BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/17: What Happened? Ravens Sign Brandon Carr, Not Morris Claiborne

49 posts in this topic

Confirmed: Tony Jefferson turned down more money from the Browns. Mike Williams showed speed to go with his monster size. Salary-cap update. Marqueston Huff signed with the Chiefs after the Ravens withdrew their tender.

View the full article

I was half way ok when it was Claiborne but this is just annoying.Brandon Carr is not a good player.Brandon Marshall wouldve given us WAY more bang for our buck with that 5 mill a year.Marshall,Wallace,Perriman and Pitta wouldve won alot more games for us than Jimmy Smith,Carr,Weddle and Jefferson will.We had the 17th ranked offense in yards per game and 21st ranked offense in scoring WITH Wagner and Smitty.Why is the front office piling all of our resources into one side of the ball????

Edited by HomeoftheBRAVENS

People will always complain no matter what. The same people crying we spent this money are the same people who cried when the Steelers walked all over our defense scoring 21 points in the fourth quarter and we couldn't stop ANY team in the fourth quarter. For all the Flacco bashing that goes on he was always able to get that score in the fourth quarter to put us ahead but the defense would turn right around and let the other team score and win. When you try to please everyone, you please no one. Thank goodness Ozzie doesn't listen to the people in here. Carr is a good, solid, press corner who is a reliable player who goes out every day and is successful and if your other corner is injury prone, you need someone reliable. If you watched Dallas last year, OCs went after Claiborne, not Carr. There is a reason for that. Claiborne was a sporadic, fly around, get caught out of position corner, fooled on the double move and Carr was a solid, Fluid, press corner who was always within a step of his guy. Educate yourself, if you have access to the Cowboys games, watch them and then tell me Carr's money was a waste.

I was half way ok when it was Claiborne but this is just silly.Brandon Marshall wouldve given us WAY more bang for our buck with that 5 mill a year.Marshall,Wallace,Perriman and Pitta wouldve won alot more games for us than Jimmy Smith,Carr,Weddle and Jefferson will.We had the 17th ranked offense in yards per game and 21st ranked offense in scoring WITH Wagner and Smitty.Why is the front office piling all of our resources into one side of the ball????

Cause when we had our winning ways, its all about Defense & It starts with that!

I was half way ok when it was Claiborne but this is just silly.Brandon Marshall wouldve given us WAY more bang for our buck with that 5 mill a year.Marshall,Wallace,Perriman and Pitta wouldve won alot more games for us than Jimmy Smith,Carr,Weddle and Jefferson will.We had the 17th ranked offense in yards per game and 21st ranked offense in scoring WITH Wagner and Smitty.Why is the front office piling all of our resources into one side of the ball????

We will have to wait to see how the rest of FA and the draft shape up but this may be an indication that the FO has moved on from trying to create a high powered offense with Joe Flacco as the leader of this team. Back to what worked. Dominant defense with a game managing QB who has the potential to be great but needs a little help when he is not. Grinding out wins the old fashioned way. I am a little concerned by the lack of emphasis on the Oline though. If we somehow start the season with big maulers at C and RT and pick up a true starting RB it may confirm this shift. Bringing in Roman doesn't hurt either.

Now Ozzie can we get Zach Brown and Mangold?, if we can sign those 2, I'm ready for the Draft

That's exactly what l'm waiting for next for Ozzie to sign... Zach Brown.

What's funny about that interview is right before that comment he said he rejected an offer from the Cards because he felt they low balled him.

1 hour ago, fusuymada said:

People will always complain no matter what. The same people crying we spent this money are the same people who cried when the Steelers walked all over our defense scoring 21 points in the fourth quarter and we couldn't stop ANY team in the fourth quarter. For all the Flacco bashing that goes on he was always able to get that score in the fourth quarter to put us ahead but the defense would turn right around and let the other team score and win. When you try to please everyone, you please no one. Thank goodness Ozzie doesn't listen to the people in here. Carr is a good, solid, press corner who is a reliable player who goes out every day and is successful and if your other corner is injury prone, you need someone reliable. If you watched Dallas last year, OCs went after Claiborne, not Carr. There is a reason for that. Claiborne was a sporadic, fly around, get caught out of position corner, fooled on the double move and Carr was a solid, Fluid, press corner who was always within a step of his guy. Educate yourself, if you have access to the Cowboys games, watch them and then tell me Carr's money was a waste.

The Ravens had either 7-0, or 10-0 leads in the 1st quarter six times last year. Then never scored more than 23 points in any of those games. COMPLETE tank by the AWFUL QB and the AWFUL HC and OC the Ravens pay to LOSE. The Steelers scored 14 points in the first game also, in the fourth quarter, with their offense on the field for nearly 12 minutes. Same as the Ravens O scored the entire game. It's money wasted, no matter who they sign, as long as Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John are still on this team. Educate yourself.

Edited by 20306cab

2 minutes ago, 20306cab said:

The Ravens had either 7-0, or 10-0 leads in the 1st quarter six times last year. Then never scored more than 23 points in any of those games. COMPLETE tank by the AWFUL QB and the AWFUL HC and OC the Ravens pay to LOSE. The Steelers scored 14 points in that game, in the fourth quarter, with their offense on the field for nearly 12 minutes. Same as the Ravens O scored the entire game. It's money wasted, no matter who they sign, as long as Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John are still on this team. Educate yourself.

Can't blame Joe for that Steelers game though he played well. The defense lost the game for us because of the secondary and that's why we upgrading it in free agency. 

You said what I was thinking way better than I could. I actually like our free agency period so far. I believe Ozzie has a plan in the works for our offense that he will address in due time. In the mean time, he is working to make our defense as stout as he can and I like it!

32 minutes ago, hen826957 said:
38 minutes ago, 20306cab said:

The Ravens had either 7-0, or 10-0 leads in the 1st quarter six times last year. Then never scored more than 23 points in any of those games. COMPLETE tank by the AWFUL QB and the AWFUL HC and OC the Ravens pay to LOSE. The Steelers scored 14 points in that game, in the fourth quarter, with their offense on the field for nearly 12 minutes. Same as the Ravens O scored the entire game. It's money wasted, no matter who they sign, as long as Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John are still on this team. Educate yourself.

Can't blame Joe for that Steelers game though he played well. The defense lost the game for us because of the secondary and that's why we upgrading it in free agency. 

Fans like to forget that - although it really was a solid unit most of the time - our formidable D lost us at least 3 games last season... games we had the lead at the end of the game, and all the D was supposed to do was stopping them one more time... and they let them march down the field and score. The Pittsburgh game was one of them. And it would have been 4 if the Eagles convert that 2-point attempt...

Edited by bioLarzen

1 hour ago, HomeoftheBRAVENS said:

I was half way ok when it was Claiborne but this is just annoying.Brandon Carr is not a good player.

I've already put it here yesterday, but hey: last season Carr covered Odell beckham, AJ Green, Mike Evans and Golden Tate for most of a total of 5 games, and he allowed a total of 1 TD on these games - and even that wasn't really on him, but blown coverage of the safety. He covered OBJ in 6 games and never allowed a 100-yard game for him.

Sounds like good enough for me.

Also, you don't play 144 games in the NFL if you're "not a good player"...

2 hours ago, HomeoftheBRAVENS said:

I was half way ok when it was Claiborne but this is just annoying.Brandon Carr is not a good player.

I've already put it here yesterday, but hey: last season Carr covered Odell beckham, AJ Green, Mike Evans and Golden Tate for most of a total of 5 games, and he allowed a total of 1 TD on these games - and even that wasn't really on him, but blown coverage of the safety. He covered OBJ in 6 games and never allowed a 100-yard game for him.

Sounds like good enough for me.

Also, you don't play 144 games in the NFL if you're "not a good player"...

and add the number of TD that Shareece allow last year.
This is definitely an upgrade to the secondary. Not said that Carr is better than Jimmy but PFF had Carr rate higher than Jimmy. So we are good now in the secondary. 2 more CBs in the draft to add them to Canady for depth.

I think Brandon Carr was a blessing in disguise. Availability trumps availability regardless of talent. I would rather have 100% of 10,000 than have 0% of a million! Great signing by the Ravens even though they almost went for that 0% deal....

Edited by ellicottraven

If we some how could get Zach brown i hear everyone is talking about and mangold we would be set. I hope and pray in the draft we take Rusher first CB 2nd. but seriously guys if mike williams is there it could change our fortune for years to come. Just to think about it.

Wish I lot more players were like Tony Jefferson, many take the money and never come close to winning a Superbowl. Not sure how Jimmy is ranked 41st, he doesn't get beat much and im 100% sure there's not 40 other CB's that played better than he did, when he was on the field

30 minutes ago, LeBron said:

If we some how could get Zach brown i hear everyone is talking about and mangold we would be set. I hope and pray in the draft we take Rusher first CB 2nd. but seriously guys if mike williams is there it could change our fortune for years to come. Just to think about it.

If Mike Williams is there l'll take him but it's a long shot. I like Derek Barnett as well. Everyone is agreeing about Zack Brown. I hope Ozzie is giving him a call. Having Zach Brown along with Jefferson and the D-line is a dangerous defense. 3 years 20M will be probably enough to get him. 

Edited by hen826957

2 hours ago, fusuymada said:

The Ravens had either 7-0, or 10-0 leads in the 1st quarter six times last year. Then never scored more than 23 points in any of those games. COMPLETE tank by the AWFUL QB and the AWFUL HC and OC the Ravens pay to LOSE. The Steelers scored 14 points in the first game also, in the fourth quarter, with their offense on the field for nearly 12 minutes. Same as the Ravens O scored the entire game. It's money wasted, no matter who they sign, as long as Pathetic Joe and Self Righteous John are still on this team. Educate yourself.

So by your thinking no matter how many points an awful D gives up, it's the O's fault for not keeping up? Uhh, OK, got it. smh.

What's funny about that interview is right before that comment he said he rejected an offer from the Cards because he felt they low balled him.

I would take that to mean the Ravens offered less than Cleveland, but more than Cards.

56 minutes ago, LeBron said:

If Mike Williams is there l'll take him but it's a long shot. I like Derek Barnett as well. Everyone is agreeing about Zack Brown. I hope Ozzie is giving him a call. Having Zach Brown along with Jefferson and the D-line is a dangerous defense. 3 years 20M will be probably enough to get him. 

I hear everyone talking about this Zach Brown guy. Yeah that would be great and all, but he's gonna be pretty expensive I'm sure (even though ILBs aren't highly paid). It wouldn't surprise me if he will get 5-6 million a year if not a little more. He has also had only one year of production really.

I'm all for drafting Foster. We would get him on his rookie deal and we could sign CJ long term. Foster and CJ together in the middle of our defense with what is in front and behind them would be ferocious. Foster can do it all, and delivers the boom when he hits people. I don't know if I have ever seen a LB coming out of college deliver hits the way he does. He can cover, attacks the LOS, and plays fast. Foster is the only player I would want that doesn't play OL, WR, pass rusher, or CB.

They did low ball him for the way he has played. They offered him a 3 year 12 million dollar deal. Then I think they offered him 4 years 24 was the most they would go. The 3 year 12 million feels kind of like a low ball when you're the type of player he is.

38 minutes ago, hen826957 said:
  1 hour ago, LeBron said:

I hear everyone talking about this Zach Brown guy. Yeah that would be great and all, but he's gonna be pretty expensive I'm sure (even though ILBs aren't highly paid). It wouldn't surprise me if he will get 5-6 million a year if not a little more. He has also had only one year of production really.

I'm all for drafting Foster. We would get him on his rookie deal and we could sign CJ long term. Foster and CJ together in the middle of our defense with what is in front and behind them would be ferocious. Foster can do it all, and delivers the boom when he hits people. I don't know if I have ever seen a LB coming out of college deliver hits the way he does. He can cover, attacks the LOS, and plays fast. Foster is the only player I would want that doesn't play OL, WR, pass rusher, or CB.

Foster is a great pick but we probably have to use a 1st round pick for him. Zack Brown is a guy that we could fill the void right now. But either way, it's fine. 👍

11 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

Foster is a great pick but we probably have to use a 1st round pick for him. Zack Brown is a guy that we could fill the void right now. But either way, it's fine. 👍

Yeah that's the tough decision, we have some holes we need to fill, especially offensively. But if we go best player available, he may be that guy.

7 minutes ago, J.O.14 said:

Yeah that's the tough decision, we have some holes we need to fill, especially offensively. But if we go best player available, he may be that guy.

Yeah and that's why l why l want them to get Zach Brown so we wouldn't have to use the first pick on a LB. We could use that first round pick on Wr/Passrusher like a Mike Williams or a Derek Barnett instead. 👍

Edited by hen826957

Interesting to know: We signed Carr for more than the Jets signed Claiborne. Claiborne got a 1 year $5 million deal from Jets....I thought we were offering that? Maybe we wanted Carr more.