BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Ozzie Newsome Already Knows He Has Work To Do On Offense

82 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crusader said:

Ozzie still has work on the defense. Who is replacing Orr , Guy, and Elvis?

Of course it is early, however my best guess right now is McClellan, Davis and Judon in that order. But there are many who can step in, the hardest to replace is Orr.

It would be nice to get an update on C. Davis. M. Williams and B. Kafusi too. We havent heard their names in a while.

The lose of Lawence Guy is going to be seen on the run stopping game. He help make Williams look good. Re watch the Eagles and Steelers game and see how he was in every play.

Lawrence Guy is a good player but there's no way we will pay 4 years 20M for a rotational guy. Then you would be angry that we overpay him. We got many pieces to fill the void for Guy.

Ozzie could replace Orr with Zach Brown and his price is coming cheaper since he been on the market for so long.

The lose of Lawence Guy is going to be seen on the run stopping game. He help make Williams look good. Re watch the Eagles and Steelers game and see how he was in every play.

You do realize you picked two of our worst run defense performances on the season to make your point?

No WR's in the draft, Ozzie is just plain BAD at selecting WR's. If Bolden would come back for a year or two that would be great.
DRAFT___First lets go after TE Howard, cut 3-4 of the TE's warming the bench. Get a CB, Edge, LB, a O Lineman and a RB. Trade UP to get players that maybe able to start day one.

So you have us drafting six players AND simultaneously trading up multiple times?

Yeah that's an obvious no.

Just now, Crusader said:

Ozzie could replace Orr with Zach Brown and his price is coming cheaper since he been on the market for so long.

We also have ZDS...

5 minutes ago, The Mom Gene said:

We also have ZDS...

Do you mean playing Zardarius Smith as a inside LB? Nah. I think he should stay as a OLB. 

I am pretty sure we are going to trade a 4th, 5th, and 6th to Seattle so we can bring Arthur Brown back. And he will be able to fill in for Orr, Guy and Elvis. That's what is so great about Art. He is so versatile. He should be an instant upgrade over B. Urban, B. Kafusi, K. Correa, Matt Judon, Z. Smith and Albert McClellan. And he is most definitely going to be better than any of the rookies that we take in the draft. Its always nice to be able to give the rookies a redshirt year so they can get acclimated to the speed of the game.

2 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Thanks for reading,

I will stick by my points about Running Back. Sure right now not many are on the bandwagon, however the one thing the Ravens lacked probably more than anything last year was the Running Game. I can tell you many, many agree to that.

A typo (fruedian) slip in the Murray category I have stated L Murray and I still think he is a back that fits the Ravens need. Big strong down hill runner, durable and let him pound the middle of the field. ( I called for them to pick up D Murray before he went to Dallas 3 years ago where he was wasted on the bench)

I also stand behind my points about Dixon, he is a "Dufus" because he is costing himself and the team 4 games maybe more because his "off the field" dufus choice. Yes he has shown that he is ready for the NFL on the field, those two points do not contradict each other. However I do not think he can carry the Ravens 50 to 60% offensive downhill running style that this team is built around.

Henry and Lewis both played snaps, but half the season is pretty early, to go out.
A. Lewis, just watch.

Yes at this point everyone's fighting for a roster spot, a chance or a stretch, but these are Rookies as my point !
A very talented, potential promising class of Rookies that I believe most if not all will make the team, many as starters.

Yea the Vikes just picked  up L Murray.  Lewis played, Henry didn't go in for a single snap.  This is an article on his injury and playing time.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Promote-DB-Asa-Jackson-Place-DT-Willie-Henry-On-Injured-Reserve/1e6c3934-be9b-43bc-abca-9953be8a0500

I don't think his lack of play last year means hes going to be bust though.  He did make some nice plays in preseason though. He bring something different to the table than Jernigan, pierce, williams.  Yea I just think we would have ha to pay more than Murrays worth.  A thousand yard running season isnt necessarily a measure of  RBs skill level.  At this point we have a better chance of picking up A Peterson than trading for Murray.  Although that chance is very very slim.

That is a good pick up by the Vikings.

I said Henry was out early, I stand corrected he played snaps in pre-season, Lewis went out during the season. Thank you for validating.

If Peterson can show in a work out that he meets the Ravens standards I'm sure he will command some consideration. Just not sure he has enough left in the tank for what he might cost. If he will play for $3.5-4.5 mil maybe so.

1000 yrds running season doesn't happen to too many RB's without skill level. Maybe you could list a few so I can relate.
Im concerned even more now in West play in 2016 and getting 700+ means? Because West is the RB I am concerned with.

Again my point is not to pick apart a Rookies play, because most have mistakes, but to make the point of the very promising Rookie class returning. +15 players if you look back at my original post.

12 minutes ago, billiejean said:
3 hours ago, Crusader said:

I am pretty sure we are going to trade a 4th, 5th, and 6th to Seattle so we can bring Arthur Brown back. And he will be able to fill in for Orr, Guy and Elvis. That's what is so great about Art. He is so versatile. He should be an instant upgrade over B. Urban, B. Kafusi, K. Correa, Matt Judon, Z. Smith and Albert McClellan. And he is most definitely going to be better than any of the rookies that we take in the draft. Its always nice to be able to give the rookies a redshirt year so they can get acclimated to the speed of the game.

Arthur Brown???????? Huh. It wouldn't make sense to trade all those those picks for Brown. He had his oppurtunity here to start and he didn't live up to his expectations. Besides Zach Brown is better and we could just sign him and don't have to trade all those picks.

Edited by hen826957

9 hours ago, JamesA119 said:

Rookies seldom make great centers. The center has to make so many pre-snap reads that rookies usually do need to grow into that position. It takes 2 or 3 yrs.
So I think that a trade if they don't sign Mangold is more likely for a center for this season. They can then draft a prospect later in the draft.

Why would you draft a player later if you intend on having them be your anchor starter? Many Centers have entered the league and started. But your point does show why the Ravens may want to take a good look at John Urschel and Matt Skura in Camp.( Skura worked on the PS all year and because Zuttah stayed healthy all year they did not need to bring him up. He very well may be much better than any fans know. )

Draft at a strong pick and put the player in action, if in camp or even early games he needs improvement then the 2nd line Center will need to step up -maybe for just a little while, maybe longer.

or as you say pick up a vet Center - important at a good value price- who can add strength while the Rookie is developing. Mangold just doesn't appear to be in the price range for the Ravens. Also Oz often waits until after the Draft to fill in the final pieces. This way he can access the results of teams actual picks instead of just the "big board"

So I disagree that the Ravens should wait past #80 to pick a top Center/G in the Draft, I would prefer they look seriously at using the #48. However i don't make the decisions and anything can happen if a FA player were to make a fit.

LMAO!! Where did I say that the Ravens should pick the center of the future after pick #80. This hilarious! SMH!!!

15 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

Arthur Brown???????? Huh. It wouldn't make sense to trade all those those picks for Brown. He had his oppurtunity here to start and he didn't live up to his expectations. Besides Zach Brown is better and we could just sign him and don't have to trade all those picks.

21 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

That is a good pick up by the Vikings.

I said Henry was out early, I stand corrected he played snaps in pre-season, Lewis went out during the season. Thank you for validating.

If Peterson can show in a work out that he meets the Ravens standards I'm sure he will command some consideration. Just not sure he has enough left in the tank for what he might cost. If he will play for $3.5-4.5 mil maybe so.

1000 yrds running season doesn't happen to too many RB's without skill level. Maybe you could list a few so I can relate.
Im concerned even more now in West play in 2016 and getting 700+ means? Because West is the RB I am concerned with.

Again my point is not to pick apart a Rookies play, because most have mistakes, but to make the point of the very promising Rookie class returning. +15 players if you look back at my original post.

When you are only looking at the total yards of a RB for the year you don't take into account how many times the running back ran the ball. The stat that takes that into account is yards per carry. This is a list of the RBs iYPC in 2016.. 

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/rush-yards-per-attempt/2016/

7 hours ago, Crusader said:

Trading for ARTHUR BROWN Now that's just plain Cray cray!!!!!!!!!!

Stop to consider BW is typically getting double teams and creating isolated match ups for others like Guy. He was a solid player, but with the depth along defensive line they can get by and save some cap space. If anything this team is a bit overloaded at d line. Time for a few players to step up and separate themselves this year.

As the roster stands now, I would suggest:

Orr <= KC&/Levine (obvious passing downs)
Guy <= Urban/Jernigan/Henry
Elvis <= ZSmith

They will most certainly add another LB in the draft, at some point for depth. Most likely BPA. yaddah yaddah

Really?........really? Guy made BWill look good...........O....OK

13 hours ago, Chuckx999 said:

No WR's in the draft, Ozzie is just plain BAD at selecting WR's. If Bolden would come back for a year or two that would be great.
DRAFT___First lets go after TE Howard, cut 3-4 of the TE's warming the bench. Get a CB, Edge, LB, a O Lineman and a RB. Trade UP to get players that maybe able to start day one.

So you have us drafting six players AND simultaneously trading up multiple times?

Yeah that's an obvious no.

you're an obvious no. then again we all know that

8 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:
  8 hours ago, Crusader said:

Of course it is early, however my best guess right now is McClellan, Davis and Judon in that order. But there are many who can step in, the hardest to replace is Orr.

It would be nice to get an update on C. Davis. M. Williams and B. Kafusi too. We havent heard their names in a while.

agreed

personally, i dont think the ravens FO is overly concerned about wr, i think theyre gonna move forward this year and see what they have, barring some inexplicable fall from mike williams to 16. maybe having perriman, wallace, and moore, harbaugh and joe tell marty to build the offenses identity around the deep ball? i wouldnt be too comfortable with it but the ravens have relied on young talent before, if i had to guess i would think they would prioritize the OL over the wr corps.

I am not worried about WR, we have talented young players and will add another in the 3rd round. Perriman will have his breakout year and bring excitement back to the offense. I am hoping KC will be able to step in at ILB but I think that's the least of our problems.

John Ross looks like more than just a deep threat.........making him a Raven would be super interesting. Especially if he returned kicks at all

personally, i dont think the ravens FO is overly concerned about wr, i think theyre gonna move forward this year and see what they have, barring some inexplicable fall from mike williams to 16. maybe having perriman, wallace, and moore, harbaugh and joe tell marty to build the offenses identity around the deep ball? i wouldnt be too comfortable with it but the ravens have relied on young talent before, if i had to guess i would think they would prioritize the OL over the wr corps.

The deep ball is nice. If Flacco remembers how to throw it. But we still undeniably need a 3rd down, move the chains, red zone target kinda guy. Perriman and Wallace are not even close to being that guy. At all. And relying on Moore to be that guy would be silly. We do need oline, but maybe only one of them if we add Mangold or a different FA. I think Ju Ju Smith is exactly what we need, and would be a perfect compliment to Perriman for years to come. We pick at 47, and I have a feeling he'll go between picks 40-50.
If we don't get that type of wr, the Entire world will know Joe is throwing the ball to Pitta on 3rd and 7. Probably 5 yards short of the sticks too.

We fans got to realize is that we can't fill every hole in one year. Fans are arguing what about Wr, what able OT, what about RB, what about passrusher, etc. Ozzie is trying the best he can to fill those holes this year but it might take next year to fix the rest. I'm glad he starting off upgrade the defense first because that might help the offense win some close games. The secondary has been a mess in these last couple of years and it was time to upgrade it. We could get some more pieces that might help the offense a little in the draft. 2018 is the year when the Ravens are more of a complete team because they will be upgrading more on the offense that year. Hope we finish free agency with Zach Brown and possibly King Dunlap/Mangold and then focus on to the draft.

Edited by hen826957

10 hours ago, hen826957 said:

My bad hen.  That was a failed attempt at sarcasm.  I like your profile picture.  Did you design that?

On a completely separate note. I have no idea how or why the word "My" is in a bold typeface. I don't think I have ever seen any comments in this forum that were bold.  Very Strange

Edited by billiejean

10 hours ago, hen826957 said:

My bad hen.  That was a failed attempt at sarcasm.  I like your profile picture.  Did you design that?

Thanks. I actually found that picture on Google images. I really wanted that photo "What's our name? Ravens" or "Play Like A Raven" but the photo was too large to download on the profile so l found this one. It was kind of hard to find actually. I think it was time for a change because l kind of got tired of the old profile picture. 👍

18 hours ago, Chuckx999 said:

Oz give this fan a contract.  The front office could really benefit from this guys pragmatic ideas.  I keep thinking Chuck is going to run out of good suggestions for the Ravens front office.  But he did it once a again.  How he managed to come up with yet another innovative idea that could really help this team is beyond me.  His proposals are alway attainable.  I can totally see the front office actually implementing some of them.  

1 hour ago, hen826957 said:

Do you mean playing Zardarius Smith as a inside LB? Nah. I think he should stay as a OLB. 

I had assumed we were talking about that.. when Dumervil was mentioned.  Has he signed anywhere?

19 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Since we are on the topic of Rookies, The Ravens drafted strong last year and had a great post draft. So the ability to use those players has arrived. Here is a list ofthe last year rookies not to lose sight of: All of them look to be returning for a strong second year-

Ronnie Stanley- so glad Oz listened to me #1..lol, wow what a player. Wowzer

Micheal Pierce DT/NT - last year speaks for itself! All Pro in the making, wow

Tavon Young CB- I think he is as much a starter as anyone on the team. Wow

Matthew Judon OLB- This kid should be the replacement for Doom, big shoes to fill, but man did he shine at times last year,

Alex Lewis G/T- now back on the O line, can play G or T, when teamed up with Yanda or Stanley will shut down one side. Exciting young and on the verge of Pro bowl play.

Chris Moore WR- Wide receivers seem to perform better in their second year, ie Aiken, Periman, Torrey Smith, etc. especially for the Ravens. This kid could be something very special.

Maurice Canady CB- Canady showed sparks of tremendous talent in coverage, when tackling, on special teams and when put in at certain packages he played position well. The speed of the game in the backfield is about as fast as it gets on two legs. Here is a young talent who looks to have the legs.

Kennith Dixon RB- boy I hope this suspension doesn't hurt his development, I believe Ken showed that he was ready for the NFL. I would like to see him in the #2 role behind even a stronger #1 Running back ( no disrespect to West, Unfortunately I just think West is a proven #2). plug- D Murray-

Willie Henry DT- As with Lewis lost early in the season, this guy is a Beast!

Bronson Kaufusi DE- "ditto" I can't wait to see this kid in action! a Beast!

Stephane Nembot OT - Played very well on second squad, shows signs of great potential. It is time needed on the field that will tell the tale.

Matt Skura C- Matt flew under the radar last year, getting his development and NFL level experience on the PS. He could be much more the player that anyone expects.

Correa Kamalei LB- KO, down the list for a reason. Here is a player who got in fights with multiple veterans during camp last year. Who do you think won out in that deal? In my opinion, He had the sad awakening of becoming an NFL "team player" and I would bet you it started in the locker room. Get your head on straight KO, hopefully all leave last year behind them. If he uses the raw talent that everyone saw in the draft, there is huge potential. Its time to become a Pro.

Keenan Reynolds WR/KR- What does this kid have to offer? There has to be something he can do to participate, I am eager to see.

Patrick Onwuasor ILB- didn't see a lot of action, what play time was seen appeared to be solid. The jury is still out if he can become a starter, but there is potential to work with.

I am not sure any team in the NFL will return with this kind of Rookie class (+15), not including a couple additions from the off season. So lets go Sophomores, go get what you came for and give the veterans a run for their money!

Well, it looks as if Ozzie drafted a bunch of All-Pro's last year. That was probably one of the most homerish posts I've ever seen. Lol. 

OK, we all hope someone from last year will be able to step up, but like many here have already stated how long did we hope Arthur Brown would step up? We can't live and win on hope alone. We need guys who will kick butt on the field of play. ( Ray Lewis and Ed Reed types ). I think Harb's is afraid of those types of players.

I still don't understand why Chris Moore and Keenan Reynolds WR/KR didn't get a good chance last year. Our WR's/KR's sure didn't scare anyone.

Have they hired Ed Reed as a DB coach yet????

I hope Ozzie doesn't forget to get a QB this year or next. We are just in poor shape at that position.

A total 762 words, and the first 340 were completely superfluous. Looking for a cheap way to pad your production numbers? This kind of stuff is why so many people think that sports and intelligence are mutually exclusive.