BR News

[News] Ravens Reach Four-Year Agreement With Cornerback Brandon Carr

172 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, PeterA88 said:

Not sure how I feel about this. Young can play better.

you need more than 2 corners on a team... the slot corner is essentially a starter at this point in the league and one injury and you're gonna struggle - most teams realistically need 4 actually serviceable corners to function

3 minutes ago, PeterA88 said:

You can never have too many quality DBs. 

Side note: He's never missed a game in his career.  That's crazy. 

Young is a slot corner. We need guys that can cover the big bodied WR's and also quality depth. We still need to address the position in the 1st or 2nd round of the draft but I'm ok with the signing. Especially with Eric and Tony on the back in of the defense

Carr is a solid pick up. Hope he can return to form but at worst he is a solid player with a lot of experience He will add depth and time for whatever CB we draft to develop at his own pace. With Jimmy being injury prone... Carr's experience can go a long way. Like Ozzie said.... this makes us better but I would have rather had Claiborne. Either way.... it does make us deeper and better and I feel at worst, like Carr is a legit upgrade over Sharece Wright and at best, a signing that has potential to be great...

Ill take it!

Great veteran pickup getting Brandon Carr. He's more durable than Claiborne anyway. Good job Ozzie. 👍 Let's see what happens if we could get Zach Brown and Mangold. At least one more free agent.

Edited by hen826957

This is good. I really hope we can get another DB in the draft, the more depth you have, even if he only makes the practice squad it could play to our advantage later in the season and hopefully the playoffs.

We now have Carr and Tavon as slot CBs and much needed depth in our secondary. If we can find someone now to start opposite Jimmy (long term-bc Carr can fill the gap)... We can have a legit solid defense. With both Jefferson and Weddle in the back. Williams- Pierce- and Timmy upfront

Cj ad Suggs at LB... We are pretty stacked on defense

I wonder with this signing do we still go CB first round, or do we go for a ILB/pass rusher

I wonder with this signing do we still go CB first round, or do we go for a ILB/pass rusher

Since Ozzie takes the BPA, if it is a CB when we're on the board, I guess Ozzie will take the guy, regardless of this signing.

2 minutes ago, steelcityraven said:

We now have Carr and Tavon as slot CBs and much needed depth in our secondary. If we can find someone now to start opposite Jimmy (long term-bc Carr can fill the gap)... We can have a legit solid defense. With both Jefferson and Weddle in the back. Williams- Pierce- and Timmy upfront

Yep we are getting stacked. Turning out to be a scary defense. Pees all to you bud to have a successful playcalling this year. No more prevent defense in the 4th. 

There is no chance this team, based on what they have done and can feasibly do in the future, can make the playoffs. There is no offensive line and no playmakers. No pass rushers either. Sorry this can't all be recitified in the draft unless ozzie hits on every single pick which has never happened and won't happen. Wasted money on a overrated run stuffer. The only upgrade has been Jefferson. We downgraded on our O line RT. We havent improved, we are exactly the same last year with a worse offense.

2 minutes ago, JD08 said:

If we somehow can get Zach Brown, then l will go with either Passrusher/Wr like a Derek Barnett or a Mike Williams if he somehow slides. 

1 minute ago, Sami84 said:

There is no chance this team, based on what they have done and can feasibly do in the future, can make the playoffs. There is no offensive line and no playmakers. No pass rushers either. Sorry this can't all be recitified in the draft unless ozzie hits on every single pick which has never happened and won't happen. Wasted money on a overrated run stuffer. The only upgrade has been Jefferson. We downgraded on our O line RT. We havent improved, we are exactly the same last year with a worse offense.

We just have to depend on the defense this year. Can't fill every hole. 2018 will be more of a complete team because we will focus on upgrading the offense. 2017 l just hope we could make the playoffs and see what happens. 

our secondary is starting to look scary as long as we still draft one between the first 3 rounds i will be happy but I'm still concerned about the offense

8 minutes ago, JD08 said:

If we somehow can get Zach Brown, then l will go with either Passrusher/Wr like a Derek Barnett or a Mike Williams if he somehow slides. 

Mike Williams ran a 4.49 today, he'll probably be gone by the time our pick comes around

Just now, JD08 said:

Mike Williams ran a 4.49 today, he'll probably be gone by the time our pick comes around

Probably. 👍 

The picture is clear: Claiborne: better talent, higher star-factor, more potential for highlight reel plays - Carr: much higher consistency, and extreme durability. Claiborne will likely show you eye-popping stuff... when he's on the field, which is not really often. Carr won't make too many of those - but he won't be burned either.

If you take a look around 'Boys fans opinion on Carr, well, it's not the best things they say about him - but there's one fact for you: last season he played a total of 5 games covering Odell Beckham, AJ Green, Mike Evans and Golden Tate, and a gave up a total number of... (drumroll) 1 TD in these games - and even that wasn't really his fault. His last 5 games v the Giants he routinely covered Beckham - and OBJ never had a +100-yard game in this stretch.

Well, guys... if he puts up anything like this in purple & black, that's definitely OK with me.

Oh, and one more thing: many people think that the fact that he contemplated retirement means his heart is not there anymore. Well, I've got six words about what you can expect of guys who publically contemplated retirement then stayed or un-retired:
- Anquan
- Boldin
- Steve
- Smith
- James
- Harrison...

Edited by bioLarzen

6 minutes ago, BiggMack91 said:

our secondary is starting to look scary as long as we still draft one between the first 3 rounds i will be happy but I'm still concerned about the offense

I do wish Steve Smith wouldve played one more year because it would've given us time to look for his replacement in 2018. Defense gotta carried us in 2017.

hopefully he pans out unlike so many they have brought in here lately. we need a center,rt, rb, wr. defense seems somewhat set aside from young olb, ilb, future safety for weddle and cb to take over for brittle jimmy when he gets hurt again as usual. seems like a lot of needs so i can see us trade back to hoard more picks.

7 minutes ago, steelcityraven said:

Yep we are getting stacked. Turning out to be a scary defense. Pees all to you bud to have a successful playcalling this year. No more prevent defense in the 4th. 

dean pees will be the key aside from health of players. hopefully the loss of frazier does not set the secondary back

Believing the Ravens will focus on RT, DE, and ILB in the early rounds just like last year. They just might trade back from #16 to later in the first round if a third round pick is offered, leaving them with three third round picks (assuming we get a 3 for Osemele)

This is a very solid and Ozzie like pick up. Now if we can pick up brown at ILB and draft a corner and pass rusher within the first 3 rounds we will have a top 5 defense for a few years with all our other pieces in place. I really want to pick up mangold and get mike Williams in the first round. If we could pull that off we would have a very good team . GO RAVENS!!!!!!

The picture is clear: Claiborne: better talent, higher star-factor, more potential for highlight reel plays - Carr: much higher consistency, and extreme durability. Claiborne will likely show you eye-popping stuff... when he's on the field, which is not really often. Carr won't make too many of those - but he won't be burned either.

If you take a look around 'Boys fans opinion on Carr, well, it's not the best things they say about him - but there's one fact for you: last season he played a total of 5 games covering Odell Beckham, AJ Green, Mike Evans and Golden Tate, and a gave up a total number of... (drumroll) 1 TD in these games - and even that wasn't really his fault. His last 5 games v the Giants he routinely covered Beckham - and OBJ never had a +100-yard game in this stretch.

Well, guys... if he puts up anything like this in purple & black, that's definitely OK with me.

Oh, and one more thing: many people think that the fact that he contemplated retirement means his heart is not there anymore. Well, I've got six words about what you can expect of guys who publically contemplated retirement then stayed or un-retired:
- Anquan
- Boldin
- Steve
- Smith
- James
- Harrison...

Thanks... good info. makes me feel really good about this signing now.

15 minutes ago, PeterA88 said:

You can never have too many quality DBs. 

Side note: He's never missed a game in his career.  That's crazy. 

the kiss of death

24 minutes ago, steelcityraven said:

Agreed... Pees is out of excuses... The bar has been raised significantly.

the one thing i heard from cowgirls fans is : he's steady and will not get beat all the time