• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Ravens Sign Brandon Carr

168 posts in this topic

This move also really gives us the freedom to take a chance on Sidney Jones a bit higher than we might have since CB isn't such a glaring need now. 

If we can now grab arguably the #1-2 CB in the draft with our 2nd pick or maybe as a trade up option in the 3rd..... amazing. 

Go get Barnett, Foster, Williams (either), Reddick or even Howard in the first. Shoot if they think one of the RBs is a can't miss stud we could even do that too. 

And while everyone says OL is weak in this draft... I actually think it's pretty solid in the middle rounds. Not top heavy by any means - idk that there's a LT starter in the whole draft - but I really think there's some potential stud RT's, G/C's rounds 2-5. 

Carrs signing eliminates the one real glaring hole in our starting lineup (I'm assuming there's a plan for C and not worried about RT at all).

Just another thought but with an improved secondary the front 7 can pin their ears back and get after the opposing teams QB even more so. Whooo-hooo going to be fun and interesting going forward next the draft then on to mini camp and pre-season then regular season which I hope leads to a post season birth.

3 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

This move also really gives us the freedom to take a chance on Sidney Jones a bit higher than we might have since CB isn't such a glaring need now. 

If we can now grab arguably the #1-2 CB in the draft with our 2nd pick or maybe as a trade up option in the 3rd..... amazing. 

Go get Barnett, Foster, Williams (either), Reddick or even Howard in the first. Shoot if they think one of the RBs is a can't miss stud we could even do that too. 

And while everyone says OL is weak in this draft... I actually think it's pretty solid in the middle rounds. Not top heavy by any means - idk that there's a LT starter in the whole draft - but I really think there's some potential stud RT's, G/C's rounds 2-5. 

Carrs signing eliminates the one real glaring hole in our starting lineup (I'm assuming there's a plan for C and not worried about RT at all).

Good point about the OL  and Oz has a decent track record of being able to find stud OL in the middle rounds.

2 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I'd prefer Davis to M. Williams, also more likely to fall to us. Otherwise everyone you brought up I think would be great on the team. Even Howard, sure we're stacked at TE but no one is that athletic.

we've got a lot of money tied up in the secondary right now. Anyone at all worried about all the money tied up in the defense?

3 minutes ago, ALSKAN RAVEN FAN said:

Just another thought but with an improved secondary the front 7 can pin their ears back and get after the opposing teams QB even more so. Whooo-hooo going to be fun and interesting going forward next the draft then on to mini camp and pre-season then regular season which I hope leads to a post season birth.

I find it odd we've spent so much on defensive players when the draft is so deep in defensive players and is thin for offensive players.

Just now, ravensnation5220 said:

I find it odd we've spent so much on defensive players when the draft is so deep in defensive players and is thin for offensive players.

Ya I see your point but I also would like the defense to get back to Top 5 talent but we have spent a lot on the defensive side of the ball for sure.

29 minutes ago, The Raven said:

We've got a lot of money tied up in the secondary right now. Anyone at all worried about all the money tied up in the defense?

I don't know how much cap room we have so can't say much in that regard. But I *think* we still have room for some offensive improvement (problem is I don't know who could bring that improvement) and for instance, with the Carr signing we can do really do anything that we want with how much money he'll get and what best benefits us.

29 minutes ago, The Raven said:

we've got a lot of money tied up in the secondary right now. Anyone at all worried about all the money tied up in the defense?

Ya especially since this is a great draft for corners and safeties. Maybe we take the few good offensive players early and let the depth of the class push down solid defensive players to our later picks

11 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Ya especially since this is a great draft for corners and safeties. Maybe we take the few good offensive players early and let the depth of the class push down solid defensive players to our later picks

What sometimes ends up happening when a draft is stacked a position is that there's a serious run on that position. 

Everyone falls in love with "their guy(s)" and suddenly someone you thought might be available at the end of the first is picked in the teens bc a team gets scared their guys will be gone. Or someone expected to be there in the 2nd gets grabbed in the 1st. 

And that run pushes top talent at other positions down. So if everyone gets CB and S happy in the top 15 we get a top pass rusher, WR or RB in our lap. 

And suddenly the top OL prospects are available mid-2nd. 

Its obviously not a guarantee... but if they feel a lot of teams are going soft in FA on DBs bc theyre confident they can get their guy in the draft then you can grab talent cheaper in FA and sit patiently out of the DB mad grab in the draft when those teams panic as DBs get gobbled up and fleece someone in a trade back bc you're not desperate for one. 

Plus Weddle and Carr are older with the latter essentially on a 1 year deal... and overall depth at both positions isn't great. so it's not like they can't take advantage of the DB talent in the draft is someone they really like is sitting there. 

But you look now at teams like Philly and Dallas who have almost nothing in the secondary and you get the feeling you might be able to fleece one in a draft trade since they NEED bodies to field a squad. 

25 minutes ago, purpletide said:

I'd prefer Davis to M. Williams, also more likely to fall to us. Otherwise everyone you brought up I think would be great on the team. Even Howard, sure we're stacked at TE but no one is that athletic.

I was that way for a long time too... but hearing more and more that a lot of teams have a late 1st grade on Davis. 

Big concerns about level of competition bc he struggled against Ohio St and Wisconsin. Lots of thought that he just took advantage of weak competition. 

And him not running at combine or pro day raises some concerns about his play speed and if he'll be able to separate as well at the pro level. Lots of scouts see him as a high end #2 but not a big time #1.

whereas Williams has proven himself against the best under the brightest lights. He's bullied top CB prospects time and again. 

Ive def flipped on my preference between the two. 

33 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

i feel like its almost like a bpa situation just as in the draft - you have targets and you take the guys that fall into your laps - otherwise you end up paying 16 mill in year 1 for pierre garcon

I simply love the stability and "availability" he brings to our CB group.... Hopefully Jimmy takes a cue and doesn't miss a game again. I'll take "available" solid over "unavailable/injured" mega talent!

1 minute ago, rossihunter2 said:

i feel like its almost like a bpa situation just as in the draft - you have targets and you take the guys that fall into your laps - otherwise you end up paying 16 mill in year 1 for pierre garcon

The other side of the coin is that we've had the same exact holes on this roster for years - WR, OL (a little to a lesser extent), OLB, and CB.  Carr is really the first step taken to address a need and that's merely a short term fix.  At some point, after years of having issues, you have to do what you have to go to correct a problem.

Some highlights of Carr....

Edited by Moderator 3
Please don't post videos containing obscenity

17 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

What sometimes ends up happening when a draft is stacked a position is that there's a serious run on that position. 

Everyone falls in love with "their guy(s)" and suddenly someone you thought might be available at the end of the first is picked in the teens bc a team gets scared their guys will be gone. Or someone expected to be there in the 2nd gets grabbed in the 1st. 

And that run pushes top talent at other positions down. So if everyone gets CB and S happy in the top 15 we get a top pass rusher, WR or RB in our lap. 

And suddenly the top OL prospects are available mid-2nd. 

Its obviously not a guarantee... but if they feel a lot of teams are going soft in FA on DBs bc theyre confident they can get their guy in the draft then you can grab talent cheaper in FA and sit patiently out of the DB mad grab in the draft when those teams panic as DBs get gobbled up and fleece someone in a trade back bc you're not desperate for one. 

Plus Weddle and Carr are older with the latter essentially on a 1 year deal... and overall depth at both positions isn't great. so it's not like they can't take advantage of the DB talent in the draft is someone they really like is sitting there. 

But you look now at teams like Philly and Dallas who have almost nothing in the secondary and you get the feeling you might be able to fleece one in a draft trade since they NEED bodies to field a squad. 

Good post man. Hope your right. I like the moves we've been making. Hopefully we can get a pass rusher or receiver in round one and help our online in rounds 2-3. I like what we are doing let's just hope we can build a good scheme that fits to flaccos strengths 

8 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

Very true. If we have the opportunity to make our defense one of the best in the league of not the best then why not. All we need is an elite pass rusher and our defense is solid. I'm honestly on board with Tim Williams now. As long as our FO feels comfortable with his off feild issues

8 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I was that way for a long time too... but hearing more and more that a lot of teams have a late 1st grade on Davis. 

Big concerns about level of competition bc he struggled against Ohio St and Wisconsin. Lots of thought that he just took advantage of weak competition. 

And him not running at combine or pro day raises some concerns about his play speed and if he'll be able to separate as well at the pro level. Lots of scouts see him as a high end #2 but not a big time #1.

whereas Williams has proven himself against the best under the brightest lights. He's bullied top CB prospects time and again. 

Ive def flipped on my preference between the two. 

corey davis is not just a first rounder, hes easily a top 15 player - he played against a couple of big ten teams this year and still consistently beat his opposite corner, he runs routes well and creatively which is independent of who's covering him, he catches better than anyone else in the class (maybe zay jones challenges him here), he has great length, good speed on film - obviously the level of competition doesnt help his case but his traits can be judged independently - the only thing that might worry me is press coverage just because he rarely finds himself up against it

i very rarely worry about film outside of the most recent year - ohio state had a ridiculous secondary this year and last so im not too worried given that i disagree about the wisconsin game - i saw him win the route early and the qb just wasnt looking his way e.g. theres a play at the beginning of the 2nd quarter where he beats the corner almost straight off the snap and the qb is zoned in on the other side of the field - just because he didnt get a huge number of catches/targets doesnt mean he wasnt winning his matchups - the level of competition also affects his teammates as well - he goes against worse cbs but also has a much worse qb - in that wisconsin game he made plays with very little help from the rest of his team - i saw him win route after route in 1v1 coverage but not get the ball and twice made something out of nothing - once for his touchdown and the other on a batted ball for a critical first down

corey davis definitely can become a number 1 in this league he has all the tools - my worry is a little of his speed which obviously without running a 40 cannot be reassured but its not like that's a surprise he was never expected to really run at either because of his injury - the thing that persuades me most i think is how polished and creative he is when he runs his routes already - (watch voch lombardi's video on him if you want to see what i mean)

8 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Very true. If we have the opportunity to make our defense one of the best in the league of not the best then why not. All we need is an elite pass rusher and our defense is solid. I'm honestly on board with Tim Williams now. As long as our FO feels comfortable with his off feild issues

yeah tim williams is back up my board at 11th now after free agency and the combine

5 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Dependable and capable veteran. Really solid signing. This is honestly more of a classic Ozzie move than signing Claiborne, who is a better talent but also vey injury prone. Love this move.

i think our first rounder is gonna be a pass rusher or cam Robinson after this move. Don't be shocked to see us take reddick at 16...

It'll be a pass rusher or offensive play maker. I'M hoping oj is there but it wouldn't surprise me if we went McCafffrey 

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

It'll be a pass rusher or offensive play maker. I'M hoping oj is there but it wouldn't surprise me if we went McCafffrey 

It would surprise me if we went mccaffrey after signing woodhead to be honest 

17 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

yeah tim williams is back up my board at 11th now after free agency and the combine

Ya man. His interviews have went well to say the least. After watching more film on him I think he may be the most polished pass rusher in this class. He's excellent at using his hands, he has very good hand placement 

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

.1% chance we take mcaffrey. He's not a 16 value, we signed woodhead, and he's way small for a starting rb in the afc north. 

Oj could be a sleeper for us, but I don't see it realistically. I really think cam and Tim Williams are gonna be very high on our boards, but I also think we're gonna be shopping hard for a trade back

Just now, ravensnation5220 said:

Ya man. His interviews have went well to say the least. After watching more film on him I think he may be the most polished pass rusher in this class. He's excellent at using his hands, he has very good hand placement 

Yeah he seems like he's really a good kid who is just a bit dumb off the field, he is very humble, respectful, well spoken, and he redirects all the accolades to his teammates without thinking about it. A dude who speaks the way he does in interviews and then plays with such intensity on the field is a big plus, he shows leadership 

2 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

.1% chance we take mcaffrey. He's not a 16 value, we signed woodhead, and he's way small for a starting rb in the afc north. 

Oj could be a sleeper for us, but I don't see it realistically. I really think cam and Tim Williams are gonna be very high on our boards, but I also think we're gonna be shopping hard for a trade back

He's on their list behind several guys offensively but he certainly fits the playmaker label.

OJ is a no brained to me.

I'd be all for us taking Reddick.....but I have to wonder where that leaves Correa.

8 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

He's always been the pure pass rusher in this class.

Funny how much people's opinion are suddenly changing on this guy.

1 hour ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Yep. Ozzie is a good finding late gems at O-line such as Yanda and Wagner of examples. Wr/Passrusher 1st round, Corner/Passrusher 2nd round, Corner/O-line 3rd round, etc.

Carr should be a really solid #2, Ozzie's killing it. Can't wait till the draft.

4 hours ago, sflegend89 said:

As much as I want to get hyped about us adding a corner before the draft... can't help but feel like this isn't much more than a lateral move from Shareece Wright, I hope I'm wrong, I hope Carr ends up being a noticeable upgrade.. but I'm not convinced. Hopefully we snag one of these talented corners early, so many good CB's available in rounds 1-2.

But I remember the 2014 draft was stacked at WR in a similar fashion and we didn't take one. We passed on Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, and Davante Adams in the 2nd. Really hope we don't do that again this year at CB.

I really liked the Jernigan selection but Jarvis Landry would have been perfect for this team.

2 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

PFF had him rated as the #18 CB through week 12 last year. 

Losing Claiborne and Church for that stretch definitely hurt the secondaries play so hopefully that first 12 games is more representative of who he still is. 

Not to mention he hasn't had this much talent around him. He doesn't need to be excellent -- just solid. 

Best part is it allows Tavon to stay in the slot and he has experience covering the other teams #1 (limited AJ green to 1 catch, 9 yds last year) so we can keep Jimmy at RCB and he can play LCB. 

Jimmy shuts down his side so Weddle can shade to Carr's side and help him over the top. 

Jefferson can slide down and help Tavon and the LB's over the middle. 

This secondary could be really really really good. Especially if we get a stud in the draft who can be a great #4 option that eventually takes over Carr's spot. 

Or draft a stud CB who wins a starting job.