• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/15: Does Ozzie Newsome Have Something Up His Sleeve For Offense?

58 posts in this topic

Did the Ravens overpay Brandon Williams? What’s up with the fascination with Morris Claiborne? Tony Jefferson can help replace Zachary Orr, and Nick Boyle can help replace Kyle Juszczyk.

View the full article

Christian McCaffrey would do much to up to RB, slot receiver, KR/PR needs, but WR, ER, and CB will probably override his selection. So many needs and only one 1st round pick.

Christian McCaffrey would do much to up to RB, slot receiver, KR/PR needs, but WR, ER, and CB will probably override his selection. So many needs and only one 1st round pick.

Thank you! I've been saying this for weeks now and may Ravens fans are not too high on him. If any fans want a Julian Edelman-type in Bmore that has a nose for first downs and can take on KR/PR duties, he's the guy. The Ravens can also trade out of 16th, a a couple more picks, and draft him in the mid-20's. He's an NFL-ready player. If Joe needs a checkdown guy in the slot that can make 1st downs, look no further.

The Raven's failure to be able to draft or sign a long term #1 Wide Receiver have been well known by fans, other GMs and the news media. This is nothing new and Ozzie ignoring it is just par for the course. Don't know why anyone is surprised.

You know how the Government when being investigated hires a special independent investigator and prosecutor. I think the Ravens need a WR independent investigator and decision maker. Clearly we can't do it in any aspect from the draft to retirement with the staff we have in the FO, we have missed horribly.

The Ravens need a special department solely devoted to analysis of college and pro wide receivers so we can actually be successful at doing something, anything in the way of signing a WR. They need to have access to a specified amount of the salary cap and act completely independent in their analysis. Ozzie tells them that we need 2 rookie and one free agent vet and then this department takes it from there and they get what they want.

Bisciotti has to do something at some time because this has gotten ridiculous. No other team is as miserable at signing players than the Ravens are at signing or drafting WRs. Can we get old guys who can fill in, yes, but how about a young, good, WR, that we can keep and will help Flacco to be more successful because they develop a rapport that last longer than 2 years.

Every agent in the NFL knows that teams are going to overpay their player in free agency especially coming off their rookie contract (if they are any good). No player is going to sign "early" unless you make him the highest paid player at that position. If the Ravens want to lock up Mosley before he hits FA, it's going to take $10-12 million per year. Why hamstring yourself in salary cap for the next 2 years when it will only cost you maybe $1-2 million more than that 2 years down the line?

Claiborne is the best available CB remaining on the market and he's not going to cost you $12 million per like the other guys. Yes he's had injury issues but he has always had elite level talent (something Wright never had). His long arms and ability to play press coverage gives the Ravens something they don't have anywhere on the roster now. He's not without warts but it gives the Ravens some experienced depth and also allows a little more flexibility in the draft (ideally, they still get a CB in round 1 or 2).

Zach Brown is still available and it even might be an upgrade at LB over Orr. If we could get Claiborne as well that would be a plus.

I say Ozzie's surprise will be ...................... OJ Howard! Why?
1. If he's available he is BPA
2. Pitta and Howard would be big headaches for any defense.
3. Max is a bust, Gilmore is a blocking tight end!
4. We will save cap space by cutting Watson
5. This is the next best thing to having a dominate slot WR which we need. Wallace and Perriman will stretch the field while TE's do damage in the middle.

We shall see

While Zuttah is gonna be release, the next ones to go are probably Kyle Arrington and Ben Watson to free some more space. 

Every agent in the NFL knows that teams are going to overpay their player in free agency especially coming off their rookie contract (if they are any good). No player is going to sign "early" unless you make him the highest paid player at that position. If the Ravens want to lock up Mosley before he hits FA, it's going to take $10-12 million per year. Why hamstring yourself in salary cap for the next 2 years when it will only cost you maybe $1-2 million more than that 2 years down the line?

Claiborne is the best available CB remaining on the market and he's not going to cost you $12 million per like the other guys. Yes he's had injury issues but he has always had elite level talent (something Wright never had). His long arms and ability to play press coverage gives the Ravens something they don't have anywhere on the roster now. He's not without warts but it gives the Ravens some experienced depth and also allows a little more flexibility in the draft (ideally, they still get a CB in round 1 or 2).

It would cost them $10-12M this year, or $10-12M two years from now. So why would you pay early?

You pay early IF you think the compensation level is going to skyrocket, which ILB likely won't.

I'd also definitely take the under on that range. My guess would be $8-10M. He won't get paid as much as Kuechly.

The Raven's failure to be able to draft or sign a long term #1 Wide Receiver have been well known by fans, other GMs and the news media. This is nothing new and Ozzie ignoring it is just par for the course. Don't know why anyone is surprised.

You know how the Government when being investigated hires a special independent investigator and prosecutor. I think the Ravens need a WR independent investigator and decision maker. Clearly we can't do it in any aspect from the draft to retirement with the staff we have in the FO, we have missed horribly.

The Ravens need a special department solely devoted to analysis of college and pro wide receivers so we can actually be successful at doing something, anything in the way of signing a WR. They need to have access to a specified amount of the salary cap and act completely independent in their analysis. Ozzie tells them that we need 2 rookie and one free agent vet and then this department takes it from there and they get what they want.

Bisciotti has to do something at some time because this has gotten ridiculous. No other team is as miserable at signing players than the Ravens are at signing or drafting WRs. Can we get old guys who can fill in, yes, but how about a young, good, WR, that we can keep and will help Flacco to be more successful because they develop a rapport that last longer than 2 years.

Disagree on the "nobody is as bad at signing or drafting players as the Ravens are at WR".

In case you hadn't noticed, there are multiple teams in this league that have spent 10-20 years (or more) looking for even a respectable NFL QB.

Torrey Smith alone is a better player than some teams QBs they've drafted for decades.

I think the WR position is really being blown out of proportion, we know Wallace and Perriman will be on the field, but lets not forget Chris Moore, and i think we do get Aiken back or Boldin as the gritty slot WR.....Camp if hecan stay healthy showed he can be productiv as well, with Woodhead seeing time playing as a WR as well....My concern is replacing Orr...

We don't need an analyst for who we draft at WR. What we need is someone to analyze our routes and training methods.

I'm glad someone finally agreed with me on Nick Boyle playing FB.

5. This is the next best thing to having a dominate slot WR which we need. Wallace and Perriman will stretch the field while TE's do damage in the middle.

We shall see

1. Not necessarily, and we have so many other needs. It would work better if we could trade one of our existing TE's, maybe for an OL guy.
3. Gilmore is pretty darn good with the ball in his hands.
5. I agree. If we have a chain moving TE, do we need a chain moving WR?

guys... I think there might be a chance Reuben Foster falls to us. I've started watching tape on the top 50 guys, this man is a bad dude who is gonna be an absolute stud for whoever picks him up. Him next to CJ with Brandon/Timmy/Pierce in the middle and our big hitting safeties coming down off the edge. Tavon and Jimmy would be just fine as our starting CBs with that much pressure. If Kaufusi, KC, or Judon can show up and play, man that defense would be fierce.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

In case you hadn't noticed, there are multiple teams in this league that have spent 10-20 years (or more) looking for even a respectable NFL QB.

We noticed.  Ravens have been looking for 21 years.

1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Nice try.

2 minutes ago, 20306cab said:

That's cute

Of course Ozzie and Co. have something up their sleeves they put good players on this team year after year! Joe has to play better for all of it to work PERIOD! Even Ray Ray saw it like I did and spoke on it but doesn't get warnings and labeled like I did!

Zach Brown is still available and it even might be an upgrade at LB over Orr. If we could get Claiborne as well that would be a plus.

Agree , Z Brown would be a good fit at an attractive price, We have so many needs I doubt WR will be our first pick. Mangold would be a nice piece, but the surprise may be Boldin.....

3 hours ago, Bruce_Almty said:

Thank you! I've been saying this for weeks now and may Ravens fans are not too high on him. If any fans want a Julian Edelman-type in Bmore that has a nose for first downs and can take on KR/PR duties, he's the guy. The Ravens can also trade out of 16th, a a couple more picks, and draft him in the mid-20's. He's an NFL-ready player. If Joe needs a checkdown guy in the slot that can make 1st downs, look no further.

McCaffery is hands down better than Edelman. I also, like him better than anyone in this draft. He can line up anywhere; outside, slot, back field, and can even throw a pass!

2 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Agree , Z Brown would be a good fit at an attractive price, We have so many needs I doubt WR will be our first pick. Mangold would be a nice piece, but the surprise may be Boldin.....

Brown would be yuuuuge!

We shall see

I don't think we have to wait to see. I can already tell you that thats not going to happen. Max a bust? He has only played one season. We have spent way too many resources on TE both through the draft and FA to draft one in the first. When Maxx has played he has played well both in the catching and the blocking department. Gilmore is not only a blocking TE either. He isn't as sure handed as Max but labeling him solely as a blocking TE isn't accurate. Keeping Perriman in your future plans for the team but not Maxx is absurd. They have played in the same amount of games. A guy being hurt for the season isn't a reason to label them a bust. Just because you haven't heard a guys name in the last 6 months doesn't make him any less of a player. The opposite is true too (see John Urschel)

1 hour ago, The Beak said:

Brown would be yuuuuge!

Yep. I really hope Ozzie listening. I really want them to sign Zack Brown. A 3 year deal would be perfect and will full a hole at LB and he won't be that expensive. As a matter of fact, it might be a huge upgrade over Orr. Sign him Ozzie. 👍

35 minutes ago, ravensnj said:
  1 hour ago, The Beak said:

Brown would be yuuuuge!

Yep. I really hope Ozzie listening. I really want them to sign Zack Brown. A 3 year deal would be perfect and will full a hole at LB and he won't be that expensive. As a matter of fact, it might be a huge upgrade over Orr. Sign him Ozzie. 👍

Zach Brown expects to visit the Raiders as we speak.

guys... I think there might be a chance Reuben Foster falls to us. I've started watching tape on the top 50 guys, this man is a bad dude who is gonna be an absolute stud for whoever picks him up. Him next to CJ with Brandon/Timmy/Pierce in the middle and our big hitting safeties coming down off the edge. Tavon and Jimmy would be just fine as our starting CBs with that much pressure. If Kaufusi, KC, or Judon can show up and play, man that defense would be fierce.

not with pees running it

2 hours ago, Some Dumb Fan said:

We shall see

1. Not necessarily, and we have so many other needs. It would work better if we could trade one of our existing TE's, maybe for an OL guy.
3. Gilmore is pretty darn good with the ball in his hands.
5. I agree. If we have a chain moving TE, do we need a chain moving WR?

i was actually talking with a buddy of mine about the possibility of the front office trading one of the te's for a pick or o-lineman

3 hours ago, fusuymada said:

the browns have been just as bad when it comes to qb's