K-Dog

Thank You Lardarius Webb

103 posts in this topic

Conversation

Jeff Zrebiec‏ @jeffzrebiecsun

Don't know breakdown yet on Webb's new deal. Max value over the three years is $10.5 million.

1 minute ago, arnie_uk said:

3 yrs 10.5 lol is a very big deal for a back up safety. 

Depends on how much is guaranteed. Being able to step in at corner ups his value as well.

1 hour ago, Tank 92 said:

You and my oldest son get some more mileage out of that jersey!  

And my wife and my daughter.  All three of us have Webb jerseys .

21 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Depends on how much is guaranteed. Being able to step in at corner ups his value as well.

This and the way teams are using safeties now it's  probably mandatory for the number 3 safety to be ready to start right away and often. . Duron Harmon was The Patriots back up safety and got a 4 year deal and saw like 500 snaps on defense. If Webb who was rated as the 15th best safety last year is due for just as many snaps or more than Harmon then this is a reasonable deal

4 minutes ago, jazz1988 said:

This and the way teams are using safeties now it's  probably mandatory for the number 3 safety to be ready to start right away and often. . Duron Harmon was The Patriots back up safety and got a 4 year deal and saw like 500 snaps on defense. If Webb who was rated as the 15th best safety last year is due for just as many snaps or more than Harmon then this is a reasonable deal

Being a long time player on the team is worth something as well. Not necessarily for a "loyalty credit", but knowing the system well, no learning curve.

3 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Being a long time player on the team is worth something as well. Not necessarily for a "loyalty credit", but knowing the system well, no learning curve.

It also isn't easy to find  young or safety in general that are able to   play that true center fielder role at free safety which is something Webb was capable of doing last year.

1 minute ago, jazz1988 said:

It also isn't easy to find  young or safety in general that are able to   play that true center fielder role at free safety which is something Webb was capable of doing last year.

I wouldn't be surprised if his "release" was similar to the Justin Forsett deal a couple of years ago. 

52 minutes ago, Tank 92 said:

Very well put @Tank 92 Being able to step in at both the safety and at the CB positions makes a guy worth more money for sure.

1 hour ago, arnie_uk said:

3 yrs 10.5 lol is a very big deal for a back up safety. 

It's an "up to" though so I imagine there are plenty of incentives and option years that don't have to be picked up.  Wouldn't shock me if this is just another 1 year deal.

Edited by rmw10

Lets the FO worry about the contract; I'm happy that Webby is back cuz he loves Ravens nation as much as we love him...he's done so many positive things for the community.

Welcome back Webb!!

I wonder if Webb is going to resume return duties with Camp.

9 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

I hope not, we need a real kick and punt returner.

11 minutes ago, K-Dog said:

Just now, Somerset Ravens said:

I think he would probably just fair catch punts.

18 minutes ago, Somerset Ravens said:

Camp is legit.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:27 PM, K-Dog said:

I hope this is true.

I don't want to change my avatar......

for a message board that is closing....

:mad:

Topic title edit?

5 hours ago, Tank 92 said:

Topic title edit?

Nah.

We appreciate him no matter what. 

The Webb deal is fantastic.

There are several possibilities now.

1. We can move Jefferson down to ILB on nickle/dime packages while Webb plays safety. Allowing Jefferson to cover TEs(something he does very well), and having two good safeties over the top

2. Webb can play slot CB when Jimmy goes down. Tavon proved he's more than capable of holding his own on the outside. Webb provides much needed depth and veteran experience.

3. 3 safety sets could be a thing now. We use a third safety a lot in the rotation, and Webb would still be playing a lot.

All in all I think it is safe to say we have the best safety core in the entire league. We need to go draft an edge rusher and I like the direction of the defense 

18 hours ago, 52520Andrew said:

Nice to have Webb back at a lower price, can help at a variety of positions and allows us to focus on a more long term solution at CB as opposed to someone who needs to play now(and that makes us a real intriguing option for a certain player hint hint)

I wonder who you are talking about?

59 minutes ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

1. We can move Jefferson down to ILB on nickle/dime packages while Webb plays safety. Allowing Jefferson to cover TEs(something he does very well), and having two good safeties over the top

2. Webb can play slot CB when Jimmy goes down. Tavon proved he's more than capable of holding his own on the outside. Webb provides much needed depth and veteran experience.

3. 3 safety sets could be a thing now. We use a third safety a lot in the rotation, and Webb would still be playing a lot.

All in all I think it is safe to say we have the best safety core in the entire league. We need to go draft an edge rusher and I like the direction of the defense 

I agree and well put.

Great to have him back and was always one of my favorites.  Would assume this means more dime packages too.  Will help with disguises too.

If we draft Malik McDowell at 16 to replace and upgrade the hell out of Jernigan, who is undoubtedly the most talented realistic possibility at 16, then this defense is probably the best in the league. This run stopping front, this secondary, all elite, the only thing missing is an edge rush but Judon and Suggs could prove formidable as hell and drafting a McDowell gives an elite talent who plays at 7 different down techniques at a very high level. If one of urban, Henry, or kaufusi pan out as a good 5T as well then we have something special. 2 solid edge rushing OLBs, an elite 5T/3T hybrid and another good 5T with a guy like williams to push the pocket up front will have our pass rush improving in a big way

17 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

I really like the idea of the 6 DB's in obvious passing downs. 3 safety's and 3 corners with the quality of players we have could be deadly. But, we still need a rush.

17 hours ago, JoeyFlex5 said:

If we draft Malik McDowell at 16 to replace and upgrade the hell out of Jernigan, who is undoubtedly the most talented realistic possibility at 16, then this defense is probably the best in the league. This run stopping front, this secondary, all elite, the only thing missing is an edge rush but Judon and Suggs could prove formidable as hell and drafting a McDowell gives an elite talent who plays at 7 different down techniques at a very high level. If one of urban, Henry, or kaufusi pan out as a good 5T as well then we have something special. 2 solid edge rushing OLBs, an elite 5T/3T hybrid and another good 5T with a guy like williams to push the pocket up front will have our pass rush improving in a big way

Apparently McDowell has been awful in interviews. Work ethic is definitely a question mark and the inconsistencies show up on tape. But he is one of the 5 most talented players in this class imo

20 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

Well said. Our sub packages are going to be amazing. Our players can blitze from any situation. Last but not least, we can handle injuries if they come. We were lucky last year but if history is an indicator then you eventually will play without one of your starting safeties sooner or later so we are prepared for that as well.

to whoever mentioned his 3.5 mil a year salary as steep. Just keep in mind that K.Lewis and K.Arrington were scheduled to make 2.5 a piece so we're good.

21 hours ago, LosT_in_TranSlatioN said:

BINGO!

Looks like Webb is getting his number back from Jefferson. Jefferson will wear 23 and Tavon is going to wear 25.