BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Ozzie Newsome Already Knows He Has Work To Do On Offense

82 posts in this topic

I would like a Receiver but lack confidence based on our history. I could live with Perriman being the mediocre WR that he is if he was taken in the 4th or 5th round but can't accept it as a #1. Tanden Doss (Boldin's replacement(OUCH)), Millete, David Reed, Butler, and the hits just keep on coming.

With 4 top 100 picks I'm hoping for a RT/o-linemen and a center to be among them. That leaves 2 picks for a WR, CB, ER, LB. That's a lot to wish for. Go Ozzie.

The O line will be addressed in the draft with players that can start if need be! A young center would be very nice playing like a Bull up front! Every pick will be solid and I can't wait to hear the 1st name selected! We have the best in the business in finding talent and they will do what they do best! Just watch! Would be nice if we get some Buckeyes Lol!

With Sidney Jones out of the picture, I see the Ravens looking at 3 main possibilities at pick #16: Mike Williams (WR), Dalvin Cook (RB) and Derek Barnett (Edge). If these 3 are gone don't be surprised to see us trade back in the draft -maybe early 20's and get extra picks in round 2 and 3. If this occurs we should be able to get an Edge rusher in round #1 (McKinley, Charlton, Harris) and with the 2nd round pick get a good CB (Conley, Humphrey, Moreau), with the next picks in 2nd & 3rd you get o-line and a ILB and fill other needs. I can see Anquan Boldin come back on a one year deal and what he'll do in the locker room and team rooms is worth his pay alone. If Sidney Jones is available in the 4th round, I would draft him knowing he's a red-shirt but potential is worth it. I also think Ozzie will make a move or two before the draft which will continue to alter the needs as the draft approaches.

Rookies seldom make great centers. The center has to make so many pre-snap reads that rookies usually do need to grow into that position. It takes 2 or 3 yrs.
So I think that a trade if they don't sign Mangold is more likely for a center for this season. They can then draft a prospect later in the draft.

i think mangold will b added eventually, or ozzie is waiting until after draft when teams will start cutting players for the newbies.

we missed out on barwin.

21 minutes ago, JamesA119 said:

Rookies seldom make great centers. The center has to make so many pre-snap reads that rookies usually do need to grow into that position. It takes 2 or 3 yrs.
So I think that a trade if they don't sign Mangold is more likely for a center for this season. They can then draft a prospect later in the draft.

Whitehair was a 2nd round pick last year and was a top 10 center last year.  Yes, it doesn't happen that often, but it can without question be better than what we had last year.

Edited by RavensFanMania

30 minutes ago, JamesA119 said:

Thank you. Finally some sense in the dueling lol

45 minutes ago, budkretz said:

With Sidney Jones out of the picture, I see the Ravens looking at 3 main possibilities at pick #16: Mike Williams (WR), Dalvin Cook (RB) and Derek Barnett (Edge). If these 3 are gone don't be surprised to see us trade back in the draft -maybe early 20's and get extra picks in round 2 and 3. If this occurs we should be able to get an Edge rusher in round #1 (McKinley, Charlton, Harris) and with the 2nd round pick get a good CB (Conley, Humphrey, Moreau), with the next picks in 2nd & 3rd you get o-line and a ILB and fill other needs. I can see Anquan Boldin come back on a one year deal and what he'll do in the locker room and team rooms is worth his pay alone. If Sidney Jones is available in the 4th round, I would draft him knowing he's a red-shirt but potential is worth it. I also think Ozzie will make a move or two before the draft which will continue to alter the needs as the draft approaches.

Mike Williams and cook will probably be gone by 16th. I'm still not sold in Barnett at 16. 

Looking at the Second round. I'm in love with the talent on the board. The two CBs you mentioned and a few other good guys that may need some developing but their feeling is so high! Ryan Anderson (Alabama) looks like Suggs 2.0 and he may be there when we pick in the second.

Iv seen a few mocks here and there, there's a great chance one of the top 2 Tackles falls to us.  I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if we take one either one at 16

last but not least. If Sidney jones is there in the third then I'd love to see Ozzie pull the trigger. Not often do you get a top 15 talent in the third round. All you gotta do is wait a year. 

No WR's in the draft, Ozzie is just plain BAD at selecting WR's. If Bolden would come back for a year or two that would be great.
DRAFT___First lets go after TE Howard, cut 3-4 of the TE's warming the bench. Get a CB, Edge, LB, a O Lineman and a RB. Trade UP to get players that maybe able to start day one.

Why would you draft a player later if you intend on having them be your anchor starter? Many Centers have entered the league and started. But your point does show why the Ravens may want to take a good look at John Urschel and Matt Skura in Camp.( Skura worked on the PS all year and because Zuttah stayed healthy all year they did not need to bring him up. He very well may be much better than any fans know. )

Draft at a strong pick and put the player in action, if in camp or even early games he needs improvement then the 2nd line Center will need to step up -maybe for just a little while, maybe longer.

or as you say pick up a vet Center - important at a good value price- who can add strength while the Rookie is developing. Mangold just doesn't appear to be in the price range for the Ravens. Also Oz often waits until after the Draft to fill in the final pieces. This way he can access the results of teams actual picks instead of just the "big board"

So I disagree that the Ravens should wait past #80 to pick a top Center/G in the Draft, I would prefer they look seriously at using the #48. However i don't make the decisions and anything can happen if a FA player were to make a fit.

I would love to be a fly on the wall. I am sure it's like putting a puzzle together as one piece here leads to another piece that you couldn't do because you needed the piece before. No way I believe there is a plan as much as a basic direction, as there are 31 other variables to consider, each have their own issues and needs and everyone is trying to fool everyone else about what they plan on doing and driving the price up on pieces you had eyes on. The end of year press conference, I have always said is nothing more than a liars ball. Offensive line and weapons for Joe Flacco is spy talk for secondary help. I said that right after they tried to fool every other team in the NFL that wasn't fooled because they know, just like me, that it is just smoke and mirrors. Anyway....

I am not completely convinced the Ravens are zeroing in a wide reciever, as we have heard ground and pound since last year and ground and pound requires an offensive line and a running back. To me, I don't know what Adrian Peterson is asking, but with Terrance West and Dixon and Peterson in a role sharing situation he may have some dynamite left in those legs. Or, they may focus on a running back in the first round, and then focus on offensive lineman to put some brawling beasts on the front line and use Flacco's arm as a long shot weapon with our speed recievers like he did when he was "elite".

It will be interesting as it always is. We still have months before the first preseason game and a lot will happen both good and bad but that's what keeps me coming back for me. But for me "In Oz We Trust".

1 hour ago, budkretz said:

Mike Williams and cook will probably be gone by 16th. I'm still not sold in Barnett at 16. 

Looking at the Second round. I'm in love with the talent on the board. The two CBs you mentioned and a few other good guys that may need some developing but their feeling is so high! Ryan Anderson (Alabama) looks like Suggs 2.0 and he may be there when we pick in the second.

Iv seen a few mocks here and there, there's a great chance one of the top 2 Tackles falls to us.  I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if we take one either one at 16

last but not least. If Sidney jones is there in the third then I'd love to see Ozzie pull the trigger. Not often do you get a top 15 talent in the third round. All you gotta do is wait a year. 

Agree. It seems after the top 10 picks and any teams grabbing QBs that picks in the 10-32 first round and those in top half of second round that there's not a big difference in ability/potential. And the 3rd round has sound players. Anderson has moved up the board and you can add Charles Harris (Mizzou) and Carl Lawson (Auburn) as Edge rushers. An extra pick in that grouping could help the Ravens fill out their roster needs. There are a couple veteran tackles that have been released along with Mangold, Boldin and Zach Brown that are out there. As vets they want to play and if they may be past A+ days but even at B range they can bridge and train the new draftees as they adjust to pro ball. The Ravens are still considered playoff bound and most seem to enjoy their time in Baltimore, so I see a couple veterans coming in. I think with our Coaches knowing it's playoff or they are out we will see some new strategies this year. Of course I want the playoffs and then some, but let's at least have some exciting games on both offense and defense. With Tucker, Koch and Cox we have the best kicking team. The optimism is coming back!

I wouldn't count out the possibility of us taking a CB in the first. It really all depends on how the board falls. John E. has no idea who the Ravens covet in this draft. If you think that Ozzy and the rest of the FO ask for John's input when aligning their draft board you're kidding yourself. John has made the assumption that the Ravens are high on a Jones just because the PUNDITS have mocked him to us. And thats not the only problem with that argument. John is also assuming that the FO is so disenchanted with the CB class, that they won't even consider drafting a guy who isnt Jones in the first. And I am not saying that we are definitely going to take a CB in the first. What I am saying is that the argument that John makes to support his prediction is absurd.

Since we are on the topic of Rookies, The Ravens drafted strong last year and had a great post draft. So the ability to use those players has arrived. Here is a list ofthe last year rookies not to lose sight of: All of them look to be returning for a strong second year-

Ronnie Stanley- so glad Oz listened to me #1..lol, wow what a player. Wowzer

Micheal Pierce DT/NT - last year speaks for itself! All Pro in the making, wow

Tavon Young CB- I think he is as much a starter as anyone on the team. Wow

Matthew Judon OLB- This kid should be the replacement for Doom, big shoes to fill, but man did he shine at times last year,

Alex Lewis G/T- now back on the O line, can play G or T, when teamed up with Yanda or Stanley will shut down one side. Exciting young and on the verge of Pro bowl play.

Chris Moore WR- Wide receivers seem to perform better in their second year, ie Aiken, Periman, Torrey Smith, etc. especially for the Ravens. This kid could be something very special.

Maurice Canady CB- Canady showed sparks of tremendous talent in coverage, when tackling, on special teams and when put in at certain packages he played position well. The speed of the game in the backfield is about as fast as it gets on two legs. Here is a young talent who looks to have the legs.

Kennith Dixon RB- boy I hope this suspension doesn't hurt his development, I believe Ken showed that he was ready for the NFL. I would like to see him in the #2 role behind even a stronger #1 Running back ( no disrespect to West, Unfortunately I just think West is a proven #2). plug- D Murray-

Willie Henry DT- As with Lewis lost early in the season, this guy is a Beast!

Bronson Kaufusi DE- "ditto" I can't wait to see this kid in action! a Beast!

Stephane Nembot OT - Played very well on second squad, shows signs of great potential. It is time needed on the field that will tell the tale.

Matt Skura C- Matt flew under the radar last year, getting his development and NFL level experience on the PS. He could be much more the player that anyone expects.

Correa Kamalei LB- KO, down the list for a reason. Here is a player who got in fights with multiple veterans during camp last year. Who do you think won out in that deal? In my opinion, He had the sad awakening of becoming an NFL "team player" and I would bet you it started in the locker room. Get your head on straight KO, hopefully all leave last year behind them. If he uses the raw talent that everyone saw in the draft, there is huge potential. Its time to become a Pro.

Keenan Reynolds WR/KR- What does this kid have to offer? There has to be something he can do to participate, I am eager to see.

Patrick Onwuasor ILB- didn't see a lot of action, what play time was seen appeared to be solid. The jury is still out if he can become a starter, but there is potential to work with.

I am not sure any team in the NFL will return with this kind of Rookie class (+15), not including a couple additions from the off season. So lets go Sophomores, go get what you came for and give the veterans a run for their money!

i look for the post draft cuts, team selecting WR's, O-Linemen, LBers in the 1st round will leave solid vets on the waiver wire.....

Where is John in the cartoon? A mini Harbaugh standing at the feet of Ozzie, looking back and forth between Pees and Mohrinweg with a thought bubble saying -"I'm lost. What's going on Ozzie"??

I think WR john ross is our guy at 16... Unless we get a LG, im not excited for anything else... We lack home run playmakers like julio jones, ODB or ezekiel elliot.we have B.Perriman, the jury is still out in him but while we wait for the verdict lets take another shot and maybe have the best WR tandem in the future

I just want Ozzie to sign one more defensive player and that is Zach Brown at LB then he could focus on the offensive side of the ball more.

Edited by hen826957

Since we are on the topic of Rookies, The Ravens drafted strong last year and had a great post draft. So the ability to use those players has arrived. Here is a list ofthe last year rookies not to lose sight of: All of them look to be returning for a strong second year-

Matthew Judon OLB- This kid should be the replacement for Doom, big shoes to fill, but man did he shine at times last year,

Alex Lewis G/T- now back on the O line, can play G or T, when teamed up with Yanda or Stanley will shut down one side. Exciting young and on the verge of Pro bowl play.

Chris Moore WR- Wide receivers seem to perform better in their second year, ie Aiken, Periman, Torrey Smith, etc. especially for the Ravens. This kid could be something very special.

Maurice Canady CB- Canady showed sparks of tremendous talent in coverage, when tackling, on special teams and when put in at certain packages he played position well. The speed of the game in the backfield is about as fast as it gets on two legs. Here is a young talent who looks to have the legs.

Kennith Dixon RB- boy I hope this suspension doesn't hurt his development, I believe Ken showed that he was ready for the NFL. I would like to see him in the #2 role behind even a stronger #1 Running back ( no disrespect to West, Unfortunately I just think West is a proven #2). plug- D Murray-

Stephane Nembot OT - Played very well on second squad, shows signs of great potential. It is time needed on the field that will tell the tale.

Matt Skura C- Matt flew under the radar last year, getting his development and NFL level experience on the PS. He could be much more the player that anyone expects.

Correa Kamalei LB- KO, down the list for a reason. Here is a player who got in fights with multiple veterans during camp last year. Who do you think won out in that deal? In my opinion, He had the sad awakening of becoming an NFL "team player" and I would bet you it started in the locker room. Get your head on straight KO, hopefully all leave last year behind them. If he uses the raw talent that everyone saw in the draft, there is huge potential. Its time to become a Pro.

Keenan Reynolds WR/KR- What does this kid have to offer? There has to be something he can do to participate, I am eager to see.

Patrick Onwuasor ILB- didn't see a lot of action, what play time was seen appeared to be solid. The jury is still out if he can become a starter, but there is potential to work with.

I am not sure any team in the NFL will return with this kind of Rookie class (+15), not including a couple additions from the off season. So lets go Sophomores, go get what you came for and give the veterans a run for their money!

Frank have you ever wondered why you are the only guy clamoring for a big name FA running back? First it was L. Murray and now its D. Murray. You do realize we would have to trade picks to get D. Murray and at this point we would have to do the same for L. Murray. It wasn't but 2 week ago when you called Dixon a "dufus" and now "Ken showed that he was ready for the NFL." Henry wasn't lost until Nov 15 (9 games) which really isn't the beginning of the season. Although he might as well have been injured because he didn't even get in for one play. Its also a bit of a stretch to say that A. Lewis is on the verge of a pro bowl invite. I am pulling for Skura and Nembot but those guys are going to be fighting for a roster spot this year.

Ozzie still has work on the defense. Who is replacing Orr , Guy, and Elvis?

We signed Carr remember lololol, he's the savior. J.k but yea we still have holes everywhere, hopefully the draft can produce a few kids that are motivated and good enough to step right in and go hard!

3 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Frank have you ever wondered why you are the only guy clamoring for a big name FA running back? First it was L. Murray and now its D. Murray. You do realize we would have to trade picks to get D. Murray and at this point we would have to do the same for L. Murray. It wasn't but 2 week ago when you called Dixon a "dufus" and now "Ken showed that he was ready for the NFL." Henry wasn't lost until Nov 15 (9 games) which really isn't the beginning of the season. Although he might as well have been injured because he didn't even get in for one play. Its also a bit of a stretch to say that A. Lewis is on the verge of a pro bowl invite. I am pulling for Skura and Nembot but those guys are going to be fighting for a roster spot this year.

Thanks for reading,

I will stick by my points about Running Back. Sure right now not many are on the bandwagon, however the one thing the Ravens lacked probably more than anything last year was the Running Game. I can tell you many, many agree to that.

A typo (fruedian) slip in the Murray category I have stated L Murray and I still think he is a back that fits the Ravens need. Big strong down hill runner, durable and let him pound the middle of the field. ( I called for them to pick up D Murray before he went to Dallas 3 years ago where he was wasted on the bench)

I also stand behind my points about Dixon, he is a "Dufus" because he is costing himself and the team 4 games maybe more because his "off the field" dufus choice. Yes he has shown that he is ready for the NFL on the field, those two points do not contradict each other. However I do not think he can carry the Ravens 50 to 60% offensive downhill running style that this team is built around.

Henry and Lewis both played snaps, but half the season is pretty early, to go out.
A. Lewis, just watch.

Yes at this point everyone's fighting for a roster spot, a chance or a stretch, but these are Rookies as my point !
A very talented, potential promising class of Rookies that I believe most if not all will make the team, many as starters.

The lose of Lawence Guy is going to be seen on the run stopping game. He help make Williams look good. Re watch the Eagles and Steelers game and see how he was in every play.

Ozzie still has work on the defense. Who is replacing Orr , Guy, and Elvis?

Of course it is early, however my best guess right now is McClellan, Davis and Judon in that order. But there are many who can step in, the hardest to replace is Orr.

7 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Thanks for reading,

I will stick by my points about Running Back. Sure right now not many are on the bandwagon, however the one thing the Ravens lacked probably more than anything last year was the Running Game. I can tell you many, many agree to that.

A typo (fruedian) slip in the Murray category I have stated L Murray and I still think he is a back that fits the Ravens need. Big strong down hill runner, durable and let him pound the middle of the field. ( I called for them to pick up D Murray before he went to Dallas 3 years ago where he was wasted on the bench)

I also stand behind my points about Dixon, he is a "Dufus" because he is costing himself and the team 4 games maybe more because his "off the field" dufus choice. Yes he has shown that he is ready for the NFL on the field, those two points do not contradict each other. However I do not think he can carry the Ravens 50 to 60% offensive downhill running style that this team is built around.

Henry and Lewis both played snaps, but half the season is pretty early, to go out.
A. Lewis, just watch.

Yes at this point everyone's fighting for a roster spot, a chance or a stretch, but these are Rookies as my point !
A very talented, potential promising class of Rookies that I believe most if not all will make the team, many as starters.

Yea the Vikes just picked  up L Murray.  Lewis played, Henry didn't go in for a single snap.  This is an article on his injury and playing time.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Promote-DB-Asa-Jackson-Place-DT-Willie-Henry-On-Injured-Reserve/1e6c3934-be9b-43bc-abca-9953be8a0500

I don't think his lack of play last year means hes going to be bust though.  He did make some nice plays in preseason though. He bring something different to the table than Jernigan, pierce, williams.  Yea I just think we would have ha to pay more than Murrays worth.  A thousand yard running season isnt necessarily a measure of  RBs skill level.  At this point we have a better chance of picking up A Peterson than trading for Murray.  Although that chance is very very slim.