BR News

[News] Ravens Reach Four-Year Agreement With Cornerback Brandon Carr

172 posts in this topic

Carr is decent but a far cry from what the Ravens need across the entire roster......premium top shelf talent. We're spending our money on safeties, ILBs and DTs. Again, no top notch CBs, no top notch pass rushers.

Did some research on these boards back when we signed Both Arrington and K Lewis.  A lot of people on these boards were excited back then too, especially with Arrington.  Not trying to bad mouth signing Carr, but I for one will have a wait and see perspective. 

Delusional fans. Arrington was released by the Patriots the week before we signed him and we acted like we stole a prized free agent from someone. He sucks.

On 3/16/2017 at 6:28 PM, Militant X 1 said:

And a few of my friends that are Cowboys fans have said thank you for taking him off of their hands.  

Lol they better find someone to cover obj , torry , Jeffry's ,, Marshall, in that division 

The Cowboys problem is they were paying Carr a ton of money weren't seeing that kind of performance. Claiborne was horrible up until last year (and often injured). He was the 6th overall pick in the draft so a huge disappointment. Carr plays every game and is decent, again not a bad pickup at all for the right price (think Corey Graham). I just can't believe that's all we're going with as bad as we've been at CB the past 3 years.

1 minute ago, GENE2407 said:

Carr is decent but a far cry from what the Ravens need across the entire roster......premium top shelf talent. We're spending our money on safeties, ILBs and DTs. Again, no top notch CBs, no top notch pass rushers.

We signed the best safety and DT in free agency, and a solid (read average but healthy and available) CB, and a very good backup QB.  I'd call that an excellent haul for a team that started free agency near the bottom of the league in cap space.  

Ozzie will find playmakers in the first 3 rounds at WR, Edge, and CB.  Later rounds may find a serviceable OL to compete with the guys already on the roster.  That leaves ILB and FB as gaps.  The former better be filled by Correa, McClellan or Onwuasor (kid is a baller).  The latter can be had as a cheap FA, 4th-6th round pick, or Nick Boyle.

I like the way the FO filled out the roster in free agency in general.  Still have some cap to pounce on roster purges with upside after mid-May, when we no longer lose a comp pick.

Well there really aren't any top notch CBs or top notch pass rushers that actually hit FA these days. Those are players you draft, not players you sign as FAs.

2 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

I think you need to take context into account on this though.

When we signed Arrington, he was strictly as a slot corner who was supposed to cover inside with Webb and Jimmy on the outside. He also spent much of his time here injured, obviously missing all of 2016.

Would also added that we signed him to a 3 year deal worth $7M total, which means he's less than a $3M a year player. That's not exactly giving him a big chunk of change, or viewing him as a key player.

Lewis also didn't sign for that much, and was actually a decent starter on prior teams (KC and Houston). Not a stud player by any stretch, and not sure he was ever really signed to be a starter either.

I agree with the premise that we typically think most FAs we sign our studs, and these two turned out not to be, but its important to consider context and cost in this.

Its possible we will hear in a year that somebody like a Danny Woodhead was a bad signing because his role wasn't big enough, but again, when you factor in cost and how we committed to him, its not really much.

No different than giving somebody like Ben Watson a cheap, 2 year contract. If it works out, its a bargain. If it doesn't, you move on quickly without substantial cap impact.

Not every FA we sign as a world of expectations when they come in. Given that we gave Carr $6M a year, I would say expectations are obviously higher than Arrington, but also the structure of the deal dictates that we aren't extremely confident in him, and could move on quickly if things deteriorate. Jefferson and Williams are the only two signings I've seen so far that we are actually committed to for at least 3 years.

Thank's. Had forgotten about the injuries. So if healthy, he may still pan out even as a backup cb. Let's hope. As far as cost goes, it doesn't explain the zealousness of the fandom here. I'm just saying that we should be cautious with our expectations so that we're not so let down if in fact a signing doesn't pan out in the long run, but then again, who am I to ruin people's fun?

Finally, some civil informative posts.

I'll be interested to get your take on Jefferson and Carr once we're into the season. I smell a 180 in the future

7 hours ago, GENE2407 said:

Well there really aren't any top notch CBs or top notch pass rushers that actually hit FA these days. Those are players you draft, not players you sign as FAs.

Exactly. And when those players do hit the market they usually get overpaid by about 20%. That's why we've "struggled" for years now. Picking decent players is one thing, but when we miss 100% with high picks like we've done, you can't hide from it. Can't imagine how much worse we would've been recently without 2 lucky additions of Weddle and Smitty

Carr is not expected to be our #1 corner. Obviously. Even right now, before the draft, if Jimmy went down during the year, Carr could still stay at number 2. Tavon proved he could cover anyone last year. He ran with Antonio Brown down the Field, and he lined up face to face vs Eifert on the 5 yard line, while giving up 9 inches. And stopped him during a jump ball toss for a TD.
Carr is a solid corner and what we needed. He will easily look much better on our D than he did with Dallas. Really glad we signed him. And I'm not saying he's supposed to be the same player as they would be, but now we're not cornered into taking a CB in the first or second if it doesn't work out that way. Myself and many others believe our secondary will truly be elite now, and all 5 members should be here for at least 2 more years. So spending the #16 pick on something other than a corner would be the wisest thing now imo. We have a couple other big holes. Great move FO. Not to mention it's only a 1 or 2 year deal if we want. And for all of you that wanted Claiborne- bringing in a guy that literally spends more time in the tub than he does on the field, and isn't even a stud when he is on the field? That sounds like a good idea.............
Corners are already dropping likes flies in this amazing corner class too, and there's still almost a month and a half til the draft. Sidney Jones down. Jourdan Lewis might have just taken himself off of many draft boards. Finish FA off with Mangold, Zach Brown, or both, and I'll be counting down the days til the draft

On 3/17/2017 at 2:10 AM, sizzlingdoom said:

Alright RaRaRavens, bare with me as a long response is coming. And that's cuz I'm stoked on what we're doing, the two of us have pretty much seen eye to eye on everything since the end of the season, and I'm at work and have plenty of time.
In general it seems like most teams are always going to be better on one side of the ball naturally. And there are always holes to fill on teams somewhere. Having said that, I'm extremely glad we seem to be going heavy defensively again. But, I don't think our offense has as many "holes" as people think.
I think our biggest problems on Offense last year were the 2 most important things. The qb and coaching. We're bringing back the same coaching......I couldn't make much sense of that, but it is what it is. And I honestly think Joe will have a bounce back year for a few reasons, his knee being a big one. But most importantly he has to want to, or else...well, yeah.
But aside from those 2 things, I don't think the positions to fill are that bad. We have talent. We need 2 lineman. A center and a RT or LG depending on where we're gonna play Lewis. Those aren't positions that necessarily require high picks or big contracts. And Jensen could be a guy to earn the Center or LG spot. Also, while we need to fill those 2 spots, it's not like we have bums at the other 3 spots either. 2 Mega studs and then a lot of people like Lewis. While we need to fill those 2 spots, if they are filled correctly, our line will be beastly and set for a while. There are still FAs and cuts too.
Then we need a possession wr and red zone target. I think Perriman will take a big step forward this year, and Wallace and Moore can ball if they're complemented correctly. I'm really liking Ju Ju Smith in the second. I think that would be perfect. But I also think we can get away with a wr in rounds 3-5, if we chose well. Which we don't typically do with wideouts. Bound to hit eventually though.
That only leaves the painful gap created by Dixon's suspension to finish off the Offense imo. I really don't think we need to take a rb high this year, at all. I think we'll be fine there. I would love it though if Charles is healthy though and signed a one year deal. He wouldn't have to carry the load at all and would be a great addition. Even at 90%.
While that leaves a solid 3-5 picks for Offense. I think those can all be done with our 4 picks between the 2nd and 4th........( Sleeper Pick...Corey Davis in the 1rst!!!) that would be super interesting!
Also, I think the offensive FA Market was ugly this year. I'm glad we didn't waste money there, or sign a Garcon, Woods, or Britt. Especially while expecting them to be number ones.

Now, the defense...it really is starting to get back to Raven Defense. This season is going to be fun because of it alone regardless of finishing place or anything.
With good reason, I don't think the average fan understands what's going to happen once we not only add Jefferson to the Defense, but pair him with Weddle. I live in CA and have seen Jefferson jump off the screen in Cards games for years now..always wondering who he was. Even so, I still kinda missed on him in FA this year, kinda cuz I thought he was going to get a bit more money. But after studying a bit, this guy checks every box and then some. Seriously, I don't know how many football players I've seen that are as versatile as he is. He can cover, amazing tackler and physical, and he can blitz like a LB. And even though he'll be around the line most of the time, at times we'll see if he can play Center field as well. He's a leader and locker room guy too. A++ to the FO for that pick up.
BWill......sweeet! didn't see that coming. Appears he didn't really have a big market. Plus I'm glad we weren't scared off by an extra mil or two per year. Our run defense is set for years now and that's where it all starts.
Carr- awesome pick up. I seriously Cannot believe seeing these fans posts that wanted Claiborne. I think I would've had to start taking MMA classes just to let out steam if we signed Claiborne lol. Carr is a stud. He was a stud in KC for a reason...people will see. SO much more flexibility going into the draft now. Not to mention our secondary is set for years now, and easily top 5 imo. Easily. Mr Tavon Young now = the best slot corner in the game imo. All 3 corners are different sizes too.
I'm not worried about MLB what so ever. Signing Brown would be amazing though. I also think we'll take a pass rusher in rounds one or 2. ( Harris, Taco, Lawson, and Barnett look good to me. I wouldn't touch Williams, even in the 2nd). Depending on how we finish this offseason, I think our D is poised to set records.

Sorry about the rant but I'm excited about the way things are looking. I could go on and on. I think the offensive holes can be filled before round 5. Our D just needs a finishing touch or two. I think it is going to be substantially better than last year, without doubt.
Let me know what you think....lol. I only post when I'm at work and have time to kill. I love my birds though. I've lived in CA my whole life and hope to make it to a game in Baltimore someday. The stadium seems like an awesome environment!

Some very nice and thorough thoughts, pleasant to read! And wow did you get me pumped up for 2017! lol

All in all I think you might be right. I do not share your big optimism regarding C or WR position however. I really don't see Jensen being able to handle C, let alone be an upgrade to Zuttah, who was mediocre. I've never been a huge fan of Jensen as a player, but who knows, maybe he will be the next player who comes into his own in his last year and plays himself out of our price range at LG. I sure hope so, that would allow us to move Lewis to RT and we'd only need a C and some depth to finish up the O-line. Still, don't think Jensen will be good enough of a starter.

As to WR, I was disappointed that we did not sign any of the vets out there when I saw how little they got paid. 5M for relatively sure pickups in either Marshall or Garcon would have gone a long way for us. Now, whatever we do it will be a huge question mark until we play a significant game come September. We might be off great with inhouse talents and drafted additions, but considering our history of drafting underachieving WRs and bad luck with injuries at the position, I don't see our WR core being in a great shape. Definitely not good enough to carry us deep into the playoffs, if it should come to that. Marty must get mighty creative with his weapons and Flacco must find a way to play well enough to help out his inexperienced WRs, something he has never been able to do.

But with the rest of it I agree, especially regarding defense. Gotta give it to Oz and the rest of the FO, they've pieced together the perfect FAs on defense that fir perfectly to what we're trying to do on defense. Now a disrupting pass rusher and a starter at MLB and we're set. Everything on from there will be just quality depth.

lol, same here. Mostly post from work on slower days. I'm following the best team in NFL from the other end of the globe, though. Making it to a Ravens game would be awesome! Bummed that I can't make it to the Ravens game in UK, but one day...

Lol. We'll both make it to a game someday.
I hear you in terms of worrying about the Center and Wr position.
A couple things on that. I wish we would've traded for Marshall. But we didn't. So. I would love it if we took Ju Ju Smith in the 2nd. Looks like exactly what we need imo. Corey Davis would also seem to fix that wr issue. Another user also just brought to my attention that Ross might be more than a one trick pony. I doubt we take him, but he looks crazy good, and not a just a one trick pony at all. He might be a star, and quick. He's a little bigger than Desean Jackson and Antonio Brown too, I wouldn't have guessed that from film. So those could be 3 great wr options in the draft. I'm not the biggest fan of Williams, but it would probably be silly to pass on him at 16.
Also, as we're starting to see top tier offensive lines dominate games and seasons more these past few seasons, I think it's possible the FO takes Lamp or Freeney or someone. Maybe later in the first after trading down and getting another pick for another hole. A lot of people think those 2 will be pro bowl type of stuff from day 1 for any interior offensive line position. The LSU and Ohio State Centers could be options as well, maybe in the second. Mangold could still be an option as well. We're not the best at 2nd roundish picks. Which scares me. Despite that, I don't care how we do it, but I really wish we would choose 2 or 3 times in the second round this year. I feel like the players that will go between 30-55 in this draft, could easily go in the first round in most drafts. Deep and interesting draft class. Not too many guys I'm nuts about at 16, but there are so many people I would love for the team that will probably go between 24-45.
I'll keep it shorter this time. But good chattin. I'm stoked for the draft. Plus I'm about to get off my work shift, yes!

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Crusader said:

I'll be interested to get your take on Jefferson and Carr once we're into the season. I smell a 180 in the future

180 from what? I watched Jefferson before he'll be fine. Just not a fan of getting NFC secondary guys. NE got 4 of 6 free agents from AFC opponents. Untill I see the second game I'm sticking with 8-8. Just too much turnover.

On 3/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, rmcjacket23 said:

Does it look like I am?

I'm on suspension from the forum until the end of the month, but clearly you couldn't live without me though...

You are very possibly a factor in the closing of the boards you live for!  How ironic! It would not surprise me. 

If I were the Ravens I would close it with your stupendous arrogance. 

On 3/17/2017 at 10:23 AM, rmcjacket23 said:

Does it look like I am?

I'm on suspension from the forum until the end of the month, but clearly you couldn't live without me though...

You are very possibly a factor in the closing of the boards you live for!  How ironic! It would not surprise me. 

LOL, nice try kid.

I guess you didn't read the reasons why they closed it at all.

But hey, your infatuation with me is nothing to be ashamed of. Its certainly not creepy at all, no matter what anybody says.

16 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:
  21 hours ago, Crusader said:

180 from what? I watched Jefferson before he'll be fine. Just not a fan of getting NFC secondary guys. NE got 4 of 6 free agents from AFC opponents. Untill I see the second game I'm sticking with 8-8. Just too much turnover.

Still waiting for literally any sort of proof that players changing conferences has any impact on performance whatsoever.

Maybe one day this will have some actual substance behind it.

2 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

LOL, nice try kid.

But hey, your infatuation with me is nothing to be ashamed of. Its certainly not creepy at all, no matter what anybody says.

'I'll send you a therapy dog as we get closer to the closing of this board. 

I know you are gonna need it . 

Edited by jimmypowder

5 hours ago, jimmypowder said:

or maybe they closed it down because people like you kept using it to practice flirting...

i dont get what you people are arguing about. 
he's not a terrible cornerback, but he's not at all great either. 

As long as Jimmy and Tavon are on the field, they'll be picking on Carr. He's an average talent that can be exploited. 

14 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

LOL, nice try kid.

'I'll send you a therapy dog as we get closer to the closing of this board. 

I know you are gonna need it . 

Now you're spending money on me?

OK, I lied. Now its creepy.

21 hours ago, riseNConquer81 said:

i dont get what you people are arguing about. 
he's not a terrible cornerback, but he's not at all great either. 

As long as Jimmy and Tavon are on the field, they'll be picking on Carr. He's an average talent that can be exploited. 

which is where safeties come in... you dont have to leave him on an island 1v1

23 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Now you're spending money on me?

OK, I lied. Now its creepy.

The snowflake is gonna need it!

23 hours ago, rossihunter2 said:

which is where safeties come in... you dont have to leave him on an island 1v1

there are only two routes on the tree that go into safety territory. Going deep isnt the only way to beat a corner. 
Range is a concern if Jefferson and Weddle are going to be starting, so i dont expect to see any safeties dropping into passing lanes down low. probably a lot of conservative looking coverage which leaves guys plenty of room to shake and bake or pick Carr off. 

Edited by riseNConquer81