BR News

[News] Ravens Trade Jeremy Zuttah To San Francisco 49ers

107 posts in this topic

Baltimore will move up 12 picks in the sixth round of this year’s NFL Draft. Trading Zuttah saves $5.8 million in salary cap space, but means the Ravens need new starters at center and right tackle.

View the full article

I'm sorry but that's hillarious! We moved up 12 spots in the 6th round. Really?...

Just let the guy walk allowing him to chose his destination if that's all we get in return. Am I missing something?

brilliant move by ozzie, its better than nothing and u wipe out his salary.

Edited by omar586

Doesn't trading create less dead money that counts against the cap vs cutting? Maybe the swap was just to have each team get something in return to be a formal transaction?

This is much better than releasing him.  6th round or not, moving up from 16th to 4th pick in that round bodes well for the Ravens.  Ozzie's late round picks are usually better than most teams.  I've always liked Jensen, big Red won't be caved into Flacco the way Zuttah has been of late.  He is always grinding and putting him at center can help us create that mauling type offensive line we need to re-invigorate our running game and keep the rush off Joe to find his targets down field.  Good move Ozzie!

we were gonna save 3.5 million and get pick 198 but now becuz of the wisdom of Ozzie we save 5.8 millon and get pick number 186.

I'm sorry but that's hillarious! We moved up 12 spots in the 6th round. Really?...

Just let the guy walk allowing him to chose his destination if that's all we get in return. Am I missing something?

hopefully it is packaged on draft day to move up in some round

25 minutes ago, Halshayeji said:

It's just business, nothing personal.

7 minutes ago, Somerset Ravens said:
33 minutes ago, Halshayeji said:

It's just business, nothing personal.

Read Sami's post below.

As in the Guinness commercial, "Brilliant!"

Edited by ravensnj

Besides the fact we saved extra cap space, moved up in the draft (in any round is a good thing) and no doubt Ozzie has a solution and a backup to that solution before he ever would have released Zuttah regardless of cap savings. We may not like his solution but because he has access to a lot more information than I do, I have to believe "In Oz We Trust". I agree with someone who said Jensen was a mauler and would do well there and during the only games Zuttah missed, Urschel filled in with no real loss (after he practiced a shotgun snap lol). Or Ozzie may know some team who might cut or trade one of their centers before all is said and done. We have 6 months and we have just started and Ozzie does his best work at the last minute or later in the draft. This is a marathon not a sprint and Oz is on top of it. If we lockdown or draft a top corner, our secondary will be as good as we've seen in awhile and with that front, we have a scary good defense. Hensley of ESPN is questioning Oz about not securing a WR when the market has pretty much dried up now but Oz has never gotten into a scramble and bidding war for a player. He likes to sit back and wait for the dust to clear and like I said before, when teams cut down from 90 to 53, in 6 months, there are going to be a ton of veteran possession receivers looking for a job or a team, like the Eagles, who have too many, might get off someone like Jordan Matthews or someone like him. Plenty of time, plenty of time.

moving up 12 spots in the 6th round does not count as "get[ting] something in return."

Edited by riseNConquer81
i cant math

we were gonna save 3.5 million and get pick 198 but now becuz of the wisdom of Ozzie we save 5.8 millon and get pick number 186.

Stop making sense. It's giving us headaches.

5.8 over the next two seasons. its the same as releasing. we didnt get anything extra, we just moved up 12 spots in a nearly irrelevant round .

2 minutes ago, riseNConquer81 said:

moving up 5 spots in the 6th round does not count as "get[ting] something in return."

Its currency to use during the draft.  

Just now, Cawtious said:

we already had a 6th round pick. 
Nobody cares about the difference between pick 186 and 198...except for us, apparently.

Others would have rather us "just release him." SMH

55 minutes ago, omar586 said:

Others would have rather us "just release him." SMH

don't think anybody's saying that.
Just pointing out that the net effect is the same.

We havent made anybody from the 6th round materialize into anything, moving up 12 spots aint gon change that.

the niners are the only ones who actually got anything out of this deal, which is why they took it.

6 minutes ago, riseNConquer81 said:

We havent made anybody from the 6th round materialize into anything, moving up 12 spots aint gon change that.

the niners are the only ones who actually got anything out of this deal, which is why they took it.

If released what's the odds he gets signed for the same amt or more left on his contract?

he keeps his pay and goes to a system/coach who he's familiar with and wants him - win for him. 

Sf gets a player that fits their system and can contribute by just moving back in the 6th - win for them. 

We move a guy we were gonna cut and move up a bit in the 6th, which adds value in case of trading the pick. - win for us. 

12 minutes ago, riseNConquer81 said:

If released what's the odds he gets signed for the same amt or more left on his contract?

he keeps his pay and goes to a system/coach who he's familiar with and wants him - win for him. 

Sf gets a player that fits their system and can contribute by just moving back in the 6th - win for them. 

We move a guy we were gonna cut and move up a bit in the 6th, which adds value in case of trading the pick. - win for us. 

dont know, dont care. doesnt matter.

6th round pick is a 6th round pick. The 6th is not a round where there's any value in trading places with someone unless there's somebody that fell dramatically for some odd reason.

Those 12 spots didnt change the value of that pick in any significant way.

Okay we get the SF pick in the 6th round and give up our own. We create 5.8M in cap space. But, what next? Who's his replacement? We are supposedly not in talks with Mangold so please don't tell me it is either the math guy or Jensen that's going to be Center?

Okay we get the SF pick in the 6th round and give up our own. We create 5.8M in cap space. But, what next? Who's his replacement? We are supposedly not in talks with Mangold so please don't tell me it is either the math guy or Jensen that's going to be Center?

"Math guy" has a name. It's Urschel, and for now: yes, that's all we got.

Anyone who thinks Urschel is better than Zuttah, is g(x)=4x+6-1+k(y) in the head.

dont have any idea what that's supposed to mean, or why you wrote 6-1 instead of just 5,

but in any case: Zuttah wasnt exactly great and he was undersized to begin with. Urschel or Jensen couldnt do much worse, but we definitely want better if we could get it.

55 minutes ago, Cawtious said:

we already had a 6th round pick. 
Nobody cares about the difference between pick 186 and 198...except for us, apparently.

You would think people understand what getting first dibs on the last of the peanut butter means for the hungry man. Every pick can turn into a great addition, does not guarantee anything but it does not hurt your chances either.

People need to chill out and watch Ozzie and Co. do what they do best! Smh it's only March Lol

Zuttah was going to be a cap casualty anyway. His performance declined and he was working through injuries last season. Saving money and moving up in the draft is a win.

Let's not forget Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Maybe this year we hit a jackpot with our 6th rounder. You just never know :-)

It also saved $5.8 million in cap. What's wrong with that?