BR News

[News] Ravens Reach Four-Year Agreement With Cornerback Brandon Carr

172 posts in this topic

Beautiful signing. Keep it up FO.
A pass rusher in the first or second and we will have the number one D.
Zach Brown would not only be a cherry on top, but more like throwing a whole extra Sundea on top

2 hours ago, Vitalvicious said:

I wouldn't consider this an upgrade. This guy is not good I'm sorry!

Why do you say that?

Is it because he held OBJ to 73 yards & 94 yards? Or is because he held AJ Green to 50 yards (0 TDs)? Or maybe because he held Mike Evans to 59 yards (0 TDs)? Then it must be Alshon Jeffery's 70 yards & 0 TDs? Jordy Nelson's 68 yards & 0 TDs?

Yeah, that guy is no good....

These arent really impressive performances. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

certainly against these kinds of talents, the damage couldve been worse, but 70+ yards is still a lot. Giving up that kind of space is nothing to brag about.

The NFL is all about the situation you're in. NOT stats. The people that are just peeping from the outside and just looking at stats have no idea. This is a great signing, and I'm all but sure the whole fan base will agree a few weeks into the season. Our defense...................... :)

Btw didn't see anything here about it so, it looks like the deal is a 4 year 24 million dollar deal. But supposedly it's more like a 2 year, 12 million dollar deal, with opt out options and all that good stuff. Just in case people were curious. Sounds like it could even be a one year if we want. But I have a feeling we'll want this man around for at least 2 years

I'm starting to wonder if we even out all the possible compensatory picks we would've received from Wag, Juice, others leaving by all these signings we've made?

3 hours ago, Vitalvicious said:

Why do you say that?

Is it because he held OBJ to 73 yards & 94 yards? Or is because he held AJ Green to 50 yards (0 TDs)? Or maybe because he held Mike Evans to 59 yards (0 TDs)? Then it must be Alshon Jeffery's 70 yards & 0 TDs? Jordy Nelson's 68 yards & 0 TDs?

what a bum, right. lol at all who think this wasn't a brilliant pick up.

3 hours ago, Vitalvicious said:

Why do you say that?

Not to mention he had to play one on one all the way down the field a lot of the time with them. And Dallas didn't have a pass rush at all
There's a reason this guy was a Stud in KC. He was surrounded by talent and wasn't counted on to be the number 1 CB. Just like here. And here is a stud. Great addition. I'm starting to get so stoked about the D I don't even care about the Offense lol

all these defensive signings make it look like the FO has finally completely given up on Flacco and the offense and are banking on the defense to score all the points as well. jk ofcourse, but our O is not receiving nearly any help at all, whilst it very very badly needs it. woodhead signing was nice, but we had starters at the position. we're still missing a lot of other starters on O and now can add C to that list.

all these defensive signings make it look like the FO has finally completely given up on Flacco and the offense and are banking on the defense to score all the points as well. jk ofcourse, but our O is not receiving nearly any help at all, whilst it very very badly needs it. woodhead signing was nice, but we had starters at the position. we're still missing a lot of other starters on O and now can add C to that list.

Alright RaRaRavens, bare with me as a long response is coming. And that's cuz I'm stoked on what we're doing, the two of us have pretty much seen eye to eye on everything since the end of the season, and I'm at work and have plenty of time.
In general it seems like most teams are always going to be better on one side of the ball naturally. And there are always holes to fill on teams somewhere. Having said that, I'm extremely glad we seem to be going heavy defensively again. But, I don't think our offense has as many "holes" as people think.
I think our biggest problems on Offense last year were the 2 most important things. The qb and coaching. We're bringing back the same coaching......I couldn't make much sense of that, but it is what it is. And I honestly think Joe will have a bounce back year for a few reasons, his knee being a big one. But most importantly he has to want to, or else...well, yeah.
But aside from those 2 things, I don't think the positions to fill are that bad. We have talent. We need 2 lineman. A center and a RT or LG depending on where we're gonna play Lewis. Those aren't positions that necessarily require high picks or big contracts. And Jensen could be a guy to earn the Center or LG spot. Also, while we need to fill those 2 spots, it's not like we have bums at the other 3 spots either. 2 Mega studs and then a lot of people like Lewis. While we need to fill those 2 spots, if they are filled correctly, our line will be beastly and set for a while. There are still FAs and cuts too.
Then we need a possession wr and red zone target. I think Perriman will take a big step forward this year, and Wallace and Moore can ball if they're complemented correctly. I'm really liking Ju Ju Smith in the second. I think that would be perfect. But I also think we can get away with a wr in rounds 3-5, if we chose well. Which we don't typically do with wideouts. Bound to hit eventually though.
That only leaves the painful gap created by Dixon's suspension to finish off the Offense imo. I really don't think we need to take a rb high this year, at all. I think we'll be fine there. I would love it though if Charles is healthy though and signed a one year deal. He wouldn't have to carry the load at all and would be a great addition. Even at 90%.
While that leaves a solid 3-5 picks for Offense. I think those can all be done with our 4 picks between the 2nd and 4th........( Sleeper Pick...Corey Davis in the 1rst!!!) that would be super interesting!
Also, I think the offensive FA Market was ugly this year. I'm glad we didn't waste money there, or sign a Garcon, Woods, or Britt. Especially while expecting them to be number ones.

Now, the defense...it really is starting to get back to Raven Defense. This season is going to be fun because of it alone regardless of finishing place or anything.
With good reason, I don't think the average fan understands what's going to happen once we not only add Jefferson to the Defense, but pair him with Weddle. I live in CA and have seen Jefferson jump off the screen in Cards games for years now..always wondering who he was. Even so, I still kinda missed on him in FA this year, kinda cuz I thought he was going to get a bit more money. But after studying a bit, this guy checks every box and then some. Seriously, I don't know how many football players I've seen that are as versatile as he is. He can cover, amazing tackler and physical, and he can blitz like a LB. And even though he'll be around the line most of the time, at times we'll see if he can play Center field as well. He's a leader and locker room guy too. A++ to the FO for that pick up.
BWill......sweeet! didn't see that coming. Appears he didn't really have a big market. Plus I'm glad we weren't scared off by an extra mil or two per year. Our run defense is set for years now and that's where it all starts.
Carr- awesome pick up. I seriously Cannot believe seeing these fans posts that wanted Claiborne. I think I would've had to start taking MMA classes just to let out steam if we signed Claiborne lol. Carr is a stud. He was a stud in KC for a reason...people will see. SO much more flexibility going into the draft now. Not to mention our secondary is set for years now, and easily top 5 imo. Easily. Mr Tavon Young now = the best slot corner in the game imo. All 3 corners are different sizes too.
I'm not worried about MLB what so ever. Signing Brown would be amazing though. I also think we'll take a pass rusher in rounds one or 2. ( Harris, Taco, Lawson, and Barnett look good to me. I wouldn't touch Williams, even in the 2nd). Depending on how we finish this offseason, I think our D is poised to set records.

Sorry about the rant but I'm excited about the way things are looking. I could go on and on. I think the offensive holes can be filled before round 5. Our D just needs a finishing touch or two. I think it is going to be substantially better than last year, without doubt.
Let me know what you think....lol. I only post when I'm at work and have time to kill. I love my birds though. I've lived in CA my whole life and hope to make it to a game in Baltimore someday. The stadium seems like an awesome environment!

I hope we don't regret paying Claiborne the extra $2M he was after.  Carr may be more available and experienced (aka old), but that only matters if he is effective while he's on the field.  After all, the FO had no trouble signing Woodhead, who is injured, injury prone, and the wrong side of 30. 

I hope we don't regret paying Claiborne the extra $2M he was after.  Carr may be more available and experienced (aka old), but that only matters if he is effective while he's on the field.  After all, the FO had no trouble signing Woodhead, who is injured, injury prone, and the wrong side of 30. 

Really? I would've been severely bummed if we payed him the vet minimum. The guy has missed more games than he's played........in his career! Then only has 4 picks, in his career. I don't understand why any team would want to not only pay him, but rely on him too. Especially our fans that have watched Jimmy go down and have seen what happens when he does. I just can't see how one of our fans wanted to pay that guy, and rely on him

Awesome!
Anyone know why Arrington is still on the team, I mean really. I think it's pretty clear Watson should go as well. That right there is enough to sign Zach Brown......make that happen, and this would be the best Free Agency for the Ravens ever imo

I am 100% happy with this move I think its a great signing. Who says he actually going to start and yes Claiborne is just too injury prone. We don't need another one going down all the time. I still see them drafting a CB in the 2nd RD. IMO just get rid of Arrington and Watson bring in maybe Mangold and Zach Brown or Kevin Minter (either or is fine again need depth at those positions.) I think were going to see in the draft just pure opinion here but I think we see them have here Mike Williams or Corey Davis fall to them in the first round. They'll finally give Flacco a true blue number one. Then from there I see RD2 CB, RD3 ILB, RD3 (COMP) OL, RD4 Safety, RD5 WR (for more depth) and RD6 CB. they don't need pass rushers yet its too soon to give up or Correa Kafusi and Judon just yet they still need time. Remember this team invested 3 draft picks for the pass rush last year so I'm not really to concerned with that position just yet those guys need to have a shot first before we can just write them off. I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty great year!!!! GO RAVENS!!! INOZZIEWETRUST!!!!

Nowwe need the other side CB

Jimmy and Brandon on the outside with Tavon in the slot. Tavon can play the outside too

I am 100% happy with this move I think its a great signing. Who says he actually going to start and yes Claiborne is just too injury prone. We don't need another one going down all the time. I still see them drafting a CB in the 2nd RD. IMO just get rid of Arrington and Watson bring in maybe Mangold and Zach Brown or Kevin Minter (either or is fine again need depth at those positions.) I think were going to see in the draft just pure opinion here but I think we see them have here Mike Williams or Corey Davis fall to them in the first round. They'll finally give Flacco a true blue number one. Then from there I see RD2 CB, RD3 ILB, RD3 (COMP) OL, RD4 Safety, RD5 WR (for more depth) and RD6 CB. they don't need pass rushers yet its too soon to give up or Correa Kafusi and Judon just yet they still need time. Remember this team invested 3 draft picks for the pass rush last year so I'm not really to concerned with that position just yet those guys need to have a shot first before we can just write them off. I'm thinking this is going to be a pretty great year!!!! GO RAVENS!!! INOZZIEWETRUST!!!!

I thought we were finally giving Joe a true blue number one WR when we picked Perriman with our #1 pick in the 2015 Draft. I could accept his mediocrity if he was picked in the 4th or 5th round. I agree with you on Judon as he can become a player. Big concerns about Correa. Getting Jefferson, Woodhead, Carr, and retaining Williams all solid moves.

43 minutes ago, RavenOs615 said:

I thought we were finally giving Joe a true blue number one WR when we picked Perriman with our #1 pick in the 2015 Draft. I could accept his mediocrity if he was picked in the 4th or 5th round. I agree with you on Judon as he can become a player. Big concerns about Correa. Getting Jefferson, Woodhead, Carr, and retaining Williams all solid moves.

Agree with all that. I hated the Perriman pick at the time and got in trouble at the pizza place I was at cuz of it. Having said that, last year was pretty much his rookie year, and our entire offense was a disaster at best. There's no way we can count on him to be a true #1, but I think he'll surprise some people this year. I think he can be a really nice number 2 if he really works on the little things and his routes

8 hours ago, TheConquerorWorm said:

Why do you say that?

You can throw out any state you want to against certain players. Where does he rank amongst every cornerback in the league? If he was so "good" why are the horrible Cowboys so willing to let him go? A 30 yr old CB signing a 4 year contract is a JOKE! 

6 hours ago, riseNConquer81 said:

These arent really impressive performances. I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

certainly against these kinds of talents, the damage couldve been worse, but 70+ yards is still a lot. Giving up that kind of space is nothing to brag about.

I'm not so sure these guys have watched this guy get torched week in and week out! Smh then go point out 6 decent games he's had over 40 seasons. Lol just like everyone here got on me about the Watson pick, I remember saying I bet he doesn't even make it through 6 weeks. Heck he didn't even get out of preseason. I'm not impressed with the guy at all Rise. But we shall see.

Why do you say that?

You can throw out any state you want to against certain players. Where does he rank amongst every cornerback in the league? If he was so "good" why are the horrible Cowboys so willing to let him go? A 30 yr old CB signing a 4 year contract is a JOKE! 

First of all, you can't always just go by age. Terrance Newman was ranked 9th out of all the corners in the league last year, and he's 39!!! Plus how good players look depends so much on the talent around them. The Cowboys had Zero pass rush. He will look like a stud, if not a solid player on our team for sure. It's basically a 2 year contract, even with a chance to get out of it the first year. CMON MAN

Why do you say that?

You have got to be kidding. I watched last year's cowboys games in condensed version last night on NFL mobile and it's hard to rack up stats when no one throws at you. How many interceptions does J Smith have in his career. Very few because you can't catch what's throw to the other side of the field.

The Cowboys have zero cap room that's why they lost their WHOLE secondary from safeties to Claibourne going to the Jets and Carr coming here. They spent their dollars on the offensive line, now if you argue that's what we should do, you have a leg to stand on, but he is a solid, press, corner who is a great fit opposite J Smith. People forget the salary cap has increased astronomically in the last 4 years and a 6 mil contract is a lot less of the total percentage of total cap space, considerably, since 2012.

It looks like the Ravens are getting back to defense first, second and third and if the offense can get 16 points in a game, then we can win. How many times did we cry about the offense scoring and taking the lead in the fourth quarter and the defense giving up a winning score in the last minute of the game. I remember the "Immaculate Stretch" by Brown that kept us out of the playoffs. Maybe bend don't break is an obsolete strategy. Bend not break is for losers, winners say your not getting a yard.

Christian McCaffrey @ 16, then ROT, C & defense in the first 2 days.

That's extremely interesting, and somehow it's a thought that hasn't even entered my mind this entire time at all. McCaffrey that is. He looks like he might translate to the next level. It's just really hard for me to tell. Plus there are going to be some other big time Offensive and Defensive Studs available at 16. I'm thinking Corey Davis might slip cuz of his ankle injury. That would be super interesting. McCaffrey is super interesting though cuz it could really fill 3 needs for us at once. Which is ridiculous! He could be a slot wr and a 3rd down move the chains guy we need. He can play some running back for us, especially with Dixon out. And he would be an awesome returner which we so desperately need. Super interesting thought Bruce_Almty . I'm thinking more and more we should trade down and get and extra 2nd or 3rd. With the way this draft lines up, I don't think there will be too big of a gap when it comes to our board and BPA, with the players going between 15-35. Even 45. This draft class is so loaded. I think at least half of the people picked in the second round this year would've easily gone in the first in most drafts. I'm stoked for the draft. Nervous. But more stoked

6 minutes ago, fusuymada said:

You have got to be kidding. I watched last year's cowboys games in condensed version last night on NFL mobile and it's hard to rack up stats when no one throws at you. How many interceptions does J Smith have in his career. Very few because you can't catch what's throw to the other side of the field.

The Cowboys have zero cap room that's why they lost their WHOLE secondary from safeties to Claibourne going to the Jets and Carr coming here. They spent their dollars on the offensive line, now if you argue that's what we should do, you have a leg to stand on, but he is a solid, press, corner who is a great fit opposite J Smith. People forget the salary cap has increased astronomically in the last 4 years and a 6 mil contract is a lot less of the total percentage of total cap space, considerably, since 2012.

It looks like the Ravens are getting back to defense first, second and third and if the offense can get 16 points in a game, then we can win. How many times did we cry about the offense scoring and taking the lead in the fourth quarter and the defense giving up a winning score in the last minute of the game. I remember the "Immaculate Stretch" by Brown that kept us out of the playoffs. Maybe bend don't break is an obsolete strategy. Bend not break is for losers, winners say your not getting a yard.

Lmao not thrown at???? My goodness man I'm not gonna argue. The team stats don't lie, Dallas as a team and Carr has been one of the worst secondarys in the nfl for yrs. Once he left K.C he has sucked and that has been proven. 2015 he ranked 73rd in the league giving up a Passer rating of 117. Oh yea those are shutdown stats, you can put lipstick on a pig as the old cliché goes, guess what, it's still a filthy animal. 

Dallas passing defense had one "good" year in 2015 and finished 5th in the NFL. The other past 7 years they finished 20th an below. Mostly around 26th out of 32 teams. If Carr was so good and the rest of the Dallas secondary players was so bad then why did Dallas allowed him to leave Note: 2015 year Carr was injured a lot. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/brandon-carr-player-injuries

There is much more to these signings than some of you realize. Lets start with why some cowboys fans were frustrated with Carr. He signed a 5 year 50 million dollar contract with 26 million guaranteed. You expect that player to be your #1 CB. Lucky for us he will be our #2 and Jimmy will cover the Antonio Browns of the world. He also signed with us for 4 years at 24 million with only 12 million guaranteed. Basically a prove it every year contract that is about as team friendly as you can get. So half the money and almost no risk. Unbelievable job by ozzie. It wasnt how carr played that upset cowboys fans. It was how he played when compared to their expectations. For those who are disappointed we didn't sign Claibourne, I understand. He has the potential to be a shut down corner but can you imagine if Jimmy and Claibourne were to both get injured at the same time. It would be a disaster and had a very good probability of happening at some point over the coming years. I am very excited to have Carr on our team and think he will give us some consistency. Something we have been lacking. 

51 minutes ago, Vitalvicious said:

Ranked around 30 as a cornerback with nothing around him on the Cowboys defense isn't terrible. He was a cheap signing and the deal is a 2 year deal that can be a 4 year deal if he continues to play at a high level. This team got one of the better complimentary corners in the league who has stayed healthy during his career. Also adds a big body on the outside. Some people just have to complain about everything.