ALSKAN RAVEN FAN

Ravens Sign Brandon Carr

168 posts in this topic

Low risk contract that's easy to get out of (options to exit after Year 1 and Year 2 per Schefter)

Starting, albeit unspectacular, CB on a playoff team

Never missed a game in 9 year career. 

...... I honestly don't have a single complaint

Edited by jboy19

Complete opposite to M. Claiborne in terms of durability so far in his career. If he was a little younger, it would be full 4 years, I suppose it will end up 2 year deal.

Carr's started every single game in his 9 year career - never sat out because of injury - and has been remarkably average/solid.

He's a starter and someone who can line up day 1. Takes the pressing need off of CB for round 1 of the draft - they might still go that way, anyways.

Claiborne was asking for too much, presumably, and they left him at the altar.

4 minutes ago, jboy19 said:

Low risk contract that's easy to get out of (options to exit after Year 1 and Year 2 per Schefter)

And started all of those games.

It's not Sherman or Revis in their prime but he's an average/solid starter.

Love the signing, even more than if we got Claiborne. Now we have two Grand Valley State guys on defense! 

Ravens confirmed this on their twitter

They seem to have broken the news and all of the other sources re-posted it

Edit - And I could've sworn he played for the Chargers but PFR and Wikipedia say it was only the Chiefs and the Cowboys... who am I thinking of??

Edited by berad

1 minute ago, berad said:

Edit - And I could've sworn he played for the Chargers but PFR and Wikipedia say it was only the Chiefs and the Cowboys... who am I thinking of??

Brandon Flowers?

3 minutes ago, berad said:

brandon flowers...

We fans are going to see new faces in the secondary flying around the field this year it could be a lot of fun watching.

3 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Brandon Flowers?

1 minute ago, rossihunter2 said:

brandon flowers...

That's totally it. He was another 'must have' a couple years ago

I see a lot of negative Backlash from this signing. Let me put it this way, You're adding a guy that has started every game of his 9 year career to a secondary that was starting Rashaan Melvin, a practice squad player, in the 2014 divisional game. Finally some actual durability in our secondary. He's not Shareece Wright people!!! If anything he gives you a SOLID #2 that can hold is own if injury occurs. 

I guess Ozzie got tired of waiting for Claiborne. Brandon Carr is a good pick up. Zach Brown is the one we should be targeting next. I really want him to come here. 

Everyone tweeting and talking about Carr's active streak and all that.... STOP TEMPTING FATE.

my gosh, our luck now Mo Claiborne starts all 16 and Carr's injured week 2 for the year.

cant we have nice things people?

Hmm.  I'd assume this signing takes CB off the first round target list, but I wonder if the Ravens will try and grab Sidney Jones in the second or early third as a "planning for the future" pick

Edited by Purple_City39

1 minute ago, hen826957 said:

I guess Ozzie got tired of waiting for Claiborne. Brandon Carr is a good pick up. Zach Brown is the one we should be targeting next. I really want him to come here. 

sounds like both us and Jets were trying to sign Carr and Claiborne (each trying to figure out which one).

Prob both liked Carr's consistency and Claibornes upside. Imagine if Claiborne wouldve dropped his price hed have been the signing... since he wouldnt we pulled trigger on Carr and Claibornes only option was Jets at that point.

And Zach Brown visited Oakland and Indy. Likely no shot.

2 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

I am happy Oz stayed pat on his price and we ended up with a reliable guy. I would also love Oz to target Z.Brown.

1 minute ago, Purple_City39 said:

Hmm.  I'd assume this signing takes CB off the first round target list, but I wonder if the Ravens will try and grab Sidney JJones in the second or early third as a "planning for the future" pick

i wouldnt. i think it just gives us flexibility to take BPA and feel comfortable doing so regardless of who that is.

I very much approve of this signing. Though Carr isn't elite or spectacular, I don't think the Ravens need an elite CB. As long as Jimmy stays healthy and locks down  #1 WRs then I think the Ravens can definitely go out and get someone who while isn't elite is a quality player at his position. 

I think the Ravens are going to put out a very good secondary, now they just need to check off the pass rusher boxes which I expect to be addressed in the 1st round of the draft. 

Dependable and capable veteran. Really solid signing. This is honestly more of a classic Ozzie move than signing Claiborne, who is a better talent but also vey injury prone. Love this move.

i think our first rounder is gonna be a pass rusher or cam Robinson after this move. Don't be shocked to see us take reddick at 16...

22 minutes ago, jboy19 said:

So he's due for an injury is what you're saying 

4 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

i wouldnt. i think it just gives us flexibility to take BPA and feel comfortable doing so regardless of who that is.

It's very possible we take a CB in the 1st. It's a developmental position and Carr isn't what we would define as young at this point in his career. I think the team is very much in play to still pick a CB in the 1st but it just depends on if the right guy is there. This move certainly gives them the flexibility to pick a OLB early. 

Edited by PurpleCity5

When did we became a big player in free agency?

As long as Carr performs better than Wright, we should be fine.

I guess we aren't double dipping in CBs in the draft after all.

However, it worries me that the OT position in the draft is very thin on talent. It's Ramczyk and Robinson, and then a huge drop-off with projects.

I still would not mind if Oz targets a CB in the first rd I still think he should add at least 1 if not 2 in this years draft. How many times have we been hurt by not having enough guys who can play at a decent level in the secondary? I like the thought J.Smith Weddle Jefferson and Carr / Young in the secondary. Add a few younger guys from the draft and undrafted free agents and it should be fun.

9 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Everyone tweeting and talking about Carr's active streak and all that.... STOP TEMPTING FATE.

my gosh, our luck now Mo Claiborne starts all 16 and Carr's injured week 2 for the year.

cant we have nice things people?

This is exactly what I was thinking lol 

I don't mind the signing. Hopefully he can bring some stability to the position for a year or 2. Don't really like how old he is. Hopefully this doesn't mean that we don't draft CB high and use an aging vet as a band aid once again. This has been burning us for awhile now. 

Morris Claiborne was one of my top prospects in 2012 and I still think he can be a top corner in this league, but health is such an issue for him. 

If the Ravens didn't have Jimmy Smith consistently getting dinged up, I think they'd have gone for Claiborne, but could you really risk two starters going down for four plus games a season?

I really like the veteran addition of Carr. A solid, if unspectacular player.

3 minutes ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

Dependable and capable veteran. Really solid signing. This is honestly more of a classic Ozzie move than signing Claiborne, who is a better talent but also vey injury prone. Love this move.

i think our first rounder is gonna be a pass rusher or cam Robinson after this move. Don't be shocked to see us take reddick at 16...

i think the only corner we might take in the first round at this point is lattimore, otherwise the value is better if we wait, i really think the pick is going to be between whoever's left on the board out of barnett, davis, williams, robinson, tim williams