BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Ravens Make Loud Statement With Biggest Free Agent Purchase

30 posts in this topic

I don't really consider Brandon Williams a "FA purchase", because he's never played anywhere else.

That's the equivalent of saying that Joe Flacco was a big FA purchase.

If we had gone and signed Von Miller to a $20M a year deal, that would be a big FA purchase.

22 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

I don't really consider Brandon Williams a "FA purchase", because he's never played anywhere else.

If we had gone and signed Von Miller to a $20M a year deal, that would be a big FA purchase.

They don't have to have played anywhere else to be a FA. Contract up= FA. Either resign or they leave. Their choice=Free.

45 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

At what point was flacco available in free agency?

They overpaid for a run stopper, who puts little pressure on the qb. Our lack of a pass rush in the 4 th quarter especially , is what costs us over the last few years. He may not even be on the field in those situations. He's a solid player, I like him, I don't think his overall contribution merits the highest pay for a nose tackle in the league.

11 minutes ago, jboy said:

They overpaid for a run stopper, who puts little pressure on the qb. Our lack of a pass rush in the 4 th quarter especially , is what costs us over the last few years. He may not even be on the field in those situations. He's a solid player, I like him, I don't think his overall contribution merits the highest pay for a nose tackle in the league.

Having him go creates another whole and another question. He is a consistent player who hasn't missed a game that I recall. He can almost single handedly stop the run. As much as I hated the contract initially, I think back to all those games when Haloti Ngata was out when he was still a Raven, and how teams would run all over the team. When you play in a division with LeVeon Bell and the Cincy duo running backs it is essential you have an answer for it. The team's run defense gave the offene a chance to come back and win games.

Big guy better stay healthy. Was there any type of performance or injury clause in the deal?

We're strong up the middle, great. No pass rush, no corners. If we run into the '86 Giants we'll be in great shape.

dean pees cost us in the 4th qtr by going into prevent defense when we have leads. wish we had gotten gus bradley or someone that is aggressive and shows no mercy like marvin lewis in 2000.

1 hour ago, jboy said:

dean pees cost us in the 4th qtr by going into prevent defense when we have leads. wish we had gotten gus bradley or someone that is aggressive and shows no mercy like marvin lewis in 2000.

I agree. Dean Pees play calling has to set players for sucess because these additions won't mean nothing if his playcalling is setting up for failure.

IMO here are the benefits of having B Williams.

1. Ravens keep a strength. There is no guarantee Pierce or any other wide body the Ravens have there can do the job B. Williams has. Run defense will be top 5.
As bad as the Ravens have been over the last couple of years, they play in close games because of the dominance of the front 7. When you control the line of scrimmage, the other teams struggle.

2. If you don't have top corners, the best way to stop the pass is to make the team one dimensional and keep in 3rd and long.

3. Mosley, McClellan, Smith, Orr all looked like tackling machines cause Williams eat up blockers.

4. The best defenses historically are strong down the middle. Williams, Mosley, and Jefferson give them that for the next few years.

I agree the Ravens need to add CB , Wr, pass rusher, and o-line. Those positions are in the draft, FA, and there will be cuts. The roster is not complete, but its a good start.

Pees play calling is weak, but considering the corners and lack of pass rush he has to work with , what do you expect? If he press Wr, they get beat deep. If they play off, they are too slow to come up and make the tackle. If he blitzes, the other teams make big plays.

4 hours ago, The Greek said:
5 hours ago, jboy said:

So what defense would you call if the other team's offense lines up 4-5 WR and you know they're going deep? You going to cover them all 1-on-1 and have Weddle try to cover a slot WR by himself?

Cover 6 is a typical 3rd & long defense - it's not prevent - which is what the Ravens typically ran in the 4th quarter. Pees blitzed 4 times in a row against the Squealers on that final drive - it didn't matter - why? cause the players didn't make plays. No pass rush, blitzer didnt pressure the QB, not good coverage by the corners. I don't care what defense you call, Wright couldn't cover Antonio Brown for a half second.

The Browns call the same pass plays as the Patriots - so what's the difference? Brady vs Scrub QB is the difference.

Edited by TheConquerorWorm
grammar

It's good we are upgrading the defense. Not sure what will be done to improve our wide receivers. They are in the bottom five of the league and probably not going to improve

6 minutes ago, ravensforlife said:

It's good we are upgrading the defense. Not sure what will be done to improve our wide receivers. They are in the bottom five of the league and probably not going to improve

Worried about WR - perhaps more worried about O line 

Ravens paid big money for run stopper after they say its a passing league but New England paid big money and draft picks for CB and WR. In Ozzie we trust?

It's good that we clogged the middle, but at what expense now that Dums was part of the sacrifice... will our pash rush be good enough so that our secondary doesn't get exposed on passes? Only time will tell.

2017 is mostly upgrading the defense, 2018 will be upgrading the offense. I believe 2018 will be a big year of us. 2017 might make the playoffs and do some damage. We'll see how that goes.

Throw Hankins or Zach Brown on the list then we're set in FA.
I know there will be plenty of Negative Nancies coming after me just for putting this out there. But how about a 2 year deal for AP? It's an interesting thought to me.

"Zach Brown" is still out there Ozzie. This is huge opportunity to make this defense very dangerous. He probably won't be that expensive because he's underrated. Go get him, it makes too much sense.

Edited by hen826957

We're strong up the middle, great. No pass rush, no corners. If we run into the '86 Giants we'll be in great shape.

Not really, Pathetic Joe'll get sacked eight times, fumble three times and throw four picks. Giants 27, Ravens -10.

This is like the Patriots use of Vince Wilfork. They too paid handsomely for a few key positional players throughout their dynasty. They managed their salary cap personnel roster ruthlessly. The Ravens look like they may be starting to do the same. For years they looked to be the team that stuck with their home grown talent and fan favorites, but that's looks to be slowly changing. Williams is a fan favorite and a stud so the deal checks two boxes. With UDFA rookie Michael Pierce and the quicker journeyman Carl Davis, they have inexpensive depth and D-line rotational coverage. It may seem like they over spent on BW, but they've been doing this for a long time. The contract will likely be renegotiated in year 3 anyway and they will manage the roster with less expensive talent like the Pats tend to do.

12 hours ago, ravensforlife said:

I really expect Perryman and Moore to show improvement this year

On 3/14/2017 at 2:38 PM, GENE2407 said:

Not really, Pathetic Joe'll get sacked eight times, fumble three times and throw four picks. Giants 27, Ravens -10.

Yes but think about how great our corners will look for a change, against Mark Ingram and the legendary Phil McConkey.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:45 PM, ravensforlife said:

2017 is mostly upgrading the defense, 2018 will be upgrading the offense. I believe 2018 will be a big year of us. 2017 might make the playoffs and do some damage. We'll see how that goes.

No, I don't see us making the playoffs this year- our offense is not good enough and avg joe flacco is damaged goods now. I say we try to get Kirk Cousins next year!

Hey Ozzie Bisciotti, If Joe's so damaged and Kirk Cousins looks so good to you, the Redskins are just down Rt 95 on the other side of the beltway.
You're welcomed to jump ship...

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:10 AM, OzzieBisciotti said:

No, I don't see us making the playoffs this year- our offense is not good enough and avg joe flacco is damaged goods now. I say we try to get Kirk Cousins next year!

ya'd haveta take that trade straight up. at lease kirk can read a d

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, Ugly Ball said:

Hey Ozzie Bisciotti, If Joe's so damaged and Kirk Cousins looks so good to you, the Redskins are just down Rt 95 on the other side of the beltway.
You're welcomed to jump ship...

On 16/03/2017 at 5:10 AM, OzzieBisciotti said:

i dont see how giving kirk cousins, a worse qb, a contract much bigger than the one flacco already has will improve the team let alone even be financially viable...

1 hour ago, rossihunter2 said:

i dont see how giving kirk cousins, a worse qb, a contract much bigger than the one flacco already has will improve the team let alone even be financially viable...

40M+ wrapped up in the QB position next year is the best way to go (btw if you cut Flacco that number is now 60M+).  Having 1/4 the salary cap dedicated to 1 of the 22 spots on the field is clearly the genius plan.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:42 PM, The Greek said:

I agree with everything you say about building the team, except your assessment of Dean Pees compared to Gus Bradley.  Dean Pees runs an amazing defensive scheme.  It has so many checks and options that in 2013 Manning and Brady just lined up and ran plays otherwise they would be playing chess with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in Dean Peas Defense.   Dan Quinn runs the same defense as Gus Bradley.  The fatal flaw in the defense is you can always determine if the defense is in zone or man.  That's how the Pats Isolated Atlanta's 4th corner and threw at him almost every play to come back and win.  Dean Pees couldn't make Sharice Wright or the other corners besides Smith run faster.  Dean Peas can only call the plays the players have to execute them.   And I think we are all ready better just by replacing Wright with Carr.  I'd like to add the 4.3 speed of Justin Gilbert for a veterans minimum contract.  He could be the difference in winning a Super Bowl  But as someone who played in a version of the Tampa 2 before it was the Tampa 2, I would much rather play in a scheme like dean Pees. The Tampa 2 was a Monty Kiffin defense right?    Well he was a complex 3-4 scheme in New Orleans but he used to come over the state line just to watch Texas high school games.  Quite a few of us played version of a 2 deep safety base look.  When Kiffin went to Tampa the team was so bad instead of trying to install his defense he put in a version of this 4-3 One gap rush, Two deep safety zone.  He tinkered with it and Rick McKay drafted for him and that'show a relatively common Texas high school and college defense became the Tampa 2.   Sorry I got off topic I hope it was ok I shared the story.

7 hours ago, RobertLRenfroJR@Gmail.com said:

I agree with everything you say about building the team, except your assessment of Dean Pees compared to Gus Bradley.  Dean Pees runs an amazing defensive scheme.  It has so many checks and options that in 2013 Manning and Brady just lined up and ran plays otherwise they would be playing chess with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed in Dean Peas Defense.   Dan Quinn runs the same defense as Gus Bradley.  The fatal flaw in the defense is you can always determine if the defense is in zone or man.  That's how the Pats Isolated Atlanta's 4th corner and threw at him almost every play to come back and win.  Dean Pees couldn't make Sharice Wright or the other corners besides Smith run faster.  Dean Peas can only call the plays the players have to execute them.   And I think we are all ready better just by replacing Wright with Carr.  I'd like to add the 4.3 speed of Justin Gilbert for a veterans minimum contract.  He could be the difference in winning a Super Bowl  But as someone who played in a version of the Tampa 2 before it was the Tampa 2, I would much rather play in a scheme like dean Pees. The Tampa 2 was a Monty Kiffin defense right?    Well he was a complex 3-4 scheme in New Orleans but he used to come over the state line just to watch Texas high school games.  Quite a few of us played version of a 2 deep safety base look.  When Kiffin went to Tampa the team was so bad instead of trying to install his defense he put in a version of this 4-3 One gap rush, Two deep safety zone.  He tinkered with it and Rick McKay drafted for him and that'show a relatively common Texas high school and college defense became the Tampa 2.   Sorry I got off topic I hope it was ok I shared the story.

thank you for sharing but i just do not feel pees is creative enough to disguise blitzes like marvin, rex and chuck were pretty good at doing when the pass rush needed a boost and i feel his age keeps him from being too aggressive at times because he has the old school mentality. he is also slow when adjustments need to me made but he is definitely better than greg mattison but i will wait and see what he does with the roster he will have this season.