BR News

[News] Ravens Trade Jeremy Zuttah To San Francisco 49ers

107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, sami said:

we were gonna save 3.5 million and get pick 198 but now becuz of the wisdom of Ozzie we save 5.8 millon and get pick number 186.

5.8 over the next two seasons. its the same as releasing. we didnt get anything extra, we just moved up 12 spots in a nearly irrelevant round .

Irrelevant round huh? Why don't you google 6th round picks from the year 1999-2016 and you might changed your mind.

11 minutes ago, PersianRaven said:

Let's not forget Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Maybe this year we hit a jackpot with our 6th rounder. You just never know :-)

Tom Brady is a bit overrated.
Tom Brady is not on our team.
That happened 17 literal years ago. 

Technically you don't ever know, but you can be very reasonably certain that mr 186 isnt going to be anything special.

Zuttah will be a nice fit in Shanahan's pure zone blocking scheme. I don't expect Urschel to be his replacement; he's of the same build with the same issues getting pushed back. Jensen is a possibility, maybe Mangold, or Ozzie is banking on a 3rd-4th rounder in a weak OL draft plugging in as a starter.

For those saying "Its only a 6th round pick" Adalius Thomas #186, Tyrod Taylor #180, these are Ravens picks.  Other players include Colston, Garcon, Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, Greg Hardy. There is value in the 6th, i would rather have an earlier pick in the 6th than a later, plus this way it cleared up more cap than making him a cap casualty.

15 minutes ago, PersianRaven said:
1 hour ago, riseNConquer81 said:
  2 hours ago, sami said:

we were gonna save 3.5 million and get pick 198 but now becuz of the wisdom of Ozzie we save 5.8 millon and get pick number 186.

5.8 over the next two seasons. its the same as releasing. we didnt get anything extra, we just moved up 12 spots in a nearly irrelevant round .

Irrelevant round huh? Why don't you google 6th round picks from the year 1999-2016 and you might changed your mind.

If you think you're going to be the first person to tell me that the likes of Tom Brady, Marques Colston, T.J. Houshmandzadah, and a handful of other good players hail from the 6th round, i am sorry to disappoint you. I have had this conversation many more times than you;ve even thought about it, i promise you.

and no, that doesnt change my mind, it just proves my point.
6th round picks rarely pan out into much more than special teamers and practice squadders.

Edited by riseNConquer81

2 minutes ago, thesteve53006 said:

For those saying "Its only a 6th round pick" Adalius Thomas #186, Tyrod Taylor #180, these are Ravens picks.  Other players include Colston, Garcon, Antonio Brown, Tom Brady, Greg Hardy. There is value in the 6th, i would rather have an earlier pick in the 6th than a later, plus this way it cleared up more cap than making him a cap casualty.

Tyrod Taylor is a middling starter. 
Tom Brady is overrated. 
Greg Hardy isnt in the league anymore because he has trouble keeping his hands to himself. 
Pierre Garcon is a career sidekick receiver. 

There's not that much value in the 6th. thats why its the 6th. 

Tom Brady was pick #199 lol
From football standpoint I don't think it does anything for us, it might actually hurt especially since we have no replacement for Zuttah. However financially it helps.

Urschel was actually drafted to be groomed to be our future center, but due to injuries he was forced to play both RG and LG, and center at times....having played all 3 interior line positions and his smarts i would like him to get the start and the opportunity to be our center...JMO

Little confused why so many negative comments. If Ozzie is freeing up $5.8 MM over the next 2 years he's going to use the money. With all the bad weather it may take a day to get whomever into town to talk to and get a physical. Zuttah was a goner and we at least got something in return other than a bag of footballs. It could be the last part in a trade if we need to move up in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. Just the trade alone gives the Ravens 12 additional slots to get a: Jermaine Lewis, Adelius Thomas, Tyrod Taylor, Derek Anderson. We still have Darrin Waller, Ryan Jensen and Keenan Reynold on the team. Waller could be a late bloomer, Jensen provides bench strength and can plug in as needed and in Reynolds there is still a future (if nothing else he's your emergency QB) All of these players were/are 6th round Ravens picks. Yes, there have been duds too, but the draft is a chance for the team and that player. As far as a center, Mangold if healthy seems to be a good fit. He's in no hurry and can take his time to pick a team he wants. Maybe the On the PS this past year was Matt Skura who is a C-G and another of the many UFAs the Ravens find. Hopefully he's benefitted from a year of bulking up and learning the pro game. Ozzie will bring in at least one veteran LM and draft one maybe in the 5th round. And by the way, didn't we draft Ricky Wagner in the 5th round. At least the Ravens are in the news still and with the Coaches (and Ozzie) on the hot seat we should see more activity. We don't want another 8-8 year.

3 minutes ago, stixfix69 said:

Urschel was actually drafted to be groomed to be our future center, but due to injuries he was forced to play both RG and LG, and center at times....having played all 3 interior line positions and his smarts i would like him to get the start and the opportunity to be our center...JMO

If we were running a pure zone-stretch blocking scheme, as we intended when Urschel was drafted, I agree.  I think we are looking to add more power blocking schemes, which would require some bigger, more powerful dudes.

18 minutes ago, stixfix69 said:

If we were running a pure zone-stretch blocking scheme, as we intended when Urschel was drafted, I agree.  I think we are looking to add more power blocking schemes, which would require some bigger, more powerful dudes.

hopefully Urschel bulks up a little, but he is basically the same size as Yanda both 6-3, but Yanda weighing 305 to Urschels 300....But watch us end up with Mangold....

Was bound to happen sooner or later. Sooner means we save money which means more money to spend. I like this trend of getting rid of old, useless, and injury proned players that eat up cap space. 

I also expect now that Doom is gone, for Judon to have a breakout year, he had a very solid rookie season in a very limited role.....

53 minutes ago, thesteve53006 said:

Tom Brady is overrated. 
Greg Hardy isnt in the league anymore because he has trouble keeping his hands to himself. 

Tom Brady is over rated? That is the most idiotic statement that has ever been posted on any NFL team site. You should have stopped at the Tyrod comment.

He just didn't do well when he had ankle injury, the two games against stoolers 2nd string NT when he got drove into the backfield didn't help either in 2015. Also in 2016 he had no left guard when KO left to help cover up his mistakes. Hopefully he does well but doesn't Kilgore start for the 49ers already? So will he even start at center is a question.

1 hour ago, riseNConquer81 said:
1 hour ago, thesteve53006 said:

Tom Brady is overrated. 

"Tom Brady is overrated" huh... l'm scratching my head on that statement. Are you sure you didn't accidentally wrote that statement by accident?

Edited by hen826957

2 hours ago, riseNConquer81 said:

dont know, dont care. doesnt matter.

6th round pick is a 6th round pick. The 6th is not a round where there's any value in trading places with someone unless there's somebody that fell dramatically for some odd reason.

Those 12 spots didnt change the value of that pick in any significant way.

If you don't care you wouldn't respond. You not knowing is obvious 

rise must be fun to take to parties

HAHAHAHAHA

Got to admit, he's one of the smartest posters here; along with Jacket. But man...we were going to cut Zuttah anyways. Did we gain the world? No, but at least we got a little more out of doing that deal, instead of just dropping Zuttah.

3 hours ago, riseNConquer81 said:

"Math guy" has a name. It's Urschel, and for now: yes, that's all we got.

He's math guy to me. Sorry. John Urschel may be his Chritened name, but Math guy is his real name.

4 hours ago, thesteve53006 said:

Tom Brady is overrated. 

Negative Nancy alert.... Saying Tom Brady is overrated is like credibility suicide within football talk. The fact of the matter is Zuttah wasn't what we wanted at center and we got what we could for him in order to free up cap space. We received way too much pressure up the middle of the offensive line, and obviously Ozzie has plans in the future. You can get great unexpected value in the 6th round, we play against a man named Antonio Brown 2 times a year incase you didn't realize..... AKA the highest paid WR in football.

4 hours ago, riseNConquer81 said:

Tom Brady is overrated. 

Tom Brady has 5 rings, dude.

For those of you that wanted us to finally draft a legit WR or RB with our first pick can forget about it now, looks like our first 3 rounds will be dedicated to the Oline or defense, bumber

5 hours ago, Mahatma_Sloth said:

rise must be fun to take to parties

i am. 
what's that got to do with this though?

4 hours ago, hen826957 said:

"Tom Brady is overrated" huh... l'm scratching my head on that statement. Are you sure you didn't accidentally wrote that statement by accident?

argue otherwise without bringing up rings.