• Announcements

• Admin 3

UPDATED: MESSAGE BOARDS CLOSING AFTER DRAFT   03/08/2017

After careful consideration, we have decided that we will sunset our message boards after this year's NFL Draft. Since we opened our boards a decade ago, the digital landscape has greatly evolved. While we understand there remains a smaller group of highly-engaged fans who participate in conversation in our forums, a significant amount of the dialogue about our team and our games has migrated away to other social media platforms over the past several years. Our message boards will remain up and running through Friday, May 5th, and will be removed on May 6th. We recognize that this change may upset avid members of our community. However, we look to utilize our time and resources to focus on how we can best connect with our fans across an array of digital/social outlets. If you are not already engaging us and other members of the Ravens Flock on our Facebook page, Instagram account, through Twitter or Snapchat, we invite you to follow us on those channels and continue to participate in our social communities. In addition, the commenting feature on our website articles will remain intact. Members will be able to continue using their boards account to log in and share their thoughts at the bottom of every news story. We’d like to thank all the Flock members and our moderators who have brought thoughtful conversation to this space and made our community great for the last 10 years. Ravens Social Media Hub »
BR News

[News] Late For Work 3/13: Ravens Are Opening Their Wallets To Get Back To Playoffs

27 posts in this topic

Baltimore has spent more in free agency in the first week than the last two years combined. A closer look at the big three contracts. Top free-agent fits remaining. What Juszczyk and Wagner said after leaving Ravens. First-round cornerback linked to Ravens suffers Achilles tear.

View the full article

I really think we should sign Mangold, Claiborne and Barwin.

1. Doubt we would be able to retain all three.

2. Signing Barwin seems counterproductive to what we are trying to do at that position.

3. I'm not sure Mangold is an upgrade over Zuttah at this point.

Zach Brown and Claiborne.

Zach can take athletic TE's out of the game and has the speed, athleticism and versatility to be very productive along side of CJ. He is still young enough that he could give us several good years (A younger more athletic, more versatile Daryl Smith).

Claiborne has great cover skills and could really go a long way in helping to upgrade our CB position. Yes he is injury prone and but he is young and has a lot of good years left in him. High end talent at the CB position like Claiborne doesn't come along every day. He has a unique skill set that is worth taking a chance on. Plus we are still drafting a young CB so... Claiborne's presence (if nothing else) takes some pressure off of whoever we daft and allows then to develop at their own pace and not need to be thrown right into the fire. This move protects us in so many ways at minimum and has the chance to be a home run for a realistic investment.

Wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Mangold (I do believe that he is healthy and if he is inspired- NOT IN NY- he will be highly productive still). but if we do not bring him in... not feeling like this is a make or break

Clady or Sebatian Vollmer. I believe that Vollmer is still a FA... and would rather see us add him. Sebastian should come cheaper then Clady and is young enough and experienced enough that maybe we haven't seen him find his ceiling yet.

Finally... no sure about Barwin. At 30 years of age... not sure that he helps us like we were hoping. Then when I consider that he is 30 and his production is moving south... it concerns me more. I know he wasn't a good fit in a 4-3 scheme but what can we expect from a 30 year old guy who avgs over his career just over 7 sacks per season. All players see their production slip once over 30 and is he really worth that investment knowing that. On the other side of that coin... he does average 7 plus sacks per season and that is more then most people on our team. maybe a two year contract???? Not sure... wouldn't mind seeing us get younger there.... and maybe drafting a Takkirist McKinney, etc... there instead?

Zach Brown...makes our Defense scary. He is fast and athletic.... we have maybe the most stout DL in the game. We have a pro bowler at LB in CJ... we have the grizzled out veteran on the outside in Suggs and the young athletic Judon. We have maybe the best S duo in football. We have Jimmy and Tavon and look to upgrade the CB position.

Zach compliments CJ very well. CJ's biggest struggle is covering the pass.... Zachs specialty. Zach runs in the low 4.4 range and is athletic enough to take away athletic TE's (Ladarius Green) and fast enough to give cut back RBs fits (G. Benard and L Bell).

Plus Zach has grown to be a physical presence who gets sideline to sideline well posting nearly 150 tackles last season. His athleticism along with CJs allows us to really bring pressure from anywhere and keep OCs guessing.

Sign Zach Brown!

22 hours ago, steelcityraven said:

Zach Brown...makes our Defense scary. He is fast and athletic.... we have maybe the most stout DL in the game. We have a pro bowler at LB in CJ... we have the grizzled out veteran on the outside in Suggs and the young athletic Judon. We have maybe the best S duo in football. We have Jimmy and Tavon and look to upgrade the CB position.

Zach compliments CJ very well. CJ's biggest struggle is covering the pass.... Zachs specialty. Zach runs in the low 4.4 range and is athletic enough to take away athletic TE's (Ladarius Green) and fast enough to give cut back RBs fits (G. Benard and L Bell).

Plus Zach has grown to be a physical presence who gets sideline to sideline well posting nearly 150 tackles last season. His athleticism along with CJs allows us to really bring pressure from anywhere and keep OCs guessing.

Sign Zach Brown!

If Zach plays like he did last year he would be a good pick up, but last year was the only season where he put up good numbers. He played in a 3-4 the year before and didn't have nearly as much success. And Im not really sure what that could be attributed to. Did he get more snaps? Did Rex use him differently than Horton did? Maybe he just needed a change of scenery? He is the full package though. Great in coverage, blitzes well, and would pair nicely with Mosley. Im surprised that he hasn't been signed yet.  It makes me think that he is asking for a contract based solely on last seasons performance rather than a contract that takes his whole body of work into account.

Edited by billiejean

Get Latavius Murray RB. Without an improved, hard nosed, top running game the Ravens could do the same thing as last year, drop the big games. They need to do everything they can, I think Murray can help immensely, and immediately.

All other FA positions can follow if possible, LB, CB, RT and C. But they are not as critical in my opinion to get a #1RB. Where is the biggest weakness?
lets look at the options:

Corners- Smith (1), Young, Canady- CB ?
O Linebackers - Suggs (1), Za Smith, Judon, Beyer - OLB ?
I Linebackers - Mosely (1), McClellan, Correa, Onwausor - ILB?
(ntm other LB -Locombo, Lewis and Luckett)
O line-
Yanda (1) Stanley (1) Lewis (1) Zuttah, Jensen, Nembot, Urschel- Tackle/G/ C ?
(ntm other OL- Skura, Pughsley, Broxton, DeOndre

or West, Allen, Woodhead ( who is more of a receiver option back) - RB?

Dixon's suspension makes it that much more of an absolute necessity!

There are wonderful prospects in the draft that can most possibly strengthen spots. Obviously we need the top 2 picks to start, hopefully the top 4. However, RB will be the hardest to get the largest return from. Expecting 1000yds from a rookie is a ridiculous expectation and honestly that is what the Ravens need more than anything on this team. Considering that the running game makes up more than 25% of the total game play of the entire team, this position, the load, Its effect on the passing game, yardage, first downs, field position, especially for the Ravens, is critical, critical, critical !

Oz, Solve the Running Game, you solve a huge situation and still leaves many possibilities for the remaining positions. Get Murray, I've got a good feeling about him and the Ravens.

I like Z. Brown too, but only after solving the Running Game.
ps. Take a look at Cordelle Patterson WR, K returner, option back

1 hour ago, steelcityraven said:

Zach Brown and Claiborne.

Zach can take athletic TE's out of the game and has the speed, athleticism and versatility to be very productive along side of CJ. He is still young enough that he could give us several good years (A younger more athletic, more versatile Daryl Smith).

Claiborne has great cover skills and could really go a long way in helping to upgrade our CB position. Yes he is injury prone and but he is young and has a lot of good years left in him. High end talent at the CB position like Claiborne doesn't come along every day. He has a unique skill set that is worth taking a chance on. Plus we are still drafting a young CB so... Claiborne's presence (if nothing else) takes some pressure off of whoever we daft and allows then to develop at their own pace and not need to be thrown right into the fire. This move protects us in so many ways at minimum and has the chance to be a home run for a realistic investment.

Wouldn't mind seeing us bring in Mangold (I do believe that he is healthy and if he is inspired- NOT IN NY- he will be highly productive still). but if we do not bring him in... not feeling like this is a make or break

Clady or Sebatian Vollmer. I believe that Vollmer is still a FA... and would rather see us add him. Sebastian should come cheaper then Clady and is young enough and experienced enough that maybe we haven't seen him find his ceiling yet.

Finally... no sure about Barwin. At 30 years of age... not sure that he helps us like we were hoping. Then when I consider that he is 30 and his production is moving south... it concerns me more. I know he wasn't a good fit in a 4-3 scheme but what can we expect from a 30 year old guy who avgs over his career just over 7 sacks per season. All players see their production slip once over 30 and is he really worth that investment knowing that. On the other side of that coin... he does average 7 plus sacks per season and that is more then most people on our team. maybe a two year contract???? Not sure... wouldn't mind seeing us get younger there.... and maybe drafting a Takkirist McKinney, etc... there instead?

I don't think we will/can fill every need through FA, nor should we. I think we will sign a few more guys, but nothing to expensive. Apparently Claiborne is a strong possibility, which I think would be a good signing. I don't know if we will bring in another WR or not, the market isn't to good right now. OL is a possibility as well, but I figure it will be a relatively cheap signing. Instead of Zach Brown, I'd like to see us draft Rueben Foster. He is a freak at ILB and excels in every category, and he also delivers the boom. He would compliment CJ very well and bring a nastiness to our defense. If that would happen, our defense would be scary good on all levels.

3 hours ago, ravenalltheway said:

2. Signing Barwin seems counterproductive to what we are trying to do at that position.

Retain all three? We don't have any of them yet. So we need to obtain before we retain.

They are trying to improve at OLB. Connor Barwin is better than anyone we currently have on the roster for that position. His drop off last year was because the Eagles tried to make him a 4-3 end and move him away from his previous and very successful fun as a 3-4 OLB. This move would be hardly counterproductive.

A healthy Mangold is better than Zuttah and that is the only question in the equation. How healthy is that ankle? Let's not forget that Zuttah was all sorts of banged up last year as well.

2 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  3 hours ago, ravenalltheway said:

Retain all three? We don't have any of them yet. So we need to obtain before we retain.

They are trying to improve at OLB. Connor Barwin is better than anyone we currently have on the roster for that position. His drop off last year was because the Eagles tried to make him a 4-3 end and move him away from his previous and very successful fun as a 3-4 OLB. This move would be hardly counterproductive.

A healthy Mangold is better than Zuttah and that is the only question in the equation. How healthy is that ankle? Let's not forget that Zuttah was all sorts of banged up last year as well.

1. We're trying to get younger at OLB, and give the players we have on the roster the opportunity for more playing time.

Dumervil was the best pass rusher we had on our roster just a week ago, and now he's not for that very reason.

The 3-4/4-3 switch is also quite overblown, considering Barwin had basically one good pass rushing season in a 3-4 in Philly. He was your typical 5-7 sack/season guy save for one great season in 2014.

Also ignores the fact that the defense we play the most is neither a 3-4 nor a 4-3, so it doesn't really matter what the base is.

2. Mangold hasn't been a very productive player for about two years now. Wasn't effective last year when he did play.

Upgrade over Zuttah I guess, but that's not saying much. Much rather see a rookie or another veteran in there.

Ultimately I think both are moot, because we probably would have already signed one or either of these guys if we were extremely interested.

Get Latavius Murray RB. Without an improved, hard nosed, top running game the Ravens could do the same thing as last year, drop the big games. They need to do everything they can, I think Murray can help immensely, and immediately.

All other FA positions can follow if possible, LB, CB, RT and C. But they are not as critical in my opinion to get a #1RB. Where is the biggest weakness?

O line-

There are wonderful prospects in the draft that can most possibly strengthen spots. Obviously we need the top 2 picks to start, hopefully the top 4. However, RB will be the hardest to get the largest return from. Expecting 1000yds from a rookie is a ridiculous expectation and honestly that is what the Ravens need more than anything on this team. Considering that the running game makes up more than 25% of the total game play of the entire team, this position, the load, Its effect on the passing game, yardage, first downs, field position, especially for the Ravens, is critical, critical, critical !

Oz, Solve the Running Game, you solve a huge situation and still leaves many possibilities for the remaining positions. Get Murray, I've got a good feeling about him and the Ravens.

Murray has average 4.0 YPC (not that impressive) behind a dominant offensive line for a few years now.

That's called a MAJOR red flag. He won't be a Raven.

Looks like we getting Morris Claiborne, now one more signing l want Ozzie to get is Zach Brown then is on to the draft. If they want Mangold, they gonna have to cut Zuttah. Zuttah is younger and healthier at this point on his career than Mangold but when healthy, Mangold is the better option.

Would be nice if we get Zach Brown, if so I could see us picking up Derek Barnett in the first round, then go with a CB for the 2nd round, since it looks like Clairborne will be coming here

I want to see Correa can't keep pushing these kids back and back time to put him in the fire!

5 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

O line-

Murray has average 4.0 YPC (not that impressive) behind a dominant offensive line for a few years now.

stats make it easy for conjecture, what you didn't address is the problem in the Ravens running game.

At least I proposed my opinion on a decent solution. I will stick to it.
What would you do?

However I will add that there are a few RB's in FA that could help the Ravens in the same fashion.

38 minutes ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

stats make it easy for conjecture, what you didn't address is the problem in the Ravens running game.

What would you do?

However I will add that there are a few RB's in FA that could help the Ravens in the same fashion.

I mean we do still have Tali, granted I don't know if he will ever be healthy enough to play more than like 1 game at a time, but I mean he's that often forgotten guy who showed some promise in the past. 

.....and the fans will be opening their wallets too. Not this one. As long as we have Dunkin Jo-nuts- the product is faulty

10 hours ago, steelcityraven said:

Sign Zach Brown!

I agree. Hope Ozzie hears y'all loud and clear. Lol 😂👍

I don't know about these signings. I'm not sold on Jefferson, we overpaid for Williams and what was the point of adding Woodhead.

Jefferson may have the same opportunities in this scheme as opposed to Arizona's. Dean Pees is not Todd Bowles or James Bettcher. I haven't seen him come with any exotic looks. Granite he doesn't have the corners that Arizona had either. We will have to see if Pees uses him well.

We could've signed Poe for half of what was given to Williams. A guy who is just as athletic. Poe does need to be motivated sometimes, but there is not a drastic difference between the two. Both are 2 down players and with the depth we have on the D-line, Poe will probably play better that he did in KC because of less snaps.

We need a back who can take a 5 yard run and make it a 70 yard touchdown. That is not Woodhead. He is a 32 year old back coming off an ACL tear. We know it takes a year after recovery to be a full strength, so that will be in 2018. He is a scatback. We will draft or pickup another back with speed so that will gives us...6 half backs.

I just think this was an attempt to save Harbaugh's and Ozzie's but, which I can understand. We need to build this team through the draft and use free agents sparingly.

19 hours ago, rmcjacket23 said:
  19 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

O line-

What would you do?

1. Well its not so much about stats making it conjecture as it is just understanding what's happening.

I mean why don't the Raiders want Murray back if he's a decent RB? Certainly not because of price tag. These are the questions fans need to ask themselves first and foremost... why is this player available and why wasn't he successful with his previous team?

2. What would I do? Pretty much nothing. If he hadn't gotten suspended, I'd give Dixon 20-25 touches a game. That's what I would do.

His suspension changes things, and that's why we signed Woodhead.

I'd also look how the draft plays out. I'm not even opposed on using the 1st round pick on a RB if a really good one presents itself because, again, we need playmakers on offense, and RBs certainly qualify there.

Most likely would look to day 2-3 to add another RB. And if we add nobody, that's fine with me too.

I don't know about these signings. I'm not sold on Jefferson, we overpaid for Williams and what was the point of adding Woodhead.

Jefferson may have the same opportunities in this scheme as opposed to Arizona's. Dean Pees is not Todd Bowles or James Bettcher. I haven't seen him come with any exotic looks. Granite he doesn't have the corners that Arizona had either. We will have to see if Pees uses him well.

We could've signed Poe for half of what was given to Williams. A guy who is just as athletic. Poe does need to be motivated sometimes, but there is not a drastic difference between the two. Both are 2 down players and with the depth we have on the D-line, Poe will probably play better that he did in KC because of less snaps.

We need a back who can take a 5 yard run and make it a 70 yard touchdown. That is not Woodhead. He is a 32 year old back coming off an ACL tear. We know it takes a year after recovery to be a full strength, so that will be in 2018. He is a scatback. We will draft or pickup another back with speed so that will gives us...6 half backs.

I just think this was an attempt to save Harbaugh's and Ozzie's but, which I can understand. We need to build this team through the draft and use free agents sparingly.

1. In regards to Jefferson, I don't think he's an All-World player, but then again, he's not really getting paid like one either.

At the end of the day, we need more youth, more speed, and more efficiency at safety. Webb is a good football player, but he brings none of those things.

We could have not signed Jefferson, but then again, we'd still be needing to address the safety position in the draft (among like a dozen other positions), and there's a good chance we would have been unsuccessful at doing so. Weddle only has like another year or two left in him, so locking up Jefferson makes sense.

2. You could've signed Poe for half the price... on a one year contract only. He's not signing a long term deal with anybody for $5-6M a year, otherwise he'd already be signed by now, because half the league would have given him that.

So you sign him for one year, he plays great, and then you pay him Brandon Williams money next season or let him walk. Same predicament, just delayed.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Williams deal either, but if you're going to spend money, at least do it retaining your own guys. Very few teams in this league are successful signing a lot of FAs every year. I had zero interest in using $8M of cap space on some veteran FA who probably wouldn't be any good anyway, because the market for those this season was pretty poor.

3. There's only a handful of backs in the league with that capability, and most of them don't play for winning teams. That's not a requirement to field a winning team.

We may get one in the draft, we may not. Depends on how it shakes out. We need playmakers on offense in general, and that doesn't necessarily require a speed RB.

.....and the fans will be opening their wallets too. Not this one. As long as we have Dunkin Jo-nuts- the product is faulty

Doesn't matter. The NFL makes more money off of you when you sit at home and watch the game while you eat bons bons.

Couldn't care less if you came to the stadium. There's tens of thousands of people who will gladly come in your place and have been waiting a while to do so.

People go to or watch the game when the team can win. Ravens have made a few changes but the BIG problem with our offense is still here. Draft a QB, LB, RB and O-lineman.

21 hours ago, bigcatfrank1 said:

O line-

We aren't going to pick up Murray or Lacy.  We have two fine running backs and I know you think one of them is a "dufus".  It is true that Dixon is no Ezekiel Elliott, and he has flaws, but the term "dufus" does not accurately describe any of them.  Im sure we will add a guy from the draft or a guy in FA that will come cheap.  We DONT need to pick up a 1000 yards rusher.  You are getting to hung up on that stat.  You need to look at the yards per carry.  We aren't going to draft a rookie and expect or need him to get 1000 yards because he will be splitting carries.  This isn't 1995, you don't have to have one workhorse running back to win games.  It seems that you may be new to the game and if that is so, I would ask you to look at the Patriots RBs as of late.  Most of the guys that they have used are cast offs, late rounders, or UDFAs.  They have gone to the super bowl 7 times since 2000 and they have only had a 1000 yard rusher 3 of those times.  1000 yards is just a number.  It doesn't mean anything.

Edited by billiejean