• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/14: Remember Anquan Boldin Wanted To Retire A Raven? Maybe He Still Can

58 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  37 minutes ago, JD08 said:
  1 hour ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  2 hours ago, whobilly said:
  2 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  2 hours ago, whobilly said:
  3 hours ago, whobilly said:

If we can sign "Q" for around the same price the Lions did last season he would likely contribute "Only" 60 catches, move the chains, and provide a tough winning attitude.

Sounds like a weaker version of Dennis Pitta, who we just asked to take a paycut.

I rest my case.

2 million and a slot receiver. Obviously a different type of player. Low money for a PROVEN WINNER.

Pitta essentially is a slot receiver. What position did you think he played?

In fact, they're not different types of players at all. They were both extremely inefficient catching the football last season. They were essentially the same player, with one having more volume. And no, I don't care about the # of TDs either caught, because that's a proven unsustainable metric with large fluctuations on an annual basis.

Individual football players aren't proven winners, especially at the WR position. He, like every other player on the field, is completely and utterly dependent on other players on the team to make him a winner.

Individual Players aren't proven winners? I get that it's a team game but I believe Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Rodgers, Brady, and a long list of players would fall into the category of proven winners.

Except when they don't win, which is more often than they do win.

Fun fact: Over half of the seasons that Ray Lewis played the Ravens didn't win a single playoff game. Almost half of them they didn't even make the playoffs.

Is that what constitutes a "winner"?

Let me know which way you want to move the goal post and I'll keep kicking them right through.

Your fun fact sounds dumb smh

Facts are only dumb to those that refuse to listen to them.

All I can do is lead the horse to the water... its up to the horse whether he wants to drown himself in ignorance...

In 17 seasons, 10 playoff appearances w/ 2 Superbowls, 1 and done like 2 times...no team has been that consistent besides the Patriots and Steelers

And you just agreed with me. I noticed that you referenced TEAM names there and not individual player names. Why is that?

Could it be because teams win consistently and individual players don't? In fact, that's exactly what it is. Why do you think Matt Cassell has a career at all?

This ain't rocket science folks.

55 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  1 hour ago, robbie29 said:
  3 hours ago, whobilly said:

If we can sign "Q" for around the same price the Lions did last season he would likely contribute "Only" 60 catches, move the chains, and provide a tough winning attitude.

Sounds like a weaker version of Dennis Pitta, who we just asked to take a paycut.

I rest my case.

Sorry, but Boldin is NOT a weaker version of Dennis Pitta. How do you even back that statement up? Boldin has missed just 2 games in the last 4 years, and hauled in 8 TD passes last season. Even at 36 years old, I'd rather have him on the field than Pitta.

1. I don't care about TD catches, because they are too inconsistent for just about every WR. He caught 8 last year and 7 the two years prior.

2. A lesser version to the extent of receptions, which is what the original commenter said we should sign him for.

If the basis for signing him is so that he will simply catch passes, then he's a lesser version of Pitta to that extent.

3. I don't want Boldin because I want to get younger and better at that position (and frankly most positions). I don't think anybody is looking at this team or roster thinking that we are in a position to make some sort of SB run next season.

Signing him would be some sort of fan-favorite nostalgia move I guess, but I fail to see how the Baltimore Ravens are a better football team long term by signing him.

"I don't care about TD catches"

Seriously?

Not for individual players I don't.

I mean you can pick just about any WR you want. Radical swings in TD catches on a year over year basis.

Everytime I hear somebody say "so and so caught X # of TDs last season, so he's good for that again", they're wrong almost every single time.

Pick the greatest WRs you've ever seen. All have radical shifts in TD catches over a short period of time.

Heck, here's just Ravens examples:

Boldin: first year here he catches 7 TDs. The very next year... he averages 10 yards/game more, has more yardage, increases his Yards/Catch by 2.5 yards... all in 2 less games. His TDs dropped from 7 to 3.

Literally every possibly metric says he was a better, more efficient, more productive WR for this team in 2011 than in 2010, yet his TD numbers were less than half. Why is that?

Torrey Smith: averaged 70 yards/game in 2013, career highs in receptions, yards, YPG, yards/catch, etc. Had 4 TDs

The next year, Ravens career lows in receptions, yardage, YPG, yards/catch... has 11 TDs, almost three times as many. Why is that?

Again, if you guys step away from the box scores, you'll get this.

1 hour ago, budman said:
  2 hours ago, Maurice0094 said:

Too many good CB's are gonna be available in the draft that can play right away, also I think Levine can be a asset at S. I wouldn't block those spots with a declining Webb. I do like Anquan to come back but that's after the draft, if we don't fill the Wr need then bring him back. He gets open, he is tough, he makes contested catches, he offers professionalism but he is 36 yrs old.

Be careful when alluding to those College guys as "Play right now". We have seen time and time again that many can't make the jump to the NFL tier right away. Just look at Lattimore. He couldn't stay healthy on the college level with hamstring problems. NFL training, practices and games are much more rigorous then anything they have ever done.

CB in particular is a position you should never have high expectations for a year 1 contribution. Speed of the game alone takes years to get used to, and a lot of your first round corners end up playing as the #3 or #4 corner in nickel/dime packages for much of their rookie year.

I would have zero expectations that a 1st round corner we take is going to line up outside and start covering quality WRs by himself.

You are right about that. I was high on Sidney Jones, as a CB that I was hoping would fall to us in the draft, until the Achilles injury.

Have him sign and retire a Raven. I just don't see AQ getting done what is needed.

The issue will be if The Ravens need to sub for Wallace or Perriman. At this point they have only Moore and Campinaro.
I think a speedy, big, young receiver is where they will get the most for their money and roster space.

I believe with the signing of Woodhead and Pitta, as well as an athletic Waller who looked better last year, the Ravens have a good core of middle of the field receivers now.

unfortunately, AQ might just be a playmaker that they can do without this year just because of roster space. They may throw him a bone, however it will not be much money and why would he risk injury for so little return.

I don't have to move them. You are Billy Cundiff over and over again. To say Ray Lewis is not a winner and the worthless incorrect points you "Tried" to make is laughable.

1 hour ago, robbie29 said:
  2 hours ago, robbie29 said:
  3 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  4 hours ago, whobilly said:

I rest my case.

Sorry, but Boldin is NOT a weaker version of Dennis Pitta. How do you even back that statement up? Boldin has missed just 2 games in the last 4 years, and hauled in 8 TD passes last season. Even at 36 years old, I'd rather have him on the field than Pitta.

1. I don't care about TD catches, because they are too inconsistent for just about every WR. He caught 8 last year and 7 the two years prior.

2. A lesser version to the extent of receptions, which is what the original commenter said we should sign him for.

If the basis for signing him is so that he will simply catch passes, then he's a lesser version of Pitta to that extent.

3. I don't want Boldin because I want to get younger and better at that position (and frankly most positions). I don't think anybody is looking at this team or roster thinking that we are in a position to make some sort of SB run next season.

Signing him would be some sort of fan-favorite nostalgia move I guess, but I fail to see how the Baltimore Ravens are a better football team long term by signing him.

"I don't care about TD catches"

Seriously?

Not for individual players I don't.

I mean you can pick just about any WR you want. Radical swings in TD catches on a year over year basis.

Everytime I hear somebody say "so and so caught X # of TDs last season, so he's good for that again", they're wrong almost every single time.

Pick the greatest WRs you've ever seen. All have radical shifts in TD catches over a short period of time.

Heck, here's just Ravens examples:

Boldin: first year here he catches 7 TDs. The very next year... he averages 10 yards/game more, has more yardage, increases his Yards/Catch by 2.5 yards... all in 2 less games. His TDs dropped from 7 to 3.

Literally every possibly metric says he was a better, more efficient, more productive WR for this team in 2011 than in 2010, yet his TD numbers were less than half. Why is that?

Torrey Smith: averaged 70 yards/game in 2013, career highs in receptions, yards, YPG, yards/catch, etc. Had 4 TDs

The next year, Ravens career lows in receptions, yardage, YPG, yards/catch... has 11 TDs, almost three times as many. Why is that?

This is separate from your argument, just a statement. For Torrey 2014 IMO was a much better season than his receptions, yardage and YPG show, He was a PI magnet that year and didn't even have to catch the ball half the time to get us 25-50 yards. I felt like every game he was getting PI's on bombs.

he was being interfered when trying try to catch the ball.

lead the league  by a pretty large margin.
was avg like 21.7 yards per penalty.

had like 12 penalties for about 261 yards.

also in 2014 he had 49 receptions which is the same as in 2012 when he also had 49 reception.
quite curious how this is a career low in your eyes lol.
he actually did that with less targets .....

also in 2014 he had 49 receptions which is the same as in 2012 when he also had 49 reception.

Yeah like I said below all his PI's added up and made a big difference.

3 minutes ago, 52liveforever said:

yup.

he was having a pretty good season tbh.

was catching a career passes thrown to him as well even though defenders where all over him lol

Those 11 TDs where tied for 10th best in the NFL also.

3 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  4 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  4 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  5 hours ago, whobilly said:

I rest my case.

2 million and a slot receiver. Obviously a different type of player. Low money for a PROVEN WINNER.

Pitta essentially is a slot receiver. What position did you think he played?

In fact, they're not different types of players at all. They were both extremely inefficient catching the football last season. They were essentially the same player, with one having more volume. And no, I don't care about the # of TDs either caught, because that's a proven unsustainable metric with large fluctuations on an annual basis.

Individual football players aren't proven winners, especially at the WR position. He, like every other player on the field, is completely and utterly dependent on other players on the team to make him a winner.

Individual Players aren't proven winners? I get that it's a team game but I believe Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Rodgers, Brady, and a long list of players would fall into the category of proven winners.

Except when they don't win, which is more often than they do win.

Fun fact: Over half of the seasons that Ray Lewis played the Ravens didn't win a single playoff game. Almost half of them they didn't even make the playoffs.

Is that what constitutes a "winner"?

Let me know which way you want to move the goal post and I'll keep kicking them right through.

I don't have to move them. You are Billy Cundiff over and over again. To say Ray Lewis is not a winner and the worthless incorrect points you "Tried" to make is laughable.

He's a winner because he played with other really good players and his team won.

That's what makes him a winner.

He doesn't throw the ball, he doesn't catch the ball, he doesn't run the ball, he doesn't block for guys.

As an individual football player, 100% of every player who has ever played the sport is extremely limited to a mere handful of things they can do to CONTRIBUTE to a team winning.

12 hours ago, Tru11 said:
14 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

1. Well, if he had 49 twice, and he never had a year lower than that with the Ravens, then by definition, that would be a Ravens career low.

He could do the same reception total 10 times if he wanted to and it would still be a Ravens career low.

2. You do realize that you just made my point for me? He had 46 less targets in 2014 compared to 2013, yet he catches 7 more TDs?

This is the explanation I'm waiting on people to come up with. You throw the ball to him a ton less, and he scores more TDs, yet people think TDs are somehow a viable measurement metric?

And by the way, even if you add back all the PI yardage and give him a reception for every PI he drew (which isn't realistic of course), he would still have a better Yards/catch in 2013, and he would still have more yardage in 2013, though on much higher target volume.

Heck, I'll even make it simple for you guys:

2011: 14 targets per TD
2012: 14 targets per TD
2013: 35 targets per TD
2014: 8 targets per TD

2011: 7 receptions per TD
2012: 6 receptions per TD
2013: 16 receptions per TD
2014: 4 receptions per TD

I would love for somebody to explain to me the sustainability of somebody who consistently catches a TD every 8 times they have a ball thrown in their vicinity, or somebody who catches a TD on 25% of their receptions consistently.

Again, you guys have got to try harder.

I can play this game with just about any receiver in the league who has played long enough in terms of how bad a measurement TD receptions are.

23 minutes ago, Tru11 said:

What impact does that have on him catching TDs?

10 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

he could have had more ?

13 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

he could have had more ?

So the year where he already had 3 times as many in the previous year with like 45 less targets, he could have had more?

O look, more proof of my point.

2 minutes ago, rmcjacket23 said:

So the year where he already had 3 times as many in the previous year with like 45 less targets, he could have had more?

not really though.

your point does not consider the state of the offense.

2013 was a down year for the entire offense with torrey being the only healthy capable receiver.
pretty much explains the spike in volume of targets.
he was leading the NFL for the first few weeks but then slowed down a lot once teams decided to double team him since he was the only weapon.
pretty much explains his lack of TD to.
week 5 was the last time he went over 100 yards receiving for instance.

also when teams have to pick between jacoby and torrey then teams will pick torrey to role coverage to making it harder for him to score TDs.
when teams have to pick between torrey and SSS then it becomes easier.

your point does not consider the QB play in 2013 compared to 2014.
nor the blocking of the oline or the running.
heck your point does not consider the scheme and playbook change for instance.

the only point you have made so far is that you tell people to not look at the boxscore yet yourself build your entire argument based on doing just that......

the fact that you have to ask why there is a difference between 2013 and 2014 is telling quite frankly....

4 hours ago, Maurice0094 said:

Too many good CB's are gonna be available in the draft that can play right away, also I think Levine can be a asset at S. I wouldn't block those spots with a declining Webb. I do like Anquan to come back but that's after the draft, if we don't fill the Wr need then bring him back. He gets open, he is tough, he makes contested catches, he offers professionalism but he is 36 yrs old.

Be careful when alluding to those College guys as "Play right now". We have seen time and time again that many can't make the jump to the NFL tier right away. Just look at Lattimore. He couldn't stay healthy on the college level with hamstring problems. NFL training, practices and games are much more rigorous then anything they have ever done.

Tavon Young beat out vets Wright and Powers for outside corner reps. It can be done. Are you talkin about Marcus Lattimore the Running Back from South Carolina?? Who had the knee injuries??

4 hours ago, budman said:
  4 hours ago, Maurice0094 said:

CB in particular is a position you should never have high expectations for a year 1 contribution. Speed of the game alone takes years to get used to, and a lot of your first round corners end up playing as the #3 or #4 corner in nickel/dime packages for much of their rookie year.

I would have zero expectations that a 1st round corner we take is going to line up outside and start covering quality WRs by himself.

I would prefer a rookie CB drafted in first 4 rounds vs a declining CB that Ravens tried to hide at S. Tavon Young did a fine job so it can be done.

5 hours ago, Drinkmore Beer said:

Ravens looking for a dependable possession receiver with great hands who can run great routes and score in the red zone. Hello? Who does that sound like? Hint : he played here before.

You can say that one again.

1 hour ago, Maurice0094 said:

I would prefer a rookie CB drafted in first 4 rounds vs a declining CB that Ravens tried to hide at S. Tavon Young did a fine job so it can be done.

Reality is we need at least another veteran and 2 rookie CBs

1 hour ago, Maurice0094 said:

Reality is we need at least another veteran and 2 rookie CBs

as long as its not Webb trying to play CB here I'm good with that. Webb is declining as a DB whether that's at CB or Safety.

I bet Ozzie's gut still clinches when he see the name Anquan Boldin. We did him wrong to say the least, especially after what he did for us. Doubt he would ever come back, but we would love it if he did. He'd fill a huge hole beautifully

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:48 PM, Tru11 said:
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, rmcjacket23 said:

not really though.

your point does not consider the state of the offense.

2013 was a down year for the entire offense with torrey being the only healthy capable receiver.
pretty much explains the spike in volume of targets.
he was leading the NFL for the first few weeks but then slowed down a lot once teams decided to double team him since he was the only weapon.
pretty much explains his lack of TD to.
week 5 was the last time he went over 100 yards receiving for instance.

also when teams have to pick between jacoby and torrey then teams will pick torrey to role coverage to making it harder for him to score TDs.
when teams have to pick between torrey and SSS then it becomes easier.

your point does not consider the QB play in 2013 compared to 2014.
nor the blocking of the oline or the running.
heck your point does not consider the scheme and playbook change for instance.

the only point you have made so far is that you tell people to not look at the boxscore yet yourself build your entire argument based on doing just that......

the fact that you have to ask why there is a difference between 2013 and 2014 is telling quite frankly....

So basically there's about a dozen other variables outside of looking at what somebody did in a prior year on a different team that would determine how many TDs, receptions, yards, etc. any individual player will get in a single season.

How is this different from what I said all along?

You could have summed up this entire post with one simple phrase... "I agree with you". You're just regurgitating at this point.

20 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  20 hours ago, budman said:
  20 hours ago, Maurice0094 said:

So would I, but that has nothing to do with Webb, since I never remotely suggested or implies that we should bring him back as a safety or a corner.

Tavon Young had a good year for us. How quickly we forget how irrelevant Jimmy Smith's rookie (and much of his sophomore) year was.

It took 2-3 seasons for him to develop into the player he is now. This list of drafted corners, regardless of round, that don't have a major impact in year 1 is much, much, much longer than the list of rookie corners who do.

Nothing is impossible, but its about setting reasonable expectations.

So basically there's about a dozen other variables outside of looking at what somebody did in a prior year on a different team that would determine how many TDs, receptions, yards, etc. any individual player will get in a single season.

You could have summed up this entire post with one simple phrase... "I agree with you". You're just regurgitating at this point.

Im not agreeing with you.

Im awnsering your question as to why there is a difference in stats between 2013 and 2014 for torrey.

You wanted to know and i told you.
PI and state of the offense among other things.

I certainly dont agree with going off just stats to proof a point what you clearly did as seen below........

19 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

1. Well, if he had 49 twice, and he never had a year lower than that with the Ravens, then by definition, that would be a Ravens career low.

He could do the same reception total 10 times if he wanted to and it would still be a Ravens career low.

2. You do realize that you just made my point for me? He had 46 less targets in 2014 compared to 2013, yet he catches 7 more TDs?

This is the explanation I'm waiting on people to come up with. You throw the ball to him a ton less, and he scores more TDs, yet people think TDs are somehow a viable measurement metric?

And by the way, even if you add back all the PI yardage and give him a reception for every PI he drew (which isn't realistic of course), he would still have a better Yards/catch in 2013, and he would still have more yardage in 2013, though on much higher target volume.

I would love for somebody to explain to me the sustainability of somebody who consistently catches a TD every 8 times they have a ball thrown in their vicinity, or somebody who catches a TD on 25% of their receptions consistently.

I can play this game with just about any receiver in the league who has played long enough in terms of how bad a measurement TD receptions are.

Im not agreeing with you.

Im awnsering your question as to why there is a difference in stats between 2013 and 2014 for torrey.

You wanted to know and i told you.
PI and state of the offense among other things.

I certainly dont agree with going off just stats to proof a point what you clearly did as seen below........

19 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:

Well obviously using stats would be better than using subjective measures like saying somebody was "double teamed a lot" (which you should be able to quantify by the way), or the impact of changes in personnel or gameplan schemes. That's the problem with subjective measurements... they can't actually ever be proven as factual or non-factual. They are theories based on something you perceived to have happened, and there's no ability to accurately gauge the impact of it. You can guess at it, but that's about all you can do with a subjective measurement.

My point about statistics isn't to say that you shouldn't use them. My point is to make sure you use the RIGHT one's. One's that take into account more context. One's that don't just involve looking at how many TDs somebody caught the year before and saying "gee he could do that again".

The stats I referenced you won't find in a box score. You'll find pieces of the pie in a box score, but not anything close to the whole pie.

Well obviously using stats would be better than using subjective measures like saying somebody was "double teamed a lot" (which you should be able to quantify by the way), or the impact of changes in personnel or gameplan schemes. That's the problem with subjective measurements... they can't actually ever be proven as factual or non-factual. They are theories based on something you perceived to have happened, and there's no ability to accurately gauge the impact of it. You can guess at it, but that's about all you can do with a subjective measurement.

My point about statistics isn't to say that you shouldn't use them. My point is to make sure you use the RIGHT one's. One's that take into account more context. One's that don't just involve looking at how many TDs somebody caught the year before and saying "gee he could do that again".

The stats I referenced you won't find in a box score. You'll find pieces of the pie in a box score, but not anything close to the whole pie.

stats are stats.

if stats are all you are going by i wont agree with you.

nothing more and nothing less.

you can agree with me if you think you need more then stats alone.

Edited by Tru11

I bet Ozzie's gut still clinches when he see the name Anquan Boldin. We did him wrong to say the least, especially after what he did for us. Doubt he would ever come back, but we would love it if he did. He'd fill a huge hole beautifully

AGREE! Great blocker. Makes great contested catches. Would be the best red zone target we have. If he would come here for the same deal he signed for last year all he could do is help. He "Only" had 67 catches and 8 TD's (See Red Zone Comment)

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Maurice0094 said:

Tavon Young beat out vets Wright and Powers for outside corner reps. It can be done. Are you talkin about Marcus Lattimore the Running Back from South Carolina?? Who had the knee injuries??

No. Marcus Lattimore- Ohio State. Coming out this year. Hamstring problems all throughout college