kjbmore

Another year of anaemic offense???

154 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, purpletide said:

That's why I don't think WR is such an urgent need as people make it out to be. I'd still like one that fits us in the draft, but we've got some potential stars that have been limited at the fault of no one. BTW I think we make Boyle the next FB.

At this point I think wr is getting drafted in either the 1st, 3rd or 5th if we pick one up because that's where I think players at that position start having value in each round - davis/Williams in the 1st, Godwin/ford/Taylor in the 3rd, rogers/canon in the 5th to name a few

id support a part-time lead blocking gig for Boyle at this point - it lets us keep an extra offensive player either at tight end or at a skill position and I think he offers more as a receiver than juice with potentially different routes - maybe some less conventional/predictable routes on 1st down passing calls

2 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

At this point I think wr is getting drafted in either the 1st, 3rd or 5th if we pick one up because that's where I think players at that position start having value in each round - davis/Williams in the 1st, Godwin/ford/Taylor in the 3rd, rogers/canon in the 5th to name a few

id support a part-time lead blocking gig for Boyle at this point - it lets us keep an extra offensive player either at tight end or at a skill position and I think he offers more as a receiver than juice with potentially different routes - maybe some less conventional/predictable routes on 1st down passing calls

I also like Kupp, no idea where he's expected to go though. I think Boyle has that skillset that we could utilize at FB, and it allows us to use the depth at TE a little more, especially if we cut Watson.

21 minutes ago, purpletide said:

I also like Kupp, no idea where he's expected to go though. I think Boyle has that skillset that we could utilize at FB, and it allows us to use the depth at TE a little more, especially if we cut Watson.

Kupp is going in the 2nd - I'm pretty sure about that - possibly even before our 2nd pick

Just now, rossihunter2 said:

Kupp is going in the 2nd - I'm pretty sure about that - possibly even before our 2nd pick

OK then that's a no from me. I like what I've seen but I think 1-3 is prime O-line drafting and we're probably going BPA in the first

5 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

I thought for sure he would too... but he tested pretty poorly and having operated primarily out of the slot in college theres concerns he won't be able to win consistently on the outside in the NFL. 

I think Zay Jones will have leap frogged him on a lot of boards... and it's very possible some guys like Chris Godwin and Juju could go ahead of him. 

I love him though and wouldn't be disappointed if we took him in the 2nd. I think he's just a gamer and will find a way to win in the NFL. His hands and body control are insane... and while his breaks and stems aren't the most polished or sudden he just finds ways to get open. 

I like him far better than John Ross especially as a fit for us. 

If hes somehow fallen to late 2nd/3rd I'd do whatever it takes to grab him. 

Think he'd immediately upgrade our passing game and offense day 1.

8 minutes ago, purpletide said:

OK then that's a no from me. I like what I've seen but I think 1-3 is prime O-line drafting and we're probably going BPA in the first

This might be a pernickety comment but we are going BPA every round - the hope will be that an olineman is the value when we come to pick (which is possible because need is a factor in determining value on the board)

1 minute ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

I thought for sure he would too... but he tested pretty poorly and having operated primarily out of the slot in college theres concerns he won't be able to win consistently on the outside in the NFL. 

I think Zay Jones will have leap frogged him on a lot of boards... and it's very possible some guys like Chris Godwin and Juju could go ahead of him. 

I love him though and wouldn't be disappointed if we took him in the 2nd. I think he's just a gamer and will find a way to win in the NFL. His hands and body control are insane... and while his breaks and stems aren't the most polished or sudden he just finds ways to get open. 

Yeah my dislike for kupp is purely based on value - I'd love to have him but not for our 2nd round pick - it's how I feel about a lot of players in the first couple of rounds - that I'd be ok with them but am not sure that in this draft class they are worth the pick it might take to get them

btw: I already have zay jones ahead of him, juju isn't far behind kupp and Godwin and ford are a little further back but not much further

and I agree very much about his fit being much better than john ross

We are so much closer to an elite defense than offense, which is exactly why I hope we load up on defense and take two Mauler on OL and roll into the season. We have a defense that can stuff the run.

We got two experienced guys added to the secondary with Carr and Jefferson.

ILB will be like every other year, we will find one in the rough. 

We have some solid talent with Williams, Jernigan, Mosley, J. smith, Young, Weddle, Suggs, and Jefferson. If we were to add a dynamic rusher like Barnett, Tim Williams or even Charles Harris and grabbed a pair of physical corners like Kevin King or Tre White with Rasul Douglas or Desmond King, we would be knocking on the door of elite. 

2 hours ago, Purple Nurple said:

Lots of great points, Bold. So many offensive pieces we really haven't had a chance to toy around with yet.......

Thanks. 

And no, they're not the big name, shiny high priced additions most want. 

And prob not likely to become household names putting up Top 10 production. 

there's more than one way to improve. Adding one 1,000+ yd receiver is one. 

But another is to get some solid improvement at the top of your depth chart  (Perriman/Pitta) and see drastic improvement at the middle and bottom of the depth chart. 

If two of the young TEs or a guy like Camp can put up just 300-400 yds each and Dixon/Woodhead double our catches out of the backfield that's WAY more production than just adding that one high end WR.... and for literally no cost. 

We improve by having a group of pass catchers that has minimal drop off from the 3rd option down to maybe 9th/10th guy. 

And if Perriman takes that step you're adding the top end WR in addition to upgrading your secondary options. Wins all around. 

Just gotta make sure it's a balanced offense that suits the strengths of our personnel (multi TE sets) and that the OL can run block and protect Joe. 

Weapons shouldn't be an issue. Getting that mauler at C should be priority #1 now. 

9 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

If he were to be around, late 2, it would be costly I'm guessing. Trade chart says our two third rounders would be enough to move with Dallas, say or Kansas city, but it might take more to get a team to move twenty spots and lose their two.

Would you throw in a 4 ( two 3's and our 4) for Kupp and their 5, let's say?

With a long off-season still ahead, there is a lot that will happen with this offense. In regards to the draft though, just think that this draft could go completely offensive if the board stacks that way. 

We could very well land Davis or Williams and have a solid receiving core with speed demons Wallace and Perriman and a possession /50-50 ball receiver in Mike Williams or Corey Davis. We then land an anchor on the line like Pat Elflein or Dan Feeney in the second and bam, we all of a sudden are looking to have some serious potential, especially if our crowded TE core finally shines.  

4 minutes ago, Edgar said:

If he were to be around, late 2, it would be costly I'm guessing. Trade chart says our two third rounders would be enough to move with Dallas, say or Kansas city, but it might take more to get a team to move twenty spots and lose their two.

Would you throw in a 4 ( two 3's and our 4) for Kupp and their 5, let's say?

Those trade charts are nice for us to get an idea but rarely reflect what teams will actually offer/accept in draft trades. 

Granted slightly different but we moved back I believe 7-10 spots in the early 2nd last year and only netted a middle 3rd. Then went back another few spots and landed a 4th. 

I was prob exaggerating what I'd do to get Kupp. Trading back up into the late 2nd would prob be too costly as you pointed out. Def wouldn't give up that comp 3rd to do so (unless we traded back earlier in the draft and netted more picks in that range). The top 100 of this draft is just too strong to give up that pick. 

But id prob be willing to give up the 4th and a 2018 4th/5th to do it. Maybe even an '18 3rd since we'll prob end up with a comp pick there for Wagner. 

But i do love the guy. My 3rd rated WR in the draft (adjusted for fit in our team). So if we could nab him in the 3rd somehow it'd be the steal of the draft for me. 

Offensively there isn't a go to wide receiver, offensive line has holes as of now at center and RT. We don't have a stand out running back to rely on. The Ravens have just a bunch of guys offensively nobody you can really depend on to produce consistently. Its like whoever is hot gets the work load this season. and the bad thing about it is the defense is kind of concerning going into this season.

The Ravens are one strong gust of wind away from having Mike Wallace and Chris Moore as their starting WR's. If that doesn't scare some of you, I'm not sure what will. 

Edit: The opening sentence is a jab at how injury prone Camp and Perrimen are since I know I would have to clarify myself because some of you don't mesh well with Ravens criticism. 

Edited by Ravens4Real

25 minutes ago, Ravens4Real said:

The Ravens are one strong gust of wind away from having Mike Wallace and Chris Moore as their starting WR's. If that doesn't scare some of you, I'm not sure what will. 

Edit: The opening sentence is a jab at how injury prone Camp and Perrimen are since I know I would have to clarify myself because some of you don't mesh well with Ravens criticism. 

Mike Wallace would be starting on the current roster and most likely come opening day.

I get your point, though.

Edited by redrum52

I'm prepared to deal with frustrating offensive drives again, but since Marty isn't going to be running Trestman's offense next season and Perriman can get a full offseason of prep in there's a little bit of hope. Plus if a guy like Williams or Davis is the Ravens first round pick that could make a pretty big difference too.

The line is definitely worrisome sans Zuttah and Wagner, but if the FO's trust in Lewis, Urschel/Jensen and Wesley/Nembot isn't unwarranted it might be okay. 

The only real problem the Ravens have right now is they do not have a RT.  If the season started today James Hurst would probably be starting which is a disaster.  I can give the benefits of the doubt on havingan upgrade at C on the roster and also that while a possession receiver is nice the Ravens probably have good enough weapons to win but if you don't have a real RT you have no chance of winning.

8 hours ago, kassaiscool said:

Offensively there isn't a go to wide receiver, offensive line has holes as of now at center and RT. We don't have a stand out running back to rely on. The Ravens have just a bunch of guys offensively nobody you can really depend on to produce consistently. Its like whoever is hot gets the work load this season. and the bad thing about it is the defense is kind of concerning going into this season.

And you wouldve been the same guy saying "why are we letting Santonio Holmes go, Mike wallace, then emmanuel sanders go.... now we have a hole and just an unproven late round pick" who then turns into Antonio Brown when given the chance to be the Go To guy.

Center and RT are legitimate to be worried about. But they have a plan there -- plenty of time to let that shake out.

But when youve made a bunch of high draft investments in players.... at some point you gotta take the training wheels off and let them go be the weapon they can be. It's like this fan base wouldnt know what to do with a young Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, etc... we'd be begging to sign big money, "proven" guys a head of them to take their snaps and opportunity. Then when they break out year 4 we lose em.

Time to find out what Perriman, Maxx Williams, Camp, Moore, Reynolds, Gillmore, Boyle, Waller, and Dixon can do.

And if suddenly youve got really good players in Perriman, one of the TEs and Dixon -- well now, theres a trio of young, explosive weapons that the offense is built around.

It's what we've been begging for in this town, but everyones scared to find out if we actually have it. 

I think Lewis was drafted to take over RT. Every single draft expert said that's where he's best. This OL class is pretty weak, but maybe using a 2nd to get the best C coming out? Dunno. They have a plan, and it seems like it's pound the football and have a dominant D and therefore control the clock. 

1 hour ago, terrynjulia03 said:

I think Lewis was drafted to take over RT. Every single draft expert said that's where he's best. This OL class is pretty weak, but maybe using a 2nd to get the best C coming out? Dunno. They have a plan, and it seems like it's pound the football and have a dominant D and therefore control the clock. 

The thing is though the Ravens have repeatedly said over and over and there actions support this that they do not want Lewis on the right side so he is not the person they are going to put at RT.  They keep saying that Lewis does not look as good on the right and that they see a massive upside for him as guard both pointing against them moving him to RT which basically leaves the problem that there is not a real RT on the team and there is virtually no depth at OL at the moment.

10 hours ago, Ravens4Real said:

Pretty much every team in the NFL is 2 injuries away from having a poor WR group. 

If Dez Bryan and Williams go down the cowboys are starting Cole Beasley and who? If Antonio brown and Sammie Coates go down who are the Steelers WRs? Eagles just made the most FA splash at WR and still if Alshon and Matthews go down they're starting Torrey Smith and Nelson Aghalor. Gimme Wallace and Moore.

And it's very fair to say Camps injury prone.... but not Perriman. He had two freak injuries not nagging muscle stuff like Camp that doesn't go away. 

And FA isn't over plus the draft. 

I know we have all these games coming up in April that everyone is so anxious what our roster will look like for them.....

oh wait?? We don't play for almost 6 months?

6 hours ago, Adreme said:

The only real problem the Ravens have right now is they do not have a RT.  If the season started today James Hurst would probably be starting which is a disaster.  I can give the benefits of the doubt on havingan upgrade at C on the roster and also that while a possession receiver is nice the Ravens probably have good enough weapons to win but if you don't have a real RT you have no chance of winning.

I'm far less worried about RT than C. 

Easiest way to blow up the run game and passing is pressure/penetration through the middle. 

You can scheme TE help or keep backs in to help off the edge, and a QB can step up to avoid it or throw hot if pressure does come. 

If its coming right down the middle it's nearly impossible to escape and your RBs have to break a tackle just to get back to the line of scrimmage. 

And im more confident in having an in house replacement at RT with Wesley, Nembot or worst case Hurst. If the rest of the OL is solid I think we're fine (and there's always a draft pick). We've had lots of success at grooming young guys or just plugging someone in at RT and doing well.

Center on the other hand.... not so much.

Jensen has the right play style and size they want at C but they abandoned that pretty quick when he was last tried there and moved him to G. Lewis and Ducasse both beat out Urschel and Jensen. 

Skura is the darkhorse. The team really liked him on the PS last year and Gave him a raise to the level of active roster pay just to keep him from leaving. If they like him enough to start him then I'm optimistic until proven otherwise. 

But i think the key to fixing the offense is first fixing the run game. Quickest way to do that is have a mauling interior OL. All about the interior to me. 

So whether it's bringing in Mangold, drafting a top C prospect, or pushing Skura up if he's ready -- that's the one position that I think is the biggest key to our teams success at this point. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Easiest way to blow up the run game and passing is pressure/penetration through the middle. 

You can scheme TE help or keep backs in to help off the edge, and a QB can step up to avoid it or throw hot if pressure does come. 

If its coming right down the middle it's nearly impossible to escape and your RBs have to break a tackle just to get back to the line of scrimmage. 

And im more confident in having an in house replacement at RT with Wesley, Nembot or worst case Hurst. If the rest of the OL is solid I think we're fine (and there's always a draft pick).

Jensen has the right play style and size they want at C but they abandoned that pretty quick when he was last tried there and moved him to G. Lewis and Ducasse both beat out Urschel and Jensen. 

Skura is the darkhorse. The team really liked him on the PS last year and Gave him a raise to the level of active roster pay just to keep him from leaving. If they like him enough to start him then I'm optimistic until proven otherwise. 

But i think the key to fixing the offense is first fixing the run game. Quickest way to do that is have a mauling interior OL. All about the interior to me. 

So whether it's bringing in Mangold, drafting a top C prospect, or pushing Skura up if he's ready -- that's the one position that I think is the biggest key to our teams success at this point. 

Was Skura a rookie last year?

And im more confident in having an in house replacement at RT with Wesley, Nembot or worst case Hurst. If the rest of the OL is solid I think we're fine (and there's always a draft pick).

What C do you suggest we take in the draft? I haven't really looked into any.

19 minutes ago, purpletide said:

What C do you suggest we take in the draft? I haven't really looked into any.

Idk. I like Elflein the best of the guys who actually played C in college. A little under sized but he plays with a lot of power and generates push in the run game. Some scouts thought he was the most impressive OL at Ohio State in 2015 and that's when Taylor Decker was playing Tackle there... and he's been great so far in the NFL.

Pocic is also pretty highly rated. More of a technician though and is like 6'6" so I worry a little about his ability to maintain leverage and pad level against some of the shorter, monstrous tackles we play. 

Both of them are likely mid 2nd to 3rd round prospects.

Jon Toth I like a lot too. A little more underrated than the other two but could be a great value later on. Decent size and length and is a very good run blocker.

JJ Dielman out of Utah could be a good late pick or even UDFA. Started at tackle but had to move to C last year bc of injuries. Ended up out rest of the year so he'll prob be picked much later than what his potential might indicate... but he's a pretty big dude and solid run blocker. Struggled in pass pro while at T especially with speed rushers... but moving into C should help with that issue of blocking in space.

Then theres some G prospects who could project at C like Lamp or Feeney. But both of them are likely to be late 1st to early 2nd. Not good value at 16 and will prob be gone by time we're on the clock in rd 2. 

If Elflein somehow dropped to our first pick in the 3rd I'd be all over that. I think he could step in day 1 and be an upgrade. 

Second to that prob Toth if he's there in the 4th or 5th. 

And if we trade back in the 1st maybe Lamp or Feeney could be options lates 20's or if we netted extra picks to move up in the 2nd. 

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK

12 minutes ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

Idk. I like Elflein the best of the guys who actually played C in college. A little under sized but he plays with a lot of power and generates push in the run game. Some scouts thought he was the most impressive OL at Ohio State in 2015 and that's when Taylor Decker was playing Tackle there... and he's been great so far in the NFL.

Pocic is also pretty highly rated. More of a technician though and is like 6'6" so I worry a little about his ability to maintain leverage and pad level against some of the shorter, monstrous tackles we play. 

Both of them are likely mid 2nd to 3rd round prospects.

Jon Toth I like a lot too. A little more underrated than the other two but could be a great value later on. Decent size and length and is a very good run blocker.

JJ Dielman out of Utah could be a good late pick or even UDFA. Started at tackle but had to move to C last year bc of injuries. Ended up out rest of the year so he'll prob be picked much later than what his potential might indicate... but he's a pretty big dude and solid run blocker. Struggled in pass pro while at T especially with speed rushers... but moving into C should help with that issue of blocking in space.

Then theres some G prospects who could project at C like Lamp or Feeney. But both of them are likely to be late 1st to early 2nd. Not good value at 16 and will prob be gone by time we're on the clock in rd 2. 

If Elflein somehow dropped to our first pick in the 3rd I'd be all over that. I think he could step in day 1 and be an upgrade. 

Second to that prob Toth if he's there in the 4th or 5th. 

And if we trade back in the 1st maybe Lamp or Feeney could be options lates 20's or if we netted extra picks to move up in the 2nd. 

OK. The only guys I'd actually heard a little about were Robinson and Lamp.

Well I just read somewhere that the Dennis Pitta restructure is somewhat similar to last year's pay cut where he has the ability to earn back all the money. Now, I'm praying the front office has qualified that with some measure of yards achieved per reception caviat. Otherwise we are going to see a repeat of dink and dunk passes on 3rd and long situations to Pitta for less than a first down completion.

Having that fact off my chest, I do believe if we create a really balanced offense with Roman's help, we have a chance to be competitive with who we have on offense. We need a WR either through the draft or free agency (late cuts/releases), we need to draft starters on the Oline and maybe a really good RB that'll complement Dixon and Woodhead. We have a chance but only if Flacco is willing to peel his eyes off Pitta and sees everybody on the field and uses good judgment when forced to pass the ball. I want him to learn to throw the ball away rather than throw it to opponents or take stupid sacks in the red zone.... I still have hope for 2017, but the Pitta restructure doesn't inspire confidence.

7 hours ago, BOLDnPurPnBlacK said:

And you wouldve been the same guy saying "why are we letting Santonio Holmes go, Mike wallace, then emmanuel sanders go.... now we have a hole and just an unproven late round pick" who then turns into Antonio Brown when given the chance to be the Go To guy.

Center and RT are legitimate to be worried about. But they have a plan there -- plenty of time to let that shake out.

But when youve made a bunch of high draft investments in players.... at some point you gotta take the training wheels off and let them go be the weapon they can be. It's like this fan base wouldnt know what to do with a young Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Dez Bryant, etc... we'd be begging to sign big money, "proven" guys a head of them to take their snaps and opportunity. Then when they break out year 4 we lose em.

Time to find out what Perriman, Maxx Williams, Camp, Moore, Reynolds, Gillmore, Boyle, Waller, and Dixon can do.

And if suddenly youve got really good players in Perriman, one of the TEs and Dixon -- well now, theres a trio of young, explosive weapons that the offense is built around.

It's what we've been begging for in this town, but everyones scared to find out if we actually have it. 

You can't compare the Ravens to the Steelers when it comes to drafting productive receivers. The steelers actually have pedigree in that department. They continue to draft late and early round receivers and develop them. Give me one late rd receiver the Ravens have drafted that has been really productive, matter of fact just give me some good receivers the Ravens have drafted in this franchises entire history. You can't depend on unproven or injury prone receivers like Camp and Qb turned WR in reynolds. Gillmore and Boyle are blocking TE's they don't have the explosiveness or route running ability to become a real threat to defenses. Again this has plagued the Ravens for years in not being able to stabilize the receiving core and always depending on aging free agents such as Steve smith, Anquan, and Derrick Mason. All who have played with Flacco before retiring. Flacco never had a receiver he could grow with because of this reason. Please don't give me the "give these guys a chance" when the Wr core is filled with 5th rd and undrafted picks.

Edited by kassaiscool

On 3/18/2017 at 0:31 AM, kassaiscool said:

You can't compare the Ravens to the Steelers when it comes to drafting productive receivers. The steelers actually have pedigree in that department. They continue to draft late and early round receivers and develop them. Give me one late rd receiver the Ravens have drafted that has been really productive, matter of fact just give me some good receivers the Ravens have drafted in this franchises entire history. You can't depend on unproven or injury prone receivers like Camp and Qb turned WR in reynolds. Gillmore and Boyle are blocking TE's they don't have the explosiveness or route running ability to become a real threat to defenses. Again this has plagued the Ravens for years in not being able to stabilize the receiving core and always depending on aging free agents such as Steve smith, Anquan, and Derrick Mason. All who have played with Flacco before retiring. Flacco never had a receiver he could grow with because of this reason. Please don't give me the "give these guys a chance" when the Wr core is filled with 5th rd and undrafted picks.

Perriman is a 1st rd pick who's played one season with no TC yet. 

Thats who I'm saying to give a chance. 

If he can play like a #1 and Wallace can do similar to what he did last year our WR corps will be fine. 

Gillmore is hardly a "blocking TE"... he's adequate there compared to someone like Pitta but has shown more upside in the passing game. And Boyle is a good blocker but there's a lot to like about him in the passing game too. 

All im saying is if Perriman can play like a starting WR, and there's good reason to think he can given the opportunity...

then all you need is for 2 of Camp, Moore, Reynolds, Waller, Maxx, Boyle, Gillmore or Watson plus any late FA addition or draft picks to step up and be decent (300-400 yds, and 3rd down/red zone option) for the passing game to be fine. 

Thats not a given. And not saying it is. But it's not exactly high expectations or unrealistic. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, kjbmore said:

Is anybody else worried about our offense heading into next season??

we haven't added any significant pieces so far, we have lost some guys who were positive contributors last season.

im not seeing any reason to be overly optimistic 

ya lose s.smith who was joes trustd ball catcher, ya let wagner walk and cut zuttah. pitta lookd about as quic as a fast Maryland box turtle. yanda is anotha yr oldr an will be as old as mangold when the season starts. one of our runnin backs is probated, the other is small and injured.  we still doan got kubeack bac. how can you not be worryied?

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, K-Dog said:

Thank god the boards are closing.