BR News

[News] Just Another Reminder: Keep Calm And #InOzzieWeTrust

20 posts in this topic

The Ravens kept their free-agency plans close to the vest, but delivered with a flurry of action soon after the market opened. And, yes, we heard from you fans along the way. Here are some of the best reactions from before and after the big signings.

View the full article

I don't know why but I think we put too many eggs in the B. Williams basket and it is going to hamstring us quite a bit. Didn't we learn anything from the Flacco contract? Don't get me wrong because I did want the Ravens to retain Williams but at a reasonable contract, not giving a nose tackle a pass rusher kind of contract and not giving Tony Jefferson - a safety a top CB type contract. But, here we are and all we can do is hope they outperform their contracts unlike others that have received mega deals.

I don't know why but I think we put too many eggs in the B. Williams basket and it is going to hamstring us quite a bit. Didn't we learn anything from the Flacco contract? Don't get me wrong because I did want the Ravens to retain Williams but at a reasonable contract, not giving a nose tackle a pass rusher kind of contract and not giving Tony Jefferson - a safety a top CB type contract. But, here we are and all we can do is hope they outperform their contracts unlike others that have received mega deals.

We learned that we had to sign Flacco after the Super Bowl.

In a 3-4 th NT is the key, he caves in the interior line so the pass rushers can get to the QB. He was paid what the market called for, and we all know today's contracts are really about the guaranteed money, and i imagine like all the others it will be restructured a few times over the next few years...Jefferson IMO is the sleeper signing for us, he was the highest rated SS out there, but h is smart, understands the game, and has the ability to play the box, and cover, and only 25.....My big time hope is we sign a proven ILBer to replace Orr, a high motor will LBer who can play sideline to sideline, physical, and can be decent in coverage, losing Orr was a punch in the gut...

2 hours ago, ellicottraven said:

I get your concern but I think theyr a bit over blown. Bwill is on a 10.5 mil a year deal. That's fair when you compare it to Suh who makes 20 and that contract was signed 2 years ago. Jefferson is making 8.5 mil a year and turned down 1.5 mil more from other teams (top CB money is double that). Theyr good deals, especially when you consider that we can easily get out of them in 2-3 years the way theyr structured. Also, we have about 40 mil to spend next year before we make moves to free up more cap. Relax, the salary cap pickle is over.

In a 3-4 th NT is the key, he caves in the interior line so the pass rushers can get to the QB. He was paid what the market called for, and we all know today's contracts are really about the guaranteed money, and i imagine like all the others it will be restructured a few times over the next few years...Jefferson IMO is the sleeper signing for us, he was the highest rated SS out there, but h is smart, understands the game, and has the ability to play the box, and cover, and only 25.....My big time hope is we sign a proven ILBer to replace Orr, a high motor will LBer who can play sideline to sideline, physical, and can be decent in coverage, losing Orr was a punch in the gut...

Peanut is all that you want in a ILB - hits really hard, sure tackler and is a converted safety, so he can cover - don't sleep on him.

22 minutes ago, stixfix69 said:

That was a huge blow indeed. Just when I though we were set at ILB for years, poor Orr goes down. Il throw you a curve ball....

Theres this kid from Alabama called Ruben Foster that was considered the best linebacker in the nation pre combine. none of the mocks had him falling past 15. Then this kid got into an argument at a hospital and sent home before the combine. Soooo..... Ozzie has enough connections at Alabama to know if this was a one time thing or if this guy is a nut. Well he's certainly a headless chicken on the field and would solve or ILB search for years if we land him. If Ozzie thinks he's worth keeping on our board then I would not be surprised at all if Ozzie takes him. Just his play on the field makes him a top 5 talent. Remember how Mosley just came in and balled. I'd argue this guy may be even better than Mosley was coming out of college.

36 minutes ago, stixfix69 said:

That was a huge blow indeed. Just when I though we were set at ILB for years, poor Orr goes down. Il throw you a curve ball....

Theres this kid from Alabama called Ruben Foster that was considered the best linebacker in the nation pre combine. none of the mocks had him falling past 15. Then this kid got into an argument at a hospital and sent home before the combine. Soooo..... Ozzie has enough connections at Alabama to know if this was a one time thing or if this guy is a nut. Well he's certainly a headless chicken on the field and would solve or ILB search for years if we land him. If Ozzie thinks he's worth keeping on our board then I would not be surprised at all if Ozzie takes him. Just his play on the field makes him a top 5 talent. Remember how Mosley just came in and balled. I'd argue this guy may be even better than Mosley was coming out of college.

Ruben Foster is a great pick but l believe it more important in the draft is either a Passrusher like Derek Barnett or a corner. We actually can find the perfect replacement for Orr right now with "Zach Brown" still available. I'm surprise he still on the market. The guy is underrated and made the Pro Bowl last year. The guy is a tackling machine made 149 tackles, 4 sacks, a 1 pick and he's good in coverage. He will make our defense more scarier.

I am more interested in what is to come. Is Mangold going to come here to replace Zuttah? What's the status of Morris Claiborne, who La Canfora said would end up signing here. Claiborne would be a huge signing. I don't remember where but I read somewhere that with Weddle and Jackson, J Smith, M Claiborne at corner and Tavon Young in the slot was comparable to the legion of boom in its prime. Pretty lofty comparison but if true, add that to our killer front seven and we have a D that can compete for a comparison to 2000. Only hole, if we get Claiborne, would be ILB, though pass rusher would be nice but we have some young kids, who if they make an advancement, could fill that role. Judon was a beast, we haven't seen Kaufusi, Correa will do better focusing on just the outside, Z Smith is overdue, plus Urban and a few others. Rumors are we could resign Webb who at the right price is worth the hands in the punt game just to secure the ball. Also a backup safety and slot corner help if needed. If Oz has an Oz-like draft, Ravens fans will be drinking the purple kook-aid.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM, ellicottraven said:

We learned that we had to sign Flacco after the Super Bowl.

I do recall Ozzie put off Joe's contract till after the playoffs.

7 hours ago, Halshayeji said:
  7 hours ago, stixfix69 said:

Ruben Foster is a great pick but l believe it more important in the draft is either a Passrusher like Derek Barnett or a corner. We actually can find the perfect replacement for Orr right now with "Zach Brown" still available. I'm surprise he still on the market. The guy is underrated and made the Pro Bowl last year. The guy is a tackling machine made 149 tackles, 4 sacks, a 1 pick and he's good in coverage. He will make our defense more scarier.

Wow. 100% agree with everything you just said. I'm thinking Barnett then a corner in the 2nd, or vise versa so to speak.
But I'm losing it thinking how perfect Zach Brown is to fill a huge hole for us! As lights out as Orr was last year, I sincerely believe Brown would be an upgrade vs the run and pass. If we added Barnett, Brown, and a corner in the second, I have a hard time thinking we wouldn't be the number 1 D the whole year, by a decent gap too. That would include setting NFL run defense records. Adding Brown and Jefferson over Webb and Orr vs the run would be large upgrades. Our defense would be a wall. Weddle would literally be the worst tackler in the starting lineup, which says something. We've gotta sign Brown!!!!

7 hours ago, hen826957 said:

Great post. That really got me thinking....

zach brown is still out there?! What wrong with the bills lol.

id actually like that approach very much. When the NFL disrespects MLBs Ozzie finds value. Not sure about Barnett after he ran a 4.88 40 but still wouldn't mind taking the best CB. 

27 minutes ago, sizzlingdoom said:

Wow. 100% agree with everything you just said. I'm thinking Barnett then a corner in the 2nd, or vise versa so to speak.
But I'm losing it thinking how perfect Zach Brown is to fill a huge hole for us! As lights out as Orr was last year, I sincerely believe Brown would be an upgrade vs the run and pass. If we added Barnett, Brown, and a corner in the second, I have a hard time thinking we wouldn't be the number 1 D the whole year, by a decent gap too. That would include setting NFL run defense records. Adding Brown and Jefferson over Webb and Orr vs the run would be large upgrades. Our defense would be a wall. Weddle would literally be the worst tackler in the starting lineup, which says something. We've gotta sign Brown!!!!

Indeed that would be a nasty D! 

Ozzie will nab Claiborne or Carr, and may take a flier at Mangold. Beyond that, he would likely have to cut some more payroll (perhaps Watson and Zuttah) to do much else, I think.

That would have us entering the draft with our biggest needs (in some kind of order) as follows: WR, OLB, CB, ILB, OG/RT

At #16 I like Davis, Williams, Bennett, or McKinley (CBs after Lattimore are kinda bunched up, esp. with Jones' injury).

In the second round, I think we'll have a shot at CBs Tankersley or Witherspoon, WR Smith-Schuster, Kupp, Godwin, or Say Jones, OLBs Watt or Anderson, or OL Elflein, Dawkins, or Feeney (though I think we could wait to the third round on OL).

I put my trust in Art, Ozzie and Co. in 1995 and I haven't looked back! Try wearing a Ravens jersey in Cleveland in 96 #29 E. Turner and when the Ravens came to Cleveland in 99 in a very hostile environment! But that's how I rock and I was knuckled up! To hear people question him now I had to chill out since they put a label on me but at the end of the day people need to chill out and let Ozzie and Co. do what they do best and that's find talent! "ESPECIALLY" undrafted and players not in the cross hairs of other teams but players that will fit on this squad! Get this guy get that guy is all I hear and all you gotta do is "TRUST"!

11 hours ago, Crusader said:

I recall Joe put off  his contract until after playoffs

Edited by Swift 1

"Keep calm", that's funny. In order to "keep" calm, one has to be calm to begin with. AND- how many Raven fans (the un-delusional, Raven fans) are actually calm ?

13 hours ago, Crusader said:

I recall Joe put off  his contract until after playoffs

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-kurt-warner-said-joe-flacco-has-earned-100-million-contract-20130122-story.html Who got played on that decision?

Just Sayin - Revis is in the clear. (Judge in Darrelle Revis hearing dismisses all charges.) Should we consider adding him ?