BR News

[News] 2017: Ravens Mock Draft Monitor 3.0

42 posts in this topic

I'd like to throw in a name not linked too much to the Ravens - Stanford RB Christian McCaffery. So many have John Ross right now picked for the Ravens, but he'd compete against Wallace and Perriman for play time meaning our 1st rd pick wouldn't get used much. He is smaller than them, less experienced and is a raw route runner. Better to trade back to the 20's, pick up another pick or two and draft McCaffery who is a better all around offensive weapon who can play from the slot (a need), is durable, smart, has better hands and gives you offensive and ST options immediately. Think of him as a Julian Edelman in a Ravens uni. Make it happen Ozzie!

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Could've been an option if we didn't sign Jefferson. I think there is about a 1% chance we take him now. We're set at the Safety position for years, And Peppers is too small to play LB in the NFL. He would have to add 25lbs to even be a small ILB. I agree though, he was a leader at the combine.

Peppers would be able to learn under Weddle this year and immediately contribute in the return game. Ravens already said they would be interested in getting another safety if he fit the team and I don't think there is a better one to do that. Jefferson could easily slide inside on certain formations and be able to hold his own, more and more teams are switching to smaller but more athletic WILB so keep up with the TE's and RBs in the passing game. If we don't draft him and he ends up a Steeler I guarantee he will make Ozzie and Eric regret passing him up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2017 at 7:51 PM, law215 said:

My only concerns on the list are Ross. He look tiny and in the NFL, he may get beat up in the middle. Lawson reminds me of Upshaw.

He is 5'10-11 but guess what, TY Hilton and AB are in that range and kill defenses on a regular basis. Speed kills and so does great route running. Those are two huge things we need. Perriman is fast and a big target, but he has shaky hands and abysmal route running abilities. Ross has fast acceleration as well with great routes 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 2:02 AM, sizzlingdoom said:

Humphrey scares the crap out of me. Of all the people we might take, I really hope we don't take him.

I think he has a lot of positive traits, but you have to remember he is really young still and a lot of his problems relates to coachable technique. When he is in zone or keeps the play in front of him, he is a stud. He just needs improving on opening up too early. Would be a solid pick between 15-20

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 3/15/2017 at 11:02 PM, sizzlingdoom said:

Humphrey scares the crap out of me. Of all the people we might take, I really hope we don't take him.

I think he has a lot of positive traits, but you have to remember he is really young still and a lot of his problems relates to coachable technique. When he is in zone or keeps the play in front of him, he is a stud. He just needs improving on opening up too early. Would be a solid pick between 15-20

One trait that I really like to watch with corners is how they react when the ball's in the air. I agree he has a lot of technique that can be coached. But he got beat deep a lot and kinda panics when the ball is in the air going deep at all. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't take in til the 2nd. But I think teams will fall in love with his measurables, and he might even go top 12. I don't think there's anyways we take him at 16 now with Carr.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 3/15/2017 at 4:51 PM, law215 said:

My only concerns on the list are Ross. He look tiny and in the NFL, he may get beat up in the middle. Lawson reminds me of Upshaw.

He is 5'10-11 but guess what, TY Hilton and AB are in that range and kill defenses on a regular basis. Speed kills and so does great route running. Those are two huge things we need. Perriman is fast and a big target, but he has shaky hands and abysmal route running abilities. Ross has fast acceleration as well with great routes 

I doubt we take Ross. Thinking about it strictly from a speed standpoint though, Perriman, Wallace, and Ross would be outrageous. I love the way Ross tracks the ball in the air too. The mismatches that could be created with those 3 wrs on the field at the same time......and Jamal Charles in the backfield........... :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  On 3/15/2017 at 4:51 PM, law215 said:

My only concerns on the list are Ross. He look tiny and in the NFL, he may get beat up in the middle. Lawson reminds me of Upshaw.

He is 5'10-11 but guess what, TY Hilton and AB are in that range and kill defenses on a regular basis. Speed kills and so does great route running. Those are two huge things we need. Perriman is fast and a big target, but he has shaky hands and abysmal route running abilities. Ross has fast acceleration as well with great routes 

I've watched his highlights a few times before. But i just watched them again, taking some things that you said into account. Before I was thinking he was just a one trick deep threat. But it looks like he might be quite a bit more. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind if we took him. Especially if he returned kicks too. Might be an awesome sleeper pick. I'm kinda wondering if he makes it to 16. He's a little bigger than Desean and Antonio. I wouldn't have guessed that

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People might hate this thought but I think Ross had a chance to be BPA at 16. It's not likely but he is a much more finished product that Perriman coming out. 

His routes are crisp and his hands are consistent. He is a game changer 

WR often look really good in college, but when get to the NFL cannot produce. Here in lies the proof, how many older receivers are still competitive in the NFL? Many.

Its always a risk, I think that the best way to judge a WR in the draft is look at how they performed against the top defenses in college over the past 3 years. See if there is a standout against the top CB and Safeties. It takes a lot of evaluation but I can guarantee the Ravens staff is doing it.

With Perriman and Moore being so young I am not sure that the Ravens are committed to putting another rookie on the field in place of them, taking reps away. Perriman is still developing into his "own skin" and Moore already shows signs of All Pro performance. I think we have our 3 starters in Wallace, Perriman and Moore. Not to mention, Ptta, Woodhead, Campinaro and Waller all who could easily eclipse 500 yrds in a season if given the reps in my opinion. I think a Veteran WR who will fill the slot receiver role and not expect or command a high number of reps. ( like Woodhead, a Micheal Floyd or Victor Cruz Rod Streater might perform in a contribution format )

Normally round 1 is getting a "starter" for the Ravens, yes BPA but BPA to "start", this means against the players that are already part of the roster as well.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

One trait that I really like to watch with corners is how they react when the ball's in the air. I agree he has a lot of technique that can be coached. But he got beat deep a lot and kinda panics when the ball is in the air going deep at all. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't take in til the 2nd. But I think teams will fall in love with his measurables, and he might even go top 12. I don't think there's anyways we take him at 16 now with Carr.

Ya I have a strong feeling we are going pass rush or offense in the first

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sizzlingdoom said:

I've watched his highlights a few times before. But i just watched them again, taking some things that you said into account. Before I was thinking he was just a one trick deep threat. But it looks like he might be quite a bit more. Very interesting. I wouldn't mind if we took him. Especially if he returned kicks too. Might be an awesome sleeper pick. I'm kinda wondering if he makes it to 16. He's a little bigger than Desean and Antonio. I wouldn't have guessed that

I thought the same too, as far as being a one trick pony anyway. But he could actually make this offense dangerous, especially if Perriman develops too. Some of Flacco's issues for years have come from his receivers not getting separation, yet with Ross, he can shake guys quick. He is quick off the line and if the DB doesn't successfully jam, forget about it.

I think Buffalo might take Davis or Williams and maybe Arizona could take a WR too. Team needs at the top of the draft will likely put one of the three in our laps 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

WR often look really good in college, but when get to the NFL cannot produce. Here in lies the proof, how many older receivers are still competitive in the NFL? Many.

Its always a risk, I think that the best way to judge a WR in the draft is look at how they performed against the top defenses in college over the past 3 years. See if there is a standout against the top CB and Safeties. It takes a lot of evaluation but I can guarantee the Ravens staff is doing it.

With Perriman and Moore being so young I am not sure that the Ravens are committed to putting another rookie on the field in place of them, taking reps away. Perriman is still developing into his "own skin" and Moore already shows signs of All Pro performance. I think we have our 3 starters in Wallace, Perriman and Moore. Not to mention, Ptta, Woodhead, Campinaro and Waller all who could easily eclipse 500 yrds in a season if given the reps in my opinion. I think a Veteran WR who will fill the slot receiver role and not expect or command a high number of reps. ( like Woodhead, a Micheal Floyd or Victor Cruz Rod Streater might perform in a contribution format )

Normally round 1 is getting a "starter" for the Ravens, yes BPA but BPA to "start", this means against the players that are already part of the roster as well.

Did you just say Moore has flashed all pro ability? 😂 The guy had stone hands and made a couple big plays on ST. No confidence in him yet. 

As far as starting ability, it won't matter who is on the current roster when we draft someone, especially at WR. Just look at 14', everyone was outraged when we picked Mosley when we drafted Art Brown the year before. Mosley started and Brown never seen the field. The better talent will win out. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now