acosta2277

Inside Linebacker

29 posts in this topic

I don't see many people freaking out like I am about our depth at the inside linebacker position. We have an obvious star in CJ but other than that who do we have? Are we actually confident in guys like Levine to play linebacker or guys like Correa to go from not seeing the field to starter? After Orr retired I started to panic, and since then, it seems like everybody has forgotten about the fact that we need someone to play next to CJ.

The point of this post is to get your opinion about player that can fill our NEED at ILB?

Free Agents: I like

Zach Brown, Buffalo

Kevin Minter, Arizona

Dont'a Hightower, New England

Draft:

Reuben Foster, Alabama

Jarrad Davis, Florida

Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt

Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

Also, do you guys see Jabrill Peppers as a possibly inside linebacker? The NFL has been transitioning to smaller coverage linebackers, especially teams who play a 3-4 defense. Look at all the success that Deone Bucannon has had in Arizona, and players like Mark Barron moving to ILB for the Rams. What do you guys think?

Edited by acosta2277
typo

I think the reason were not freaking out is because we always tend to find an undrafted guy or a guy nobody knows about and they end up playing at a very high level for us. 

11 minutes ago, acosta2277 said:

I don't see many people freaking out like I am about our depth at the inside linebacker position. We have an obvious star in CJ but other than that who do we have? Are we actually confident in guys like Levine to play linebacker or guys like Correa to go from not seeing the field to starter? After Orr retired I started to panic, and since then, it seems like everybody has forgotten about the fact that we need someone to play next to CJ.

The point of this post is to get your opinion about player that can fill our NEED at ILB?

Zach Brown, Buffalo

Kevin Minter, Arizona

Draft:

Reuben Foster, Alabama

Jarrad Davis, Florida

Also, do you guys see Jabrill Peppers as a possibly inside linebacker? The NFL has been transitioning to smaller coverage linebackers, especially teams who play a 3-4 defense. Look at all the success that Deone Bucannon has had in Arizona, and players like Mark Barron moving to ILB for the Rams. What do you guys think?

Peppers has stated at the Combine that he is a safety and he intends to play safety at the next level. He only played LB because he wanted to help his team out.

I don't see why some people are so pressed to draft a inside LB even with our track record to discover guys in the UDFA market. 

I have that gut feeling Reubon Foster falls to the Ravens after the combine. I feel like with the talent in this draft I think teams will surprise people and there will be a huge run on cornerbacks and quarterbacks before the Ravens. Plus if you really have to question a person's character you will likely trust a person you don't have to question rather than him.

Corners are more valuable in the NFL today as well, I think the Ravens score big. Gut feeling.

21 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I think the reason were not freaking out is because we always tend to find an undrafted guy or a guy nobody knows about and they end up playing at a very high level for us. 

This is pretty much the case.  We've never struggled to find a competent ILB either already on the roster or later in FA.  We could certainly use one but it's not a position I'm worried about.

26 minutes ago, acosta2277 said:

Zach Brown, Buffalo

Kevin Minter, Arizona

Draft:

Reuben Foster, Alabama

Jarrad Davis, Florida

If Foster falls then absolutely I'd love him on the team. I just don't think it's such a desperate need that we need to spend an early pick on it, especially considering the holes that really need filling. We'll get a guy late/as an UDFA if we don't feel like Correa can perform, but he's still young.

3 minutes ago, trevorsteadman said:

I have that gut feeling Reubon Foster falls to the Ravens after the combine. I feel like with the talent in this draft I think teams will surprise people and there will be a huge run on cornerbacks and quarterbacks before the Ravens. Plus if you really have to question a person's character you will likely trust a person you don't have to question rather than him.

Corners are more valuable in the NFL today as well, I think the Ravens score big. Gut feeling.

Oh man I hope he drops. Great safety and LB tandem at that point, as well as probably getting a good CB given the draft depth and Claiborne in FA.

5 minutes ago, rmw10 said:

This is pretty much the case.  We've never struggled to find a competent ILB either already on the roster or later in FA.  We could certainly use one but it's not a position I'm worried about.

Ya me neither. That's why I don't really want foster either. We can find that kind of player off the streets of Bmore.

Just now, purpletide said:

Oh man I hope he drops. Great safety and LB tandem at that point, as well as probably getting a good CB given the draft depth and Claiborne in FA.

Id honestly prefer Haason Riddick over foster. He brings more to the table and can cover better than foster. He's better suited for today's NFL, I think foster could be a bit hyped up because he came from Bama and all those big hits he makes. 

23 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Id honestly prefer Haason Riddick over foster. He brings more to the table and can cover better than foster. He's better suited for today's NFL, I think foster could be a bit hyped up because he came from Bama and all those big hits he makes. 

I haven't seen much of Reddick/Riddick so I can't say anything in that regard, but I think Foster will make teams hesitate to come his way.

1 hour ago, ravensnation5220 said:

I would as well.

I really like Elijah Lee out of Kansas State. He's a cover linebacker, and can be all over the field.

No championship team is ever a complete team, they all have weaknesses. If ILB was ours it wouldn't be the end of the world. We already resigned Williams and landed Jefferson who are both run stopping machines. 

Our greatest weakness has been CB since 13' and I hope we take one inside the first two rounds. We have the chance to take Humphrey, Conley, White, Jones, Wilson, Tabor, Moreau, King, etc. 

Even though I prefer CB though, if Foster is there, it is a no brainer. Only Lattimore possesses more value now. Despite the value difference In the positions, having an elite safety duo with an elite lb duo would make out defense scary. Look at the success that Mosley had with Orr and think what it would be like to have a player next to him that was even better. Look at the success of teams with great LB duos like Kuechly and Thomas Davis or Bowman and Willis a few years back. Heck even look at Trevathan and Marshall when the Broncos won the SB. If we land Foster say hello to Exotic blitz central and tremendous middle of the field coverage. Foster was the captain in the middle and can do it all. He is fast, physical, can lay the hammer, can diagnose plays, and he can cover well too. If he is there I am going to scream on draft day.

I really want us to find a way and draft Haason Riddick. The kid is meant to be a raven. Tough, smart and is the definition of high motor. The kid just doesn't stop. His versatility separates him from other linebackers in my eyes. No off feild concerns either. 

I'm still not sleeping on Correa inside on 1st/2nd Down and Levine playing nickel linebacker on passing downs. I believe that may have been the plan for that last year if Orr hadn't broken out. Between Correa/Levine and Onwuasor, I feel pretty confident with the bodies at that position (granted I never bothered to reexamine the Week 17 Bengals game to see how Onwuasor really did). 

1 hour ago, jboy19 said:

I'm still not sleeping on Correa inside on 1st/2nd Down and Levine playing nickel linebacker on passing downs. I believe that may have been the plan for that last year if Orr hadn't broken out. Between Correa/Levine and Onwuasor, I feel pretty confident with the bodies at that position (granted I never bothered to reexamine the Week 17 Bengals game to see how Onwuasor really did). 

I agree, but I'd still gladly take Foster if he slides. I also believe people are counting Judon out too quickly on the edge. I know we're looking for the edge to replace Suggs, but I really think Judon will step up just fine in Doom's place.

On 3/15/2017 at 3:04 AM, Darhk_Raven said:

According to Walter Football we had a private meeting with Raekwon McMillan.

They've also met with Zach Cunningham....... Two early round guys.

This suggests to me that they are not comfortable with Correa at ILB.

8 minutes ago, Edgar said:

to be honest none of these meetings ever really mean anything because we interview virtually everyone we have anywhere near the top of the board - i dont think it says anything in particular... we will probably also meet with all of the major running backs, wide receivers, edge rushers etc.

i agree that i dont think they are 100% comfortable with correa at ILB because he hasnt played there yet properly so of course they might be nervous but i dont think that means that they are going to chase high round inside linebackers to fill a hole - this is all about due process rather than anything more telling

13 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Well we did draft correa to be an Olb so it's no surprise

5 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

to be honest none of these meetings ever really mean anything because we interview virtually everyone we have anywhere near the top of the board - i dont think it says anything in particular... we will probably also meet with all of the major running backs, wide receivers, edge rushers etc.

i agree that i dont think they are 100% comfortable with correa at ILB because he hasnt played there yet properly so of course they might be nervous but i dont think that means that they are going to chase high round inside linebackers to fill a hole - this is all about due process rather than anything more telling

It isn't definitive by any measure but it means something.

According to Walter they've met with 9 players...Two are projected high round ILB.

IT DOESN'T mean they'll mean target them as such. Clearly, it doesn't mean they're chasing after them.

It means to me they value a chase linebacker next to CJ in this defense and even though some want that to be Correa.....I doubt it will be.

Just now, Edgar said:

It isn't definitive by any measure but it means something.

According to Walter they've met with 9 players...Two are projected high round ILB.

IT DOESN'T mean they'll mean target them as such. Clearly, it doesn't mean they're chasing after them.

It means to me they value a chase linebacker next to CJ in this defense and even though some want that to be Correa.....I doubt it will be.

it just means that they met a few linebackers in a group much like the eagles saw a load of wrs and rbs on the same day yesterday and today - it doesnt mean nothing you're right but it doesnt indicate that we are positionally unsound (we may well be - but this isnt an indicator of that) - they will probably interview a load of the top defensive tackles as well but i imagine we arent chasing that position

27 minutes ago, rossihunter2 said:

it just means that they met a few linebackers in a group much like the eagles saw a load of wrs and rbs on the same day yesterday and today - it doesnt mean nothing you're right but it doesnt indicate that we are positionally unsound (we may well be - but this isnt an indicator of that) - they will probably interview a load of the top defensive tackles as well but i imagine we arent chasing that position

We may have a clearer indication as to how settled or unsettled they are in a month or so.

If we meet with a player it's always an indication of interest. Either it is genuine interest or a feigned interest for effect but it always matters.

53 minutes ago, ravensnation5220 said:

Well we did draft correa to be an Olb so it's no surprise

I'm not ready to give up on him outside. I think he can be an effective situational pass rusher.

I'm hoping he comes back stronger and with hands. 

He's always had a burst .

3 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I'm not ready to give up on him outside. I think he can be an effective situational pass rusher.

I'm hoping he comes back stronger and with hands. 

He's always had a burst .

Ya I still like him. I just think it was a bit tough of a transition from the level of competition he faced at Boise compared to the NFL. I also think we threw too much at him at once. 

Any of you ever watched this guy's highlights? He will be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. What you guys think about him? Jalen Reeves Maybin of tennessee

51 minutes ago, Peumoraes7 said:

Any of you ever watched this guy's highlights? He will be a steal in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft. What you guys think about him? Jalen Reeves Maybin of tennessee

No earlier than the 4th round however. He can't shed tackles. He's way too light and injuries have been a problem for him

1 hour ago, Peumoraes7 said:

i wouldnt draft him at all to be honest - he doesnt stand out in any particular area which makes him the kind of guy who will always be 'just ok' which wont transition well to the nfl

I wonder if the front office is comfortable with KC or even Patrick Onwuassor taking over Orr spot, since they didn't go after any FA ilbs. A WR, LBs and oline have to be our biggest draft needs atm