep Crowell. After that he bounced around until he found a home here, which was good for him. This is a business, this isn't about being nice. West will be given a shot to prove himself regardless of who they sign and I think West would prefer to earn the job here, than be released and try to make his way onto another roster (and trust me he wouldn't get the chances there that he will get here). Needless to say, I think releasing West because its the "nice thing to do" is just straight up poor business in the NFL and no one wins a super bowl by being nice. Ask the Patriots who will go to any extent to cheat to win a super bowl.

1 hour ago, billiejean said:

I agree, Peterson is not a great fit in terms of how we'd utilize him but you can't say Peterson is injury prone when we just signed Woodhead who's just as injury prone. Blount is probably not someone Harbs would entertain signing because of his off field mess. But 3.9 yards and 18 TDs is not something you sneeze at. Especially considering so many of those runs were goal line or 3rd and 1 where really he's not expected to gain 10 yards anyways lol. My point was that if we are planning on signing a RB then retract the tender from west now and let him be a FA. It's not fair to the player if we wait until May when no one will sign him for more than the minimum.

You're also forgetting that if you drop West and add Blount, Blount is your bellcow RB for the first 4 weeks of the year. That's not short yardage RB... that's 15-20 carries a game, expected to get 5+ yards per carry, because that's what you expect of those RBs.

3.9 YPC is something you yawn at... you want to cut West, who is a 3.9 YPC back. Its fringe NFL starter caliber, preferably backup caliber.

Guys who average that over an extended period of time find themselves unemployed very quickly.

8 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

You're also forgetting that if you drop West and add Blount, Blount is your bellcow RB for the first 4 weeks of the year. That's not short yardage RB... that's 15-20 carries a game, expected to get 5+ yards per carry, because that's what you expect of those RBs.

3.9 YPC is something you yawn at... you want to cut West, who is a 3.9 YPC back. Its fringe NFL starter caliber, preferably backup caliber.

Guys who average that over an extended period of time find themselves unemployed very quickly.

5+ yards per carry are pro bowl callibar players. If a player averages over 5 yards a carry in his career then we start talking HOF not splitting carries. We're talking about someone you pay 2 mil for.

i chose 2016 because it's the most rescwnt year

and if you insist, Blount averaged 4.4 yards a carry throughout his career. As I mentioned earlier. 3.9 was a product of so many short runs by design. 

im not gonna talk statistics with you because you will chose the one statistic that you think proves your point and hold on to it for dear life.

instead il ask you a question with the hope that you answer. If you had Blount for the price of west in 2017, is that an upgrade over west or a downgrade? 

1 hour ago, Halshayeji said:

Right I get what you are saying about west but I don't think we would get rid of West even if we did pick up one of those guys. Its not like we have a bunch of quality running backs waiting in the wings. And sure I can say that Peterson (last 3 years he has played 20 out of 48 games) is injury prone, and I can say that Woodhead (last 3 years he has played 21 out of 48 games) is injury prone too. That is a fair point that you made about Blounts production 2016.

Edited by billiejean

27 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

5+ yards per carry are pro bowl callibar players. If a player averages over 5 yards a carry in his career then we start talking HOF not splitting carries. We're talking about someone you pay 2 mil for.

i chose 2016 because it's the most rescwnt year

and if you insist, Blount averaged 4.4 yards a carry throughout his career. As I mentioned earlier. 3.9 was a product of so many short runs by design. 

im not gonna talk statistics with you because you will chose the one statistic that you think proves your point and hold on to it for dear life.

instead il ask you a question with the hope that you answer. If you had Blount for the price of west in 2017, is that an upgrade over west or a downgrade? 

1. Correct, those are special players. I thought that was kind of the goal was it not... playmakers? Or are we just looking for another plodder who averages 4.0 YPC? I mean if you think that's good enough, so be it. I see a mountain full of 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft that I think can do that in their sleep, so why would I pay $2M for that?

2. LOL, I didn't choose one statistic. I chose many statistics. My other post listed about 5 different statistical reasons why he's a declining RB. That's not something you did. You picked the most recent year and assumed that because he did it last year, he would do it again this year. I don't think I have to explain the gigantic fallacy in that.

3. No, I'd rather have West. I want a guy who has the potential to break a run more than 5 yards, and can actually get a bit more than what is blocked for him.

Its sort of a pointless question though, because I'm not interested in signing a RB for a single season. That accomplishes very little for us.

I see little value in adding Peterson , he isn't a 3 down back and doesn't catch that well. We all know Flacco looks for his first option and then immediately dumps it to RB/FB

24 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

1. Correct, those are special players. I thought that was kind of the goal was it not... playmakers? Or are we just looking for another plodder who averages 4.0 YPC? I mean if you think that's good enough, so be it. I see a mountain full of 3rd and 4th round picks in this draft that I think can do that in their sleep, so why would I pay $2M for that?

2. LOL, I didn't choose one statistic. I chose many statistics. My other post listed about 5 different statistical reasons why he's a declining RB. That's not something you did. You picked the most recent year and assumed that because he did it last year, he would do it again this year. I don't think I have to explain the gigantic fallacy in that.

3. No, I'd rather have West. I want a guy who has the potential to break a run more than 5 yards, and can actually get a bit more than what is blocked for him.

Its sort of a pointless question though, because I'm not interested in signing a RB for a single season. That accomplishes very little for us.

1- I wish a fournette fell to us and yes the goal is to have the best players in the NFL  on the field but when you have limited resources then you do what you can to field the best team with the resources you have until you get that player. We have been trying the 3rd or 4th round route for 3 years and that hasn't worked...

theoretically, if we do sign Blount then I'm hoping Dixon comes back and beats him out. Untill then, at least I know we have a proven guy.

2- as you said "you chose your statistics" that you believe prove your point while completely ignoring any other statistic that proves otherwise. You and I both know that any case can be made when you pick and chose your statistics.

3- you still havnt answered my question.... If you have Blount for the price of west for 2017 is that an upgrade or a downgrade? 

And now it's gonna sound like I'm unappreciative of west when I really like the kid but here goes. you'd prefer west over Blount because he breaks tackles and the possibility of him hitting big gains? But that's not what west is good at or fair of you to expect him to hit big runs. He's doesn't have "getaway speed" nor is he an elusive guy.

lemme ask again. Blount for the price of west and the same duration of contract (2017)Upgrade or downgrade?

pe:- I miss u RMC. We havnt had one of these rallies in a while lol

Personally i think West will have a great season, last year was his first year as a split starter, and like many of the young players that got a lot of PT, they all will be better having gone through a full season with a lot of snaps....Dixon when his 4 gamer is over, again will give us a very nice 1-2 punch IMO....

38 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

1- I wish a fournette fell to us and yes the goal is to have the best players in the NFL  on the field but when you have limited resources then you do what you can to field the best team with the resources you have until you get that player. We have been trying the 3rd or 4th round route for 3 years and that hasn't worked...

theoretically, if we do sign Blount then I'm hoping Dixon comes back and beats him out. Untill then, at least I know we have a proven guy.

2- as you said "you chose your statistics" that you believe prove your point while completely ignoring any other statistic that proves otherwise. You and I both know that any case can be made when you pick and chose your statistics.

3- you still havnt answered my question.... If you have Blount for the price of west for 2017 is that an upgrade or a downgrade? 

And now it's gonna sound like I'm unappreciative of west when I really like the kid but here goes. you'd prefer west over Blount because he breaks tackles and the possibility of him hitting big gains? But that's not what west is good at or fair of you to expect him to hit big runs. He's doesn't have "getaway speed" nor is he an elusive guy.

lemme ask again. Blount for the price of west and the same duration of contract (2017)Upgrade or downgrade?

pe:- I miss u RMC. We havnt had one of these rallies in a while lol

I would take West over Blount for 2017. I don't care about TD numbers from RBs, because I understand that they deviate on an annual basis greatly and are far too erratic to count on. So unless I'm getting double digit TDs guaranteed from Blount (which nobody can say with any remote certainty), I think West is a better RB, so I'd take him.

If the goal is to field the best team with the resources we have, then my money wouldn't be best spend on a RB.

And its obviously very presumptuous to think that West would be gone if we signed Blount, given that you'd still only effectively have 2 RBs on the roster.

All of this again is meaningless to me, because I think this article is click bait. I don't think we're even remotely interested in any FA RB right now, nor should we be. If we look to add a back, it will be in the draft.

I would also point out that going the 3rd/4th round route has mostly worked for us, because a lot of our better players are coming from the mid-round these days. If you're talking RBs exclusively, its far too small of a sample size and not good enough of an offensive line to notice.

I'm happy for Kamar Aiken and this mite keep happening because unless the Ravens use the WRs they have "ALREADY"! Can't keep wasting money on vets and keeping youngsters on the sidelines looking for miracles when they hit the field! Can't learn from mistakes drops etc! On another note Joe Flacco doesn't have a medical report the same as Big Ben is why they can't keep throwing the O line under the bus every time the Ravens loose a game! I've been going against the squeelers 2 times a year my whole life and watch their QBs get creamed "BUT" they get it done and win! Bradshaw 4 rings Big ben 2 rings! No more excuses please Ozzie and Co. work to hard to put a good squad on the field year after year! The QB makes or breaks this team period!

9 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

I would take West over Blount for 2017. I don't care about TD numbers from RBs, because I understand that they deviate on an annual basis greatly and are far too erratic to count on. So unless I'm getting double digit TDs guaranteed from Blount (which nobody can say with any remote certainty), I think West is a better RB, so I'd take him.

If the goal is to field the best team with the resources we have, then my money wouldn't be best spend on a RB.

And its obviously very presumptuous to think that West would be gone if we signed Blount, given that you'd still only effectively have 2 RBs on the roster.

All of this again is meaningless to me, because I think this article is click bait. I don't think we're even remotely interested in any FA RB right now, nor should we be. If we look to add a back, it will be in the draft.

I would also point out that going the 3rd/4th round route has mostly worked for us, because a lot of our better players are coming from the mid-round these days. If you're talking RBs exclusively, its far too small of a sample size and not good enough of an offensive line to notice.

Yes I'm talking about RB specifically of course! And how is 3 RBs in taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds in 3 consecutive years a small sample?

I agree, I don't think we are in the hunt for a RB but I'm just weighing the options of west (1.7mil zero guaranteed vs other options) sorry I didn't write the article. If it was so meaningless then why are you fighting for your life over it lol

and it's fair to assume we let go of west since we're assuming that were signing someone in the first place. Your also assuming that we keep both when no one inferred the latter.

and we do have more than 2 RBs. (Tallifaro and Allen can compete for #3 and 4 on the depth charts) your also assuming we don't draft any RB. Now look who's assuming.

and based on last year, Blounts chances of getting 10 TDs are higher than the latter because we failed drastically when it was 1st and goal. Wait you just said you don't care about TDs then followed your statement by saying unless someone guarantees 10 TDs... Which one is it?

and once again. I'm comparing the 1.7 mil tendered for west vs Blount if he was signed. No one is saying hey lets get yet another RB

and last but not least. Please answer the question. Is Blount for the price of west an upgrade for 2017 or a downgrade? 

Personally i think West will have a great season, last year was his first year as a split starter, and like many of the young players that got a lot of PT, they all will be better having gone through a full season with a lot of snaps....Dixon when his 4 gamer is over, again will give us a very nice 1-2 punch IMO....

Yes, West runs with an attitude and KD is a beast as well! But if teams don't fear the pass our RBS will get hurt because they can't keep running with 7 to 8 players in the box on Defense with no fear of the pass like in the past the Offense gets too predictable and stale at times to me making them too predictable! Brady opened it up for Woodhead and and now his new RB and we need the same out of Joe and the play calling!

24 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Yes I'm talking about RB specifically of course! And how is 3 RBs in taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds in 3 consecutive years a small sample?

I agree, I don't think we are in the hunt for a RB but I'm just weighing the options of west (1.7mil zero guaranteed vs other options) sorry I didn't write the article. If it was so meaningless then why are you fighting for your life over it lol

and it's fair to assume we let go of west since we're assuming that were signing someone in the first place. Your also assuming that we keep both when no one inferred the latter.

and we do have more than 2 RBs. (Tallifaro and Allen can compete for #3 and 4 on the depth charts) your also assuming we don't draft any RB. Now look who's assuming.

and based on last year, Blounts chances of getting 10 TDs are higher than the latter because we failed drastically when it was 1st and goal. Wait you just said you don't care about TDs then followed your statement by saying unless someone guarantees 10 TDs... Which one is it?

and once again. I'm comparing the 1.7 mil tendered for west vs Blount if he was signed. No one is saying hey lets get yet another RB

and last but not least. Please answer the question. Is Blount for the price of west an upgrade for 2017 or a downgrade? 

1. The small sample size would be a combination of being unable to evaluate Dixon at all, meaning you can't say that it "hasn't worked out", and the lack of playing time of the other guys.

2. I inferred the latter, because they almost certainly wouldn't cut West if they signed Blount. I'm not even sure why people think they would. It would mean Taliaferro certainly doesn't make the team, which he likely won't anyway, and Allen likely wouldn't either. They're gonna carry 4 backs on the 53 man, and then it becomes a game of whether West or Blount would be active on gamedays once Dixon returns.

3. Us failing on 1st and goal doesn't change by bringing in Blount. Again, its a myth that he's this great short yardage back. If its 1st and goal from the 1, sure, he'll get in, along with any other back on our roster. If its 1st and goal from the 8, he's probably not getting in at all, along with any other back on our roster.

4. The reason why I don't care about TDs unless they're guaranteed is because if he's not scoring, what good is he doing? We've already acknowledged he's not a great back in terms of getting actual yardage, so if he's not scoring, what value is he bringing? He doesn't pass protect well, he doesn't play ST well, so what's he doing here?

5. I answered your question already genius. I answered it very clearly. I will quote it again in case you missed it..."I would take West over Blount for 2017".