BR News

[News] Report: Ravens Releasing Center Jeremy Zuttah

36 posts in this topic

For the Ravens to release him, there must be something going on behind the scenes, like we're on the verge of getting another center, perhaps.

Remember the year of horror when Matt Birk left? Still think the Ravens are finishing better than 8-8?

Zuttah is probably wondering what more could he do.

There was a reason that Tampa released him to begin with. Very often he was pushed back into Joe. The guy wasn't that great of a Center to begin with.

27 minutes ago, JD08 said:

Ozzie is up to something, just waiting to see

Maybe not. Don't be surprised if Ozzie decides to go with Urshel to start the season. Not saying it's a great idea but releasing Zuttah and not being in the Mangold dealings as of yet, says that they may use in house or wait to see who shakes out when cuts start .

Mangold seems like the answer here... why we are not interested is the question. The other question is why is Watson still on the roster?

Zuttah was just horrible, the eye test on JZ we could see blown calls and just terrible angles he took , hope he has success for different team, but I think Urshel could be better and a lot cheaper...

With the release of zuttah, I would love to see Mangold sign on a 1-2 year deal. Same with A.Boldin. A tough slot receiver that flacco trusts is what we need. 

15 minutes ago, budman said:

Maybe not. Don't be surprised if Ozzie decides to go with Urshel to start the season. Not saying it's a great idea but releasing Zuttah and not being in the Mangold dealings as of yet, says that they may use in house or wait to see who shakes out when cuts start .

So, our current O line would be Stanley, Jensen, Urschel, Yanda and Lewis - with Hurst and 3 potted plants as backups. 

Ozzie better be up to something. 

zuttah was manhandled in short yardage situations and even with juice we couldnt convert for the most part which is why i wasnt too upset when we lost juice to the niners. not sure mangold is the answer even in the short term with his injury issues as of late. teams have inquired if mangold would be willing to switch to guard which tells me at age 33 teams have their doubts. wonder if a trade is in the works for one

Two things here:

- If Zuttah was THAT bad, how/why does he go to the Probowl (even as an alternate)?

- All offseason we heard strengthening the O-line was paramount.  Now we're down 2 starters.  How Sway?

8 minutes ago, 757RavensFan said:

Two things here:

- If Zuttah was THAT bad, how/why does he go to the Probowl (even as an alternate)?

- All offseason we heard strengthening the O-line was paramount.  Now we're down 2 starters.  How Sway?

Because there's 32 starting centers. 2 won't go because the sb so if enough opt out then yes the 16th rated center is bound to go. 

I mean we saw bridgewater and tyrod as pro bowl qbs too

Now we know why they are loading up on defense. The offense has been hopeless and Zuttah looked just plain lost sometimes. I hope they find another Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in this years draft.

Stop campaigning for Mangold please. If Zuttah was released due to declined play, what makes anyone think the opposite of Mangold? He is in a similar situation and also coming off injuries. When people start suggesting he should move positions that should be enough of a red flag to pursue for playing his natural position.

To be fair Zuttah, was not a bad center. The real issue was as he continued to age, his strength was not up to the same level it previously had been. This translated to less push in the run game and committing more costly penalties on occasion. As far as a pass protector, he was still playing well. This, to me, comes down to the fact the Ravens want to run the ball like the good old days. Urschel has always played relatively well a C as well, with the biggest knock being about the lack of push in the run game. However when cap dollars come into play, Urschel is much cheaper and younger. He might have even bulked up enough to change some opinions. IMHO this is a smart move, even with a little uncertainty about who the starter is for certain. There is that monster C in the draft too. Just saying.

Boldin makes a lot of sense, but only depending on price. Given the young core of WR they currently have, it may make sense to sign on a cheaper contract knowing he won't necessarily need to take a high number of snaps. Something I would hazard a guess could hold some water at 36. Being a 3rd down man an alternating with the other WR could be a nice fill gap option to really let the youngsters develop and save some tread life for Boldin.

This move doesn't really free up a lot of cap so I'm a bit surprised that it happened this year instead of next year. I hoped we'd sign someone like Mangold and make zuttah the first guy off the bench in case of serious injuries.

The way I look at it is that we have 3 good starters in Lewis, Stanley, and Yanda. We have 2 descent backups in Urschel and Jensen. We need 2 more starters and 1 backup (preferably better than Jensen an Urschel) because we all know what happened the last two years when both started together.

chop chop Ozzie. You promised an improved line!

2 hours ago, The Mom Gene said:

There was a reason that Tampa released him to begin with. Very often he was pushed back into Joe. The guy wasn't that great of a Center to begin with.

Tampa didn't release him. We traded for him lol

I hope we have a good plan because now we do not have any depth on the line. Vlad, Wagner, and Zuttah are gone. We need to pick up some decent guys to protect Joe in the offensive trenches.

Two things here:

LOL l laugh hard at this. He only made the Pro Bowl because he was a backup alternate. Many of the Pro Bowl centers couldn't make it so they use him as a substitute.

1 hour ago, 757RavensFan said:

Tyrod Taylor is a Pro Bowl QB. That should put Zuttah's appearance in perspective.

Edited by bioLarzen

Man, I just hope they're not indeed planning to replace him with Urschel... When a player isn't famous for his on-the-field performance, and also gets outplayed by a rookie, it's seldom encouraging...

I have a Gradkowski v2.0 feeling about having Urschel as our starting C...

Edited by bioLarzen

1 hour ago, budman said:

So, our current O line would be Stanley, Jensen, Urschel, Yanda and Lewis - with Hurst and 3 potted plants as backups. 

I think more like; Stanley- Lewis- Elflein (rookie draft)- Yanda - Hurst, Use Urshel, Jensen and Skura as a back up plan to Center and Guard , Nemobot and DeOndre back up to Tackles. Still have to look hard at
Pughsley and Broxton.

Time to get a top Center from the Draft. Elflien or Pocic are both really good Centers.
Sandwiched between possibly the 2 best guards in the NFL will be the key.

Thanks Jeremy Zuttah! Ozzie and Co. prolly got their birds eyes on a draft pick that can compete for the starting position! Ozzie never makes his move too soon!

I hope we have a good plan because now we do not have any depth on the line. Vlad, Wagner, and Zuttah are gone. We need to pick up some decent guys to protect Joe in the offensive trenches.

yes we have a plan. That is what the FO said at the end of the season, they will upgrade the OLine. Last year, our OLine was horrible. Not sure why people are panicking when we lost Wagner and Zuttah. We needed change in our OLine anyway. FO will find replacements. Also we have one of the best OLine coaches on the team,Joe D'Alessandris. So getting few OLs in the draft and the in-house young OLs won't be a bad option. Harbaugh said that the Ravens will build the best offensive line in the league and I believe it. This is just a start.

2 hours ago, balfan23 said:
  3 hours ago, budman said:

I think more like; Stanley- Lewis- Elflein (rookie draft)- Yanda - Hurst, Use Urshel, Jensen and Skura as a back up plan to Center and Guard , Nemobot and DeOndre back up to Tackles. Still have to look hard at
Pughsley and Broxton.

Time to get a top Center from the Draft. Elflien or Pocic are both really good Centers.

Jay Guillermo in Day 3 could be a nice project behind Mangold. So that way we can use our 99th pick in the 3rd on a OT/C.
I like Jay Guillermo a lot, especially his performance against Alabama in the NCAA championship. He just need to work in his blocking in run game. He has a good pass protection skills.

6 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

Pughsley and Broxton.

Hurst is a starter? Well, I suppose at RT at least Joe will see the unblocked edge rusher before he gets drilled. At least that won't result in a strip sack. 

IMO we need more help on the O line than just getting a rookie center. 

We will have Yanda,Stanley, and Lewis at least. That line neeeds to get better anyway. Urschel was our stand in for Zuttah.

Just now, The Mom Gene said:

Tampa didn't release him. We traded for him lol

Point was they let him go.. He couldn't have been that valuable to them either