BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/15: Does Ozzie Newsome Have Something Up His Sleeve For Offense?

58 posts in this topic

trade our next 10 7th rd picks to the browns for the rights to roll the dice on josh gordon.  

56 minutes ago, ravensnj said:

McCaffery is hands down better than Edelman. I also, like him better than anyone in this draft. He can line up anywhere; outside, slot, back field, and can even throw a pass!

I'm a huge fan of McCaffery myself but did you just say he's hands down better than Edlman?

no rookie is hands down better than a proven thousand yard receiver before they play an NFL snap

3 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Wow they did. I guess there interested in signing Mangold.

It is written that the Ravens are not one of the teams in negotiations with Mangold as of the present time.

22 minutes ago, hen826957 said:

Zach Brown expects to visit the Raiders as we speak.

You better not be messing with me 😡😡

18 minutes ago, budman said:

It is written that the Ravens are not one of the teams in negotiations with Mangold as of the present time.

Hmm... something on Ozzie sleeve about that situation. 🤔

Edited by hen826957

3 hours ago, MadStorkSociety said:
  4 hours ago, Some Dumb Fan said:

I say Ozzie's surprise will be ...................... OJ Howard! Why?
1. If he's available he is BPA
2. Pitta and Howard would be big headaches for any defense.
3. Max is a bust, Gilmore is a blocking tight end!
4. We will save cap space by cutting Watson
5. This is the next best thing to having a dominate slot WR which we need. Wallace and Perriman will stretch the field while TE's do damage in the middle.

We shall see

1. Not necessarily, and we have so many other needs. It would work better if we could trade one of our existing TE's, maybe for an OL guy.
3. Gilmore is pretty darn good with the ball in his hands.
5. I agree. If we have a chain moving TE, do we need a chain moving WR?

i was actually talking with a buddy of mine about the possibility of the front office trading one of the te's for a pick or o-lineman

I don't see any of our TEs having trade value.

2 hours ago, The Greek said:
  4 hours ago, MadStorkSociety said:
  5 hours ago, Some Dumb Fan said:

I say Ozzie's surprise will be ...................... OJ Howard! Why?
1. If he's available he is BPA
2. Pitta and Howard would be big headaches for any defense.
3. Max is a bust, Gilmore is a blocking tight end!
4. We will save cap space by cutting Watson
5. This is the next best thing to having a dominate slot WR which we need. Wallace and Perriman will stretch the field while TE's do damage in the middle.

We shall see

1. Not necessarily, and we have so many other needs. It would work better if we could trade one of our existing TE's, maybe for an OL guy.
3. Gilmore is pretty darn good with the ball in his hands.
5. I agree. If we have a chain moving TE, do we need a chain moving WR?

i was actually talking with a buddy of mine about the possibility of the front office trading one of the te's for a pick or o-lineman

I don't see any of our TEs having trade value.

True. If we traded a TE we would receive a 7th round pick(maybe)

6 hours ago, fusuymada said:

The Raven's failure to be able to draft or sign a long term #1 Wide Receiver have been well known by fans, other GMs and the news media. This is nothing new and Ozzie ignoring it is just par for the course. Don't know why anyone is surprised.

You know how the Government when being investigated hires a special independent investigator and prosecutor. I think the Ravens need a WR independent investigator and decision maker. Clearly we can't do it in any aspect from the draft to retirement with the staff we have in the FO, we have missed horribly.

The Ravens need a special department solely devoted to analysis of college and pro wide receivers so we can actually be successful at doing something, anything in the way of signing a WR. They need to have access to a specified amount of the salary cap and act completely independent in their analysis. Ozzie tells them that we need 2 rookie and one free agent vet and then this department takes it from there and they get what they want.

Bisciotti has to do something at some time because this has gotten ridiculous. No other team is as miserable at signing players than the Ravens are at signing or drafting WRs. Can we get old guys who can fill in, yes, but how about a young, good, WR, that we can keep and will help Flacco to be more successful because they develop a rapport that last longer than 2 years.

the browns have been just as bad when it comes to qb's

Don't care about the Browns as they will always be 5 years away from being 5 years away. WE need to do a better job at selecting WR's.
I'd be ok with Perriman being mediocre if he was drafted in the 4th or 5th round. Can't accept mediocrity from a #1 pick.

3 hours ago, ravensnj said:

McCaffery is hands down better than Edelman. I also, like him better than anyone in this draft. He can line up anywhere; outside, slot, back field, and can even throw a pass!

I'm a huge fan of McCaffery myself but did you just say he's hands down better than Edlman?

no rookie is hands down better than a proven thousand yard receiver before they play an NFL snap

"no rookie is hands down better than a proven thousand yard receiver before they play an NFL snap"
Yea, I hate when people start giving props to untested rookies. I don't care how good you were in college, after all, 90% of the guys you were playing against aren't good enough to make the NFL. Play your first NFL season, then we'll start making comparisons!

So Zuttah is traded for an exchange of 6th round picks with the Niners. That saves us good amount of cap space. I think its a good move but where is the replacement? I hear we're not bidding for Mangold? So who? Not Jensen or math genius for sure??

2 hours ago, Halshayeji said:

Well he is, watch and see.

3 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Yep. I really hope Ozzie listening. I really want them to sign Zack Brown. A 3 year deal would be perfect and will full a hole at LB and he won't be that expensive. As a matter of fact, it might be a huge upgrade over Orr. Sign him Ozzie. 👍

I don't think I would make the assumption that he won't be that expensive.  He had a ridiculously good year with Buffalo.  The four years  prior to that season he did not play that well.  He almost doubled his tackles in 2016 compared to 2015.  He had 149 tackles last year and before that he never even broke the 100 tackle mark.  Now if we sign him to a contract based solely on last season, we could get screwed down the line when he doesnt put up those kind of numbers.  And if that happened people here (even the people that are advocating for the FO to sign him) will say what a terrible move the FO made by signing a guy that has had one good season in his entire career.  He and his agent are looking for that type of contract and that type of contract is not going to be as inexpensive as you are predicting.  But expense is relative.  It will be inexpensive compared to BWills contracts for sure. But it will be expensive for a player who has only had one good season in his five year career.  I like Zach.  I think he would be a good addition, but he is a risky signing, and we are going to have to throw more money to him that he probably deserves at this point.  There is another factor here which the front office would have a better understanding than I do at this point.  And that is what his success last year is attributed to.  I think whatever the answer to that question is will make us either more or less willing to shell out the dough to sign him.

32 minutes ago, billiejean said:
4 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Yep. I really hope Ozzie listening. I really want them to sign Zack Brown. A 3 year deal would be perfect and will full a hole at LB and he won't be that expensive. As a matter of fact, it might be a huge upgrade over Orr. Sign him Ozzie. 👍

I don't think I would make the assumption that he won't be that expensive.  He had a ridiculously good year with Buffalo.  The four years  prior to that season he did not play that well.  He almost doubled his tackles in 2016 compared to 2015.  He had 149 tackles last year and before that he never even broke the 100 tackle mark.  Now if we sign him to a contract based solely on last season, we could get screwed down the line when he doesnt put up those kind of numbers.  And if that happened people here (even the people that are advocating for the FO to sign him) will say what a terrible move the FO made by signing a guy that has had one good season in his entire career.  He and his agent are looking for that type of contract and that type of contract is not going to be as inexpensive as you are predicting.  But expense is relative.  It will be inexpensive compared to BWills contracts for sure. But it will be expensive for a player who has only had one good season in his five year career.  I like Zach.  I think he would be a good addition, but he is a risky signing, and we are going to have to throw more money to him that he probably deserves at this point.  There is another factor here which the front office would have a better understanding than I do at this point.  And that is what his success last year is attributed to.  I think whatever the answer to that question is will make us either more or less willing to shell out the dough to sign him.

It will be a good signing. He even had decent seasons before even last year. Just by looking at his stats, 2015: 77 tackles, 0.5, 2 ints, 2014: l guess he didn't play, 2013: 91 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 int, 2012: 93 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 ints. Between 2013-2012 he got Mosley numbers of this season so l wouldn't say he had one good season. He had a good season in his rookie year with the Titans. 3 years, 20 million will probably be enough to get him. He's a good plug in play to replace Orr. At least he know how to sack the Qb.

Edited by hen826957

OK think there are some good options that will work; Here is one scenario;

FA- sign Latavius Murray RB for 5-6mil Yr.
FA- Sign Zack Brown ILB for 3.2-4.2 Mil. yr.

do not sign Claiborne or Mangold-
Best chance for a CB at pick #1, ([ profanity deleted]- WR or Pass Rush)
#48 get Pat Elflein- Center -with the second pick.
This leaves 5 picks to strengthen Pass Rush, OL WR.

wild cards - a high rated Edge or one of the 2 WR's Williams or Davis are available at 16, but if not
get a WR and pass rush deeper in the draft and possibly pick up a cap casualty

The best shot at a RB at #16 is Dalvin Cook. This of course changes the FA situation at RB which I would not risk.

1 hour ago, hen826957 said:

It will be a good signing. He even had decent seasons before even last year. Just by looking at his stats, 2015: 77 tackles, 0.5, 2 ints, 2014: l guess he didn't play, 2013: 91 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 int, 2012: 93 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 ints. Between 2013-2012 he got Mosley numbers of this season so l wouldn't say he had one good season. He had a good season in his rookie year with the Titans. 3 years, 20 million will probably be enough to get him. He's a good plug in play to replace Orr. At least he know how to sack the Qb.

Yea your right saying he only had one good season is an exaggeration.  I think 3 years 20 mil is probably a good estimate of what it would take to pick him up.

3 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

So Zuttah is traded for an exchange of 6th round picks with the Niners. That saves us good amount of cap space. I think its a good move but where is the replacement? I hear we're not bidding for Mangold? So who? Not Jensen or math genius for sure??

Urschel is no better than Zuttah physically.  Jensen is a very good run blocker, but has trouble getting to the second level and is barely average in pass protection.

Our other options are Skura (great C at Duke, but a lighter build in the mold of Zuttah), Pughsley (have no idea) or possibly Wesley (big dude right there).  

Keep an eye on Nembot at RT.  Dude is a tremendous athlete.

He probably has a new list of excuses ready for Flacco along with, 'Why your weapons for Joe continue to not work', handbook.

wild cards - a high rated Edge or one of the 2 WR's Williams or Davis are available at 16, but if not

The best shot at a RB at #16 is Dalvin Cook. This of course changes the FA situation at RB which I would not risk.

Murray signed with the Vikings. Not that it matters, because we weren't in the market for a guy like him anyway.

On 3/15/2017 at 6:32 PM, hen826957 said:

Yea your right saying he only had one good season is an exaggeration.  I think 3 years 20 mil is probably a good estimate of what it would take to pick him up.

Brown already played on a 1 year prove it deal (he proved it). He's going to demand a 4-5 year deal at $8+ million per....too rich for the Ravens

On 3/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, bigcatfrank1 said:

Frank we are not going to pick up Murray or any other running back like him in free agency.  Why are you so intent on picking up one of the top RBs in free agency.  I would also get prepared to be disappointed when draft time comes around and we don't take a RB in the first 3 rounds.  Cook and Fourtunette will most likely be gone when we get on the clock in the first.

On 3/15/2017 at 5:10 PM, billiejean said:
  On 3/15/2017 at 3:32 PM, hen826957 said:

Brown already played on a 1 year prove it deal (he proved it). He's going to demand a 4-5 year deal at $8+ million per....too rich for the Ravens

I highly doubt he gets anything close to that. More like 5-6 a year for 2-4 years imo

On 3/17/2017 at 7:37 AM, billiejean said:

Frank we are not going to pick up Murray or any other running back like him in free agency.  Why are you so intent on picking up one of the top RBs in free agency.  I would also get prepared to be disappointed when draft time comes around and we don't take a RB in the first 3 rounds.  Cook and Fourtunette will most likely be gone when we get on the clock in the first.

Which I'm ok with, as long as we get Mike Williams, a big-bodied WR that can make Boldin like catches for Flacco, just what he needs.

Of course we still have the whole O-line situation, pass rush situation, Orr situation and CB situation.....

One things for sure, draft day will be exciting.

Edited by OUravensfan

On March 17, 2017 at 2:37 PM, billiejean said:

I don't think Murray would have been a great fit with the salary he got. But I do believe someone like a Lagarett Blount would elevate our running game untill Dixon proves he's ready to carry the torch. 

1 hour ago, Halshayeji said:

I don't think Murray would have been a great fit with the salary he got. But I do believe someone like a Lagarett Blount would elevate our running game untill Dixon proves he's ready to carry the torch. 

So my main reasoning for not wanting the guy is that he will clearly get over paid and he is just not consistent.  If the FO feels the need to bring a veran running back here after the draft than thats fine.  But we dont need to rush into anything.  I like Blounts running style but he starts to pout like a child when he is not the featured back.  Remember what happened in Pitt.

1 hour ago, OUravensfan said:

Which I'm ok with, as long as we get Mike Williams, a big-bodied WR that can make Boldin like catches for Flacco, just what he needs.

Of course we still have the whole O-line situation, pass rush situation, Orr situation and CB situation.....

One things for sure, draft day will be exciting.

Yea its very hard to predict this year which position we will take.  Some years you can sort of narrow it down.  All I can say with this draft with some certainty is that we aren't going to draft a TE or QB in the first.  And I don't see us taking a RB unless Fournette or Cook fall.  If that happens we would at least have to consider taking a RB. But its all going to come down to how the board plays out.  Hopefully a couple teams before us will take QBs.  But I think there will be a really good CB or pass rusher waiting for us.  As far as receivers go at our current spot I would only consider taking either M. Williams or C. Davis if they are there.  I also like Mccaffrey but I think if we want him we could trade back a little bit for a few late rounders and still nab him as of now at least. The hype around him could definitely increase in the weeks before the draft.  Not a huge fan of the guy Russ.  But what do I know, I was really pumped when we got Art Brown in the second round.  I thought he was going to take the reigns from Ray and we all know how that panned out.  

On 3/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, The Greek said:

trade our next 10 7th rd picks to the browns for the rights to roll the dice on josh gordon.  

lol I hope that was an attempt at sarcasm. Josh Gordon is a tool at best and not the sharpest one either. I would prefer the 10 7th round picks. 

On 3/15/2017 at 8:17 PM, BigUgly said:

Urschel is no better than Zuttah physically.  Jensen is a very good run blocker, but has trouble getting to the second level and is barely average in pass protection.

Our other options are Skura (great C at Duke, but a lighter build in the mold of Zuttah), Pughsley (have no idea) or possibly Wesley (big dude right there).  

Keep an eye on Nembot at RT.  Dude is a tremendous athlete.

i have to agree that we probably have an in house replacement for rt.  center we either trade for or draft but we need a vet for at least a season to teach the rook. mangold is not the answer imo