ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Ravens Sign Brandon Carr

168 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KBoum said:

Yeah I feel the same, I see Reddick as a 4-3/Nickle type of role. Blitzing LB, can cover lots of ground. I like the player. I don't think he's a top 15 but could go as high as low first top 2nd. Its hard to find a comp for him.. maybe a mix of Jamie Collins/Lawrence Timmons/Lavonte David

I see a Bruce Irvin style edge rusher but with excellent coverage/chase ability. His pursuit and motor is godly and it shows up even in the run game where he can't body up in the box, his motor has him constantly cleaning up plays and causing clutter by darting into blockers and bouncing all around in the box. He's one of those guys with a great motor and knows how to use it, some guys with a motor just wear themselves out for nothing, reddick uses that motor to affect nearly every play

8 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Haha and I'll respond the exact same way. Don't think u read my post. 

I'm not arguing your points and haven't. You're not convincing me. 

I'm sharing with you what I've read from reliable sources connected with several NFL FO's and scouts that have been chatting about prospects on the pro day circuit. 

The testing can be a non starter for you. Doesn't change that it's apparently a red flag for a lot of evaluators. 

You can like the route running you see on tape. Doesn't change the fact that apparently a good portion of FOs aren't convinced he'll be able to consistently separate in the NFL and it looks better on tape bc he's essentially a man amongst boys. 

And if you want to point to Wisconsin as proof he can win against NFL talent.... doesn't change the fact that the only NFL prospect at CB on that team is Sojourn Shelton whose a 5'9" 170 lb utter and complete mismatch against a 6'3" 220 lb Davis. 

The two times he faced actual NFL level competition in a secondary at Ohio St he struggled. Not just production it's his worst tape. 

Whether you acknowledge them or not they're legitimate and fair concerns  just as the positives you've pointed to are fair and legitimate  

Again. I still like him. It's not about discrediting or ignoring your opinion.... unless you think your opinion should sway a sizeable group of actual NFL FO execs and scouts. 

I'm reiterating opinions they're sharing with media.

all I simply said is I prefer Williams at this point bc he's now put legit high 4.4 speed on record to go with his domination of the best college football has to offer. 

Davis I think has more upside for an all around game. 

I see Williams as sure to impact day 1 and likely be legit #1. At this point I need hit at 16. I'd prefer not to go WR if possible just bc of the volatility at the position... but of the two I think there's less questions to Williams ability to impact at the next level. 

Right I think I understand now lol - I guess I was being a bit slow - I look at mike Williams as a bit like kelvin benjamin with the physicality but also with the drops - a number 1 but someone who might not be as reliable as hoped all the time, whereas I see Corey Davis play in a similar style (I am by no means insinuating he is his equal) to aj green

i guess it feels more like pick your poison and I just love the potential of Davis personally over mike Williams

45 minutes ago, Rav'n Maniac said:

I may be mistaken but, wasn't Carr the nickle corner while in Dallas?

You would be mistaken. Scandrick plays the slot and Carr always started.

21 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

You would be mistaken. Scandrick plays the slot and Carr always started.

Thanks. I didn't follow the boys closely so I wasn't sure. My son told me he was the nickle so I'll go razz him about it. :lol:

I can't believe y'all like this signing more than if we got Mo. Ozzie been talking all off season about adding playmakers, instant coffee, etc. Carr is not a playmaker! This whole thread keeps repeating how great it is that he is reliable and not an injury risk. Why does that matter if this guy doesn't make plays when on the field? He has had like 2 picks over the last 3 years! At least Mo had talent and upside, Carr is old and you know exactly what you are going to get which is average. But it's cool because he will "stay on the field". That 6 mil a year could have gone to King Dunlap to fix the line and then take a corner in the draft since it's such a deep class! This and the Woodhead signing were wasted money imo. 

35 minutes ago, rudywasoffsides said:

I can't believe y'all like this signing more than if we got Mo. Ozzie been talking all off season about adding playmakers, instant coffee, etc. Carr is not a playmaker! This whole thread keeps repeating how great it is that he is reliable and not an injury risk. Why does that matter if this guy doesn't make plays when on the field? He has had like 2 picks over the last 3 years! At least Mo had talent and upside, Carr is old and you know exactly what you are going to get which is average. But it's cool because he will "stay on the field". That 6 mil a year could have gone to King Dunlap to fix the line and then take a corner in the draft since it's such a deep class! This and the Woodhead signing were wasted money imo. 

in 5 seasons claiborne has 4 picks.
in 5 seasons with the cowboys carr has 7 picks.

seems to me carr made more plays based on your idea of what a playmaker should be....

52 minutes ago, rudywasoffsides said:

Not arguing who the better player is but... last year Mo Claiborne had 1 interception and 5 passes defensed, while Carr had 1 interception and 9 passes defensed.

1 hour ago, rudywasoffsides said:

I happend to catch the re-play of the Cowboys VS Packers playoff game last night on NFL network and I really was watching the CB play of Dallas and Rodgers did not throw to Carr's side of the field as often as he threw to Mo Claiborne's side. Carr looked pretty darn good. I watched the game live and did not pay as much attention to the CB's as much as last night after the signing of Carr it was nice to see him play in a game against a very pass happy team and he performed decently. 

Edited by ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

34 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

in 5 seasons claiborne has 4 picks.
in 5 seasons with the cowboys carr has 7 picks.

seems to me carr made more plays based on your idea of what a playmaker should be....

Not beat a dead horse but Carr is on the field because he just does not seem to be injury prone. You and I and most people on these boards know that a guy on the field makes a heck of a lot more plays than one riding the pine pony! lol just a pure and simple FACT.....

1 hour ago, rudywasoffsides said:

You can't go by a guy's pick total only and what has Claiborne done to suggest he's a playmaker. A steady corner and a good 3rd down option at RB are wasted money? Lol. Plus both contracts are easy to get out of  And then what kills me is you're willing to throw 6 mil at King Dunlap.

6 minutes ago, ALSKAN RAVEN FAN said:

Not beat a dead horse but Carr is on the field because he just does not seem to be injury prone. You and I and most people on these boards know that a guy on the field makes a heck of a lot more plays than one riding the pine pony! lol just a pure and simple FACT.....

a guy on the field has the opportunity to make more plays.
does not mean he will.

just take wright and jimmy last season.
wright played 707 snaps (673 defense 34 ST) while jimmy only played 582 snaps( all defense)

you really wanna argue that its a FACT that wright made more plays then jimmy?

19 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

a guy on the field has the opportunity to make more plays.
does not mean he will.

just take wright and jimmy last season.
wright played 707 snaps (673 defense 34 ST) while jimmy only played 582 snaps( all defense)

you really wanna argue that its a FACT that wright made more plays then jimmy?

I do agree with the opportunity part  lol. Jimmy is a far better player than Wright but only the games he is on the field the Games Jimmy is not on the field he is not making ANY PLAYS!!! that's a FACT but that goes for anyone (ex: Mo Claiborne) Guy just cant seem to stay healthy and rides the bench quite frequently.  That's the point I was trying to make. I would much rather pay a guy like Carr who plays on game day and contributes more than a younger talent who cant even stay on the field. I cant argue and wont try to argue that Wright is better than Jimmy. Wright is a good football player obviously he is in the NFL but it's just my opinion that there are better options than him to start for the Ravens and that's why the rookie Young out played him last season and took his starting role.

3 minutes ago, BmoreBird22 said:

Interestingly enough, the Jets got Claiborne on a 1yr/$5M deal. 

Have to wonder what the Ravens really offered for him.

I'd guess we were looking for multiple years at that price, and Claiborne chose to bet on himself again.

Just now, rmw10 said:

I'd guess we were looking for multiple years at that price, and Claiborne chose to bet on himself again.

That was my thought process. Probably around the same contract that Carr got with a series of options after every year.

Just now, ALSKAN RAVEN FAN said:

I do agree with the opportunity part. Jimmy is a far better player than Wright but only the games he is on the field the Games Jimmy is not on the field he is not making ANY PLAYS!!! that's a FACT but that goes for anyone (ex: Mo Claiborne) Guy just cant seem to stay healthy and rides the bench quite frequently.  That's the point I was trying to make. I would much rather pay a guy like Carr who plays on game day and contributes more than a younger talent who cant even stay on the field. I cant argue and wont try to argue that Wright is better than Jimmy. Wright is a good football player obviously he is in the NFL but just my opinion that's why the rookie Young out played him last season and took his starting role.

The games wright was playing he wasn't making any plays either.
Not much difference then jimmy not playing and thus not making any plays.

ill go on record and say that jimmy is a far better player then wright even when jimmy isn't playing and wright is lol

carr has been the better player though and i dont think its only due to his health.

1 hour ago, Tru11 said:

The games wright was playing he wasn't making any plays either.
Not much difference then jimmy not playing and thus not making any plays.

ill go on record and say that jimmy is a far better player then wright even when jimmy isn't playing and wright is lol

carr has been the better player though and i dont think its only due to his health.

I totally agree lol