• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
PurpleandBlackBlood

Offense gets its turn now

61 posts in this topic

Just want to bring this up.. We just put A LOT of focus into our defense. Anyone who thinks we're going D in the first round, let me just tell you: you're DEAD wrong. There is a reason Ozzie hasn't even glanced at any of these FA WRs, and thats because he has BIG draft plans...

After signing Carr I am now 100% certain that RD 1 will be offense and the remainder of the draft will be HEAVY on offensive picks.. 

We need a WR, OT, and C more than ANYTHING else right now. The only way I'd entertain a defensive player early if something falls to us we simply cannot say no to. Judon and Correa will fill in nicely for Orr. Especially with a DEEEEP CB class, we need offense now more than ever. 

RD 1 - WR

RD 2 - C/MAYBE DE... MAYBE

RD 3 - OT

RD 3 - RB

RD 4 - CB

RD 5 - LB

RD 6 - S

Edited by PurpleandBlackBlood

I still wouldn't rule out a CB in the first 3 rounds. If there was a top edge rusher or corner at 16, then I think we would take him. 

I agree that we could use help at WR and OL, but I think defense is still a possibility. 

this entire thread suggests that the ravens will draft for need rather than BPA which they always do... you are being incredibly specific with no idea about the specific players available at each spot or the feasibility of it or with no foresight as to who will be taken when

honestly, this strikes me as an almost entirely futile exercise

1) what if ross, davis, and williams are all gone in the first round?

2) what if elfein (and pocic) are gone in the 2nd round?

3) what if the top 10 linemen are all gone in the 3rd round?

3) what if there is a run on running backs and cooks, fournette, mccaffrey, kamara, foreman, perrine, hunt, clement, gallman etc are all gone?

4) what if that run on cbs means that everyone down to players like kazee get taken before our pick in the 4th round?

5) what if the late round depth of the linebacker class is reached on by linebacker needy teams - guys like duke riley, anthony walker, alex anzalone etc.?

6) what if the only safeties left are the potential UDFAs like jamal carter?

i dont think any of the scenarios ive posted above are even remotely unfathomable or even unlikely... the answer to all of them is that we wouldn't take that position at that spot we'd pick a guy who falls from a different position - i could see all 3 of the first possibilities coming about - maybe they are even likely to happen who can say for sure?

as with everything draft related you have to pick the player not the position like good teams do and you may be right that we end up with offensive pieces but its also quite likely given the defensive strength in the draft that our first pick is an edge rusher for example or our 2nd/3rd picks are defensive backs

-- fighting against the strength of the draft class in advance of the draft even happening is like swimming upstream when you have no destination to get to

8 minutes ago, PurpleandBlackBlood said:

can't wait :)

Lol you say Judon and correa will fill in for Orr....you do know they are both outside linebackers right? I mean I understand correa but Judon?

And since when does drafting a wr in the first round win you a super bowl. There are no offensive lineman worth the 16th pick (maybe lamp or cam) 

We need pass rushers and that will likely be BPA at 16. 

saying anyone is dead wrong for thinking we will draft defense in round 1... well thats just silly. we still need a pass rusher and with lawrence guy leaving, jernigan being wildly inconsistent and in a contract year, and willie henry having shown absolutely nothing with kaufusi still being an unknown, we sorely need that DT/DE hybrid which has always been an integral part of our defense. 

we will also still need dbs, our starting group appears to be excellent but we have nothing for depth and our top cb is injured every year and our top safety is up there in age. winning teams have depth, specifically on defense where heavy rotations are necessary. brandon carr is an excellent signing, but he isnt the kind of guy who can pick up all the slack if jimmy goes down, our entire defense revolves around jimmys presence, carr will hold his own for 16 games but if jimmy goes down he isnt the kind of talent we scheme the whole defense around.  

not that i would write off offense, but this is a pretty lame offensive draft. the top 3 receivers in this class, while good, are far from the elite top ends of recent classes, the RB class is stacked but we probably wont go there, the G class is good but the OT class is weak, i just dont see value for us at 16 on offense unless mike williams inexplicably falls.

6 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

saying anyone is dead wrong for thinking we will draft defense in round 1... well thats just silly. we still need a pass rusher and with lawrence guy leaving, jernigan being wildly inconsistent and in a contract year, and willie henry having shown absolutely nothing with kaufusi still being an unknown, we sorely need that DT/DE hybrid which has always been an integral part of our defense. 

we will also still need dbs, our starting group appears to be excellent but we have nothing for depth and our top cb is injured every year and our top safety is up there in age. winning teams have depth, specifically on defense where heavy rotations are necessary. brandon carr is an excellent signing, but he isnt the kind of guy who can pick up all the slack if jimmy goes down, our entire defense revolves around jimmys presence, carr will hold his own for 16 games but if jimmy goes down he isnt the kind of talent we scheme the whole defense around.  

not that i would write off offense, but this is a pretty lame offensive draft. the top 3 receivers in this class, while good, are far from the elite top ends of recent classes, the RB class is stacked but we probably wont go there, the G class is good but the OT class is weak, i just dont see value for us at 16 on offense unless mike williams inexplicably falls.

This

however... im constantly intrigued by the idea of oj howard in baltimore... 

but, is he gonna boot pitta off his spot as the top te? is maxx gonna bypass pitta this year? is OJ nfl ready? have we invested far too much at TE already? can OJ play out wide as well to alleviate the stress of drafting another TE with so many other needs? i kinda worry that he doesnt have the powerful hands we would want, ive seen him get outmanned in the redzone in situations where he absolutely shouldnt have, sort of how crockett gillmore did against denver and arizona in 2015. it worries me, but man is that potential insane. 

aside from him or cam robinson, or if williams falls i just dont see a reason to go offense, and even then i am concerned with both of the most valuable guys.

1 hour ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

however... im constantly intrigued by the idea of oj howard in baltimore... 

but, is he gonna boot pitta off his spot as the top te? is maxx gonna bypass pitta this year? is OJ nfl ready? have we invested far too much at TE already? can OJ play out wide as well to alleviate the stress of drafting another TE with so many other needs? i kinda worry that he doesnt have the powerful hands we would want, ive seen him get outmanned in the redzone in situations where he absolutely shouldnt have, sort of how crockett gillmore did against denver and arizona in 2015. it worries me, but man is that potential insane. 

aside from him or cam robinson, or if williams falls i just dont see a reason to go offense, and even then i am concerned with both of the most valuable guys.

When you can have the best player in the NFL at that position. Isn't that an upgrade. I'm not worried about who we already have, we can trade them and get something for them. This guy could very well become the best tight end in the league. That's bpa, you take him in a heart beat. IF he is there. There are few offensive players I'd take at 16. Davis, Williams and Howard. But Howard tops that list

4 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

When you can have the best player in the NFL at that position. Isn't that an upgrade. I'm not worried about who we already have, we can trade them and get something for them. This guy could very well become the best tight end in the league. That's bpa, you take him in a heart beat. IF he is there. There are few offensive players I'd take at 16. Davis, Williams and Howard. But Howard tops that list

even disregarding the logjam at TE, howard is no sure thing. the potential is there but when have we actually seen it? his production has come mostly from blown coverages, i mean look at his big plays vs clemson, all of them were horribly blown coverages where he just rolled out to the hash and caught the ball and ran upfield. for all we know he could have weak body control and doesnt know how to use his wingspan in tight coverage, not saying thats the case, but you cant really argue against the theory since hes never gotten a chance to prove otherwise.

11 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

even disregarding the logjam at TE, howard is no sure thing. the potential is there but when have we actually seen it? his production has come mostly from blown coverages, i mean look at his big plays vs clemson, all of them were horribly blown coverages where he just rolled out to the hash and caught the ball and ran upfield. for all we know he could have weak body control and doesnt know how to use his wingspan in tight coverage, not saying thats the case, but you cant really argue against the theory since hes never gotten a chance to prove otherwise.

I don't need to see it. He passes the eye test and he showed what he can do against the best in the country at the combine. Nobody could gaurd him. Alabama totally underutilized him and we shouldn't look so much into production but rather the traits. 

39 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I don't need to see it. He passes the eye test and he showed what he can do against the best in the country at the combine. Nobody could gaurd him. Alabama totally underutilized him and we shouldn't look so much into production but rather the traits. 

the combine isnt football though. if there is any case where the combine cant alleviate concerns about a player, its this. this wasnt a concern about his health or athleticism or explosiveness, this is purely an in-game concern that no workout can eliminate. until he is suited up in a game and making those tight coverage leaping catches you want from a star TE, then he hasnt proven it. 

like i said, i lean on the side that says he is the real deal, and its unfair that he didnt get a chance to show it, but with such a logjam at TE and so many holes, is it a risk you really wanna take at 16? especially if you'd be passing up other more proven talents at bigger needs. 

Edit: and by the way, im not looking at production, im looking at traits, or better yet, TRYING to look for traits, its hard to find these traits when hes never given a chance to show them. never once did i use stats to back any of my claims, simply stating that on film, a lot of the plays where he produced were results of scheming, so many times he would line up in the backfield, wait around for 2-3 seconds, and then the whole sideline would be wide open and he would just get the ball and run. i would have loved to see more toss-ups to OJ where he could actually get to show us what he can do with that wingspan of his.

Edited by JoeyFlex5

24 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

It seems to be always the case with Tide come the draft time - offensive players mostly underrated, defensive ones little overrated. Obviously not all of them but it's a general rule that holds I think.

People: While the Ravens usually go BPA, there is precedent set for us not. In 2008, Biscotti overruled ozzie to trade the entire draft for Matt Ryan.. Didn't happen only because the Rams baulked.. 

In a league that is much different than it was 15 years ago, what do you all think generates the most revenue? Not defense, it's OFFENSE.

Looking at this from an owners perspective, after missing the playoffs for two consecutive years, I want offensive fire-power because that is what is going to generate more revenue for me and give me the best chance to win. Aren't you guys sick of playing in 2 or 3 point win/loss games????

I absolutely would not be surprised if we see something happen in this draft that we haven't seen before/very often. With the way this FA has shaken out, I definitely feel it coming on. 

Further, yes I understand Correa and judo are both OLBs but don't be surprised if they try to move them inside.

Bottom line: we need offensive help far more than we need a pass rusher right now.. lol mike wallace should be our slot receiver at ABSOLUTE best with perriman at the 2 spot..

Edited by PurpleandBlackBlood

16 hours ago, PurpleandBlackBlood said:

Just want to bring this up.. We just put A LOT of focus into our defense. Anyone who thinks we're going D in the first round, let me just tell you: you're DEAD wrong. There is a reason Ozzie hasn't even glanced at any of these FA WRs, and thats because he has BIG draft plans...

After signing Carr I am now 100% certain that RD 1 will be offense and the remainder of the draft will be HEAVY on offensive picks.. 

We need a WR, OT, and C more than ANYTHING else right now. The only way I'd entertain a defensive player early if something falls to us we simply cannot say no to. Judon and Correa will fill in nicely for Orr. Especially with a DEEEEP CB class, we need offense now more than ever. 

RD 1 - WR

RD 2 - C/MAYBE DE... MAYBE

RD 3 - OT

RD 3 - RB

RD 4 - CB

RD 5 - LB

RD 6 - S

The only way l could see a Wr in the first round is that if Mike Williams somehow slip to us but other than that l think it's gonna be either a pass rusher, corner, or even LB (even though l want them to sign Zach Brown to fill that spot). I believe have to at least get a corner in the first three rounds. We will be missing too many talented corners if we decided to wait until the fourth round. I do agree that we need the draft to help the offense a little.

10 hours ago, allblackraven said:

It seems to be always the case with Tide come the draft time - offensive players mostly underrated, defensive ones little overrated. Obviously not all of them but it's a general rule that holds I think.

Ya idk how else to convince people Howard is the real deal. We try and not pick at prospects and that causes us to get scared away. Alabama's scheme totally squashed his potential and never let him blossom as a tight end. Nfl coaches will know how to utilize him. He is a guy teams will have to game plan against

There's decent depth at the receiver position this year. My personal favorite is Davis. He, is what I look for in a number one receiver. He can separate and always wins the contested ball. Overall ,he appears entirely more athletic than Williams. In any other draft I would definitely pick him.

However, I am staying with my pick from last year, Christian McCaffrey. He can play anywhere and IMO do more for this team than any other player in this entire draft.

Nabbing McCaffery in the first, then landing either Goodwin, Jones or Etta-Tawo in the third round would make our offense scary.

7 hours ago, PurpleandBlackBlood said:

People: While the Ravens usually go BPA, there is precedent set for us not. In 2008, Biscotti overruled ozzie to trade the entire draft for Matt Ryan.. Didn't happen only because the Rams baulked.. 

In a league that is much different than it was 15 years ago, what do you all think generates the most revenue? Not defense, it's OFFENSE.

Looking at this from an owners perspective, after missing the playoffs for two consecutive years, I want offensive fire-power because that is what is going to generate more revenue for me and give me the best chance to win. Aren't you guys sick of playing in 2 or 3 point win/loss games????

I absolutely would not be surprised if we see something happen in this draft that we haven't seen before/very often. With the way this FA has shaken out, I definitely feel it coming on. 

Further, yes I understand Correa and judo are both OLBs but don't be surprised if they try to move them inside.

Bottom line: we need offensive help far more than we need a pass rusher right now.. lol mike wallace should be our slot receiver at ABSOLUTE best with perriman at the 2 spot..

The ravens generate plenty of revenue, we don't need offensive firepower for that. 

And Judon isn't moving inside, correa likely is. For starters Judon doesn't fit the profile of an ILB, he is a smart and talented edge guy which is far more valuable anyway, and we only need 1 ILB, why would we convert both? This post is on cloud 9

26 minutes ago, ravensnj said:

There's decent depth at the receiver position this year. My personal favorite is Davis. He, is what I look for in a number one receiver. He can separate and always wins the contested ball. Overall ,he appears entirely more athletic than Williams. In any other draft I would definitely pick him.

However, I am staying with my pick from last year, Christian McCaffrey. He can play anywhere and IMO do more for this team than any other player in this entire draft.

Nabbing McCaffery in the first, then landing either Goodwin, Jones or Etta-Tawo in the third round would make our offense scary.

How would mcaffrey do more for us than any player in the draft?

A Baltimore Beatdown writer makes an argument for the Ravens taking a ROT at 16 and a center in the 3rd. You can read the article here. In essence he writes Rick Wagner and Riley Reiff, other ROTs, are knocking down a new league starting price of $10mil/yr for the position. The Ravens, with a ROT pick this year and Ron Stanley last will have a pair of stud tackles for 4 years at minimum cost leaving money for other positions. With 2 top o-line additions the offense should be top tier and ready to rock. A thoughtful perspective.

12 minutes ago, Bruce_Almty said:

A Baltimore Beatdown writer makes an argument for the Ravens taking a ROT at 16 and a center in the 3rd. You can read the article here. In essence he writes Rick Wagner and Riley Reiff, other ROTs, are knocking down a new league starting price of $10mil/yr for the position. The Ravens, with a ROT pick this year and Ron Stanley last will have a pair of stud tackles for 4 years at minimum cost leaving money for other positions. With 2 top o-line additions the offense should be top tier and ready to rock. A thoughtful perspective.

that's all well and good but id like to know which offensive tackle they think is worth the 16th pick in a bad offensive line draft - this is the classic need problem again: you dont pick the position you pick the player - you could very well make the case that right tackle could be a great position to get sorted with a rookie but theres a big difference between an ok right tackle who you reached for and a dynamic edge rusher/corner/wide receiver etc. who also fill a hole but can potentially be great at their position

2 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

that's all well and good but id like to know which offensive tackle they think is worth the 16th pick in a bad offensive line draft - this is the classic need problem again: you dont pick the position you pick the player - you could very well make the case that right tackle could be a great position to get sorted with a rookie but theres a big difference between an ok right tackle who you reached for and a dynamic edge rusher/corner/wide receiver etc. who also fill a hole but can potentially be great at their position

wat r u tryin to say.   I'm draffin a RT in this draff and garantee he wil pic it right up.

10 minutes ago, RayRayRaven said:

wat r u tryin to say.   I'm draffin a RT in this draff and garantee he wil pic it right up.

pick what right up?

Not sure what to do about RT. The current guys on the team are about as bad as it gets for starters. There's some OT's in the draft I like, but none have really played RT before. Flipping a guy to the other side of the line isn't always that easy and a lot of guys can't do it comfortably. I guess the team could work them out and see how they do there, but I'm not really sure how to evaluate that from tape.

30 minutes ago, ravefan52 said:

Not sure what to do about RT. The current guys on the team are about as bad as it gets for starters. There's some OT's in the draft I like, but none have really played RT before. Flipping a guy to the other side of the line isn't always that easy and a lot of guys can't do it comfortably. I guess the team could work them out and see how they do there, but I'm not really sure how to evaluate that from tape.

They will definitely work out few guys before the draft to see what can be done. Maybe Dunlap?

7 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

I assume you read the article; all I would say in response is Ozzie could trade down to get the appropriate value, and, as you say, the talent pool is shallow for the position and we are in need. There are no guarantees at ROT but quality ER/WR/CBs are available in the 2nd and 3rd also. Food for thought my friend, food for thought.

15 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

How would mcaffrey do more for us than any player in the draft?

McCaffery can play multiple positions, and play them at the highest level. He can play slot. outside, returner. and running back. He creates mismatches and would be a joy for any coordinator.

51 minutes ago, ravensnj said:

McCaffery can play multiple positions, and play them at the highest level. He can play slot. outside, returner. and running back. He creates mismatches and would be a joy for any coordinator.

so dude is an all pro already without even taking a snap in the NFL yet?