BR News

[News] Report: Ravens Releasing Center Jeremy Zuttah

36 posts in this topic

Wow! I can't believe all the hate being directed towards Zuttah....

sure i also desired a little more out of the C position last year but to call zuttah a bust or horrible is so uncalled for. The guy was the 14th highest paid C in football and played through various injuries and various OLine combinations.

tell me 15 better centers and il concede that Zuttah was as horrible as advertised. Hoping for an upgrade is one thing but hating on a guy that was a huge upgrade from Gradkowski is unfair in my eyes. When was the last time Flacco fumbled?.... We literally didn't hear of Zuttah for 2 years at one time because he was pritty damn good.

do I believe Zuttah declined a bit. Yes, but please don't call him a failure when he just came back from a pro bowl. He was payed average money and played above average for his total duration. Now it's time to move on and hope for better. Just don't go out on a limb and start character ads assasining  Zuttah to prove a point.

well know more details later but I think something is being kept from us...

3 minutes ago, The Mom Gene said:

Point was they let him go.. He couldn't have been that valuable to them either

If that was your point then touché. It is sadly hillarious to expect much from someone who the bucs didn't even see that much value in. I guess we were that desperate after Gino almost got Joe killed

Got to love this time of the year. Love to see so many GM's and coaches that think they know what's best for the team.

Zuttah went to the 49ers and we traded 6th round draft picks for him.

#InOzzieWeTrust
#HeGotThis

This is going to be a great year for drafting defensive players and the contrarian Ravens will spend the first 3 rounds drafting offense. I hope not but ... smh

3 hours ago, Ravenous_Ravens said:

Stop campaigning for Mangold please. If Zuttah was released due to declined play, what makes anyone think the opposite of Mangold? He is in a similar situation and also coming off injuries. When people start suggesting he should move positions that should be enough of a red flag to pursue for playing his natural position.

To be fair Zuttah, was not a bad center. The real issue was as he continued to age, his strength was not up to the same level it previously had been. This translated to less push in the run game and committing more costly penalties on occasion. As far as a pass protector, he was still playing well. This, to me, comes down to the fact the Ravens want to run the ball like the good old days. Urschel has always played relatively well a C as well, with the biggest knock being about the lack of push in the run game. However when cap dollars come into play, Urschel is much cheaper and younger. He might have even bulked up enough to change some opinions. IMHO this is a smart move, even with a little uncertainty about who the starter is for certain. There is that monster C in the draft too. Just saying.

Boldin makes a lot of sense, but only depending on price. Given the young core of WR they currently have, it may make sense to sign on a cheaper contract knowing he won't necessarily need to take a high number of snaps. Something I would hazard a guess could hold some water at 36. Being a 3rd down man an alternating with the other WR could be a nice fill gap option to really let the youngsters develop and save some tread life for Boldin.

Just because two separate players have declined doesn't make them equal. Their starting points and the amount they declined are independent of the other. 

3 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

I think more like; Stanley- Lewis- Elflein (rookie draft)- Yanda - Hurst, Use Urshel, Jensen and Skura as a back up plan to Center and Guard , Nemobot and DeOndre back up to Tackles. Still have to look hard at
Pughsley and Broxton.

Time to get a top Center from the Draft. Elflien or Pocic are both really good Centers.
Sandwiched between possibly the 2 best guards in the NFL will be the key.

Really? Hurst - the guy who got Joe's knee injured......how about, Noooo Scott!