ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Ravens Sign Brandon Carr

168 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, ALPHA said:

4 years is a long time for a 30yo corner

It maybe 4 years but not necessarily 4 years. It depends. 

As much as I want to get hyped about us adding a corner before the draft... can't help but feel like this isn't much more than a lateral move from Shareece Wright, I hope I'm wrong, I hope Carr ends up being a noticeable upgrade.. but I'm not convinced. Hopefully we snag one of these talented corners early, so many good CB's available in rounds 1-2.

But I remember the 2014 draft was stacked at WR in a similar fashion and we didn't take one. We passed on Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, and Davante Adams in the 2nd. Really hope we don't do that again this year at CB.

1 minute ago, sflegend89 said:

As much as I want to get hyped about us adding a corner before the draft... can't help but feel like this isn't much more than a lateral move from Shareece Wright, I hope I'm wrong, I hope Carr ends up being a noticeable upgrade.. but I'm not convinced. Hopefully we snag one of these talented corners early, so many good CB's available in rounds 1-2.

But I remember the 2014 draft was stacked at WR in a similar fashion and we didn't take one. We passed on Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, and Davante Adams in the 2nd. Really hope we don't do that again this year at CB.

Do you ever  try to look at something in a positive light?

11 minutes ago, Deflated Football said:

The Cowboys have an absolutely awful front seven (which they have also lost players from this offseason), but had a solid secondary, Now their 4 starters are all gone, leaving them just with Byron Jones and Scandrick as the only secondary players with any sort of meaningful experience.

4 minutes ago, ravensnick said:

The Cowboys have an absolutely awful front seven (which they have also lost players from this offseason), but had a solid secondary, Now their 4 starters are all gone, leaving them just with Byron Jones and Scandrick as the only secondary players with any sort of meaningful experience.

They won't fix defense in one year but they are going to seriously load up in this draft.I wouldn't rule them out of moving very high up the board, using future picks, since it looks like they've found themselves franchise QB last year.

50 minutes ago, Ravenskid52752 said:

It's a 2 year deal with options for 3 and 4 

More like a one year deal with options 2,3,4

2 minutes ago, allblackraven said:

They won't fix defense in one year but they are going to seriously load up in this draft.I wouldn't rule them out of moving very high up the board, using future picks, since it looks like they've found themselves franchise QB last year.

I agree but since both Gregory and Lawrence  can't stay on the field, they have a very weak pass rush in addition to secondary problems. Their interior DL and LBs aren't bad and they have an absurdly high powered offense, but that's going to take a while to fix.

Edited by ravensnick

One thing this deal does is open up options if Oz and the Ravens want to they can keep Carr for up to 4 years but if they want to they can opt out at any time from the way the deal sounds so more options moving forward is always nice. 

2 minutes ago, ALSKAN RAVEN FAN said:

One thing this deal does is open up options if Oz and the Ravens want to they can keep Carr for up to 4 years but if they want to they can opt out at any time from the way the deal sounds so more options moving forward is always nice. 

That's why I like this move. I don't see us losing. We're still going to take an early CB, maybe even 2, so even if Carr becomes the next Wright we just don't take the second (or whenever he drops off) year and we start a rookie.

They'll get a good DB this year and I think might move up to pick elite rusher or corner/safety. Next year FA will be just awesome and I think they won't be scared to spend. I see them as a legit contender in 2018, providing no setbacks/injuries on the offensive side.

I think he is a better player than Claiborne. I was not a fan of us signing Claiborne.

Just now, cobrajet said:

I think he is a better player than Claiborne. I was not a fan of us signing Claiborne.

This is definitely the safer route, and I think it was the better move. No injury history, sure he's not the youngest guy, but he can hold down the position till we let them come in. Also easy to get out of if he can't perform.

As long as he doesn't let anyone do what Odell did to him that one night in New Jersey... :34853_shakehead:

Just now, Sun Zulu said:

As long as he doesn't let anyone do what Odell did to him that one night in New Jersey... :34853_shakehead:

Everyone has bad games (easy to happen against Odell it seems) but he's managed to remain a solid/average starter throughout his career as well as never missing/not starting in one. He'll do well or we let an early draft pick fill in.

9 minutes ago, Sun Zulu said:

Yeah Cowboys fans were upset by that but AJ Green, the Ravens killer, has burned our best corners.

3 hours ago, berad said:

Ravens confirmed this on their twitter

They seem to have broken the news and all of the other sources re-posted it

Edit - And I could've sworn he played for the Chargers but PFR and Wikipedia say it was only the Chiefs and the Cowboys... who am I thinking of??

I always mix up Carr and Flowers, both played for the Chiefs and were drafted in the same year

It's funny I looked at his highlights and read the comments and in 2015 all the cowboys fans said he sucks, then in 2016 they all said he's underrated and a solid player.

Funny how winning can change fans minds

1 minute ago, ravensnation5220 said:

It's funny I looked at his highlights and read the comments and in 2015 all the cowboys fans said he sucks, then in 2016 they all said he's underrated and a solid player.

Funny how winning can change fans minds

He should be "solid" and reliable, at the very least.  I personally think he'll be an upgrade over Wright and like him over Claiborne for the simple fact he's been on the field.  

1 minute ago, ravensnation5220 said:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarrBr99.htm

His stats where awesome when he was in his prime. Hopefully he can find a nice role here. Also had 2 career picks vs big Ben 

Funny tho. Jets were reportedly interested in Carr and ravens in claiborne, yet it ends up the other way around 

The Jets fans did not seem very happy with the Claiborne signing in the comment section of one the articles I read.

2 minutes ago, cobrajet said:

The Jets fans did not seem very happy with the Claiborne signing in the comment section of one the articles I read.

Just keeps getting better and better

The only thing that worries me is his age (will turn 31 in may) but he's made 144 consecutive starts and he won't be asked to cover teams #1 option. Will also bring veteran leadership. Very solid signing at a low risk. Now draft a raw corner (rounds 2-4) with size and speed, let him learn behind Carr and Smith as he contributes on special teams and provides depth

PFF had him rated as the #18 CB through week 12 last year. 

Losing Claiborne and Church for that stretch definitely hurt the secondaries play so hopefully that first 12 games is more representative of who he still is. 

Not to mention he hasn't had this much talent around him. He doesn't need to be excellent -- just solid. 

Best part is it allows Tavon to stay in the slot and he has experience covering the other teams #1 (limited AJ green to 1 catch, 9 yds last year) so we can keep Jimmy at RCB and he can play LCB. 

Jimmy shuts down his side so Weddle can shade to Carr's side and help him over the top. 

Jefferson can slide down and help Tavon and the LB's over the middle. 

This secondary could be really really really good. Especially if we get a stud in the draft who can be a great #4 option that eventually takes over Carr's spot. 

1 hour ago, cobrajet said:

Yeah Cowboys fans were upset by that but AJ Green, the Ravens killer, has burned our best corners.

Very good point about AJ Green and AJ beat us with game winning catches at least twice if not more. :34853_shakehead: SMH!!!